Headlines

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Headlines

Postby vlad the impaler » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 am

Rocker Chris Cornell dies following show in Detroit; suicide suspected

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/rock ... in-detroit

He posted "#nomorebullshit" on his Twitter post about being in Detroit, then played a show at the Fox with Soundgarden, then went and hung himself in his room at MGM Grand.
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby middle aged female » Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 am

vlad the impaler wrote:
Rocker Chris Cornell dies following show in Detroit; suicide suspected

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/rock ... in-detroit

He posted "#nomorebullshit" on his Twitter post about being in Detroit, then played a show at the Fox with Soundgarden, then went and hung himself in his room at MGM Grand.

They said he was found on the floor of the bathroom with "something" around his neck. Auto-erotic asphyxiation, ala David Carradine??
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby vlad the impaler » Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am

middle aged female wrote:
They said he was found on the floor of the bathroom with "something" around his neck. Auto-erotic asphyxiation, ala David Carradine??

Or ala Michael Hutchence of INXS.
vlad the impaler

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 am

My wife does not have much of an ear for music, so she woke me this morning with the news Roger Ailes had died ... had to find out about Cornell from Twitter/Facebook.

"Louder than Love" was my first exposure to Soundgarden and, at a time when shitty hair bands were selling out 20,000-seat arenas, was fucking awesome. "Badmotorfinger," I'll argue, was the final nail in the coffins of Skid Row, Poison, Warrant, Tesla, etc.
His solo stuff also was pretty good.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby vlad the impaler » Thu May 18, 2017 12:50 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:"Badmotorfinger," I'll argue, was the final nail in the coffins of Skid Row, Poison, Warrant, Tesla, etc.
His solo stuff also was pretty good.

Nirvana has long been credited for the end of hairspray and spandex era, but the reality is the genre was pretty much on their dying breath before grunge emerged. By 1988 or 1989, stations like WRIF were mostly done with hair metal and shifted to Bruce Springsteen and Genesis.

http://www.spin.com/2009/11/myth-no-2-n ... air-metal/

I'm more in the camp that it was hard rock bands like Guns N Roses (who initially dabbled in the hair scene) and The Cult that nailed the coffin shut. They created the vacuum, which allowed the Seattle bands to sprout and flourish.

And don't get me started on the following generation of bands that killed rock music: Korn, Limp Biscuit, Smashing Pumpkins, et. al.
vlad the impaler

Postby Craig » Sat May 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Music evolved. It's not like there was an evolutionary dead end called metal or hair metal. Taste changed and spirited guitar and high pitch singing gave way to downbeat and slower pace. Metal didn't meh itself out the spotlight, it faded due to the same forces that took the spotlight from everything that preceded and all that will follow.

Metal, most of it anyway, satisfies my own criteria for what constitutes good rock: playing it with volume at 11 and beyond is a way to make s good thing better. Synchronized guitars, roaring bass, thunderous drums... i'm in, and just as i'll never grow tired of Copeland, Bing Crosby, a few old hymns, Kinks, and all of Black Sabbath through Mob Rules metal will be on my mind when i think of music.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Doctor Detroit » Wed May 24, 2017 2:41 pm

vlad the impaler wrote:And don't get me started on the following generation of bands that killed rock music: Korn, Limp Biscuit, Smashing Pumpkins, et. al.

Smashing Pumpkins are nothing like Korn or Limp Biscuit. If anything, they were contemporaries of the grunge bands. Siamese Dream, which had all the breakthrough hits on it, came out in 93, Nevermind and Badmotorfinger were 1991. In Utero was 93, Superunkown 94.

I'm not the biggest Smashing Pumpkins slappy, but I wouldn't list them with Korn and Limp Biscuit and say "etc."
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Toolbox » Thu May 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:
vlad the impaler wrote:And don't get me started on the following generation of bands that killed rock music: Korn, Limp Biscuit, Smashing Pumpkins, et. al.

Smashing Pumpkins are nothing like Korn or Limp Biscuit. If anything, they were contemporaries of the grunge bands. Siamese Dream, which had all the breakthrough hits on it, came out in 93, Nevermind and Badmotorfinger were 1991. In Utero was 93, Superunkown 94.

I'm not the biggest Smashing Pumpkins slappy, but I wouldn't list them with Korn and Limp Biscuit and say "etc."

November 20, 1991 at The State Theater in Kalamazoo Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opened for The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Pumpkins were up first and played a mind blowing set but just stood there. Pearl Jam had barely released Ten and it was not getting radio play but that tour slot opened the floodgates for them. They put on a pretty amazing set with Eddie Vedder using the front of house as a climbing gym, he should be dead from doing the things he did there. Chili Peppers were pretty unamazing compared to the openers.

I would not lump SP in with Korn or Limp Bizcut. Billy Corgan is an amazing musician but a total control freak and freak show all on his own.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:

"Gish" (I looked it up) dropped a few months before "Nevermind" in 1991. There's plenty of rockers there. I loved "Siamese Dream," too, but that was about it. I found their next album pretty dull.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby vlad the impaler » Thu May 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Okay, I take back lumping Smashing Pumpkins in with total douche bands like Korn and Limp Biscuit.

But I will say this: Smashing Pumpkins, for the most part, has not passed the test of time. Their music gets very little airplay these days, even on Lithium (90s grunge era on SiriusXM for those of you without satellite radio).
vlad the impaler

Postby middle aged female » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am

vlad the impaler wrote:Okay, I take back lumping Smashing Pumpkins in with total douche bands like Korn and Limp Biscuit.

But I will say this: Smashing Pumpkins, for the most part, has not passed the test of time. Their music gets very little airplay these days, even on Lithium (90s grunge era on SiriusXM for those of you without satellite radio).

Hey, thanks; I have Sirius and didn't know about Lithium. New station to listen to.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Fri May 26, 2017 3:42 pm

There's no accounting for taste, I know, but when I think of Lithium's era a string of industrial bands come to mind that the station doesn't play: Ministry (check the avatar) and Nine Inch Nails, of course, but minors players too like Jesus and Mary Chain and Xymox and others. I'll dally at Lithium but then s big oversight me ans that it's not in frequent rotation.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Toolbox » Wed May 31, 2017 12:12 pm

Craig wrote:There's no accounting for taste, I know, but when I think of Lithium's era a string of industrial bands come to mind that the station doesn't play: Ministry (check the avatar) and Nine Inch Nails, of course, but minors players too like Jesus and Mary Chain and Xymox and others. I'll dally at Lithium but then s big oversight me ans that it's not in frequent rotation.

Add groups like Front 242, Moev, 10,000 Homo DJ's, Pailhead, Butthole Surfers, Pretty Hate Machine era NIN (Pretty Hate Machine was their Frampton Comes Alive), The Damned, Cramps, RevCo, Cop Shoot Cop, Prong, COC.....

I flip through a few different SXM channels and the hosts turn me off more than some of the shitty music. Some of the shows on faction are good and sometimes Ellis is funny but other times he just needs to shut the fuck up.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am

Craig wrote:There's no accounting for taste, I know, but when I think of Lithium's era a string of industrial bands come to mind that the station doesn't play: Ministry (check the avatar) and Nine Inch Nails, of course, but minors players too like Jesus and Mary Chain and Xymox and others. I'll dally at Lithium but then s big oversight me ans that it's not in frequent rotation.

Ugh, I hate my mobile Samsung device. A piece of shit. What I key and what shows on the screen often are not the same, and I wonder if this is what alzheimers or brain damage must be like. Between a cracked screen and then an incompetently designed auto-correct the result is embarrassment and shit.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Doctor Detroit » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Craig wrote:

Ugh, I hate my mobile Samsung device. A piece of shit. What I key and what shows on the screen often are not the same, and I wonder if this is what alzheimers or brain damage must be like. Between a cracked screen and then an incompetently designed auto-correct the result is embarrassment and shit.

I remember Psalm 69 being such a huge deal when it dropped. Only true industrial fans (of which I was not) had previously known about them. You had N.W.O. in regular rotation on Mtv (back when they still played music videos), and of course The Butthole Surfers' own Gibby Haynes on vocals for Jesus Built my Hotrod. It was probably my furthest foray into real industrial music, as NIN is "industrial light" compared to most of it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion