Crap Journalism in the D

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Crap Journalism in the D

Postby hollowpoint » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:38 am

Hmong National Development Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy organization, is holding its annual conference in Detroit April 12-15. Michigan was chosen, in part, to host the conference because it's the state with the highest Hmong population behind California, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Carolina, says William Yang, volunteer coordinator at the national development group.

But that's not the only reason Michigan was chosen.

Hundreds of Hmong educators, leaders and advocates from around the country will attend the national conference, and workshops will include discussions about hate crimes against Hmong and other Asian people, says Maykao Lytongpao, a Detroit bilingual teacher who helped organize the national conference.

The local case of Chonburi Xiong, the 18-year-old killed last fall, will be part of the discussions, she says, but notes that "hate crimes are one of the hot topics right now among the Hmong community around the nation."

Xiong was in the basement bedroom of his parents' house on a Sunday morning last fall when four police officers fatally shot him, hitting him 27 times. (See "Shooting Pains," MT, Feb. 7). Family members had called police the day before reportedly because he had taken the family car without permission, but police had neither a search nor arrest warrant when they entered the home and killed him.

An internal review and Macomb County Prosecutor's Office investigation cleared the officers, but the Hmong community has sought more answers. Youth from the Detroit Asian Youth Project organized a memorial service for Xiong in February, and the group plans more workshops this summer, says Stephanie Chang, one of the DAY Project Founders.

"They've been working on a workshop, sort of a know-your-rights workshop on how to interact with police," she says. "They did the workshop this past weekend, and they're going to do it again at the Hmong national conference."

The local group also had brochures translated into Hmong about how to interact with police. "It should be pretty useful for people," Chang says. They will be distributed at the national conference.

Meanwhile, the Xiong family's federal $5 million civil rights lawsuit against the Warren Police Department is progressing, although any trial is still about a year away.

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=10369

Uh, MT, aren't you leaving out some important details? Like how Xiong shot up his house the day before, causing his family to call 911? And how his family reported he had stolen Mommy's car and was carrying two guns? And how he pointed one of the guns at the police the next day? You also might want to mention Xiong's lengthy history of violent behavior and spreading fear in his neighborhood. And now that you're the expert source on all matters legal and constitutional, maybe you should touch on exceptions to the 4th amendment where police can enter a residence without a warrant to make an arrest under exigent circumstances (like when someone has a gun and is putting bullets through the walls).

I dedicate this thread to local crap journalism done by amateurs or the lazy. Not that every post will be from the Metrotimes, but they'll definitely be a leader.
hollowpoint
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Random Douchebag » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:32 am

I dedicate this thread to local crap journalism done by amateurs or the lazy.
You can't blame the MT's willful omissions on amateurism or sloth. They know exactly what they're doing when they eliminate details in order to manipulate opinion. I can only hope that their readership is a little smarter than they give them credit for.
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby The Conscience » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:57 am

The local group also had brochures translated into Hmong about how to interact with police. "It should be pretty useful for people," Chang says.

Lesson #1: Don't point gun at police.
Lesson #2: If you do point gun at police, be ready for loud noises and bright flashes followed by perfect silence and pure darkness.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby butter bean » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:03 pm

The Metrotimes doesn't have the monopoly on cupcake journalism and truth-challenged editorial positions that re-define demagoguery. Don't forget about the Michigan Citizen.
butter bean
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Grape-thrower misfires at school board meeting

Antics bring Detroit national negative spotlight - again

April 5, 2007

The phone rang at 6 this morning, and a friend in Kentucky, laughing heartily, asked: “That wasn’t you throwing grapes at the school board meeting, was it?”

And there you have it. Detroit looks silly in America again.

So-called activists disrupted the school board as it voted to balance its budget by closing schools to keep its costs in line with its declining student population. One audience member threw grapes, hitting a board member in the chest and getting arrested.

Detroit is so mired in the past - the way the auto industry works, the way the state legislature doesn’t, the way race relations stymie our progress – that it is possible that some activists still believe that it’s 1968.

But the type of antics that occur at most board meetings accomplish nothing – except to provide entertainment for news-watchers across America

Damn right, they do!

Agnes Hitchcock, the Grape-Thrower, could have offered the board suggestions on how to continue to serve steak on a hamburger budget. Instead, she became the Grape-Thrower, a national laughingstock

Problem is, she made Detroit a laughingstock as well. And that ought to be a crime.

After Kruggerands, Devils Night Redux under Archer, Coleman cursing on 20/20, the Navigator, Kwame Time, the masion party that never happened, Jackie Currie, Barbara Rose, Lonnie Bates, the Lions, the lowest graduation rate among large urban school districts, Bubba Helms, annual entry into the "be the murder capital of America!" sweepstakes and myriad other things, some batshit moron throwing a grape at a public meeting sounds downright tame to me.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Rochelle Riley's refusal to use her column for anything more than hand-wringing and soft-focus garbage coupled with her occasional soft-focus hand-wringing about the lack of in-depth media analysis of serious issues facing Detroit makes her an embarrassment to Detroit on par with Anges Hitchcock.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby susanarosa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:48 pm

My favorite Rochelle Riley moment had to be when Adolph Mongo called her out on her bullshit by pointing out that she does not live in the city of Detroit on Flashpoint by saying "Well, since I'm the only person here who can vote in this election..." the look on her fact was classic.
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl

Postby jmy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:24 pm

God, I hate Rochelle Riley. She's dumb, even for Free Press columnists.

She and I had a pretty heated email exchange around SuperBowl when she claimed Detroit was rosey, nothing to fear about being killed, come on down and party. I told her I thought she was being callous and naive, especially after, you know, the fatal shooting in the middle of the festivities.

Then, what, six months ago she started wringing her hands about violence in the city after an aquaintance's son was carjacked. What a dumb tart.

And why does a local columnist get a green light to discuss national politics and foreign policy?
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:07 pm

jmy wrote:And why does a local columnist get a green light to discuss national politics and foreign policy?

'Cuz it's a lot easier than talking about the problems we have right here in good old Detroit.

Maybe it's just the way I look at it, but there has been far too much looking for the positive side of things in the way many stories have been reported lately. The one that jumps to mind was the "Detroit a better Super Bowl host than Miami" nonstory-story.

After the 1968 Democratic convention, the Chicago Tribune printed souvenir copies of the mayor's office's whitewash of the police riot. Asked later why the paper reprinted what they knew to be a pack of lies, an editor said something to the effect that "Chicago was under fire and we felt we had to do something to defend the city."

Flash forward 40 years and you have the editorial decision-making process at the Freep.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Conscience » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 pm

I do miss the good ole days of Pete Waldmeir vs. Coleman Young. One of of my favorites, among the many, was the time Pete wrote he was going to punch Hizzoner on the nose in front of all his bodyguards because city parking maids were ticketing school buses parked on Jefferson while the DSO was doing their Christmas Nutcracker for the kids.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby hollowpoint » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Looks like Rochelle snipped off her braids. Nolan could use them:

http://www.detroitpublictv.org/ondemand ... rvod.shtml

Why are they talking about Iran?
hollowpoint
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby susanarosa » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Suspect in Troy shooting beleived captured; 2 wounded, 1 dead

I before E except after C.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl

Postby The Beav » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:56 pm

susanarosa wrote:

Looks like he was heading up to where our buddy Stephen Grant tried to hide.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:34 pm

susanarosa wrote:

The Freep's Web site has had a couple of heds with mispelled words lately. Sure, you want to be quick with the information, but it only takes about 10 seconds to read over the hed before you publish it.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby hollowpoint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:44 am

Get rid of Imus -- and sexist rap, too
April 10, 2007

BY ROCHELLE RILEY

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Yes, we are angry over radio host Don Imus losing his mind on his nationally syndicated show and calling members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

But step away from the anger for a minute. Imus may have done us two favors.

First, his comments were incendiary. If they incite haters to do harm, then he will have aided and abetted hate crimes, which has to make law enforcement consider hate speech as a motivation for crime.

For instance, skinheads could use his words to say: "We're right, let's go beat somebody up." Or some Strom Thurmond wannabes who didn't father black children could use his words as affirmation of their actions and say, "Let's revisit housing deed restrictions and school segregation."

If Imus' words incite hate crimes, then perhaps he could be arrested for his role. And he'll be off the air.

Or, Imus may have finally cast a large enough spotlight on the social crimes of black rappers, who aided and abetted his comments. Every rapper who uses the language of the genre makes it easier for racists and sad, inexplicably popular stars such as Imus to do so, too. It is rappers who have made those words part of our culture, part of the inescapable cloud of noise outside our homes, in our kids' schools and in most public places.

America's backslide

I actually held my breath when I did a computer spell-check on this column, and it didn't recognize "hos," but instead suggested that I use the word for a garden tool.

Sexist rap, and that's what I call any rap that includes the words "bitches and hos," has become prevalent and acceptable. But it remains as hurtful as the first time Ice-T called for cops to be killed two decades ago.

If CBS-Radio leads the way for all radio to forbid hate speech from the airwaves, then the network could retire Imus with the thanks of a grateful nation of parents. And Imus would be off the air.

The language and the feelings behind them have contributed to America's backslide to a time when women were considered inferior and black people were considered animals. Imus' apology was silly and inadequate. I don't want it. And I don't want an apology from Ludacris or 50 Cent or The Game. What I want is for them and others like them to stop.

Real change?

So perhaps Imus may lead America to its senses and may lead the FCC, which stands for Failing Children Constantly, actually to do its job. Perhaps the Imus event will one day be viewed as the watershed moment when media woke up and refused to aid and abet hate.

Don Imus didn't do anything new last week. He just went too far. If we ignore it, as we've ignored the rising tide of hatred and sexism in rap, it will be at our own peril.

So whether Imus gets connected with a hate crime and is eventually arrested or whether his comments lead us to stop accepting hate speech as entertainment, either way, he'll be off the air. And we can send a thank-you card to the retirement home where he'll be sitting on a porch wondering, "What was I thinking?"

Oh shut up. Imus wasn't inciting anyone to hurt anyone and you know it, Rochelle. He thought he was being funny, like the kind of funny on Saturday Night Live or The Office. It was tasteless and rude but so is everything else on tv and radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Y72sbKSa8
hollowpoint
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to General Discussion