Crap Journalism in the D

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Crap Journalism in the D

Postby guest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Picked up a copy of MetroTimes to look at over a burger. Since the merger with Real Detroit the amount of content has increased tenfold while the number of articles I'm actually interested in reading has decreased by at least that much. Seriously, how can they write that much shit that doesn't even merit a scan of the introductory paragraph? Cross to Hipsters Are Boring.

On the plus side, they now seem to be closer to delivering their Get it Wednesday publication on Wednesday, but they're still unreliable.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Ya Mar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Michigan’s Oldest Continuously Operating Restaurant Gets A $3 Million Makeover

The 164-year-old White Horse Inn and Restaurant in Metamora, Michigan, is nearly ready to reopen thanks to two Oakland Country restaurant owners, The Detroit Free Press reports. Linda Egeland and Victor Dzenowagis purchased the building after the previous owners closed the inn in 2012 due, in part, to the high cost of repairs.

http://detroit.eater.com/2014/10/27/707 ... -3-million
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby middle aged female » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 am

Ya Mar wrote:

The 164-year-old White Horse Inn and Restaurant in Metamora, Michigan, is nearly ready to reopen thanks to two Oakland Country restaurant owners, The Detroit Free Press reports. Linda Egeland and Victor Dzenowagis purchased the building after the previous owners closed the inn in 2012 due, in part, to the high cost of repairs.

It's also been closed in the past for periods of time. It was a dive bar in the 70's for a while, too
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Mulligan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Ya Mar wrote:

And Dead Ed is the oldest continuously operating Fudger.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Roquefort Robert » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:01 am

I used to go to the White Horse quite often as a kid as it was the only place to eat in Metamora at the time. It was the transition time from dive bar to fine dining.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Mulligan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:03 am

The drill team — 16 men in business suits, carrying briefcases, stepping and shouting in unison and directed by Hill — is a crowd favorite in metro Detroit and has made appearances around the country, including at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York, at the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., at Navy Pier in Chicago, at the Indianapolis 500 and at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The team even appeared in singer Jackson Browne's 1983 video "Lawyers in Love."

"If you look back over, I don't know, maybe 150 appearances, we've done some pretty unique things," Hill said.

Unique indeed. According to a Free Press story written in 1999, the group, which first appeared in 1985, had an unusual start.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /19523575/

Huh?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby middle aged female » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 am

Mulligan wrote:
The drill team — 16 men in business suits, carrying briefcases, stepping and shouting in unison and directed by Hill — is a crowd favorite in metro Detroit and has made appearances around the country, including at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York, at the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., at Navy Pier in Chicago, at the Indianapolis 500 and at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The team even appeared in singer Jackson Browne's 1983 video "Lawyers in Love."

"If you look back over, I don't know, maybe 150 appearances, we've done some pretty unique things," Hill said.

Unique indeed. According to a Free Press story written in 1999, the group, which first appeared in 1985, had an unusual start.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /19523575/

Huh?

Run it forward to 3:30 and watch til the end. If you look closely there are women in the formation, so maybe this is pre-Fred Hill, although the leader looks like Fred
middle aged female

Postby D-Day » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:14 pm

You can't make this shit up.....oops, wrong Harbaugh!!!!

http://deadspin.com/hey-newspaper-thats ... 1675978849
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:41 pm

The Tap Room is Wayne County's best dive bar according to the MT.
Who doesn't love a dive bar filled with rich college kids and rich kid underachievers every weekend?
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby middle aged female » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:49 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:The Tap Room is Wayne County's best dive bar according to the MT.
Who doesn't love a dive bar filled with rich college kids and rich kid underachievers every weekend?

It's the same publication that awarded this:
Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion
Detroit Yes
DetroitYes.com

Sure, there are plenty of gadflies who meander about the DYes! forum, but, all in all, you really can't find a much better location to sift through thought-provoking commentary on the day's issues. You'll constantly find a select few bickering back-and-forth, making for great peanut gallery observations. Make note that, if you play nice, chances are you'll find a majority of the active users to offer stimulating conversation. But beware: There's a strong cohort that will likely drive you nuts.

So what do you expect?
middle aged female

Postby guest » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Question - Did MetroTimes drop Jack Lessenberry? Not seeing him in the online version. I'd look at a print copy but they've been failing to get those out in any significant number for a few years now.

I wonder if their advertisers know that they're paying for pages that aren't being distributed. Cross to Ask Expert and Swindles Scams
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Fickle Finger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Frank, did they interview you for this?

Crews filmed last week in Detroit for a Comedy Central pilot on a series called "Detroiter," a comedy that chronicles the travails of two small-time ad men producing low-budget, off-beat commercials.

Photo from Michigan Film Office
On Wednesday, days after the filming in Detroit was completed, the program got a dose of good news: The Michigan Film Office announced that show is eligible for $445,620 in state film incentives based on a projected spending of over $1.2 million with state-based vendors and 89 anticipated cast and crew hires – 74 of whom will be residents, equating to 10 full-time employee positions, a press release said.

The announcement of the incentive comes as some lawmakers are working to eliminate the film incentive program. But the Michigan Film Office told Deadline Detroit that the lawmakers' efforts wouldn't impact film incentives already in the pipeline.

The comedy show has the backing of some big names in comedy.

It's being executive produced, created and written by Sam Richardson, Tim Robinson, Joe Kelly and Zach Kanin, and is executive produced by “Saturday Night Live” creator Lorne Michaels’ Broadway Video and comic/actor Jason Sudeikis.

Comedy Central’s “Detroiters” is the latest of approved incentive projects from the Michigan Film Office.
Recently announced projects include “My Soul to Keep,” “Swish Master,” “Golem,” “The Pickle Recipe” and “Bug Bites," according to the press release.
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mud Bug » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:44 pm

guest wrote:Question - Did MetroTimes drop Jack Lessenberry? Not seeing him in the online version. I'd look at a print copy but they've been failing to get those out in any significant number for a few years now.

I wonder if their advertisers know that they're paying for pages that aren't being distributed. Cross to Ask Expert and Swindles Scams

Wouldn't that be nice?! Nope, he's still there, under the news tab, still whining about how the Man or the System is screwing someone over.

The MT website is a site I check out maybe once a month, and when I do, it only confirms I not their intended demographic. Stories about bands no one ever listens to. How Satan worship is the next cool thing. How juggalos make great neighbors. How if a conservative idea or notion ever floats through your brain, you're evil or an idiot (aka essenberry's general weekly theme). And I every front page story is a updated retread from the same time last year: Opening day Tigers- 2015! Best Of Detroit- 2015! The Love and Sex Issue- 2015! They have become as predictable as a moth to a flame.

I can remember, back in the day, when they actually did genuine Detroit investigative reporting or cutting-edge (and often funny) social commentary. It was a fertile place where local gadfly writers and graphic artists would emerge from their cocoons and pump blood into their wings. Now it's mostly fluff pieces about places to go and be seen and Hustler Club ads.

Speaking of HFD Things for Which I'm not the Intended Demographic, recently I was in Vegas for a week with some co-workers, who happen to match my demographic in nearly all categories. As we were driving down the Vegas strip, we passed a massive sign with a strange word and a picture of a male model and nothing more. It could have been a cologne ad, a male strip club, a dance club, a hip athletic club, a gay dating service, who the F knows. "I have no idea what that sign is advertising", said one of my co-workers. "That's because you are not the intended demographic", I posited, and explained that if we were the intended demographic, we would instantly recognize what was being advertised. It was a concept that I had learned here, which I did not tell them, and instead let it seem like I'm that naturally perceptive. I'm that guy.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby thunderstruck » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Mud Bug wrote:
guest wrote:Question - Did MetroTimes drop Jack Lessenberry? Not seeing him in the online version. I'd look at a print copy but they've been failing to get those out in any significant number for a few years now.

Wouldn't that be nice?! Nope, he's still there, under the news tab, still whining about how the Man or the System is screwing someone over.

The MT website is a site I check out maybe once a month, and when I do, it only confirms I not their intended demographic. Stories about bands no one ever listens to. How Satan worship is the next cool thing. How juggalos make great neighbors. How if a conservative idea or notion ever floats through your brain, you're evil or an idiot (aka essenberry's general weekly theme). And I every front page story is a updated retread from the same time last year: Opening day Tigers- 2015! Best Of Detroit- 2015! The Love and Sex Issue- 2015! They have become as predictable as a moth to a flame.

I can remember, back in the day, when they actually did genuine Detroit investigative reporting or cutting-edge (and often funny) social commentary. It was a fertile place where local gadfly writers and graphic artists would emerge from their cocoons and pump blood into their wings. Now it's mostly fluff pieces about places to go and be seen and Hustler Club ads.

Speaking of HFD Things for Which I'm not the Intended Demographic, recently I was in Vegas for a week with some co-workers, who happen to match my demographic in nearly all categories. As we were driving down the Vegas strip, we passed a massive sign with a strange word and a picture of a male model and nothing more. It could have been a cologne ad, a male strip club, a dance club, a hip athletic club, a gay dating service, who the F knows. "I have no idea what that sign is advertising", said one of my co-workers. "That's because you are not the intended demographic", I posited, and explained that if we were the intended demographic, we would instantly recognize what was being advertised. It was a concept that I had learned here, which I did not tell them, and instead let it seem like I'm that naturally perceptive. I'm that guy.

Clearly you're the intended demographic for HFD.
thunderstruck
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mud Bug » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:53 pm

The Fickle Finger wrote:Frank, did they interview you for this?

Crews filmed last week in Detroit for a Comedy Central pilot on a series called "Detroiter," a comedy that chronicles the travails of two small-time ad men producing low-budget, off-beat commercials.

Photo from Michigan Film Office
On Wednesday, days after the filming in Detroit was completed, the program got a dose of good news: The Michigan Film Office announced that show is eligible for $445,620 in state film incentives based on a projected spending of over $1.2 million with state-based vendors and 89 anticipated cast and crew hires – 74 of whom will be residents, equating to 10 full-time employee positions, a press release said.

The announcement of the incentive comes as some lawmakers are working to eliminate the film incentive program. But the Michigan Film Office told Deadline Detroit that the lawmakers' efforts wouldn't impact film incentives already in the pipeline.

The comedy show has the backing of some big names in comedy.

It's being executive produced, created and written by Sam Richardson, Tim Robinson, Joe Kelly and Zach Kanin, and is executive produced by “Saturday Night Live” creator Lorne Michaels’ Broadway Video and comic/actor Jason Sudeikis.

Comedy Central’s “Detroiters” is the latest of approved incentive projects from the Michigan Film Office.
Recently announced projects include “My Soul to Keep,” “Swish Master,” “Golem,” “The Pickle Recipe” and “Bug Bites," according to the press release.

I think I accidently walked through their set last week, in front of the Detroit Club at Cass and Fort. They were filming a scene where two guys were talking in front of a beater four-door sedan and no one seemed to care that I was waltzing through the area. The reason I think this is the show is because if this were some big Michael Bay production and not some Comedy Central pilot, an army of security goons would have stopped me long before I got anywhere close.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion