How to spend your city tax refund

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Postby merchantgander » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Andy wrote:I'm getting $253 back this year.

It's Hot Fudge Party Time.

You will really be able to enjoy spending that money when you receive it in a few years.
"There is a new sheriff in town!"

Detroit starts rising on January 19, 2008.
merchantgander
Hot Fudge Welcoming Committee

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 pm

merchantgander wrote:
Andy wrote:I'm getting $253 back this year.

It's Hot Fudge Party Time.

You will really be able to enjoy spending that money when you receive it in a few years.

Just in time for Detroit's next Super Bowl!
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Beav » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

I think you should support your local bartender so's his fiance will have walls when she moves in in a few months.

Hey SOD! I would kill to have blood splattered walls right now!
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby fyfe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:50 pm

for the second year in a row i'm breaking dead even with the city. right down to $0. (which always makes me wonder... do i mail it to the you-owe-me address or the i-owe-you address? eh, no bother either way)

but it got me to thinking, and it might be a stupid question.. but do folks in Hamtramck have to pay Detroit city tax??
fyfe
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:59 pm

fyfe wrote:for the second year in a row i'm breaking dead even with the city. right down to $0. (which always makes me wonder... do i mail it to the you-owe-me address or the i-owe-you address? eh, no bother either way)

but it got me to thinking, and it might be a stupid question.. but do folks in Hamtramck have to pay Detroit city tax??

Not when I lived there for residency...unless you worked in Detroit then you paid the I-work-but don't-live-in-the-city-tax.
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:50 pm

D-Day wrote:
fyfe wrote:for the second year in a row i'm breaking dead even with the city. right down to $0. (which always makes me wonder... do i mail it to the you-owe-me address or the i-owe-you address? eh, no bother either way)

Not when I lived there for residency...unless you worked in Detroit then you paid the I-work-but don't-live-in-the-city-tax.

But Hamtramack has its own income tax, right? In my brief time at AAM I heard of guys sitting on opposite sides of the same machine paying different rates because their jobs were in different cities.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby davecat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:01 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:

But Hamtramack has its own income tax, right? In my brief time at AAM I heard of guys sitting on opposite sides of the same machine paying different rates because their jobs were in different cities.

Part of AAM is in Detroit, I believe. That would be the side paying income tax.
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby D-Day » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:

Yeah...Hamtramck has it's own form of repression by taxation. That's why I moved to Ohio...well, not really. I think there's only a few places in SE Michigan that charge local tax (Detroit, Hamtown and HP are the ones that come to mind). Every city here charges a local tax.......I'm in a township, no local tax.
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Amadeus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:56 pm

davecat wrote:Part of AAM is in Detroit, I believe. That would be the side paying income tax.

Most of the AAM complex is in Detroit. St. Aubin is the demarcation line between the cities right there, and the line runs from the intersection of Holbrook and St. Aubin to Poland Street through the building.

Every few years when the company wanted a tax abatement, they'd make a presentation to Hamtramck City Council of a map of their building with a red line running through it. They would point to the Hamtramck side of the line and say "This is where the new equipment will go if you give us the abatement, and here," pointing to the Detroit side, "is where it will go if you say no."

The situation is similar for GM's Poletown plant, although it gets more complicated with the TIFA. Each year, GM sends a report to Hamtramck, showing what the Hamtramck portion of the TIFA went towards.
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Megatron » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Doesn't the GM poletown plant split the Hamtrack/Detroit border as well? I thought I remembered hearing stories of taxes being paid to certain cities based on which department you worked in.
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby meliss » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Somehow from the combination of Toolbox's six weeks working in the city and my six months living in the city, Detroit owes us a whooping $27. It is better than the $1 or $2 I owed the city during the years I lived there. Seriously, there is something absurd about writing a $1 check and it actually being cashed. I hope they didn't spend it all in one place.

Now we'll wait for the check to show up so we can go spend it in the city - probably Honest John's... we'd need to find a cheap joint for dinner for two and still have a couple dollars to pay the crack whore we found to watch the baby.
meliss
HFD Baby Momma

Postby middle aged female » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 pm

meliss wrote:Somehow from the combination of Toolbox's six weeks working in the city and my six months living in the city, Detroit owes us a whooping $27. It is better than the $1 or $2 I owed the city during the years I lived there. Seriously, there is something absurd about writing a $1 check and it actually being cashed. I hope they didn't spend it all in one place.

Now we'll wait for the check to show up so we can go spend it in the city - probably Honest John's... we'd need to find a cheap joint for dinner for two and still have a couple dollars to pay the crack whore we found to watch the baby.

By the time you get the money from the city, you probably won't have to worry about getting the crack whore to babysit. Your kid will able to go to the bar with you
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby ChefBinky » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Yes, but they will still need to pay for a crackwhore for the kid to go see Thompson with them. It's not nice to visit family friends without bringing a gift.
If Vegetarians eat only vegetables, I shudder to think of what a Humanitarian eats for dinner.
ChefBinky
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mulligan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Mulligan wrote:Getting $17 back from the city this year. What's a cock ring going for these days?

Got my refund in the mail today. Couple that with a $71 escrow surplus check I got from my mortgage company this week and I have enough for four-plus fun outings in the burbs. Here I come Metro Music Cafe!
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Re: How to spend your city tax refund

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Just got a check for $15 from my 2010 return. Time for a drink!
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion