How to spend your city tax refund

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: How to spend your city tax refund

Postby Andy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:20 pm

I get $219 back this year. Will I see it?
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Mud Bug » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Last year I was supposed to get back about that amount but instead got a notice saying I never filed and owed over a grand. Finally was able to get a sympathetic ear who told me the staple that held the W-2 to the return had torn off and if I faxed a copy of my W-2, the situation would be remedied. Amazingly, a couple of weeks later, the refund check arrived. I was sure the money was going to disappear into the vortex.

My guess is refunds will be paid, but at the last possible moment in order to leech every last penny of interest.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:32 am

Mud Bug wrote:Last year I was supposed to get back about that amount but instead got a notice saying I never filed and owed over a grand. Finally was able to get a sympathetic ear who told me the staple that held the W-2 to the return had torn off and if I faxed a copy of my W-2, the situation would be remedied. Amazingly, a couple of weeks later, the refund check arrived. I was sure the money was going to disappear into the vortex.

My guess is refunds will be paid, but at the last possible moment in order to leech every last penny of interest.

A loose staple? Not a surprise, but I can tell you that similar stupidity is also found at the federal level. A few years ago I got jammed up with my federal return: I'd claimed too many dependents, nothing added up, Mr. Frank you're in serious trouble, etc. Granted, my federal return is a mare's nest of forms and aggravation, but ths time I knew that I was right. Fortunately the feds scan your return so the helpdesk guy that I had on the phone was able to pull up everything and review it with me. I could about hear him thinking "aw shit" when he realized that they'd scanned but then failed to include the supplemental page listing all of those beautiful, wonderful dependents and related child tax credits. Most of you probably haven't noticed, but the spot for listing dependents has grown shorter and so supplemental forms become necessary. The lesson for all is not to assume that the man has his shit together and is keeping track of all that we submit.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Mud Bug wrote:Last year I was supposed to get back about that amount but instead got a notice saying I never filed and owed over a grand. Finally was able to get a sympathetic ear who told me the staple that held the W-2 to the return had torn off and if I faxed a copy of my W-2, the situation would be remedied. Amazingly, a couple of weeks later, the refund check arrived. I was sure the money was going to disappear into the vortex.

A loose staple? Not a surprise, but I can tell you that similar stupidity is also found at the federal level. A few years ago I got jammed up with my federal return: I'd claimed too many dependents, nothing added up, Mr. Frank you're in serious trouble, etc. Granted, my federal return is a mare's nest of forms and aggravation, but ths time I knew that I was right. Fortunately the feds scan your return so the helpdesk guy that I had on the phone was able to pull up everything and review it with me. I could about hear him thinking "aw shit" when he realized that they'd scanned but then failed to include the supplemental page listing all of those beautiful, wonderful dependents and related child tax credits. Most of you probably haven't noticed, but the spot for listing dependents has grown shorter and so supplemental forms become necessary. The lesson for all is not to assume that the man has his shit together and is keeping track of all that we submit.

There might also be a lesson about having so many dependents you need an extra form.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:

There might also be a lesson about having so many dependents you need an extra form.

Trust me: April 15th is a pretty sweet day at my house.

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:

Trust me: April 15th is a pretty sweet day at my house.

Just havin' fun with you. My sister and her husband's brood numbers three and they're maybe not as excited as you, but pretty thrilled all the same when tax time rolls around.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Just havin' fun with you. My sister and her husband's brood numbers three and they're maybe not as excited as you, but pretty thrilled all the same when tax time rolls around.

There's a sweet spot defined by income and number of minor kids. When things are working you can end up paying close to nothing. And those are great days, or were.

A less than great day was last night when I was chopping away at the wife's city income tax. She pays to Flint and usually the deal works so that she gets back about enough for a carry-out pizza. Well, this year something went sideways and she owe $1.42. The $1.42 isn't the problem, it's the paperwork for calculating a penalty and then related interest. Flint is under an EFM and I've noticed that the tax forms, the process, and the severity of the whole experience has really ticked up, as in this shit about a penalty. Maybe this is a coincidence, but all of you happy asses down in the D might be in for a little surprise if Snyder really does come to town.

Postby Mud Bug » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:17 am

Completed my Detroit tax return yesterday. The city owes me 349 clams. Hopefully the check will arrive before November.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 pm

We were supposed to get $14 back, but got a letter saying the refund was applied to a 2007 delinquent liability. No other info. What fucking liability? This is just going to be a big waste of time. I can feel it already.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Mud Bug » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:43 pm

The Beav wrote:We were supposed to get $14 back, but got a letter saying the refund was applied to a 2007 delinquent liability. No other info. What fucking liability? This is just going to be a big waste of time. I can feel it already.

$14 bucks is hardly worth the energy required to resolve whatever the issue is. Yes you could've bought a twelve of Oberon with that money but the stress would negate any pleasure.

I have problems with my return every other year. Usually they just return 1/3 less than what is legitimately owed (no reason listed) but one year, when I opened the envelope, instead of finding a refund check there was a letter stating that I owed $1200 because I did not pay or file my city tax, despite the fact that I have it automatically deducted from my paycheck and did file that year. Long story short, I was able to get someone on the line (after the phone rang for twenty minutes straight) to whom I could explain the situation. I was very nice (tip: if you do call, be super pleasant because I'm sure 90% of callers are pissy and easy to ignore), and an hour later, she actually called back and said a check would be in the mail soon as the mistake was identified. The explanation: a paper clip failure had caused a mix up and I was accidently placed in the "payment due" stack. I can only assume the process is so byzantine that an audit would find it grossly inefficient and erroneous. On the flip side, I have heard stories about people getting plumb refund checks years after they stopped working in the city, so maybe there's a silver lining to the problem.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Mud Bug wrote:
The Beav wrote:We were supposed to get $14 back, but got a letter saying the refund was applied to a 2007 delinquent liability. No other info. What fucking liability? This is just going to be a big waste of time. I can feel it already.

$14 bucks is hardly worth the energy required to resolve whatever the issue is. Yes you could've bought a twelve of Oberon with that money but the stress would negate any pleasure.

I have problems with my return every other year. Usually they just return 1/3 less than what is legitimately owed (no reason listed) but one year, when I opened the envelope, instead of finding a refund check there was a letter stating that I owed $1200 because I did not pay or file my city tax, despite the fact that I have it automatically deducted from my paycheck and did file that year. Long story short, I was able to get someone on the line (after the phone rang for twenty minutes straight) to whom I could explain the situation. I was very nice (tip: if you do call, be super pleasant because I'm sure 90% of callers are pissy and easy to ignore), and an hour later, she actually called back and said a check would be in the mail soon as the mistake was identified. The explanation: a paper clip failure had caused a mix up and I was accidently placed in the "payment due" stack. I can only assume the process is so byzantine that an audit would find it grossly inefficient and erroneous. On the flip side, I have heard stories about people getting plumb refund checks years after they stopped working in the city, so maybe there's a silver lining to the problem.

There's a low life on the west side with my exact same first and last name. About 2005, I got a call from a collection agency, and they would not believe that I had never bought a Mercury Cougar. I finally got one of my lawyer friends to call them (pro bono!) and explain that if they didn't stop threatening me, they'd be in court. No more phone calls. I did file a police report in GPP, because I thought my identity may have been stolen, but they did a little research when they called the collection agency and found out about the dude on the west side.

I wonder if this is related to that dude.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Amadeus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:19 pm

The Beav wrote:There's a low life on the west side with my exact same first and last name. About 2005, I got a call from a collection agency, and they would not believe that I had never bought a Mercury Cougar. I finally got one of my lawyer friends to call them (pro bono!) and explain that if they didn't stop threatening me, they'd be in court. No more phone calls. I did file a police report in GPP, because I thought my identity may have been stolen, but they did a little research when they called the collection agency and found out about the dude on the west side.

I wonder if this is related to that dude.

My guess is that it has nothing to do with your alter ego. We got the same letter, except ours was for tax year 2006. They took $15 from us.

That's one way to balance the budget.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby guest » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:08 pm

I used to get letters demanding petty amounts, ten or twenty bucks, and knowing that nobody was going to pick up the phone I went down to CAY and after a short wait I was called in and took a seat while the woman fired up a green screen computer and found that I was actually owed a small credit. One thing I learned is that if they apply an estimated payment to wrong year, something they seem wont to do, it won't carry over as a credit to the following or intended year. They really had paleolithic technology; mix in people with no education who don't give a fuck and, oh never mind.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:46 am

I have a scattering of un-cashed city refund checks. The amounts are quite small, like less than $10 or 20 each, and frankly I just forgot to cash them before the 180-day window had passed. I have one of those consonant-heavy last names so it's pretty unique, which has led to a few excited phone calls and emails from friends and neighbors who've trolled the unclaimed property websites. You know, something like "Frank, I see that you have UNCLAIMED PROPERTY!!!! There could be millions out there from a long-lost relative." Yeah. Finally, though, I had to act when my father came upon the site and then began pestering me to follow up. I'd be on the phone with him for our weekly chat and in addition to his normal repertoire of unwanted advice (e.g. lose weight, eat more fiber, repaint the walls of the garage, enroll the kids in soccer if they want to play, investigate that noise under the hood, etc.) and he'd ask if I hadn't made a call and then why in the hell not. This is a drag, you know, because I'm just trying to be a good son and check in and for my trouble I'm catching shit about a cumulative 38 bucks that, given the headaches, I don't want to fool with.

So finally I break. I have to do something to stop this Chinese water torture so I download the form to initiate the reclamation process, but there's like 20 outrageous steps to establishing one's identity, and this is only the first part. NFW. I admitted defeat, first to myself and then to my dad. Thus, his belief that I'm lazy as well as a scattered-brain dumb-ass is affirmed once again. But, mercifully, the issue fell from the frequent-play list in our conversations and phone calls.

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 am

$2 from the city of Pontiac!
The Suburban Avenger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion