Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:59 pm

I think she deserves her own thread, she's earned it.

As a 10-year-old papergirl, Monica Conyers did not like the cold of Detroit but the papers had to be delivered or there would be no money. Monica understood the importance of hard work as she helped her mother make ends meet for a family of seven.

Hard work has been a way of life for Councilwoman Monica Conyers. Married for more than sixteen years to one of America's most powerful U.S. congressmen, John Conyers; the couple are raising their two sons, John III and Carl in Detroit.

Monica's husband, Congressman Conyers, supported his wife's bid for council. The congressman did not mince words when he would ask Detroiters to:"Join the Conyers family as we fight to take back Detroit from those that put self interest above your interests. Detroit deserves better. I respect you enough to say that you must vote for more than a name. Vote for Monica because she has prepared herself to serve Detroit," said congressman Conyers.

The work ethic honed on the streets of Detroit as a papergirl was the foundation as Councilwoman Conyers earned degrees from the University of the District of Columbia School of Law (Juris Doctor), Central Michigan University (Masters Public Administration) and Bennett College (BA Secondary Education/ Political Science) and served as a Lyndon B. Johnson intern in the nation's capitol.

Monica Conyers worked for sixteen years as a teacher and administrator, managing staff and budgets with the DPS and she has served as co-chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus Spouses Association and sits on the Board of Directors of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation.

The hard work paid off as Monica Conyers shocked political experts when she garnered enough votes to elevate Councilwoman Conyers to the position of Detroit City Council President Pro Tempore as her vote total even exceeded that of Mayoral candidates Kilpatrick and Hendrix.

When asked what she would do to balance the city budget, Council President Pro Tem Conyers said, "I would not vote for a budget that exceeds realistic revenue projections. You can't spend what you don't have. Deliver for the people of Detroit or hit the door."

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/legislative ... ontent.htm

In a surprising move Monday, Detroit City Council members, with Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick sitting before them, figuratively slapped him in the face by refusing to allow him to deliver his 2008-09 budget proposal.

"It is the feeling of the majority of the council that we will not address your budget at this time," Council President Kenneth Cockrel, Jr., said. He quickly called for a voice vote, and the council refused to listen to the embattled mayor.

Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers was the only one to shout "No!"

Conyers, who got into a shouting match Friday with Kenneth Cockrel, said Monday that Cockrel is "being a bully."

"He is putting himself above everyone else," said Conyers, who called Cockrel "Shrek" during Friday's verbal donnybrook.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /804140413
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Mulligan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I was able to zoom in on her notepad. I think this was a transportation-related meeting:

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:54 pm

I don't think she has a chance _ too much of a crackpot to raise enough serious money _ but in a way, Detroit deserves this ridiculous woman as its next mayor.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Mulligan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 am

The work ethic honed on the streets of Detroit as a papergirl was the foundation as Councilwoman Conyers earned degrees from the University of the District of Columbia School of Law (Juris Doctor)

I know there are a couple lawyers on this board who lived in D.C. How does the University of the District of Columbia School of Law rate?

Is she a member of the State Bar of Michigan?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan

Postby caseyc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:04 am

I haven't looked in a while, but I seem to recall that law school having accreditation problems back in the murky past....

she is NOT a member of MI bar. at least in the April 07 bar journal.
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Postby davecat » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:07 am

It's second tier, according to this crappy-looking website:

http://www.lawschool100.com/
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby Mulligan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am

caseyc wrote:she is NOT a member of MI bar. at least in the April 07 bar journal.

Is she considered a lawyer if she just has the degree?
Mulligan

Postby Detroit Riseling » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:34 pm

davecat wrote:
It's second tier, according to this crappy-looking website:

Second tier isn't necessarily all that bad, it includes U of D Mercy and State locally as well as many other schools that I wouldn't be embarrassed to have matriculated from, (well, okay, I can't exactly see being proud of a Spartan pedigree no matter how high the program is rated), but this description makes it sound like second tier is a stretch.
Entire educational experience is geared towards bar passage.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?f=4&t=28

So if her entire education was geared towards passing the bar, why isn't she a member? Either she never took it or she flunked it.

Wikipedia describes it as an historically black college while this description
The University also offers courses designed to upgrade the skills of District of Columbia residents who already have a job or who wish to become more competitive to qualify for other jobs. http://www.gradprofiles.com/u-dist-colum-law.html
makes it sound almost like a community college.

BTW, according to the website linked by Davecat, WSU has a first tier law college. As an alum of another WSU college, actually right next door to the law school, that's also highly ranked nationally (Thump! Thump! ow!) that's good to read.
Detroit Riseling
Hot Fudge Hipoisie

Postby David Hall » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm

BTW, according to the website linked by Davecat, WSU has a first tier law college. As an alum of another WSU college, actually right next door to the law school, that's also highly ranked nationally (Thump! Thump! ow!) that's good to read.

You at the nursing school?
Basically, I believe you have to do what you love, learning as a loan wolf, before you can join a pack.
David Hall
Hot Fudge Mortgage Expert

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 am

Whoops, posted this on the wrong thread before:

More Monica screaming like a fool
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Woodwards Friend » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:22 am

merchantgander wrote:
Woodwards Friend wrote:

Sam Riddle sits next to Monica Conyers on TV and basically calls her a disgrace. Go check out Conyers City Council website. Look who she lists as her Chief of Staff:

Council President Pro-Tempore
Monica Conyers
1340 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
2 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 224-4530 (office)
(313) 224- 2011 (fax)

Contact
Chief of Staff, Sam Riddle
email: riddles@cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/legislative ... efault.htm

I think he resigned shortly after the pension board incident.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:36 am

Monica Conyers gets raked over the coals by some schoolchildren.

Great stuff.

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=2198
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Mud Bug » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:27 am

She and Riddle have a strange relationship. He was her chief of staff, then quit, then he became a vocal critic and nemesis. Now he's gathering six graders to pepper her with loaded questions making her look like the child. What's the story between these two?
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Woodwards Friend » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:31 am

Andy wrote:Monica Conyers gets raked over the coals by some schoolchildren.

Great stuff.

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=2198

Who is the douchebag in the white suit at the start of the video? His awkward "This is your Detroit" looked like it was straight out of a Onion video.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby caseyc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:56 am

I would agree the production and "host" in a white suit was an odd, arch and mildly snarky touch...but the video was priceless. Hard to believe she puzzled so long on the first question...as if that's the first time she ever considered whether it was wrong to refer to Council Prez as "shrek."
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Next

Return to General Discussion