Endless Schemes, Swindles, and Scams

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Endless Schemes, Swindles, and Scams

Postby vlad the impaler » Sun May 25, 2008 2:29 pm

'Bout time we had a thread documenting the small time crooks, with their petty crimes and ham-handed schemes, slowly tearing away at the fabric of society:

Detroit man caught trying to pass off rolls of pennies as dimes

BRIGHTON --A Detroit man tried to pass off 130 rolls of dimes at a local bank, but there was a problem: almost all of the coins in each roll were pennies.

Now, Michael G. Jackson is looking at an 18-month to 5-year extension of the prison sentence he's already serving for violating parole.

Police say the 45-year-old Jackson went to a Brighton bank on Feb. 27 and tried to cash in what appeared to be $650 worth of dimes. But each roll of 50 coins had just one dime on each end, making it worth 68 cents -- or $88.40 altogether.

The Livingston County Daily Press & Argus of Howell says Jackson was sentenced Thursday on a charge of larceny by false pretenses. His 21 felony convictions include larceny from a person, larceny by false pretenses and retail fraud.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 50321/1361
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Re: Endless Schemes, Swindles, and Scams

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue May 27, 2008 9:22 am

vlad the impaler wrote:'Bout time we had a thread documenting the small time crooks, with their petty crimes and ham-handed schemes, slowly tearing away at the fabric of society:

Detroit man caught trying to pass off rolls of pennies as dimes

BRIGHTON --A Detroit man tried to pass off 130 rolls of dimes at a local bank, but there was a problem: almost all of the coins in each roll were pennies.

Now, Michael G. Jackson is looking at an 18-month to 5-year extension of the prison sentence he's already serving for violating parole.

Police say the 45-year-old Jackson went to a Brighton bank on Feb. 27 and tried to cash in what appeared to be $650 worth of dimes. But each roll of 50 coins had just one dime on each end, making it worth 68 cents -- or $88.40 altogether.

The Livingston County Daily Press & Argus of Howell says Jackson was sentenced Thursday on a charge of larceny by false pretenses. His 21 felony convictions include larceny from a person, larceny by false pretenses and retail fraud.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 50321/1361

This mastermind is on par with the Yooper I heard of who would catch the Mackinac Island ferry in St. Ignace, ride to the island, steal big bags full of empty returnable cans which he'd take back on the ferry. Oh shit.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 pm

The Rev. Jim Holley drew a few chuckles -- and may have raised an eyebrow or two -- at a Board of Police Commissioners meeting Thursday when he complained that he's not receiving special privileges from his parking pass and offered to give it back.

The Insider was there when the pastor of Little Rock Baptist Church complained to new Police Chief Warren Evans that he's still receiving parking tickets citywide, despite the laminated windshield pass that's intended to allow commissioners to park at board meetings. What's more, it did nothing for him at Detroit Metropolitan Airport when he tried to park there, Holley said.

"There should be some respect for commissioners," he said. "It is so humiliating. You are trying to say you are somebody. I don't get no money. I should get the privilege of no parking tickets."

Holley asked Evans to take up the issue with Mayor Dave Bing and instruct parking enforcement folks to stop giving tickets to his car.

Ever the diplomat, Evans said those workers don't report to him and the issue isn't one that requires Bing's attention. But Evans said he'd share Holley's concerns with parking folks.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/detr ... blogid=298
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Andy wrote:
The Rev. Jim Holley drew a few chuckles -- and may have raised an eyebrow or two -- at a Board of Police Commissioners meeting Thursday when he complained that he's not receiving special privileges from his parking pass and offered to give it back.

The Insider was there when the pastor of Little Rock Baptist Church complained to new Police Chief Warren Evans that he's still receiving parking tickets citywide, despite the laminated windshield pass that's intended to allow commissioners to park at board meetings. What's more, it did nothing for him at Detroit Metropolitan Airport when he tried to park there, Holley said.

"There should be some respect for commissioners," he said. "It is so humiliating. You are trying to say you are somebody. I don't get no money. I should get the privilege of no parking tickets."

Holley asked Evans to take up the issue with Mayor Dave Bing and instruct parking enforcement folks to stop giving tickets to his car.

Ever the diplomat, Evans said those workers don't report to him and the issue isn't one that requires Bing's attention. But Evans said he'd share Holley's concerns with parking folks.

Is there something in the city water supply that infuses every person _ elected or otherwise _ that goes into public service with a gross sense of entitlement? What a petty thing to say.

And if you itemize, can't you just deduct parking fees/mileage?
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby guest » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Andy wrote:

Is there something in the city water supply that infuses every person _ elected or otherwise _ that goes into public service with a gross sense of entitlement? What a petty thing to say.

When I was at Wayne there was a guy who would park his beat up piece of shit car, it was a Yugo or something equally prestigious, on Cass south of Palmer and he'd stick a sign in his window, something about official city business, which looked homemade like those God Bless signs but it seemed to work.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby jmy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Andy wrote:

Itemize? He'd have to file taxes first.

Dear IRS:

I am a Reverend and Pastor in Detroit and I am on the Board of Police Commissioner. I ain't got to pay no taxes.

Have a Blessed Day,
Dr. Rev. Mr. Hollis Jr.
Most Blessed High Holy Pastor
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby Shark » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Apparently the Chair and Vice Chair of the commission are men of gawd: Rev. Jim Holley and Rev. Ronald L. Griffin.

Rev. Griffin founded the Jesus Was a Teenager Too (JWATT) Foundation.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Pancho » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:18 am

As I am independently very wealthy as a result of numerous email gifts and all, I am releasing the contents of yet another missive of good fortune. Besides, I receive over a dozen of these daily, and my Scrooge McDuck money bin/swimming pool is already bulging.

Psst. Let's not tell anybody, in case you are not interested.
25th Marine Regiment,
3rd Battalion,
US Marine Corps.
Anbar Province,
Islamic Republic Of Iraq.

Dear Receiver,

With a very desperate need for assistance, I have summoned up courage to
contact you.

I am Sgt. Abner Oke, a US Marine Corps, serving in the 3rd Battalion, 25th
Marine Regiment which Patrols the Anbar province of the Iraq Islamic
Republic.

I stumbled upon your e-mail contact particulars in an address journal
which we have here at our base. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate
the sum of $10,570,000.00 (Ten million, Five Hundred and Seventy Thousand
USD) back to the United States or any safe country, as far as I can be
assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here
in Iraq.

These are no stolen money and there are no dangers of any kind involved.

SOURCE OF MONEY:
Monies in various currencies was discovered concealed in large wooden
barrels with piles of weapons and ammunitions at a location near one of
Late Iraqi dictator, President Saddam Hussein's old palaces during a
routine rescue operation and it was agreed by all parties present that the
money be shared amongst us. This act may sound quite an illegal thing to
have done, but I tell you what, no compensation can make up for the risks
we have taken with our lives in this hell hole.

The above figure was given to me as my share and to conceal this kind of
money has become a problem for me, however with the help of a German
contact working here and the immunity his office enjoys, I was able to get
the package out to a safe location entirely out of trouble spot.

The German contact does not know the real contents of the package and
believes that it belongs to an Asian American business mogul who died in
an air aid and before giving up, entrusted me to hand over the package to
his family.

There is a secured way of getting the package out to a safer country for
you to pick up for safe keeping and subsequent disbursement, this I will
discuss with you when I am sure that you are willing to assist me.

One passionate appeal I will make to you is not to discuss this matter
with a third party, should you have reasons to reject this offer, kindly
destroy this letter as any leakage of this information will be too bad for
my excellent service record as a USMC member.

I do not know for how long our troop will remain here but hopefully with
the newly elected president of the United States Of America being sworn
in, we are believing there will be an order for pullout in a couple of
months from now. I have been blessed to have survived 2 suicide bomb
attacks by the special grace of God. These and other reasons I will
mention later, prompted me to reach out for your help.

Kindly find my contact e-mail here as, us_marinecorpssgt@live.com to
enable our communication effective and smooth.

Your response is awaited.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Sgt. Abner Oke.
You better get my loot, thats all I know!
Pancho
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:27 am

This might be a better spot for that:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2183
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Random Douchebag » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 am

BillyBBrew Join Date: Mar 2009

Injury Attorney Recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for an attorney specializing in medical negligence cases? I have a friend who either started out with a broken neck or ended up with one after they went to their chiropractor. The chiropractor never recommended an x-ray or seeking medical advice after my friend kept commenting about not being able to feel his feet or hands. His MD recommended an MRI where they found his #2, 3, and 4 vertebrae shattered. The chiropractor kept putting it off as a "pinched nerve" and was using some kind of pressure tool on his neck. He is very lucky to be alive and not paralyzed, but he is unemployed and has no medical insurance and they are wondering about seeking damages for their medical expenses and 6 months of walking around with a broken neck because he didn't immediately recommend an x-ray or seeing an MD, especially after he complained of no feeling. The initial visit was because of neck/back pain after a fall on the ice where he hit his head. Thanks for any help.

BBB
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:08 am

Random Douchebag wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an attorney specializing in medical negligence cases? I have a friend who either started out with a broken neck or ended up with one after they went to their chiropractor. The chiropractor never recommended an x-ray or seeking medical advice after my friend kept commenting about not being able to feel his feet or hands. His MD recommended an MRI where they found his #2, 3, and 4 vertebrae shattered. The chiropractor kept putting it off as a "pinched nerve" and was using some kind of pressure tool on his neck. He is very lucky to be alive and not paralyzed, but he is unemployed and has no medical insurance and they are wondering about seeking damages for their medical expenses and 6 months of walking around with a broken neck because he didn't immediately recommend an x-ray or seeing an MD, especially after he complained of no feeling. The initial visit was because of neck/back pain after a fall on the ice where he hit his head. Thanks for any help.

BBB

It'd probably sell better if you work that part of the story out beforehand.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Woodwards Friend » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 am

Random Douchebag wrote:

BBB

I don't know how this would be a medical negligence case. If you went to a roofer for help with a medical condition and he gave you bad advice/treatment, you would call that medical negligence would you? Why should anyone expect anything different from a chiropractor.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Woodwards Friend wrote:
Random Douchebag wrote:

BBB

I don't know how this would be a medical negligence case. If you went to a roofer for help with a medical condition and he gave you bad advice/treatment, you would call that medical negligence would you? Why should anyone expect anything different from a chiropractor.

BillyBBrew seems like he voted for term limits....I think I'd like to kick him in the balls
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby ldodger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:02 am

I'm not sure this is the thread where this story should be posted...

At any rate, this has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with greed:

Monday, July 27, 2009
Financial abuse of elderly rises as economy sinks
Advocates say stronger laws needed to protect money, property
Catherine Jun / The Detroit News
Wyandotte -- Two years after Jeanette Cowie moved into an assisted living facility and gave her 30-year-old granddaughter control of her finances, the 78-year-old found her bank account nearly emptied and her rent unpaid for months.

Family members suspect the granddaughter. She was the only one with access to Cowie's money. "We trusted her. We had no reason not to," said Terri Cowie, daughter-in-law to Jeanette Cowie.

Hundreds of seniors across Michigan have similarly fallen victim to financial crimes. The number of suspected cases of financial exploitation of seniors investigated by Adult Protective Services has nearly quadrupled since 2000, totaling 1,316 in 2008, according to the Michigan Department of Human Services.

And as Michigan continues to sink into an economic chasm, senior citizens are a prime target for such abuse, social service workers say. Legal advocates say stronger protections are needed, ones that go even further than the legislative package proposed by state House Democrats last month.

"We need to get up to speed and protect the persons that are the most vulnerable victims that we have," said Tom Wenzell, principal prosecuting attorney for elder abuse in Wayne County. In Cowie's case, the granddaughter stopped answering calls and then moved, family members said. She did not return calls from The Detroit News for comment.

When people hear about financial abuse, many think of phony investment schemes or Internet scams.

But attorneys say just as common are instances of exploitation perpetrated by a loved one or friend.

Those offenses include swiping checks, stealing savings, and even defrauding seniors of their homes.

"When there's financial exploitation, the three usual suspects are -- in this order -- family, caretakers and new best friends," Wenzell said.

In 2003, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy established the county's Elder Abuse Unit to exclusively handle such cases. In 2008, the team prosecuted 133 cases.

Senior citizens, who often are in poor health or suffer from failing memory, are more vulnerable to scams, experts say, and they are the least likely to prosecute.

"There's not only the embarrassment, but there's also the shame that someone in your family did this to you," said Katy Graham, managing attorney at the Elder Law and Advocacy Center in Redford Township.

A shocking discovery
Johnny Watt, 82, added his 61-year-old daughter to his checking account to help pay bills when he found his health failing.

The retired longshoreman said he was shocked to find out she had withdrawn $240,000. When he contacted the police, he was told he would have a tough time making a criminal case since she was authorized to access the account.

"I'm a hard-working man ... and now this happened in my old age," Watt said. "All I want is my money back."

Watt's daughter did not return calls for comment.

Even in a poor economy, seniors usually have steady income -- Social Security and sometimes pension checks.

"Seniors have a set income coming in," said Cynthia Farrell, administrator of adult services at the Department of Human Services.

"Those become prime areas where you look for money."

Seeking justice often is difficult, especially when the senior signed a document agreeing to hand over power of attorney.

That soon could change.

Safeguards proposed
Among a package of bills introduced last month by Rep. Sarah Roberts, D-St. Clair Shores, is a proposal that would require those exercising power of attorney to sign a statement accepting responsibility for transactions that could be deemed unauthorized or criminal.

Another proposes establishing felony charges for obtaining a signature through fraud, deceit, misrepresentation or coercion. The House is expected to vote on the bills sometime this month.

But some observers say those amendments still fall short of what's needed.

"Elder abuse is where domestic violence was 15, 20 years ago," said Wenzell of Wayne County.

He said the law has yet to view elder abuse as a crime, rather than a family dispute.

In recent months, the Cowies have used loans to pay the balance on the rent at the senior home to prevent Jeanette Cowie, who has been diagnosed with dementia, from being evicted.

The granddaughter was removed from bank accounts, and they contacted attorneys, who told them recovering any losses would be difficult.

"The blessing for (Jeanette) is she doesn't really remember it," said Terri Cowie. "I don't think right now she even remembers her money is gone."

http://detnews.com/article/20090727/MET ... nomy-sinks

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby Heywood McCrakin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:09 am

I'm not sure this is the thread where this story should be posted...

At any rate, this has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with greed:

Monday, July 27, 2009
Financial abuse of elderly rises as economy sinks
Advocates say stronger laws needed to protect money, property
Catherine Jun / The Detroit News
Wyandotte -- Two years after Jeanette Cowie moved into an assisted living facility and gave her 30-year-old granddaughter control of her finances, the 78-year-old found her bank account nearly emptied and her rent unpaid for months.

Family members suspect the granddaughter. She was the only one with access to Cowie's money. "We trusted her. We had no reason not to," said Terri Cowie, daughter-in-law to Jeanette Cowie.

Hundreds of seniors across Michigan have similarly fallen victim to financial crimes. The number of suspected cases of financial exploitation of seniors investigated by Adult Protective Services has nearly quadrupled since 2000, totaling 1,316 in 2008, according to the Michigan Department of Human Services.

And as Michigan continues to sink into an economic chasm, senior citizens are a prime target for such abuse, social service workers say. Legal advocates say stronger protections are needed, ones that go even further than the legislative package proposed by state House Democrats last month.

"We need to get up to speed and protect the persons that are the most vulnerable victims that we have," said Tom Wenzell, principal prosecuting attorney for elder abuse in Wayne County. In Cowie's case, the granddaughter stopped answering calls and then moved, family members said. She did not return calls from The Detroit News for comment.

When people hear about financial abuse, many think of phony investment schemes or Internet scams.

But attorneys say just as common are instances of exploitation perpetrated by a loved one or friend.

Those offenses include swiping checks, stealing savings, and even defrauding seniors of their homes.

"When there's financial exploitation, the three usual suspects are -- in this order -- family, caretakers and new best friends," Wenzell said.

In 2003, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy established the county's Elder Abuse Unit to exclusively handle such cases. In 2008, the team prosecuted 133 cases.

Senior citizens, who often are in poor health or suffer from failing memory, are more vulnerable to scams, experts say, and they are the least likely to prosecute.

"There's not only the embarrassment, but there's also the shame that someone in your family did this to you," said Katy Graham, managing attorney at the Elder Law and Advocacy Center in Redford Township.

A shocking discovery
Johnny Watt, 82, added his 61-year-old daughter to his checking account to help pay bills when he found his health failing.

The retired longshoreman said he was shocked to find out she had withdrawn $240,000. When he contacted the police, he was told he would have a tough time making a criminal case since she was authorized to access the account.

"I'm a hard-working man ... and now this happened in my old age," Watt said. "All I want is my money back."

Watt's daughter did not return calls for comment.

Even in a poor economy, seniors usually have steady income -- Social Security and sometimes pension checks.

"Seniors have a set income coming in," said Cynthia Farrell, administrator of adult services at the Department of Human Services.

"Those become prime areas where you look for money."

Seeking justice often is difficult, especially when the senior signed a document agreeing to hand over power of attorney.

That soon could change.

Safeguards proposed
Among a package of bills introduced last month by Rep. Sarah Roberts, D-St. Clair Shores, is a proposal that would require those exercising power of attorney to sign a statement accepting responsibility for transactions that could be deemed unauthorized or criminal.

Another proposes establishing felony charges for obtaining a signature through fraud, deceit, misrepresentation or coercion. The House is expected to vote on the bills sometime this month.

But some observers say those amendments still fall short of what's needed.

"Elder abuse is where domestic violence was 15, 20 years ago," said Wenzell of Wayne County.

He said the law has yet to view elder abuse as a crime, rather than a family dispute.

In recent months, the Cowies have used loans to pay the balance on the rent at the senior home to prevent Jeanette Cowie, who has been diagnosed with dementia, from being evicted.

The granddaughter was removed from bank accounts, and they contacted attorneys, who told them recovering any losses would be difficult.

"The blessing for (Jeanette) is she doesn't really remember it," said Terri Cowie. "I don't think right now she even remembers her money is gone."

http://detnews.com/article/20090727/MET ... nomy-sinks

then it is no longer a crime, right?
GO BUCKEYES!

www.the3wows.com
Heywood McCrakin
Hot Fudge Downtown Diva

Next

Return to General Discussion