Our 4-Legged Friends PDJ

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Our 4-Legged Friends PDJ

Postby Vow of Silence » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:53 am

MICHIGAN wrote:
jmy wrote:I have been at war with a rat in the garden all summer. When I noticed the first nibbles, I thought it was a squirrel eating the vegetables. Then I saw holes in the ground and thought mole or vole or some underground creature. One night, every ear of corn was chewed on. Then the baby rats were running all over. (One person mistook them for bunnies.) The littles ones were easy to dispatch and most went to the snap trap, though the neighborhood cat made off with a couple. I couldn't catch mama rat, though. I saw her, the dogs saw her, but she was too sly.

I was seriously contemplating a high-powered pellet rifle and night scope, but this morning the dog came through. With a squeak and a shake, the rat was dead. The dog got an extra cookie. It almost makes up for the time she tore apart a down pillow. Almost.

Cross-post: Where to Drop a Rat in Detroit.

Few events in life are as satisfying as defeating a cunning rat. They are wily and formidable opponents, worthy of our respect on the field of battle. This makes the glory of victory all the sweeter when you can finally taste it.

"..... .. .......... .... ..........."
Vow of Silence
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Tue May 31, 2016 5:20 pm

Gorillas are endangered. Last I checked there was no shortage of people who can't be bothered to watch their children. Did you really need to kill the animal? It wasn't enough to put him in a jail? Call it a learning experience for the kid and move on. Fuck.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby guest » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Seasonality of auricular amputations in rabbits

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 26582/full
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 pm

guest wrote:
Seasonality of auricular amputations in rabbits

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 26582/full

middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Two-legged friends, in this case:

Had to drive to get some ice and such this morning to host Easter dinner and as I turned the corner on the street (which does back up to a large patch of woods) to go to the gas station, here are two turkeys just standing in the middle of the road like they're talking about how each other's kids are doing in school. Never budged when I got close to them, never budged when traffic was coming the other way.

Guess they weren't too worried, what with everyone eating ham on Easter Sunday and all.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Two-legged friends, in this case:

Had to drive to get some ice and such this morning to host Easter dinner and as I turned the corner on the street (which does back up to a large patch of woods) to go to the gas station, here are two turkeys just standing in the middle of the road like they're talking about how each other's kids are doing in school. Never budged when I got close to them, never budged when traffic was coming the other way.

Guess they weren't too worried, what with everyone eating ham on Easter Sunday and all.

We have a family cabin up north and those turkeys are everywhere. I have had to hit the brakes so may times because a flock, or, I dunno the right word for a fuckton of turkeys, is just waddling across the road. Also, I will now refer to a group of turkeys as a 'fuckton' and nobody can tell me otherwise.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:Two-legged friends, in this case:

We have a family cabin up north and those turkeys are everywhere. I have had to hit the brakes so may times because a flock, or, I dunno the right word for a fuckton of turkeys, is just waddling across the road. Also, I will now refer to a group of turkeys as a 'fuckton' and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Those damn turkeys...They were reintroduced into Michigan something like 30 years ago and have since exploded in number. It's said that they are very smart birds but judging by what I've seen and read this praise might be misplaced. For example, a few years ago there was one big turkey who would stand on the shoulder of southbound I-75 in the Clarkston area during the morning rush hour. Who knows what the bird was up to, but it felt sort of like the case of kid hovering his toe just above a line and sing-songing "I'm NOT touching your property!" After maybe a week of this there was a dead turkey on the shoulder. Another data point comes from the gun club where I go to shoot. The rifle range is basically a long open field with woods down each side, and for a while there was a hen with her clutch (fuckton?) of little turkeys who at random times would leave the woods on one side and then walk leisurely across the field to the woods on the other side. Credit goes to the gun nuts for not picking the birds off, but I'll admit that the thought occurred to me.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:58 am

It's been an interesting transition from GPP to NW Indiana.
We're hardly in the country, but we're close enough that critters are a common thing now. Opossums and raccoons are plentiful in neighborhoods that back up to wooded areas and the city keeps tabs on a group of deer in one of its larger greenspaces.
The turkeys were a new one on me, but still pretty cool.

I guess I'm a long way from the stray rat and pheasants I got used to during those bike rides in Detroit.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby guest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:07 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:It's been an interesting transition from GPP to NW Indiana.
We're hardly in the country, but we're close enough that critters are a common thing now. Opossums and raccoons are plentiful in neighborhoods that back up to wooded areas and the city keeps tabs on a group of deer in one of its larger greenspaces.

I guess I'm a long way from the stray rat and pheasants I got used to during those bike rides in Detroit.

I've got a decent menagerie going at Maison d' Guest, including an otter, a big 'possum, trash stealing squirrels, ducks, geese, occasionally swans and I've even sighted what looks like a blue heron more than once.

They say there's beaver on Belle Isle. That's good eating if it's cleaned right.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm

guest wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:It's been an interesting transition from GPP to NW Indiana.

I've got a decent menagerie going at Maison d' Guest, including an otter, a big 'possum, trash stealing squirrels, ducks, geese, occasionally swans and I've even sighted what looks like a blue heron more than once.

They say there's beaver on Belle Isle. That's good eating if it's cleaned right.

Oh, the things I could say; we'll just say vinegar is safest.
middle aged female

Postby Toolbox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:53 am

We moved from Clawson to Southfield last fall. We get the same animals as we did in Clawson but there are way more deer. Meliss sent a picture of a pair ransacking our bird feeders one afternoon, fenced yasrd too.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am

Toolbox wrote:

We moved from Clawson to Southfield last fall. We get the same animals as we did in Clawson but there are way more deer. Meliss sent a picture of a pair ransacking our bird feeders one afternoon, fenced yasrd too.

Yeah, I haven't seen deer over here, but we have a plethora of racoons, possums and rats.
middle aged female

Previous

Return to General Discussion