Hot Fudge Kwame Time: Part II

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Hot Fudge Kwame Time

Postby Andy » Tue May 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Kwame deserves his own thread. Let's all set aside some time for Kwame here.

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Tuesday there are no plans to change the way his Civic Fund operates.

The non-tax deductible organization came under fire last week following a broadcast report that it paid $8,500 for lodging for Kilpatrick, his wife, their three sons and someone to watch the children at the exclusive La Costa Resort and Spa in Southern California.

Kilpatrick Civic Fund board members said the organization picked up the seven-day bill because it asked the Detroit mayor to meet with people in California and fundraise for the organization.

"I don't spend money out of the city coffers," Kilpatrick said. "It's not a taxpayer issue. The Civic Fund has been audited and has several clean audit reports. It operates and runs with all the regulations that it should."

William Phillips, Civic Fund legal counsel and board member, and Kilpatrick's chief of staff Christine Beatty said the fund pays for voter education and other civic activities. Beatty also is on the Civic Fund's board.

They said $1,208.09 in incidentals at the Carlsbad, Calif., resort was briefly charged to Kilpatrick's city-issued credit card, but later was put on the mayor's personal credit card.

The executive director of a Lansing-based political watchdog group said that while the rules may be followed the issue is one of openness.

"If this is doing good works and educating people, I'd love to see those types of products so there is some evidence of those works being done," said Rich Robinson, executive director of the Michigan Campaign Finance Network, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that studies money and politics.

Civic funds provide a way for large contributions to be made and donors to remain anonymous, he said.

"But money isn't given for selfless reasons," Robinson said. "If we don't have an opportunity to see who is giving money like this there is no way to assess any conflict of interest involved or the nature of the relationship of the giver and receiver."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/13325107/detail.html
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Wed May 16, 2007 7:49 am

The mayor acknowledged that Detroiters see the hotels and other development downtown, and said there needs to be “a tenacious focus on neighborhood development.” He added: “We can’t do the whole city at once. And so what we’re doing for the rest of the city is what we’ve always been doing. We’re going to pick up the trash. We’re going make sure the lights come on…We’re going to cut the city parks. We’re going to patrol this thing with the police department. We’re going to put out fires.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 7/70515072

How about talking about the grass being cut after it's cut instead of this "We're going to" bullshit?
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 am

The Action News investigation of money spent by a tax-exempt, non-profit group for Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's lavish family vacation has taken an ugly turn. When confronted by Ray Sayah, the mayor threw his microphone down a hallway -- while a camera was rolling.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?con ... 100dbef6af
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Mud Bug » Wed May 16, 2007 8:01 am

UPDATE: Mayor Kilpatrick Throws Microphone

Mayor Tells Associated Press Civic Fund Won't Change
The Action News investigation of money spent by a tax-exempt, non-profit group for Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's lavish family vacation has taken an ugly turn. When confronted by Ray Sayah, the mayor threw his microphone down a hallway -- while a camera was rolling.

While he does his best to duck the latest controversy to dog him, our Action News investigative team has caught up with Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, literally, as he ran from questions. The issue, of course, is why he took at least 86-hundred from a tax-exempt civic fund for a family vacation at a swanky spa in California last summer. Our investigator Ray Sayah joins us now after an encounter which prompted a very angry response, didn’t it Ray?

[SAYAH]
It certainly did. Rremember, this is the same mayor who blamed a “lack of good communication” when Action News caught him being untruthful about that infamous Navigator…and tonight, it’s déjà vu all over again…and not just a lack of willingness to face the latest issue of mis-spending, but a decidedly uncivil response when we finally found him.

TO AVOID ANSWERING QUESTIONS, MAYOR KWAME KILPATRICK IS NOW THROWING THINGS…

(Sayah) “Mr Mayor, please. Won’t you answer?

THIS WAS THE UGLY SCENE MOMENTS AFTER ACTION NEWS POLITELY APPROACHED THE MAYOR TO ASK WHAT HAS NEVER BEEN ANSWERED… AND AS YOU CAN SEE, THE MAYOR APPARENTLY HAD A CHANGE OF HEART ABOUT PRESS RELATIONS.

(Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick/January 22, 2005) “I believe the Kilpatrick administration needs to communicate better with you. We have to do that.”

THAT’S WHAT HE TOLD REPORTERS IN THE WAKE OF THE NAVIGATOR DEBACLE… BUT NOW TWO YEARS LATER, EXPOSED AGAIN BY ACTION NEWS, THIS TIME FOR GOING ON A WEEK LONG FAMILY VACATION HERE AT CALIFORNIA’S LACOSTA RESORT AND SPA… PAID FOR BY AT LEAST 86-HUNDRED DOLLARS OF CIVIC FUND MONEY… MONEY THAT’S SUPPOSED TO HELP THE CITY OF DETROIT.

THE MAYOR HIMSELF WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND WHEN OUR CHIEF INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER STEVE WILSON BROKE THE STORY LAST WEEK.

INSTEAD, HE SENT HIS PRESS SECRETARY, HIS CHIEF OF STAFF AND A LAWYER FOR THE KILPATRICK CIVIC FUND TO CLAIM THIS WAS NO VACATION – INSTEAD THE MAYOR WAS HOLDING MEETINGS TO FUNDRAISE. WHEN THEY PRESENTED NOT A SHRED OF EVIDENCE THAT THE MAYOR MET ANYONE TO FUNDRAISE, WILSON PRESSED FOR PROOF.

(William Phillips/Attorney) ”We knew who he was going to meet with. (Wilson) And that’s not in any document that you’re going to release… (Phillips) We knew who he was going to meet with. I’m not going to talk to you about our documentation.”

THE MAYOR HIMSELF HAS ELUDED REPORTERS AND IGNORED OTHERS WHO ARE CALLING FOR HIM TO DISBAND HIS CIVIC FUND.

BUT WE FINALLY FOUND HIM AS HE ARRIVED FOR A SPEECH TO THE WASHTENAW ECONOMIC CLUB YESTERDAY. INSIDE, HERE’S WHAT THE MAYOR TOLD HIS AUDIENCE ABOUT WHAT IS WRITTEN AND SAID ABOUT HIM

(Mayor Kilpatrick) “Mostly it’s the legend of Kwame Kilpatrick…”

YOU CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ ABOUT HIM IN ANY OF THE PAPERS, HE TOLD THEM. HE’S A VICTIM OF HIS OWN SUCCESS, HE SAYS.

(Mayor Kilpatrick) “I’m too popular once I’m in the paper. They sell more papers with me on it than any other person.”

AND TV NEWS? HE SUGGESTED STATIONS JUST WAIT TO MAKE UP STORIES ABOUT HIM DURING RATINGS PERIODS. (Mayor Kilpatrick) “When it’s sweeps week, like last week. Last week was sweeps week. I knew I was in trouble. … but most of all it’s the legend of Kwame Kilpatrick and it’s starting to go away.”

WHAT WON’T GO AWAY ARE THE QUESTINS HE JUST DOESN’T WANT TO FACE.

(Sayah) “Mr Mayor, may we have a moment? (Mayor) “See you later.” (Sayah) “Mr. Mayor, may we have a moment?”

WE EXPECTED HE’D DUCK OUT A BACK DOOR AND WHEN HE DID, OUR STEVE WILSON WAS IN THE BACK HALLWAY WAITING FOR HIM.

(Wilson) “Mr. Mayor?”

IT WAS WHILE HIS BODYGUARD WAS HOLDING BACK STEVE, THAT WE WENT TO A SIDE DOOR AND APPROACHED HIM AGAIN.

(Sayah) “Mr. Mayor, please.” (Mayor) “I’m not.” (Sayah) “Why not?” (Mayor) “Because I’m not.”

THAT’S WHEN THE YOUNGEST MAYOR OF ANY US CITY BEHAVED CHILDISHLY YOUNG. IN A FIT OF RAGE, HE GRABBED MY MICROPHONE AND WITHOUT ANY REGARD FOR ANYONE’S SAFETY, HE LAUNCHED THE STEEL OBJECT AWAY.

OUR MICROPHONE WAS GONE BUT WE STILL HAD OUR QUESTIONS…

(Sayah) “Who did you meet to fundraise at Lacosta Resort? A very simple question” …QUESTIONS THE MAYOR STILL REFUSES TO ANSWER.

(Sayah) “Mayor, the tax code clearly says that money is to help the city. (Mayor) “Have a good one. Take care.” (Sayah) “Did you use the money to help yourself to a vacation?”

[SAYAH]

THE QUESTION HERE FOR THE MAYOR IS VERY SIMPLE. IF HE DID FUNDRAISING OUT IN THIS RESORT IN CALIFORNIA, LIKE HIS SPOKESMAN SAYS HE DID, WHY CAN’T HE JUST TELL US WHAT HE DID? WHO HE MET WITH?

AND THE OTHER QUESTION… HOW DOES THE MAYOR JUSTIFY USING FUNDS SET ASIDE TO HELP THE CITY, TO TAKE HIS FAMILY ON A VACTION?

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?con ... 100dbef6af

That video is like the cherry on a big bowl of Detroit pride.

Kwame proves we are the epitome of Ghetto Nation. No one is surprised to see Detroiters stand by while a 91 year old man gets pummeled and no one is surprised by how our mayor acts.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 am

(Mayor Kilpatrick) “I’m too popular once I’m in the paper. They sell more papers with me on it than any other person.”

AND TV NEWS? HE SUGGESTED STATIONS JUST WAIT TO MAKE UP STORIES ABOUT HIM DURING RATINGS PERIODS. (Mayor Kilpatrick) “When it’s sweeps week, like last week. Last week was sweeps week. I knew I was in trouble. … but most of all it’s the legend of Kwame Kilpatrick and it’s starting to go away.”

Kwame Kilpatrick, victim.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby jmy » Wed May 16, 2007 9:04 am

Kilpatrick = Liar
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby caseyc » Wed May 16, 2007 10:31 am

No room in Detroit's budget to pay for project, fiscal analyst says
May 16, 2007

BY MARISOL BELLO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

In a city struggling with financial problems, a plan to revamp six city neighborhoods is an ambitious project.

And it begs the question: How will the city pay for it?

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick says he doesn't have a final price tag for the initiative, but that city departments will commit a total of $25 million a year for the next five years to kick start the work. He has also gone to nonprofit foundations to pitch for another $100 million in grants and donations.

Separately, he's pursuing a $1-billion bond deal that would serve as an economic-stimulus package.

But the Detroit City Council's fiscal analyst, who has reviewed the budget the mayor presented for the upcoming fiscal year, said the city's finances are so tight, it just has enough money to provide the basic services it delivers now.

"There's no room right now," Irvin Corley said Monday. "It's just enough to keep the current services going."

wait. Professor Irvin Corley?? You mean this guy? He's the budget czar?

Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Postby Heywood McCrakin » Wed May 16, 2007 5:26 pm

instead of the "Civic Fund" why doesn't he just have people donate to the "Human Fund"

Heywood McCrakin
Hot Fudge Downtown Diva

Postby The Conscience » Wed May 16, 2007 5:58 pm

Detroit mayor will continue to use Civic Fund for travel
May 16, 2007

By MARISOL BELLO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Tuesday that he would continue to use the Civic Fund to travel around the country and the world, speaking to universities, political groups, politicians and philanthropic organizations about the city of Detroit.

And when he does, he told the Free Press Editorial Board, he would continue to take his wife and three sons with him.

In fact, he said, he takes his family with him even when he travels on city business. But he said the city does not spend any money on them.

“But if I get a free hotel room at a nice place, I’m asking my wife and children if they want to go with daddy,” he said. “I will continue to do that.”

The mayor came under fire in the last week when it was revealed his nonprofit civic organization, the Kilpatrick Civic Fund, spent $8,000 last August for he and his family to stay in a swanky California resort.

Federal tax law says that officers, founders, or individuals who can influence the spending and operations of such tax-exempt organizations, like the Civic Fund, are forbidden from personally benefiting from the agency.

The mayor founded the Civic Fund. He is not an officer, but the board is loaded with his sister, Ayanna, and his best friends from high school, including chief of staff Christine Beatty and chief information officer Derek Miller.

The mayor’s use of the fund to take his family on vacation is inappropriate, say national tax experts and attorneys.

“This use raises a host of troubling questions,” said Fran Hill, director of the tax program for the Washington, D.C.-based Campaign Legal Center. “He’s getting a benefit.”

She said organizations, such as the Civic Fund, designated as tax-exempt 501c4 civic organizations, have become synonymous with slush funds for politicians.

The Civic Fund has come under scrutiny before when a political donor to the mayor, Jon Rutherford, gave the fund $50,000 during the mayor’s first campaign in 2000. A short time later, the mayor wrote Rutherford a letter of recommendation for a county contract.

The two men said at that time that the two activities were not connected. But the IRS investigated the fund and Rutherford as a result. Rutherford has since been indictment for income tax evasion.

Kilpatrick on Tuesday reiterated that the fund would not disclose its donors, nor would he say what the fund has accomplished, or what organizations it has helped.

But he said out of the $500,000 the organization raised, $470,000 has been spent on community work in Detroit.

But it is unusual that neither he nor the fund are willing to publicize the organization’s work, say those who review the work of nonprofits.

“I think the public should be very skeptical of an organization that would not release that information,” said Sandra Miniutti, spokeswoman for Charity Navigator, which reviews the funding of more than 5,000 charities nationwide. The Civic Fund is not one of them.

“Charities usually like to scream that from the rooftop, what they been up to,” she said.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 1/70516039

Uh, had your $8,500 La Costa trip been a "free room at a nice place", no one would care.

A 50G donation to his "civic fund" = letter of recommendation for a county contract. Comes straight from the Daddy Kilpatrick Quid Pro Quo School of Business. I can't believe no one gave a shit when Bernard made over $100,000 in "consulting fees" working for a mental health contractor who later got a multi-million dollar contract from the oversight board he sat on. Yeah, yeah, he quit the "consulting" gig when he was appointed to the board so therefore it was legal, but it still stank to high heaven.

I don't think anyone really gives a shit about this civic fund scam either. I'd like to know what the $470,000 was spent on, but since they aren't required to show, we'll never know. I suspect most of the dough went to lucrative salary and consulting fees for friends and family.

Coleman A. Young used to say, Those damn Kilpatricks. He sure pegged them right.
Last edited by The Conscience on Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu May 17, 2007 4:14 pm

Amid an investigation by WXYZ of money spent by a non-profit group on his family vacation, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has cancelled a trip he was planning to a pension board meeting in Hawaii.
From Mayor's Office...

"Mayor Kilpatrick has canceled his planned attendance at the pension board international conference in Hawaii. The Mayor will forego this trip and will attend another training event in the future.

"The Mayor's appointed board representative will attend the conference at this time to learn from and network with the best experts in pension management.

"Mayor Kilpatrick doesn't wish to have the international body gathering in Hawaii or this mission misrepresented.

"The administration has been made aware of several local television stations who have sent reporters and camera crews to Hawaii to follow the Mayor and the pension board representatives. Any distraction created by his attendance with our local media would be unfair to those present."

Matt Allen
Press Secretary
City of Detroit

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?con ... f96eab2d91
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby chad sexington » Thu May 17, 2007 4:28 pm

It's always after he get's caught.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby The Conscience » Thu May 17, 2007 9:22 pm

He cancelled. Oh really? Like he planned on attending any of the bore-yourself-dead meetings anyway.

I've been to similar events. Upper management types bring along a staffer who is overjoyed to get away from the office for a week to go to Miami or Vegas or Hawaii. The bossman shows his face once or twice, but for the most part, spends his time poolside or perched at a tiki bar. The underling is left to take notes and write a report- which gets filed in the trashcan before the ink dries.

Kwame couldn't care less about the minutae of pension management and to say otherwise is laughable.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu May 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Thursday morning Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was expected to fly his way to Waikiki, Hawaii for a convention that was supposed to help generate money for the city's pension fund.

The conference would have helped him hone his skills as a pension fund trustee, but very late Thursday afternoon, the mayor announced he canceled his trip.

Two weeks ago Thursday, Kilpatrick spokesman Matt Allen said it was important for the mayor to attend the weeklong conference held at the lush Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort and Spa on Waikiki.

"The mayor understands that he has a fiduciary responsibility in the oversight of the pension boards. In order to do that, you need to go to these sort of sessions. It's the largest one of its kind and it happens once a year," Allen said.

Detroit's pension funds control billions of dollars set aside for retired city workers, Rescue 4's M.L. Elrick said. The conference is held every year, typically in exotic locations, and gives pension trustees who make million dollar decisions a chance to learn more about investing wisely.

The meeting draws pension fund trustees from across the country, but holding these meetings in exotic locales can create distractions for those who go. Since Rescue 4 first reported on the pension fund trip, Kilpatrick has come under increased scrutiny for all of his travel, Elrick said.

City officials admitted last week that the mayor used a nonprofit he started to pay $9,000 for a trip he took with his family to a luxurious California resort. Leaders of the nonprofit said the trip was a fundraiser and a legitimate use of the fund, which was established for the express purpose of improving the lives of Detroiters, but fund leaders refused to say who the mayor met with.

As for the Hawaii trip, when Rescue 4 asked Allen Thursday morning if the mayor was available to discuss what Kilpatrick hoped to accomplish at the conference, he said the mayor had already left.

Rescue 4 learned hours later that the mayor never left and would not be going after all.

The mayor's office released the following statement:

"Mayor Kilpatrick doesn't wish to have the international body gathering in Hawaii or their mission represented." ... It continues: "any distraction created by his attendance with our local media would be unfair to those present."

What the statement doesn't say, Elick said, is why the potential for media scrutiny is more important than giving the mayor a chance to educate himself on how to best invest city workers' hard earned money.

Detroit is still expected to have some heavy hitters at the conference, Elrick said, including the city's fire chief, City Council member Monica Conyers, and the Rev. Wendell Anthony.

Elrick said after word got out that the conference was in Hawaii, Oakland county told its employees they could go only if they paid their own way.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/13341966/detail.html

What a sloppy reaction. This administration has no ability to think on its feet.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 am

The traffic stop that made the phrase "Do you know who the (expletive) I am?" part of metro Detroit's lexicon keeps coming back -- even when the City of Detroit tries to make it go away.

The city's Law Department wants to settle for $25,000 a lawsuit filed by two Detroit police officers who allege Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings slandered them after the officers pulled over the mayor's chief of staff, Christine Beatty, for speeding three years ago and accused her of hurling the profane retort.

But the City Council won't let the city proceed. The council on Wednesday voted 6-1 to deny the settlement to Officers Zack Weishuhn and Patrick Tomsic.

"I think it's a facetious lawsuit," Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, one of the six who voted against it, said Thursday. "It doesn't merit the city giving up taxpayer dollars because their feelings were hurt."

The suit, filed in 2005, alleges that Kilpatrick slandered the officers when he said on the radio that Beatty was set up and called the traffic stop "the biggest piece of crap." Court documents filed by the city include a history of the word "crap," dating to its use in 15th-Century England.

Michael Rataj, the attorney representing both officers, said if the council won't approve the settlement, he'll take the case to court. "If they want to air out all their dirty laundry in open court, that's what we'll do," Rataj said.

The officers remain on the force. Weishuhn, a reservist in the Air Force, has served two tours in Iraq since filing the suit.

"Here you have one guy going over there fighting for his country and Kwame Kilpatrick and Ella Bully-Cummings want to question their integrity," Rataj said.

Mayoral spokesman Matt Allen said the city wants to settle because it is the best course of action. City lawyers will ask the council to reconsider its vote, he said.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 80419/1003
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Conscience » Fri May 18, 2007 7:57 am

But the City Council won't let the city proceed. The council on Wednesday voted 6-1 to deny the settlement to Officers Zack Weishuhn and Patrick Tomsic.

"I think it's a facetious lawsuit," Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, one of the six who voted against it, said Thursday. "It doesn't merit the city giving up taxpayer dollars because their feelings were hurt."

But they have no problem signing million dollar checks to settle the most tenous claims of police mistreatment. They paid out something like 80 million dollars last year in jackpot settlements, making numerous vagrants and criminals filthy rich all because they wrongly spent a couple of nights in lock-up with a backed-up toilet.

Apparently, since the plaintiffs in this case are DPD officers, $25,000 would set a precedent that would clash with the principles of integrity so highly valued by this group of statesmen.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to General Discussion