How to spend your city tax refund

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: How to spend your city tax refund

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:$2 from the city of Pontiac!

I bet that it's a hot check
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:39 pm

Put the finishing touches on the ol' '15 taxes today and thus was reminded that our minuscule city of Flint refund due last April was donated back to the city to help pay for water service for the indigent. See, even when he's trying to do right white-y cannot stop himself from keeping the brother down. In retrospect I guess that we'd have accomplished more good by taking the 17 bucks as an actual refund and then donating it to some benign irrelevancy like the National Front or Chuck's online tip jar.

Postby Amadeus » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Holy crap, what a difference now that the state is processing the city's returns!

I got my $14 back in less than 2 weeks. In fact, the paper check made it to my home before the direct-deposited state refund.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

got a check back last week for $925, I think from 2014, and don't know why

today my tech was asking me how to download his W2 off the company website - uh, you know that was all due 42 minutes ago, right? - it's already late so why worry?
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:10 pm

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:got a check back last week for $925, I think from 2014, and don't know why

today my tech was asking me how to download his W2 off the company website - uh, you know that was all due 42 minutes ago, right? - it's already late so why worry?

it's not midnight? Thought that was the case.

Years past there'd be a line of cars to drop off returns just trying to beat the deadline: post office guys out front collecting themby hand. God bless TTurboTax because I was by the post office earlier tonight and I was the only one there.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:42 am

Craig wrote:
Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:got a check back last week for $925, I think from 2014, and don't know why

it's not midnight? Thought that was the case.

Years past there'd be a line of cars to drop off returns just trying to beat the deadline: post office guys out front collecting themby hand. God bless TTurboTax because I was by the post office earlier tonight and I was the only one there.

methinks i read somewhere that the PO won't be open after hours as per the usual tax day routine

edit: the fat refund referenced above may have been from the state, i dunno, can't remember the last time i got a refund that i didn't just apply to next year...been using turbo tax for the last few years now, inherited a small sum in 3 limited partnerships and there's no figuring that shit out, they send an instruction form that literally looks like billy from family circus going "next door", it's some complicated shit and i'm not sure that turbo tax understands it any better than i do, also the amt is a fucking killer if you have any kind of income at all
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:56 am

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:...the amt is a fucking killer if you have any kind of income at all

I don't understand the premise behind the AMT because I take zero deductions and no longer itemize, yet every damn year the AMT knot of a worksheet dings me good. I thought that this was supposed to be a way to catch people like Bill Clinton who would deduct the value of the used underwear that he'd donate to the Salvation Army (eight bucks a pair, if memory serves), but I don't do anything to duck or hide, yet I get an annual kick in the nuts.

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:22 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote: ...I thought that this was supposed to be a way to catch people like Bill Clinton who would deduct the value of the used underwear...

my understanding is that the amt was designed to make sure those bastard one percenters, meaning anybody who makes more than you or me, pay their share but inflation creep eventually made it so it hit more middle class types and congress never bothered to adjust for it
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:46 am

So Apple set up an off-shore shell that ultimately served as a tax-dodge. Because the shell was based in Ireland the EU has become involved and is requiring Ireland to get the 13 billion Euros in uncollected tax. Ireland is all"f-that" in terms of covering this with petty cash so Apple is getting a bill.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm

I break right when it comes to taxation. For sure taxes are necessary to fund the whole shebang, and at the same time they hurt private investment and growth. And then there are the unexpected spin-offs, like societal decay, dependence, etc. However, in the spirit of egalitarianism everyone should pay something, even my dumb high schoolers earning only a few thousand. But according to the E.U.

Apple only paid an effective corporate tax rate that declined from 1% in 2003 to 0.005% in 2014 on the profits of Apple Sales International.

Apple ran off-shore to hide from the IRS. Pay up, you pricks.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Just had a few pulls off of a bottle of blended Dewars scotch that I'm told retails for 200. I might be freaking myself out with the price thing, but holy cats it's the smoothest drink that I've ever had.

Nobody here paid retail, btw. It's a left-over sample from client biz. But if you have to pay retail then this is worth the price.

Postby ldodger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Just had a few pulls off of a bottle of blended Dewars scotch that I'm told retails for 200. I might be freaking myself out with the price thing, but holy cats it's the smoothest drink that I've ever had.

Nobody here paid retail, btw. It's a left-over sample from client biz. But if you have to pay retail then this is worth the price.

betterhalf drinks Macallan something or other. I don't know the difference between scotch, whiskey, or whatever, I just know that stuff should be gold for the price he pays. He has two bottles of the stuff, one is 12 years and the other is 18 years. I spotted it for a pretty good price at the duty-free a few years ago. I've been looking for something like it, but different to surprise him with one day.

A couple of years ago, I bought him one of those pear-in-the-jar brandies. At least, I think it was brandy. He hasn't opened it to drink. I'm guessing it'll just sit there and never be opened.

Maybe that Dewars stuff is something he'd like.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 am

ldodger wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Just had a few pulls off of a bottle of blended Dewars scotch that I'm told retails for 200. I might be freaking myself out with the price thing, but holy cats it's the smoothest drink that I've ever had.

betterhalf drinks Macallan something or other. I don't know the difference between scotch, whiskey, or whatever, I just know that stuff should be gold for the price he pays. He has two bottles of the stuff, one is 12 years and the other is 18 years. I spotted it for a pretty good price at the duty-free a few years ago. I've been looking for something like it, but different to surprise him with one day.

A couple of years ago, I bought him one of those pear-in-the-jar brandies. At least, I think it was brandy. He hasn't opened it to drink. I'm guessing it'll just sit there and never be opened.

Don't mistake me for one with an educated palette. Through good luck indulgent big shots with freewheeling expense accounts I've been exposed to a lot and learned a little about scotch whisky. Single malt is highly regarded, and the blended stuff usually is seen as something for the tourists and pedestrians. Nonetheless, since being introduced I've enjoyed Johnny Walker Black, a blended option that sells for maybe 45-bucks for a fifth or 80 for a half-gallon. Good stuff for my taste. Macallan's is a single malt and in the circles where I move it is highly regarded, or at least the 15+ options are well received. The guys feeding me the Dewar's now have been sharing what they've learned, and the argument FOR blended is that with blending many good things and even better outcome is possible, just like the saw about the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Makes sense? I dunno. I like what I like, and even though I've had some exclusive stuff poured I still can enjoy stuff that is so low on the shelves that it's basically on the floor.

Dewar's Signature is what I described above. The interwebs prices it as high as the mid-200s, but here's a place that sells it for $165:

http://www.napacabs.com/dewar-s-signature-blended-scotch-whisky-750ml.html

Crazy what people will pay for good stuff.

Postby middle aged female » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:12 pm

This isn't a Scotch, but a Bourbon, but you may want to buy it for him just for the name. Also, it's the go to drink for Hetty on NCIS: Los Angeles, and it's described as incredibly smooth. She only gives it to her people on very special occasions.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby D-Day » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:14 pm

ldodger wrote:

Look at this site for BH's MacAllen and let me know if this is cheaper. I can bring you a bottle or two when I come up if you want me too:

http://thepartysource.com/macallan-en
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:49 am

Funny, because in a bit (TED Talk?) that I heard on NPR Pappy van Tinkle was held up as an example of how consumer valuation of products shoot upward when said product is perceived as being of luxury quality. I've heard of it, actually, from a work friend years ago with whom I was traveling and we fell into a discussion of whisky & bourbon and nice things that can be buried into expense reports when you're on the road for a week and sitting in airport bars. The friend like Pappy like I like Johnny and we saluted old comrades while waiting for the rain to lift at La Guardia.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion