Hot Fudge Kwame Time: Part II

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Kwame Time: Part II

Postby guest » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:53 pm

They're continuing to hammer away at this Kilpatrick Civic Fund (KCF), not to be confused with the KFC, which undoubtedly ended up with some mayoral cash also...

The prosecution poked a hole today in former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's story that his getaway to a posh ski resort with his ex-mistress and former aide, Christine Beatty, involved a national mayor's conference.

There was no such conference in Denver that year, per courtroom testimony.

oh crap

But Kilpatrick's lawyer James Thomas came up with another theory: What about a meeting with a mayor? Perhaps Kilpatrick met with the mayor of Denver, he suggested, but no one checked it out.

Howzabout if he had his picture taken with Mayor McCheese and the Hamburglar?

"Are you ruling out the possibility that there may have been other meetings?" Thomas asked IRS agent Rowena Schuch, who investigated Kilpatrick's 2002 trip to Vail, Colo., with Beatty.

Oh, I 'magine he had a meeting or two...

Schuch had testified that she checked with three national mayor's groups, and none reported having any meeting or conference in Denver in November 2002. She did not specifically call the mayor of Denver to see whether he ever met with Kilpatrick, she said.

Got it, but did she call Mayor McCheese or the Hamburglar?

The $1,009 trip is one of many perks that the government said were funded by the Kilpatrick Civic Fund, a nonprofit that was supposed to help youths, enhance Detroit neighborhoods and educate voters. The fund has been the focus of the trial in the last two weeks. Jurors have seen dozens of civic fund checks paying for everything from golf clubs and yoga for Kilpatrick, to college tuition for his relatives and a vacation to California.

The prosecution put a dent in the defense's claim that Kilpatrick's children had graduated from their preschool a year before the school received a $5,000 civic fund check for graduation ceremonies.

When prosecutors showed the check to the jury last week, Thomas argued that Kilpatrick's children had graduated before the check was received. But the preschool teacher, Lynda Byrd, testified today that the Kilpatrick twins had attended her school that year and were part of the graduation ceremonies that the civic fund check was going toward. The festivities, she testified, included a kinder prom and a trip to Cedar Point.

Okay, these f'ing kids were like 5, or younger. What's a bunch of five year olds going to do at Cedar Point except piss themselves on the bus there and back? I've never been to goddamned Cedar Point, cross to The Deprivations of Guest, but...hey, wait a minute. Maybe they went down to CP on Soave's Gulfstream V. That woulda been cool.

It also included a giant tent, which was needed because the forecast called for rain, she said. That's how the civic fund donation came about, she testified. When Carlita Kilpatrick heard that it might rain and that a tent would be needed, she gave the school a $5,000 check, she testified.

Because you can't just go out and rent a big-ass tent for a day...no, actually that was kind of thoughtful of Carlita. I mean, it wasn't her money or anything but she coulda spent it on shoes or a manicure.

Byrd also testified that she had not seen a check that size from a parent before and did not pay attention to the check's source.

"I wasn't focused that it said 'civic fund.' ... I'm not a politician ... I didn't examine it in that manner."

No doubt she was totally focused on that fivefuckingthousand dollars thing. Whoa.

Thomas has argued that the preschool donation was justified because it involved an educational event and that it served as a community event, which were among the civic fund's goals.

This is the kind of thing that I'll bet plenty of politicos do. Somebody's kid was really looking forward to having his brit in Vegas, but now he'll have to settle for having his picture taken at McDonald's. Thanks for fucking that one up, Fatso.

The prosecution also attacked a defense claim involving a 2002 trip that Kilpatrick's father, Bernard Kilpatrick, took to New Orleans. Two weeks ago, prosecutors showed the jury an airline ticket voucher bought for Bernard Kilpatrick with money from the civic fund.

I read somewhere else that they had tape of Bernard putting the arm on somebody for $5K for his dad's ninetieth birthday party. He could've just asked for the money, it would have been easier to argue later that it was legit, but the big dummy had to say that it was for cake and party hats. And the mark was from out of state, meaning he'd have to mail it, which triggered postal fraud and interstate charges.

Bernard Kilpatrick's lawyer John Shea argued that there was no proof -- such as credit card receipts for restaurants -- that his client was ever in New Orleans.

Thye didn't look hard enough for a picture of the big goof with the Hamburglar.

Today, an IRS agent produced such evidence.

Oh, here's the picture...

Jurors saw, for example, Bernard Kilpatrick's Diners Card, Master Card and Visa invoices, which showed restaurant charges in New Orleans and jewelry purchases during that period.

Diners Club? There's still a Diner's Club?

"It appears, now, that Bernard Kilpatrick was, in fact, in New Orleans. ... He's there during the relevant period of time," Shea conceded.

Shea noted that there was another authorized user on his client's credit cards, suggesting that someone else may have made the purchases.

Kwame Kilpatrick, his father, his longtime friend Bobby Ferguson and ex-city water boss Victor Mercado are charged with running a criminal enterprise through the mayor's office to enrich themselves. They are accused of -- among other things -- rigging bids, shaking down contractors and using nonprofit funds for personal use.
All men deny the charges.

The government has broken down the complex racketeering case in chapters. So far, jurors have heard two chapters. The first one involved allegations that Kilpatrick steered a state grant, which was meant to help kids and seniors, to his codefendant Ferguson, who allegedly used the money to renovate his office, and to his wife, Carlita Kilpatrick, who allegedly received more than $100,000 for a project she did little to no work on. The second chapter has involved allegations that Kilpatrick used the civic fund as his personal piggy bank, defrauding donors and violating IRS rules about nonprofits. Specifically, Kilpatrick is charged with mail fraud for allegedly soliciting civic fund donations through the mail or Federal Express. He also is charged with failing to report the civic fund perks on his taxes.

The next chapter starts Thursday. The subject: extortion.

The Kilpatrick Enterprise is accused of shaking down contractors and instilling fear in the contractor community to make sure that Ferguson got a cut of city contract deals.

As Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Chutkow explained in court today: "It was widely known in the contract community that if you did not do business with Bobby Ferguson, your chances of getting a contract (in the city) were slim."

Testimony will resume Thursday.

It's amazing that somebody who's supposedly so smart, and especially mind blowing that someone who's supposedly that smart and undoubtedly that crooked, seems to be completely ignorant of the concept of money laundering. This is like following Hansel & Gretel and picking up KCF checks.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Shark » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am

The festivities, she testified, included a kinder prom and a trip to Cedar Point.

The hell? Is that a thing now? A prom for 5 year olds?
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby gullycanyon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 am

Guest, you have produced some hilarious stuff, but with that post you have out-done yourself.

Sincerely. That one is out-fuckin'-standing.

"...cross to The Deprivations of Guest..." ...Stop!! Yer killin' me!!
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby gullycanyon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

Oh, and fuck Cedar Point.

I hate lines. I hate amusement-park rides. I hate noise. I hate all kids (other than my own, and they ain't kids.)
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby Mad Max » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:31 pm

gullycanyon wrote:Guest, you have produced some hilarious stuff, but with that post you have out-done yourself.

Yeah, it was a much better read with the commentary
Mad Max
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby ldodger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 am

gullycanyon wrote:Guest, you have produced some hilarious stuff, but with that post you have out-done yourself.

Agreed!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby ldodger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 am

Shark wrote:
The festivities, she testified, included a kinder prom and a trip to Cedar Point.

The hell? Is that a thing now? A prom for 5 year olds?

betterhalf asked the same thing. Trip to Cedar Point? From what I remember of Cedar Point (and it wasn't much as my family visited when I was five) was most rides were too "old" for me. What the hell would a bunch of little kids do at Cedar Point?

It's fucking pre-school for chrissakes!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Kwame Kilpatrick has disavowed his ties to the Motor City and doesn't plan on moving back, according to the former mayor's emails obtained by The Detroit News.

The emails cement Kilpatrick's split from the city that fueled his political rise and reveals claims that he is concerned about his safety in Detroit while standing trial on racketeering charges.

"I am a Texas resident…I have no intentions of ever residing here again," Kilpatrick wrote in a Sept. 13 email obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. "I'm often thought of as a Detroiter, but I am not. My life, family and residency is in Texas."

It is unclear what prompted Kilpatrick's message but he was responding to Detroit News questions about his living arrangements during the corruption trial. He is staying at the home of his mother, former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Detroit.

"Why would the…media have all of this information?" Kilpatrick wrote to his parole agent Oct. 21. "This puts my mom's home in potential danger, as well as, her and myself."

The emails offer insight into Kilpatrick's oft-scrutinized finances at a time when Wayne County prosecutor are trying to solve a mystery surrounding missing money from his 2011 autobiography.

According to the emails, Kilpatrick continues to live beyond his means while claiming to be indigent so he can qualify for a taxpayer-funded defense team. He also is making low monthly payments toward the approximately $856,000 he owes Detroit in restitution.

Kilpatrick is on parole until August for violating probation on felony charges from the text-message scandal.

Emails sent to his parole agent indicate he has slashed his expenses since March, when the state increased his monthly restitution payments to the city from $160 to $500 — a 212 percent increase.

Before March, Kilpatrick was spending $2,600 a month in rent, more than $800 for a vehicle and almost $315 for cable television — almost double his restitution amount.

Last month, his expenses exceeded his income, according to the emails.

Kilpatrick, who is earning a living by giving public speeches nationwide, made $2,000 last month and spent $2,480 on a variety of bills, according to one email.

According to his emails, somebody else is paying the car payment — if he still has one — and rent on a $372,000 home in Grand Prairie, Texas.

Earlier this year, Kilpatrick said his wife is leasing the 5,000-square-foot home, which is larger and more expensive than the family's last rental in Texas.

Kilpatrick's largest monthly expense in September was the $500 restitution payment.

Under the restitution plan, it will take Kilpatrick more than 143 years to pay off the $1 million he agreed to pay the city following the text-message scandal.

He spent $400 on his home energy bill and paid $260 each for cell service and insurance.

He spent $240 on cable, Internet and phone service and $220 to rent a public storage space.

Earlier this month, Kilpatrick griped to his parole agent after The News asked how he was affording to stay at a luxury downtown hotel and fly between Detroit and Texas during the trial.

The front-page story, based on the mayor's emails, revealed Kilpatrick was getting comped at the Atheneum Suite Hotel and using Buddy Passes to fly for free on Delta Air Lines.

The story also indicated Kilpatrick had checked out of the hotel after the state started asking questions and moved into his mom's house on LaSalle Boulevard northwest of downtown.

"I need to know if everything that I'm sending to you will be made available to the media," Kilpatrick wrote his parole agent. "If so, I would like to discuss modifying the information in order to protect the security and confidentiality of my family, and even friends, whom are not on parole."

His parole agent, Charles Wright, explained the emails were public records.

"In regards to your life being in danger or any other family member, please provided (sic) me with any and all information pertaining to any threats," Wright wrote.

There's no indication Kilpatrick documented any threats.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z2AoE70BcZ
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Shark » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:41 pm

"This puts my mom's home in potential danger, as well as, her and myself."

But his sense of self-importance still looms large around here. He can't flaunt that in the land of big hair and cattle.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mulligan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Kilpatrick is on parole until August for violating probation on felony charges from the text-message scandal.

On Oct. 19, Kilpatrick complained to his parole agent about the community service requirement.

Kilpatrick told his parole agent he thought the condition was on hold while he stands trial on racketeering charges in federal court.

"I was not aware that I would be required to do the 16 hours, during the time that I am on trial," Kilpatrick told his agent.

Kilpatrick was wrong.

"He's obligated to do it whether he's going through a trial or not," Marlan said.

Kilpatrick apologized for failing to understand the parole condition.

"It's going to be incredibly difficult to do, but I will get it done," he wrote to his agent. "The only way to get it done is to neglect my responsibility of preparing for my trial on a daily basis, or even more troubling, neglect my responsibility as a husband and father. BUT, since this is one of the obligations of my parole, I will meet it for the month of October."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z2BeyoKhrs

The Detroit College of Law (or whatever it's called now) produced a real legal whiz kid.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Shark » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:22 pm

"It's going to be incredibly difficult to do, but I will get it done," he wrote to his agent. "The only way to get it done is to neglect my responsibility of preparing for my trial on a daily basis, or even more troubling, neglect my responsibility as a husband and father. BUT, since this is one of the obligations of my parole, I will meet it for the month of October."

What a huge, gaping asshole.

Can't do half an hour a day? Can't do one 8 am to midnight marathon volunteer-athon? Get Jaleel and Jalani and make them help you, boom, you're not shirking your parental responsibility anymore.
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Meantime, Kwame Kilpatrick again is making news via Twitter.

Wednesday night, he wrote that he thwarted a break-in on this mother’s street where he is staying.

Here’s what Kilpatrick posted and his response when he was asked if he called Detroit police:

KwameKilpatrick : No Way! The police would book me for sure.

So, if the story is true and Kilpatrick did not call the police, you’ll know who to thank if your home in that area is burglarized this morning.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/inve ... index.html
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick failed to pay $500 restitution to the city in November, an apparent violation of his parole conditions.

"It is becoming clear that Mr. Kilpatrick has not been abiding by the terms of his parole," Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said. "It is the responsibility of the Michigan Department of Corrections to deal with this situation."

As part of his parole, Kilpatrick is required to pay $500 a month in restitution.

His last payment was Oct. 31, according to Miller and Wayne County Circuit Court records.

Kilpatrick had at least one paid speaking engagement last month. On Nov. 17, he was paid $3,000 to speak to youths near San Francisco, according to the Contra Costa Times.

He was released from a Michigan prison in August 2011 after completing the minimum of an 18-month to five-year sentence for violating probation by hiding assets from the court that could have been paid toward restitution.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z2E7pNK7fS
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Mulligan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm

I hope at least the cable bill got paid.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Andy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:24 am

A state prison official threatened to file parole violation charges against Kwame Kilpatrick because the former Detroit mayor had failed to prove he performed community service, The Detroit News has learned.

Kilpatrick also failed to pay $500 restitution to the city in November, an apparent violation of parole conditions imposed earlier this year amid concerns he was living beyond his means and hiding assets.

Interviews and public records indicate Kilpatrick is failing to comply with his parole, yet is receiving breaks from the state Department of Corrections. The News also learned Tuesday that Kilpatrick is being allowed to perform community service at a Texas megachurch that received more than $13,000 in donations from Kilpatrick years ago.

"It is becoming clear that Mr. Kilpatrick has not been abiding by the terms of his parole," said Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller. "It is the responsibility of the Michigan Department of Corrections to deal with this situation."

A corrections spokesman Monday said the agency is "looking into" Kilpatrick's missed restitution payment.

Daniel Hajji, an attorney for Kilpatrick, did not respond Tuesday to phone and email messages. Kilpatrick did not respond to an email request for comment.

The former mayor narrowly dodged a parole violation by meeting a Monday deadline to provide documented proof that he was performing community service.

He was spared from working 16 hours of community service in October because of his ongoing federal corruption trial. Instead, the state told him to work 32 hours in November.

Kilpatrick fell short despite a three-week trial hiatus in late October and November.

Kilpatrick's parole agent had ordered him to provide documentation by Monday. Otherwise, the agent threatened to file probation violation charges, according to parole records obtained by The News through the Freedom of Information Act.

"You can ask and ask and sometimes you have to use the threat to get parolees to follow through," Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan said. "I think his parole agent was trying to make the point that Kilpatrick needs to get it done, he needs to follow instructions, and he needs to provide proof."

Kilpatrick provided documentation days ahead of the deadline.

He told the state he was performing community service for the Rev. Victor E. Sharpe Jr., pastor of St. John The Great Baptist Church on Schaefer in Detroit.

Kilpatrick also said he worked at The Potter's House, a megachurch in Dallas headed by evangelist T.D. Jakes.

Kilpatrick has close ties to the church. He and wife Carlita underwent counseling with Jakes following the release of text-messages in 2008 that revealed he was having an affair with his former chief of staff, Christine Beatty.

Kilpatrick also has donated thousands of dollars to the church — that, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said, could have gone toward the restitution.

Kilpatrick agreed to pay the city $1 million as part of a guilty plea stemming from lies he told under oath during a whistle-blower trial.

Wayne County court records show that from October 2008 to October 2009, Kilpatrick gave $13,250 to The Potter's House.

Marlan on Tuesday did not explain how the state verified Kilpatrick's community service activities at the churches.

"He still owes 12 hours for October and his parole agent has given him additional time to work those hours," Marlan said. "He will do his 16 hours plus additional hours each month to make up for October going forward."

Miller declined comment about the community service questions. "However, it is something I hope the Michigan Department of Corrections is looking into," she said.

A Jakes spokesman did not return a message seeking comment Monday. Neither did Sharpe.

Besides his community service, Kilpatrick is required to pay $500 a month in restitution.

His last payment: Oct. 31, according to Miller and Wayne County Circuit Court records.

Kilpatrick had at least one paid speaking engagement last month.

On Nov. 17, he was paid $3,000 to speak to youths near San Francisco, according to the Contra Costa (Calif.) Times.

Kilpatrick is on parole until August for violating probation on felony charges from the text-message scandal. He was released from a Michigan prison in August 2011 after completing the minimum of an 18-month to five-year sentence for violating probation by hiding assets.

Kilpatrick has repeatedly complained about new parole conditions imposed in March. That's when the state increased his restitution payment from $160 a month and added the community service requirement.

In June, The News published Kilpatrick's emails to the state in which he said community service cramped his availability to give paid public speeches — his only source of income.

Kilpatrick explained he only had one car, his wife, Carlita, had a new job, and he was busy giving speeches and shuttling his three children to sports and extracurricular activities.

"Unlike Michigan, Texas is HUGE," Kilpatrick wrote in one email. "You must take the highway, or a tollway to get anywhere, and many neighborhoods are not walkable, including mine. NOTHING is walking distance away from my home."

On Oct. 19, Kilpatrick complained again.

Kilpatrick had told his parole agent he thought the community service requirement was on hold while he stands trial on racketeering charges in federal court.

The trial took a two-week in late October after a defense lawyer fell ill. The trial also had a one-week hiatus around Thanksgiving. Prison officials had urged Kilpatrick to use the time to do community service.

Parole violators can be imprisoned immediately, typically for one year, Marlan said. It would be rare for the state to imprison a parolee for failing to perform community service unless the violation is deliberate, he said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z2EAxKdqsS
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion