Crap Journalism in the D

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Crap Journalism in the D

Postby Mud Bug » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:59 pm

thunderstruck wrote:Clearly you're the intended demographic for HFD.

I guess so, that is if you can call thirty middle age white people and their 700 user names a demographic.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:13 pm

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/2015/08/04/bon-appetit-roses-fine-food-best-new/31100027/

The food ain't bad but it's served to you by a bunch of people that could use a bath.

If Rose's is one of the 50 best new restaurants in the U.S., the folks at Bon Appetit sure as shit are napping on the job.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby guest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:00 pm

Couldn't sleep this morning because of the rain pounding on my windows so I got up and checked the news. WDIV reports possible rain and it could be heavy at times. That's good to know. Glad it didn't affect my commute, although the Lodge was closed for some unknown reason.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 pm

The Detroit News is endorsing Gary Johnson ... and Ingrid Jacques looks like a giraffe.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/editorials/2016/09/28/endorse-johnson-president/91254412/
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:27 pm

John Gallagher never will be accused of actually verifying what his sources, in this case, the U of M professor, tell him. This is still really bad, even for him.

The closing of the Palace of Auburn Hills marks just the latest example of a major suburban anchor dying well before its time.
Along with Northland Center, Summit Place Mall, the Pontiac Silverdome, the old Kmart headquarters in Troy -- all these and the Palace were hailed as cutting-edge developments when they opened. Yet all face either demolition or drastic overhauls. And the massive Bloomfield Park mixed-use project proved to be stillborn, facing demolition after stalling out during construction.
That a project as prominent as the Palace of Auburn Hills could face demolition after a mere 29 years of use says something not only about changing market trends but about the massive miscalculation that enabled the past half-century of suburban sprawl.
Back in 1965, Detroit Edison hired the noted Athens-based consulting firm Doxiadis Associates to map out the future of metro Detroit. In a stunningly misguided bit of forecasting, the Doxiadis report projected that metro Detroit's population would more than double by 2000. Instead, the population fell several million people shy of that.
Yet the Doxiadis forecast was hailed at the time as visionary, and it cleared the way for massive suburban expansion.
Not only were the population forecasts flat-out wrong, but nobody foresaw that the millennial generation now making key decisions about where to live and work would turn its back on their parents' ideas of suburban bliss.
Peter Allen has taught real estate development at the University of Michigan for 35 years. He starts each term asking students to say where they want to live and work when they graduate.
"The top cities have always been New York, Chicago, and occasionally Los Angeles, until five years ago," Allen said. "Five years ago the first brave soul said, 'I want to go to Detroit.' Now about a third of the class says, 'I want to go to Detroit,' mostly at the expense of Chicago. And none of these kids want to move to the suburbs."
Instead of enclosed malls and stadiums plopped in a sea of asphalt parking, today's decision makers want walkable urbanism. It's a concept that also goes by the term "20-minute neighborhoods." It describes how today's millennials, as well as empty-nesters, want to live, work, and play within the same walkable urban district — and not have to rely on the private automobile to get anywhere.
It's the reason why walkable Detroit neighborhoods like Midtown, Corktown, and West Village are growing in popularity, as well as more walkable suburban downtown districts like Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham.

The last graf and change is a headshaker no matter what perspective you bring into reading this.
So the decision makers are the reason for the urban gold rush? Empty nesters (many of whom have valuable equity built up in their homes) are trying to get close to Third Man?
Young people have not wanted to live in the suburbs since there have been suburbs. They just end up moving there, for the most part, when they decide a good school district or living on a relatively quiet street in their own house is more suited to where they happen to be in life.

The link is below. It goes on to suggest the Palace and shopping malls like Summit Place and Northland are dead for the same reasons.
This is garbage.
http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/john-gallagher/2017/04/14/detroit-palace-northland-silverdome/100412278/
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Craig » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 am

^
In a way you cannot blame the Freep for jumping on the Palace story and taking liberties. For urbanists and Detroitists the return of the Pistons must inspire the same feelings of joy that echoed forth in late '89 when the Berlin wall was collapsing and dragging down with it all that was hated about the Soviet empire. So dance, dance on the grave of the misguided sensibilities that caused folk to abandon the gloriously grungy commercial strips and 'hoods overstuffed with people.

Funny and timely, because just last night my wife and I were sitting on the porch with wine and remarking just how dead and empty the streets of of our sub were, just like always. This place went up the in the 60s so there are sidewalks and large, lovely trees, but you just don't see people. Cue the laments of of one who knew his neighbors and felt a second see of belonging way back before one's personal exodus from the D, but then there's this truth: life in the city isnt for everyone because so much of it legitimately sucks; real people realize this and this fact is way discounted in the piece cited by SA. Do I miss seeing people? Sometimes I do, but I also love that the worst of my problems are dandelions and squirrels eating the suet; stand this up against never-enough street parking and violent crime and the banality of the 'burbs will continue to attract armies, not just the odd acolyte.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Tea Bag » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Story about married couple discovering they were twins during IVF appears to be fake

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/1 ... -fake.html

Yesterday, I heard one of the majors networks report this as news. Now's it's been debunked.

Maybe not in the D but still some crap journalism.
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 am

Tea Bag wrote:
Story about married couple discovering they were twins during IVF appears to be fake

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/1 ... -fake.html

Yesterday, I heard one of the majors networks report this as news. Now's it's been debunked.

Maybe not in the D but still some crap journalism.

I once worked with a guy who was married to a woman who was exactly his age in that they shared a birthday: they met at a bar on their 21st birthday while out celebrating with their respective circles of college friends. Marriage lasted for six or seven years until he met someone else at work.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Previous

Return to General Discussion