Gunplay in Detroit

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Gunplay in Detroit

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Exciteable wrote:
Shark wrote:
Rapper Dex Osama was shot and killed outside a Detroit strip club, news reports said Monday morning.

Who the fuck is, er was Dex Osama?
Did a google search, and he doesn't, er didn't even have a Wiki or Facebook page.

Skimmed the comments on the DN page for this story. Best one has a guy saying that he read Osama's FB page and found that he was a light to his community with a litany of volunteer work; sike, homepage has him with a friend waving an AK. A real loss, I'm sure.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby vlad the impaler » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:23 am

Craig wrote:
Exciteable wrote:
Shark wrote:
Rapper Dex Osama was shot and killed outside a Detroit strip club, news reports said Monday morning.

Did a google search, and he doesn't, er didn't even have a Wiki or Facebook page.

Skimmed the comments on the DN page for this story. Best one has a guy saying that he read Osama's FB page and found that he was a light to his community with a litany of volunteer work; sike, homepage has him with a friend waving an AK. A real loss, I'm sure.

Fox2's story on his untimely passing outside the strip club took the angle of "a voice has been silenced", while a homemade rap video played of him waving this gun and that gun.

The whole situation seems very cliche', and very 1990s retro as well- remember the assassinations of Pac and Biggie?
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby middle aged female » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:25 am

vlad the impaler wrote:
Craig wrote:
Exciteable wrote:
Shark wrote:

Fox2's story on his untimely passing outside the strip club took the angle of "a voice has been silenced", while a homemade rap video played of him waving this gun and that gun.

The whole situation seems very cliche', and very 1990s retro as well- remember the assassinations of Pac and Biggie?

All morning yesterday I kept hearing about the shooting of this dude and I was thinking that I must really be out of the loop because I never heard of the fucker. I guess I wasn't alone in that.
Another wannabe who died trying to live the life
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:59 pm

seeing and/or meeting victims of multiple shootings every day since saturday

cross to sun's out/guns out and well regulated militias
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby Toolbox » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 am

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /87904770/

Police: Off-duty officer shoots way out of holdup

An off-duty Detroit police officer was not injured in a shooting on the city’s west side early Monday morning, police said.

The shooting took place about 2:10 a.m. on the 16800 block of Linwood, which is south of McNichols and east of Livernois.

The officer was visiting his girlfriend, who lives in the area, and going to his car when a gray Chrysler 200 pulled up. A man exited the vehicle with a rifle, and announced that it was a holdup, said Sgt. Michael Woody of the Detroit Police Department.

But it was not a holdup. The officer fired at least 10 rounds at the suspect, causing the man to flee. The Chrysler 200 was last seen driving westbound on Grove from Linwood, Woody said.

The officer was driving his personal car at the time of the incident, Woody said.

One of the men, a “person of interest” in the case, turned up at a local hospital Monday morning, Woody said. The vehicle involved also has been recovered, he said, and will remain in police custody to be used as evidence.

The man suffered a graze wound and was in stable condition at last report. He is in police custody at the Detroit Detention Center, Woody said, while his accomplice is on the loose. Police aren’t yet sure if the man was the driver or the alleged would-be robber.

“This goes to show: You never know who you’re going to run into in Detroit,” Woody said. “We live, work and play here.”

jdickson@detroitnews.com

Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 am

Toolbox wrote:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2016/08/01/duty-officer-shoots-holdup/87904770/

Police: Off-duty officer shoots way out of holdup

An off-duty Detroit police officer was not injured in a shooting on the city’s west side early Monday morning, police said.

The shooting took place about 2:10 a.m. on the 16800 block of Linwood, which is south of McNichols and east of Livernois.

The officer was visiting his girlfriend, who lives in the area, and going to his car when a gray Chrysler 200 pulled up. A man exited the vehicle with a rifle, and announced that it was a holdup, said Sgt. Michael Woody of the Detroit Police Department.

But it was not a holdup. The officer fired at least 10 rounds at the suspect, causing the man to flee. The Chrysler 200 was last seen driving westbound on Grove from Linwood, Woody said.

The officer was driving his personal car at the time of the incident, Woody said.

One of the men, a “person of interest” in the case, turned up at a local hospital Monday morning, Woody said. The vehicle involved also has been recovered, he said, and will remain in police custody to be used as evidence.

The man suffered a graze wound and was in stable condition at last report. He is in police custody at the Detroit Detention Center, Woody said, while his accomplice is on the loose. Police aren’t yet sure if the man was the driver or the alleged would-be robber.

“This goes to show: You never know who you’re going to run into in Detroit,” Woody said. “We live, work and play here.”

jdickson@detroitnews.com

He fired off 10 rounds and all he did was GRAZE him? He needs some time at the range.
middle aged female

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:00 pm

“We live, work and play here.”

I have to wonder about that, especially the "live here" part.

Back in the day city worker were required to live in Detroit, but as the place fell apart in the 70s police and fire whom I knew also began looking for exits. The implicit argument FOR a residency requirement is that city employees should invest their personal lives into their employer, much like big three employees are expected to drive their employers' products. If all of the world looks like mid-town then this expectation isn't onerous, but out in the neighborhoods life was a far, far cry from the relative tranquility of Hipsterstan, Artist Acres, and the running ground of HFD's original constituency. For this reason I watched the families of friends work deals where the spouse and kids sneaked out to live with grandparents or into a new home in the 'burbs while the fathers would maintain the fiction of renting a room in the city with ten other cops and firemen. The alternative to slinking out was to stay and maintain an increasingly Fort Apache-like existence as the elements of normal life were progressively pared back with each malicious-destruction-of-property attack on cars parked in the street, burglarized homes, and just general shittiness. A handful of my circle went to work for the city, and when the residency restriction was lifted they too lifted and fled: Copper canyon for Van Buren, Warrendale for a dirt road lined with cornfields, Old Redford for the real Redford.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby middle aged female » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
“We live, work and play here.”

I have to wonder about that, especially the "live here" part.

Back in the day city worker were required to live in Detroit, but as the place fell apart in the 70s police and fire whom I knew also began looking for exits. The implicit argument FOR a residency requirement is that city employees should invest their personal lives into their employer, much like big three employees are expected to drive their employers' products. If all of the world looks like mid-town then this expectation isn't onerous, but out in the neighborhoods life was a far, far cry from the relative tranquility of Hipsterstan, Artist Acres, and the running ground of HFD's original constituency. For this reason I watched the families of friends work deals where the spouse and kids sneaked out to live with grandparents or into a new home in the 'burbs while the fathers would maintain the fiction of renting a room in the city with ten other cops and firemen. The alternative to slinking out was to stay and maintain an increasingly Fort Apache-like existence as the elements of normal life were progressively pared back with each malicious-destruction-of-property attack on cars parked in the street, burglarized homes, and just general shittiness. A handful of my circle went to work for the city, and when the residency restriction was lifted they too lifted and fled: Copper canyon for Van Buren, Warrendale for a dirt road lined with cornfields, Old Redford for the real Redford.

I grew up in the East Side "Copper Canyon"; bounded by Moross to 8 Mile, Hayes to Kelly Rd. It was as close to the suburbs as one could get without actually living in Harper Woods. I think the residency restriction was lifted after Dad retired and by then we were in one of those dirt road towns anyway
middle aged female

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:45 pm

middle aged female wrote:I grew up in the East Side "Copper Canyon"; bounded by Moross to 8 Mile, Hayes to Kelly Rd. It was as close to the suburbs as one could get without actually living in Harper Woods. I think the residency restriction was lifted after Dad retired and by then we were in one of those dirt road towns anyway

For all of his grousing and visible anger my dad stayed in his home in the city seven years past his retirement. Funny, but there seemed to be real regret in him when he finally left. My mother was ready and had been packed for years (she was from a small town), but in spite of everything I could detect a reluctance on the old man's part to leave his city and his neighborhood.

What that street teetering just on the edge of Brightmoor lost when he left was their cop. For sure he'd been off of the job for a while, but people still came running to our/his house when there was trouble to get the law. Funny: one night the lights flickered on the street and minutes later there was a knock at the door by a young woman with an infant in her arms. This was the neighbor from across the street and she was afraid that someone was trying to break in. Then there the times where people would find themselves locked out. Or the woman with the son who wasn't staying in school. Or the interruption of the strong-arm robbery of the elderly widow with the mentally retarded son? The old guy would grumble and say "call 911" but he would help. Was this the real reason behind the residency requirement: the peppering of some thousands of solid residents with badges, guns, and training around the 140-mile squared expanse? When I lived there it felt as though the policy was purely to harass a force disliked by hizzoner, but was it?
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby middle aged female » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
middle aged female wrote:I grew up in the East Side "Copper Canyon"; bounded by Moross to 8 Mile, Hayes to Kelly Rd. It was as close to the suburbs as one could get without actually living in Harper Woods. I think the residency restriction was lifted after Dad retired and by then we were in one of those dirt road towns anyway

For all of his grousing and visible anger my dad stayed in his home in the city seven years past his retirement. Funny, but there seemed to be real regret in him when he finally left. My mother was ready and had been packed for years (she was from a small town), but in spite of everything I could detect a reluctance on the old man's part to leave his city and his neighborhood.

What that street teetering just on the edge of Brightmoor lost when he left was their cop. For sure he'd been off of the job for a while, but people still came running to our/his house when there was trouble to get the law. Funny: one night the lights flickered on the street and minutes later there was a knock at the door by a young woman with an infant in her arms. This was the neighbor from across the street and she was afraid that someone was trying to break in. Then there the times where people would find themselves locked out. Or the woman with the son who wasn't staying in school. Or the interruption of the strong-arm robbery of the elderly widow with the mentally retarded son? The old guy would grumble and say "call 911" but he would help. Was this the real reason behind the residency requirement: the peppering of some thousands of solid residents with badges, guns, and training around the 140-mile squared expanse? When I lived there it felt as though the policy was purely to harass a force disliked by hizzoner, but was it?

Dad hated "hizzonner" with a blazing passion, so no way was he sticking around; he took retirement after 37 yrs, but wasn't really ready to retire, so off we moved to Almont where he was police chief for another year and then worked for the DA for another 6 months before he died.
middle aged female

Previous

Return to General Discussion