Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Random Douchebag » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

guest wrote:
Monica conyers is in custody at a federal prison camp in West Virginia.


Pics?
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
User avatar
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Here, there, everywhere, nowhere.

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Mulligan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:Do you think Monica ever gets any? I mean, not from her gay husband, obviously, but from somewhere? She's not a horrible looking woman, and a lady has needs, after all. I think Heywood once said he would.


She probably gets a lot less since she had her surgery a couple years ago. If The Todd was in that building, he might have said: "I have to go, there's a breast reduction on the fourth floor... I'm gonna go try and stop it."

Image
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5244
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby guest » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Conyers, federal inmate No. 43693-039...


Let me guess, the 039 is her bra size and she'll be assigned to the E Block.
User avatar
guest
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am
Location: the old windmill

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby D-Day » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:Do you think Monica ever gets any? I mean, not from her gay husband, obviously, but from somewhere? She's not a horrible looking woman, and a lady has needs, after all. I think Heywood once said he would.


I don't know...she looks like she's starting to pork out a little bit
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 am

The combative and ever-defiant Monica Conyers has moved forward with her mission to have her guilty plea withdrawn, officially laying out her case for a federal appellate court.

In a motion filed late Monday with the US. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, Conyers' attorney, Douglas Mullkoff, argued that a lower federal court wrongfully denied his client the opportunity -- and repeatedly ignored her requests -- to withdraw her guilty plea in a bribery scandal that landed her in prison.

"… the district court improperly applied the law and used an erroneous legal standard in denying the motion. That error rises to the level of an abuse of discretion. This Court should have no difficulty coming to that conclusion," Mullkoff wrote in his brief.

Conyers' brief explaining the basis of her appeal was due today.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101019/N ... z12nWq8Min
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Mulligan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 am

I like the News' version because it mocks her legal background.

Despite graduating from law school — she bragged about being the only council member with a law degree — and marrying U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, she was inexperienced with the criminal justice system, according to the brief.

"That inexperience coupled with the intense public scrutiny of the matter caused her to momentarily surrender to the pressure to plead," her lawyer Douglas R. Mullkoff wrote in the appeal brief filed Monday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101019/MET ... z12oaqWUCt
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5244
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Monica Conyers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 am

Mulligan wrote:I like the News' version because it mocks her legal background.

Despite graduating from law school — she bragged about being the only council member with a law degree — and marrying U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, she was inexperienced with the criminal justice system, according to the brief.

"That inexperience coupled with the intense public scrutiny of the matter caused her to momentarily surrender to the pressure to plead," her lawyer Douglas R. Mullkoff wrote in the appeal brief filed Monday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101019/MET ... z12oaqWUCt


If you're not praying for me, you're part of the problem.
Please don't take pictures while I'm talking because you give them the ones with my mouth open.
User avatar
Monica Conyers
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Camp Cupcake

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Norm Abrams » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 am

Monica Conyers wrote:
Mulligan wrote:I like the News' version because it mocks her legal background.

Despite graduating from law school — she bragged about being the only council member with a law degree — and marrying U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, she was inexperienced with the criminal justice system, according to the brief.

"That inexperience coupled with the intense public scrutiny of the matter caused her to momentarily surrender to the pressure to plead," her lawyer Douglas R. Mullkoff wrote in the appeal brief filed Monday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101019/MET ... z12oaqWUCt


If you're not praying for me, you're part of the problem.


Monica, we've covered this. I AM praying for you. Are you really that masochistic?
Norm Abrams
Hot Fudge Bearing Ansel's Cross
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Ya Mar » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Mulligan wrote:I like the News' version because it mocks her legal background.

Despite graduating from law school — she bragged about being the only council member with a law degree — and marrying U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, she was inexperienced with the criminal justice system, according to the brief.

"That inexperience coupled with the intense public scrutiny of the matter caused her to momentarily surrender to the pressure to plead," her lawyer Douglas R. Mullkoff wrote in the appeal brief filed Monday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101019/MET ... z12oaqWUCt

Under black letter criminal law there are 4 times when a court will allow a plea to be removed:

(1) The defendant did not enter into it voluntarily - i.e. forced or threatened by officers.
(2) The D. did not understand the charges against him or her - i.e. no lawyer present and no understanding of the factual basis of the alleged crime.
(3) Not properly mirandized and no understanding of the constitutional rights allowed (i.e. right to attorney and trial by jury).
(4) No factual basis for the plea - i.e. enter a plea to grand theft when the crime commited was not grand theft but etty theft.

I just don't see how any of these are even remotely relevant to our lovely ex-councilwoman.
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
User avatar
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:09 am

Some call it Camp Cupcake, but Alderson Federal Prison is no cakewalk, ex-Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers says.

The incarcerated wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers wrote a three-page letter to The Detroit News saying she's keeping her spirits up, prays for the family of former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, loves Detroit and hates prison chow.

"It's over-crowded and they barely have food to feed the people," Conyers wrote in the Jan. 12 letter. "The portions are smaller and no seconds when it's something good. Most of the women are here for drugs!"

The chase
Conyers is now known as federal inmate No. 43693-039 after pleading guilty to accepting $6,000 in bribes for switching her vote on a $1.2 billion sludge contract. But she still signs her correspondence "Councilwoman Monica."

In September, she left her home overlooking the Detroit Golf Club for Alderson, a minimum-security prison in West Virginia overlooking the Alleghany Mountains.

Unlike her former top aide, Sam Riddle, who this month was transferred to the medium-security Butner Federal Correctional Complex in North Carolina to serve time for bribery, Conyers is doing her bit at a minimum-security prison that looks like a prep school.

Dubbed "Camp Cupcake" for its reputation as one of the cushiest correctional facilities, the 1,128-female inmate facility offers washers, dryers and curling irons; access to pedicures and manicures and windows that open. It also lacks what is standard in most lockups — a razor-wire fence.

"It's not a lot to do here. The main place of employment closed down," wrote Conyers. "I keep busy by knitting, crocheting and (beading) going to church. I am continuing my religious studies on my own. Other than that, it's mainly recreation choices because classes are filled."

But life isn't all Scripture and yarn. Conyers wrote that she yearns for Detroit. Her earliest possible release is May 16, 2013.

"As for me and my family, we are well and they visit often. But it is cold now and snowing so I told them to come back when the weather changes. Safety reasons!" Conyers wrote from the prison that it is an eight-hour drive from Detroit.

"Please tell the Detroiters, I miss helping them and I love them. They have sent me numerous letters and books to read, cards also."

Conyers' letter, written in a curlicue cursive, also displays a fondness for punctuation often deployed by adolescents and the text-message set.

"By the way, how was the auto show, did it rain or snow on the people? (SMH) LOL!" wrote Conyers.

The line is an apparent swipe at her foes during the messy fight over Cobo Center who claimed its roof leaks. The acronyms are teen-speak for "shaking my head" and "laughing out loud."

Conyers didn't respond to a letter that asked more probing questions and her attorney, Douglas Mullkoff, denied a request for an interview. But she could be talking soon.

A judge on Wednesday ordered taxpayers to foot the bill for hotel and travel for Mullkoff next week for a deposition in a case involving her time on the pension board.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110311/MET ... /Conyers--‘No-seconds’-at-Camp-Cupcake#ixzz1GHvGQxRD
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks bitch.

City lawyers are proposing a $2.95 million settlement to a downtown strip club that sued on claims the City Council illegally blocked a license transfer after operators were shaken down for a bribe.

The council voted 5-4 in 2006 to turn down the Zoo Bar's license transfer. The vote came amid a crackdown of topless bars, but strip club officials testified in federal court that, before the vote, political consultant Sam Riddle wanted them to pay $25,000 for then-Councilwoman Monica Conyers' vote.

They refused, she voted against the transfer, and Riddle has denied the allegations.

The bar's owners planned to sell to a group of investors affiliated with Deja Vu, a Lansing-based national chain, who wanted to open a Larry Flynt-themed Hustler strip club.

The Zoo Bar's owners already successfully challenged the city's strip club rules, prompting another rewrite. The settlement would end a pending federal suit that alleges the city took the club's Greektown property illegally by denying the transfer.

"It's up to the City Council now," said Brad Shafer, a lawyer for the Zoo Bar. "We are ready to go to trial. If the City Council doesn't want to settle, then that's fine."

The council received the settlement recommendation today but members referred it to a committee without discussion. The full council may vote on a settlement as soon as Tuesday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110712/MET ... z1Rua7PULv
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Ya Mar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Andy wrote:Thanks bitch.

City lawyers are proposing a $2.95 million settlement to a downtown strip club that sued on claims the City Council illegally blocked a license transfer after operators were shaken down for a bribe.

The council voted 5-4 in 2006 to turn down the Zoo Bar's license transfer. The vote came amid a crackdown of topless bars, but strip club officials testified in federal court that, before the vote, political consultant Sam Riddle wanted them to pay $25,000 for then-Councilwoman Monica Conyers' vote.

They refused, she voted against the transfer, and Riddle has denied the allegations.

The bar's owners planned to sell to a group of investors affiliated with Deja Vu, a Lansing-based national chain, who wanted to open a Larry Flynt-themed Hustler strip club.

The Zoo Bar's owners already successfully challenged the city's strip club rules, prompting another rewrite. The settlement would end a pending federal suit that alleges the city took the club's Greektown property illegally by denying the transfer.

"It's up to the City Council now," said Brad Shafer, a lawyer for the Zoo Bar. "We are ready to go to trial. If the City Council doesn't want to settle, then that's fine."

The council received the settlement recommendation today but members referred it to a committee without discussion. The full council may vote on a settlement as soon as Tuesday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110712/MET ... z1Rua7PULv


I am pretty certain that anybody who had anything not approved in front of council - with Monica voting against - could and will bring a similar lawsuit.
Last edited by Ya Mar on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
User avatar
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Monica Conyers » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
Andy wrote:Thanks bitch.

City lawyers are proposing a $2.95 million settlement to a downtown strip club that sued on claims the City Council illegally blocked a license transfer after operators were shaken down for a bribe.

The council voted 5-4 in 2006 to turn down the Zoo Bar's license transfer. The vote came amid a crackdown of topless bars, but strip club officials testified in federal court that, before the vote, political consultant Sam Riddle wanted them to pay $25,000 for then-Councilwoman Monica Conyers' vote.

They refused, she voted against the transfer, and Riddle has denied the allegations.

The bar's owners planned to sell to a group of investors affiliated with Deja Vu, a Lansing-based national chain, who wanted to open a Larry Flynt-themed Hustler strip club.

The Zoo Bar's owners already successfully challenged the city's strip club rules, prompting another rewrite. The settlement would end a pending federal suit that alleges the city took the club's Greektown property illegally by denying the transfer.

"It's up to the City Council now," said Brad Shafer, a lawyer for the Zoo Bar. "We are ready to go to trial. If the City Council doesn't want to settle, then that's fine."

The council received the settlement recommendation today but members referred it to a committee without discussion. The full council may vote on a settlement as soon as Tuesday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110712/MET ... z1Rua7PULv


I am pretty certain that anybody who had anything not denied in front of council - with Monica voting against - could and will bring a similar lawsuit.


You people are such haters. You should be praying for me.
Please don't take pictures while I'm talking because you give them the ones with my mouth open.
User avatar
Monica Conyers
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Camp Cupcake

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby Random Douchebag » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Monica Conyers wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:
Andy wrote:Thanks bitch.

City lawyers are proposing a $2.95 million settlement to a downtown strip club that sued on claims the City Council illegally blocked a license transfer after operators were shaken down for a bribe.

The council voted 5-4 in 2006 to turn down the Zoo Bar's license transfer. The vote came amid a crackdown of topless bars, but strip club officials testified in federal court that, before the vote, political consultant Sam Riddle wanted them to pay $25,000 for then-Councilwoman Monica Conyers' vote.

They refused, she voted against the transfer, and Riddle has denied the allegations.

The bar's owners planned to sell to a group of investors affiliated with Deja Vu, a Lansing-based national chain, who wanted to open a Larry Flynt-themed Hustler strip club.

The Zoo Bar's owners already successfully challenged the city's strip club rules, prompting another rewrite. The settlement would end a pending federal suit that alleges the city took the club's Greektown property illegally by denying the transfer.

"It's up to the City Council now," said Brad Shafer, a lawyer for the Zoo Bar. "We are ready to go to trial. If the City Council doesn't want to settle, then that's fine."

The council received the settlement recommendation today but members referred it to a committee without discussion. The full council may vote on a settlement as soon as Tuesday.


From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110712/MET ... z1Rua7PULv


I am pretty certain that anybody who had anything not denied in front of council - with Monica voting against - could and will bring a similar lawsuit.


You people are such haters. You should be praying for me.


I am praying for you. But you continue to type anyway. God is slow and inefficient obviously.
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
User avatar
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman
 
Posts: 2883
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Here, there, everywhere, nowhere.

Re: Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

Postby guest » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Last Updated: July 12. 2011 12:52PM .Detroit may pay strip club $2.95M to settle suit
Christine MacDonald/ The Detroit News
Detroit —City lawyers are proposing a $2.95 million settlement to a downtown strip club that sued on claims the City Council illegally blocked a license transfer after operators were shaken down for a bribe.

The council voted 5-4 in 2006 to turn down the Zoo Bar's license transfer. The vote came amid a crackdown of topless bars, but strip club officials testified in federal court that, before the vote, political consultant .

Sam Riddle wanted them to pay $25,000 for then-Councilwoman Monica Conyers' vote. They refused, she voted against the transfer, and Riddle has denied the allegations.

The bar's owners planned to sell to a group of investors affiliated with Deja Vu, a Lansing-based national chain, who wanted to open a Larry Flynt-themed Hustler strip club.

The Zoo Bar's owners already successfully challenged the city's strip club rules, prompting another rewrite. The settlement would end a pending federal suit that alleges the city took the club's Greektown property illegally by denying the transfer.

"It's up to the City Council now," said Brad Shafer, a lawyer for the Zoo Bar. "We are ready to go to trial. If the City Council doesn't want to settle, then that's fine."

The council received the settlement recommendation today but members referred it to a committee without discussion. The full council may vote on a settlement as soon as Tuesday.
User avatar
guest
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am
Location: the old windmill

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron