How to spend your city tax refund

About all things in and around the Detroit area

How to spend your city tax refund

Postby Mulligan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:19 am

I dropped my tax return in the mail today. The city owes me $8. I realize I probably have at least nine months to figure out how to spend that windfall, but I'm starting to mull the possibilities. Of course, I want to spend the money in the city so it can recirculate through the local economy (what is the multiplier?).

I wish the Pit Stop was an option so I could be a big shot and buy a round for four hotties. Alas. I could buy a salad ... or take 16 laps around the People Mover ... or visit the DIA and pay the new mandatory admission fee. Maybe I should just eliminate the middle man and send the cash directly to Strawberry's son and ask the city to give me a credit for next year. I definitely have options.

How are y'all spending your return?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5246
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 am

I owe $17 this year (they still owe me $1 from last year).

Should I write "Kwame's Defense Fund" on the "For" part of the check?
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Postby paramour » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:10 pm

$8 will go a long way at your local dollar store.

Good for you to keep your dollars in Detroit!
User avatar
paramour
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 am
Location: it's a secret

Postby jmy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I haven't gotten a check for 2006 yet.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
User avatar
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr
 
Posts: 4190
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Cass Park Village

Postby Mulligan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Got my city refund in the mail yesterday. How about that?

Kwame 2009!
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5246
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Well, I got my '06 refund, just a week shy of the one-year anniversary of my file date.

No telling where the '07 refund will end up, but I can easily drop $100 at this place:

http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?m=5;7&p=B8536

Something for the plate at St. John's and then boombas for everyone at Stempiens.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Postby Mulligan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:50 am

Getting $17 back from the city this year. What's a cock ring going for these days?

Image
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5246
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:04 am

Mulligan wrote:Getting $17 back from the city this year. What's a cock ring going for these days?

Image


Seventeen big one, eh? That's three dozen pierogis or enough Legion beer for you to truly believe that you can speak and sing in Polish, Uke or Slovak.

A cock ring? I'm going to admit right here that I've been married long enough that i'm not even sure that i know what one is. If it's what i think it is, no thanks: I do the times-tables in my head, and that's free.

Nosz drowe.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Postby Mulligan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Mulligan wrote:Getting $17 back from the city this year. What's a cock ring going for these days?

Image


Seventeen big one, eh? That's three dozen pierogis or enough Legion beer for you to truly believe that you can speak and sing in Polish, Uke or Slovak.

A cock ring? I'm going to admit right here that I've been married long enough that i'm not even sure that i know what one is. If it's what i think it is, no thanks: I do the times-tables in my head, and that's free.

Nosz drowe.


Just trying to support our local entrepreneurs.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5246
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 am

They never cashed the $17 check I sent them for my 2001 taxes. I closed that account three years ago so they're kind of out luck. I hope Joe Harris doesn't find my check lodged in a file cabinet and try to cash it. Maybe I should send him a letter.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
User avatar
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:59 am
Location: Ceasing and desisting

Postby chad sexington » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 am

I wrote "Choke on it" on the $6 check I had to write.
User avatar
chad sexington
Not listening to a word
 
Posts: 4731
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:13 am
Location: Checked out

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm getting $253 back this year.

It's Hot Fudge Party Time.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Postby Random Douchebag » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Andy wrote:I'm getting $253 back this year.

It's Hot Fudge Party Time.


You could have a nice weekend stay at a Chicago hotel for that kind of money. And probably enough left over to pay for the Megabus ride.
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
User avatar
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Here, there, everywhere, nowhere.

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Random Douchebag wrote:
Andy wrote:I'm getting $253 back this year.

It's Hot Fudge Party Time.


You could have a nice weekend stay at a Chicago hotel for that kind of money. And probably enough left over to pay for the Megabus ride.


I like the theme. I think I'm going to go out of my way to spend $253 that doesn't benefit the City of Detroit in any way.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Postby davecat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Andy wrote:
Random Douchebag wrote:
Andy wrote:I'm getting $253 back this year.

It's Hot Fudge Party Time.


You could have a nice weekend stay at a Chicago hotel for that kind of money. And probably enough left over to pay for the Megabus ride.


I like the theme. I think I'm going to go out of my way to spend $253 that doesn't benefit the City of Detroit in any way.


I think I'll donate my $41 return to the L. Brooks Patterson for Governor Fund.
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
User avatar
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Midtown Heights

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests