Happy anniversary!

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Happy anniversary!

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Bill McGraw's column on the anniversary of the riots in today's Freep was pretty good, but could've dug a lot deeper. Here's how it ended:

Forty years after the 1967 riot, Detroit has made great strides in rebuilding its downtown and riverfront, but many neighborhoods are poorer and shabbier than in 1967. Flight continues, but now many African-American families are moving to the suburbs.

As the region's economic crisis lingers, many suburbs are experiencing the population loss and commercial abandonment that were the first signs in the 1950s that Detroit was in decline. Once fast-growing Warren lately has been losing a higher percentage of residents than Detroit, and the question of how to handle blight has become one of the city's major political issues.

Race relations remain complex and problematic, and they pop up in everything from actual assaults, to regional debates about the zoo, to the water system and expanding Cobo Center.

There is no white or black public figure who can be considered an outspoken leader on improving race relations: If you are white and from the suburbs, appearing too sympathetic to Detroit can be career suicide. If you are a black Detroiter, appearing too sympathetic to suburbia can get you branded as an Uncle Tom.

The ongoing integration of suburbia eventually could change the racial dynamic across 8 Mile.

Some year, metro Detroiters might be able to debate issues, like rebuilding the region, without racial rancor. Some year, the riot might seem irrelevant.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/COL27/707200367&theme=DETROITRIOT072007&imw=Y

And that's where you really can get into the riot's legacy. Is Detroit much better a place to live for the average black family? I'm willing to bet the Freep and News and the rest of our rah-rah media wouldn't like a lot of the answers they'd get.

McGraw also threw in this little nugget:

Reynolds Farley, a University of Michigan sociologist, said this week: "For some decades, Detroit has been the most negatively stereotyped major city in the country. Part of that, I suspect, is attributable to the riot and its consequences."

No fucking shit, Einstein. And that might be the best pompous twit professor name ever.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Random Douchebag » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:04 pm

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6216

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:56 am:

Capitol Park has been a spot for crackheads and po'folks for over 20 years. Gentrificators are looking forward to revitize that area into their liking.
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Re: Happy anniversary!

Postby Mud Bug » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Speaking of anniversaries....

Kurt Cobain Remembered 20 Years After He Died

http://time.com/50739/kurt-cobain-anniversary-nirvana/

It's been twenty years. Time sure flies.

I spent most of the 1990s kicking around the Pacific Northwest, right at the time the Seattle sound went mainstream and can remember the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. It was December, 1991, and I was driving from Port Angeles, WA to visit a friend Eugene, Oregon. The song came on as I was on I-5 crossing the Columbia River minutes from Portland. Some of you may remember this period as the dying era of hair metal, and many have blamed Nirvana as the final coupe de grace to bands like Poison, Ratt, and Whitesnake (I happen to belong to the camp that believes Guns N' Roses killed Eighties metal and Nirvana simply filled the void left after the genre went supernova, but that's neither here nor there).

And I can remember when his death was announced, twenty years ago yesterday. Again, I was driving and listening to the radio, east of Gresham, OR, near Mt. Hood.

I've never bought into the deification of Cobain, but I get that every generation has its unlikely heros and time has only cemented this cardigan-wearing rock singer as the voice of the 1990s. He changed music, but for the better? I dunno... whenever I stop by the Lithium channel (grunge rock) on SiriusXM and a Smashing Pumpkins or Stone Temple Pilots song is playing, I want to drive into the Detroit River. And the sludge that followed (Korn, Limp Bizkit, et. al.) was even worse. Right now I'd say the rock genre is mostly dead, killed off by the self-cannibalizing prodigies that morphed from the abarrent genes of grunge rock. Thanks, Kurt.

I read his estate was now worth $450 million. Wow. Imagine the used cardigans he could've bought with that dough.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:29 pm

...whenever I stop by the Lithium channel...

Lithium, as in the maintenance drug for bipolars? Great name.

All I can say about KB is that once you marry Courtney Love, a shotgun in the mouth is really the only thing that makes sense.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:49 am

Mud Bug wrote:Speaking of anniversaries....

Kurt Cobain Remembered 20 Years After He Died

http://time.com/50739/kurt-cobain-anniversary-nirvana/

It's been twenty years. Time sure flies.

I spent most of the 1990s kicking around the Pacific Northwest, right at the time the Seattle sound went mainstream and can remember the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. It was December, 1991, and I was driving from Port Angeles, WA to visit a friend Eugene, Oregon. The song came on as I was on I-5 crossing the Columbia River minutes from Portland. Some of you may remember this period as the dying era of hair metal, and many have blamed Nirvana as the final coupe de grace to bands like Poison, Ratt, and Whitesnake (I happen to belong to the camp that believes Guns N' Roses killed Eighties metal and Nirvana simply filled the void left after the genre went supernova, but that's neither here nor there).

And I can remember when his death was announced, twenty years ago yesterday. Again, I was driving and listening to the radio, east of Gresham, OR, near Mt. Hood.

I've never bought into the deification of Cobain, but I get that every generation has its unlikely heros and time has only cemented this cardigan-wearing rock singer as the voice of the 1990s. He changed music, but for the better? I dunno... whenever I stop by the Lithium channel (grunge rock) on SiriusXM and a Smashing Pumpkins or Stone Temple Pilots song is playing, I want to drive into the Detroit River. And the sludge that followed (Korn, Limp Bizkit, et. al.) was even worse. Right now I'd say the rock genre is mostly dead, killed off by the self-cannibalizing prodigies that morphed from the abarrent genes of grunge rock. Thanks, Kurt.

I read his estate was now worth $450 million. Wow. Imagine the used cardigans he could've bought with that dough.

I remember I was working as a file clerk at an accounting firm in Bloomfield Hills when I heard the news about his death. The 70-something secretary to one of the partners told me. A bizarre way to learn it as far as I'm concerned.

I also remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time at a Halloween dance in 1991, definitely a moment where I was thinking "Who is this?"

It's tough to put anyone on a pedestal the older I get, even the people I truly admire. As time goes on Cobain feels like a temporary blip on the radar. The whole concept of a stripped-down show/concert was appealing for a while but I gotta admit if I go to a concert I'd prefer to be entertained and blown away rather than watch someone depressingly sit on a chair for 90 minutes and strum his guitar. I'll listen to that kind of music in solitude thank you very much.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 am

Cobain and Nirvana came a little bit after my time, which is to say that when Grunge was rising life was happening and so I'd stopped believing in rock 'n roll heroes. Funny, and maybe this makes me an old man, but at this particular moment I cannot name one band that debuted after maybe 1990 that has captured my ear. Single albums, yes, but it's as though that as teen and college years slipped behind so did the willingness of ear and heart to truly embrace new rockers. I can assert that I didn't really care for grunge, but I don't know if that's because the sound was blah or because everything "new" since the early 90s has been collapsed into a broad category that I think of as pop: sometimes rockin', sometimes catchey, and sometimes thought-provoking, but never inciting the level of excitment spurred, say, by a new album from Honeymoon Suite or Cinderella.

Ronnie James Dio died a few years ago and I was shaken by the death maybe for the same reasons that I didn't care about Cobain's: Dio was of my era and Cobain was not. Nirvana comes across my radio and I'm pretty much meh, but Heaven and Hell, Neon Knights, or Turn and Walk Away spring up and I'm taken back to places and times that were comfortable and in some ways better. Musical tastes are all subjective anyway, so it doesn't pay to sneer at the grunge fans who cried then and who today think back and say "damn, I remember it like it was yesterday."
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am

I was driving to a friend's wedding in Indy when the news came over the radio that Cobain had offed himself. Wasn't shaken by the news, but I could appreciate the fact "Nevermind" changed a lot in music, sometimes for the better (it pretty much ended the shitty hair bands like Warrant, etc., cold in their tracks) and sometimes for the worse (every label tried like hell to come up with something comparable). "In Utero," for what it's worth, is one of the best produced albums I've ever heard. Cobain sure wrote one hell of a suicide note.

That said, Nirvana's loud-quiet sound owes a helluva debt to the Pixies.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:30 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote: "In Utero," for what it's worth, is one of the best produced albums I've ever heard. Cobain sure wrote one hell of a suicide note.

Agree. It's gotta be in the top 10 of any all-time influential/iconic album list.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Beav » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:12 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Cobain sure wrote one hell of a suicide note.

One line which he stole from Neil Young.

I was manning the reference desk at the Maud S. Mark Public Library in Katy, Texas. I was there when I found out about the OK City bombing as well.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Toolbox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the death of Wendy O Williams of Plasmatics' fame.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-19980409

Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Re:

Postby Heywood McCrakin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Random Douchebag wrote:Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6216

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:56 am:

Capitol Park has been a spot for crackheads and po'folks for over 20 years. Gentrificators are looking forward to revitize that area into their liking.

cause it would be MUCH better with crackheads and drunks.
GO BUCKEYES!

www.the3wows.com
Heywood McCrakin
Hot Fudge Downtown Diva

Postby RoryKasel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm

The Offspring released the Smash album 20 years ago today.
RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 am

Question for the ladies: isn't it true that every little girl grows up with the hope of having a twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and to receive a set of commemorative silver anniversary salt and pepper shakers? This is my understanding. I was out trolling consignment stores for a scrub plane yesterday and found a used set of aforementioned shakers. Best part is that they were only a buck for the two. I am so going to get laid when our 25th rolls around!

Postby middle aged female » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Question for the ladies: isn't it true that every little girl grows up with the hope of having a twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and to receive a set of commemorative silver anniversary salt and pepper shakers? This is my understanding. I was out trolling consignment stores for a scrub plane yesterday and found a used set of aforementioned shakers. Best part is that they were only a buck for the two. I am so going to get laid when our 25th rolls around!

If you give her that, you're going to get laid out.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:46 am

middle aged female wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Question for the ladies: isn't it true that every little girl grows up with the hope of having a twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and to receive a set of commemorative silver anniversary salt and pepper shakers? This is my understanding. I was out trolling consignment stores for a scrub plane yesterday and found a used set of aforementioned shakers. Best part is that they were only a buck for the two. I am so going to get laid when our 25th rolls around!

If you give her that, you're going to get laid out.

I hope that you're wrong about this, because I planned ahead and got the 45th anniversary set too: $3.50. Just planning ahead.

Next

Return to General Discussion