Detroit Rises!

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Detroit Rises!

Postby gullycanyon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Shark wrote:
The city’s fire department is so technologically deficient that firefighters rely on a primitive system for receiving emergency alerts, a witness testified during Detroit’s bankruptcy trial Friday.

The alerts come via fax machine. Firefighters put an empty pop can underneath the machine and listen for the sound of the fax knocking over the can, restructuring consultant Charles Moore testified.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z3CSaSwT2C

LeDuff reported that a while back.

Sometimes, "primitive" may be a simple system that just plain works best.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby Ffdfd » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:57 am

gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:
The city’s fire department is so technologically deficient that firefighters rely on a primitive system for receiving emergency alerts, a witness testified during Detroit’s bankruptcy trial Friday.

The alerts come via fax machine. Firefighters put an empty pop can underneath the machine and listen for the sound of the fax knocking over the can, restructuring consultant Charles Moore testified.

We don't have fax machines -- runs come via printers. Every firehouse has rigged a different system to the printer to alert the troops to a run. Natch, the printers don't always work.

But what's amazing to me, as I travel around the city, is that it is common for department phones to be out. Phones! An invention for which Alexander Graham Bell received a patent in 1876! Phones are a backup to the inconsistent printers. I sometimes feel like an unfrozen caveman lawyer.
Overall, the contract seems to have been written by amateurs.
Ffdfd
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby higgs1634 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:26 am

Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

We don't have fax machines -- runs come via printers. Every firehouse has rigged a different system to the printer to alert the troops to a run. Natch, the printers don't always work.

But what's amazing to me, as I travel around the city, is that it is common for department phones to be out. Phones! An invention for which Alexander Graham Bell received a patent in 1876! Phones are a backup to the inconsistent printers. I sometimes feel like an unfrozen caveman lawyer.

So, maybe a stupid question, but why all the Rube Goldberg theatrics? Is there a person on this earth without a cell phone capable of recieving text messages? couldn't a mass text go out to a list of numbers vs, hoping the printer has paper and the can falls over in the right way?
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby meme » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:35 pm

higgs1634 wrote:
Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

So, maybe a stupid question, but why all the Rube Goldberg theatrics? Is there a person on this earth without a cell phone capable of recieving text messages? couldn't a mass text go out to a list of numbers vs, hoping the printer has paper and the can falls over in the right way?

Is this a phone system or a data line?
meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm

meme wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

I'm only guessing, but I would say a secure data line and you can use the terms fax and printer interchangeably; when I worked for TransUnion we had 4 large HP laser printers that were connected to data lines and used to receive faxes. They couldn't send but they were certainly receiving faxes, day and night.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby meme » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:49 pm

meme wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

I'm only guessing, but I would say a secure data line and you can use the terms fax and printer interchangeably; when I worked for TransUnion we had 4 large HP laser printers that were connected to data lines and used to receive faxes. They couldn't send but they were certainly receiving faxes, day and night.

Second question would be are they used for printing anything else? Thing is, why
print out when you could simply trigger an alarm. Phones are easy. Deaf people
get teletype lines with visual alerts.
meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:30 pm

meme wrote:
meme wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

Second question would be are they used for printing anything else? Thing is, why

Security and reliability, in theory, anyway. Phones can be used for other calls, thereby giving a busy signal when someone is using it. Also, if it's a data line straight from the main station or the alarm itself, then there is little chance of someone else intercepting it. I think that if the alarm is sent by a pull panel, it goes directly to the alarm system with no human intervention; the system itself sends the call to the firehouse. If they are sent by a dispatcher (human) I'm not sure how they do it. I would imagine it's punched into the system and sent electronically.
Now, with Detroit's infrastructure, all bets are off.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby meme » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:38 pm

meme wrote:
meme wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

Security and reliability, in theory, anyway. Phones can be used for other calls, thereby giving a busy signal when someone is using it. Also, if it's a data line straight from the main station or the alarm itself, then there is little chance of someone else intercepting it. I think that if the alarm is sent by a pull panel, it goes directly to the alarm system with no human intervention; the system itself sends the call to the firehouse. If they are sent by a dispatcher (human) I'm not sure how they do it. I would imagine it's punched into the system and sent electronically.

That's the thing....with a phone line you don't need a handset. the ring signal would trigger the alarm-just like a pull station. my guess is these are actually phone lines. with a data line it would depend on the data of course. is it used for general printing? is the alarm just a print file? need some way to distinguish it so you could trigger an alarm system. i dunno just thinking out loud i guess
meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:44 pm

My read on this is that it's not so much a problem with communicating the information, but more a failure in the system to notify the receiving party that the information is coming over, hence the Sprite can rigged to fall on the floor. Where is Rube Goldberg when he’s needed? Really, this is something that any junior high geek with a Radio Shack catalog could put together, or, since we’re talking about a budget that’s been looted by DFD supervisors, maybe they could just use parts from a scrapped refrigerator to make a workable alarm.

On a loosely related tangent, I’m in a business where there’s no new technology that the bosses aren’t eager to adopt, and the technology is invariably a problem: if it works at all it just adds another later of unnecessary complication. What really baffles me is the HEAR Radio, the system that medics use to call us, which is usually borderline unintelligible and often is nothing more than crunching static. Meanwhile, any homeless person has a portable phone which is serviceable most anywhere. It probably doesn’t help that the most of the radio calls are unnecessary , we don’t really need to be forewarned about a low speed fender bender with everybody ambulatory on scene or some guy with chronically swollen ankles, and even if it is about someone headed to resuscitation the EMTs never get to the point. It's not uncommon to be a minute into a call and still not know what it's about; please just give us the fucking chief complaint before you start in on what you had for breakfast. I think it’s a failure in their education, prioritization, and lack of common sense and judgement, but that’s for another day.
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby Morty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:43 pm

meme wrote:
meme wrote:
meme wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
Ffdfd wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:
Shark wrote:

That's the thing....with a phone line you don't need a handset. the ring signal would trigger the alarm-just like a pull station. my guess is these are actually phone lines. with a data line it would depend on the data of course. is it used for general printing? is the alarm just a print file? need some way to distinguish it so you could trigger an alarm system. i dunno just thinking out loud i guess

Time to go back to this:

Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 am

Motorcycle stolen minutes after rider is killed in crash

it's not like he's going to need it
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Conscience » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:31 am

guest wrote:
Motorcycle stolen minutes after rider is killed in crash

it's not like he's going to need it

Fox2 had footage of the guy careening into a turning car at 70mph and the bike then skidding sideways down the street. Witnesses said a "cousin" ran out and rode away on the bike while other people claiming to be "family members" philfered through his belongings before police/emt response. The rider is road pizza- bloody parts and peices- and yet in the wink of an eye his shit is recycled back into the 'hood economy. Detroit Rises! indeed.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Shark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Detroit’s Fisher Mansion to be retreat for addicts

Breathe Life spokesman Corey Martin said “there will be no medical care” at the mansion that was built in the 1920s. Instead, a separate facility on Seven Mile near Livernois would treat clients for chemical dependency, nicotine addiction and compulsive overeating. Among other high-end services, the centers treat caffeine addiction and something called “failure to launch,” according to its website.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/2 ... /16450825/
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby James Scott » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am

Shark wrote:
Detroit’s Fisher Mansion to be retreat for addicts

Breathe Life spokesman Corey Martin said “there will be no medical care” at the mansion that was built in the 1920s. Instead, a separate facility on Seven Mile near Livernois would treat clients for chemical dependency, nicotine addiction and compulsive overeating. Among other high-end services, the centers treat caffeine addiction and something called “failure to launch,” according to its website.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/2 ... /16450825/

Sounds like an interesting place. How do you "treat" someone for chemical dependency if there is no medical services?

It sounds more like a halfway house for the dysfunctional.
Hipsters, douchebags and lumberjacks. All can be found in abundance in Midtown and Downtown.
James Scott
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Not in Detroit, but close. Just like hand grenades, tiddlywinks, and horseshoes.

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 pm

James Scott wrote:
Sounds like an interesting place. How do you "treat" someone for chemical dependency if there is no medical services?

It's not a medical problem. I assume that someone is around to hand out their meds, but talking about Jesus and 12 step programs or whatever they do with the rest of their day doesn't require a hospital. When they get sick they come to the ER, and if they show up seeking treatment but are drunk or high they get referred to the ER. We see these people every day.

It sounds more like a halfway house for the dysfunctional.

Can't argue with that assessment. You have no idea how many people in Detroit live in AFC homes.
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion