Detroit Rises!

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Detroit Rises!

Postby gogodetroit313 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Group to open 30 Papa Johns pizza shops in Detroit

A group of local investors says it will open 30 Papa Johns restaurants in Detroit within 5 years, creating 1,000 jobs in the city.

The Alpha Group, a coalition of local business people, will hold a press conference and ceremonial signing this afternoon in Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's office to formally launch the venture.

One Papa John's will be open by June at Cass and Canfield near Wayne State University, the group said in a statement. Three more are scheduled to open by the end of 2007.

A press conference will be held at 3 p.m. in front of the Spirit of Detroit statue outside the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center; come back to www.detnews.com for updates after the event.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 50457/1396

The bullet proof glass makers are salivating.
gogodetroit313
Hot Fudge Regular

Re: Detroit Rises!

Postby The Beav » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:46 pm

gogodetroit313 wrote:
Group to open 30 Papa Johns pizza shops in Detroit

A group of local investors says it will open 30 Papa Johns restaurants in Detroit within 5 years, creating 1,000 jobs in the city.

The Alpha Group, a coalition of local business people, will hold a press conference and ceremonial signing this afternoon in Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's office to formally launch the venture.

One Papa John's will be open by June at Cass and Canfield near Wayne State University, the group said in a statement. Three more are scheduled to open by the end of 2007.

A press conference will be held at 3 p.m. in front of the Spirit of Detroit statue outside the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center; come back to www.detnews.com for updates after the event.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 50457/1396

The bullet proof glass makers are salivating.

So are all the bums and dealers who hang out in front of Mormando's! Finally, a new place to frequent!!
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Dag » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:02 pm

I wish I was making this up:

Username: Jdkeepsmiling
Post Number: 240

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:14 pm:
Here is a great little blurb about some serious investment in the city. This is the kind of thing that will help anchor communities as they stabilize and grow.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 50457/1003
Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers abandoned us what does that tell you about God? - Tyler Durden
Dag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby davecat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:04 pm

Dag wrote:I wish I was making this up:

Here is a great little blurb about some serious investment in the city. This is the kind of thing that will help anchor communities as they stabilize and grow.

So, that's why most of the neighborhoods have gone to shit? A lack of pizza options?
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:09 am

I guess Papa John's won't be delivering to Town Apartments.

Residents of Town Apartments on First and Bagley in Detroit received a three-day notice Thursday to vacate the 13-story, 260-unit complex because of health and safety violations. The order, issued by the city of Detroit Buildings & Safety Engineering Department, cited the lack of heat and hot water, and defective fire doors on the first floor and defective emergency lighting. Matt Allen, spokesman for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, said the order to vacate was prompted by a resident's complaint.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 60346/1006
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby supergay » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:47 am

Andy wrote:I guess Papa John's won't be delivering to Town Apartments.

Residents of Town Apartments on First and Bagley in Detroit received a three-day notice Thursday to vacate the 13-story, 260-unit complex because of health and safety violations. The order, issued by the city of Detroit Buildings & Safety Engineering Department, cited the lack of heat and hot water, and defective fire doors on the first floor and defective emergency lighting. Matt Allen, spokesman for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, said the order to vacate was prompted by a resident's complaint.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 60346/1006

I guess that complaining kind of backfired, didn't it?
SupergayDetroit.blogspot.com
Keeping it real. Mighty real.
supergay
Hot Fudge Very Special Guest

Location: Being fucked up the ass by the lack of options in Detroit.

Postby Larry » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:50 am

davecat wrote:
Dag wrote:I wish I was making this up:

So, that's why most of the neighborhoods have gone to shit? A lack of pizza options?

You are just pissed you can't get Rap Snacks around the corner anymore!
Larry
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:06 am

I guess that complaining kind of backfired, didn't it?

I wonder where D Stylin will be sleeping tonight?
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby gogodetroit313 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:51 pm

Detroit cleanup drive announced

DETROIT -- Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick will announce this morning details of the Sixth Annual Motor City Makeover, a volunteer drive to clean up parts of Detroit during the month of May.

The mayor, who will be at Dingeman Park this morning to kick off this year's effort, will explain how people can volunteer and when specific parts of the city will be targeted for trash removal.

The city will help coordinate volunteer workers and provide clean up supplies and drop off points.

Detroit hopes to get 65,000 volunteers and clean up 6,000 tons of trash.

For more information, contact the city at (313) 224-4415.

That is an easy quota to fill just walk up 3rd then down 2nd between Warren and Cass Tech.

Trash Rises!
"I'm peacing out!"
gogodetroit313
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Detroit cleanup drive announced

DETROIT -- Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick will announce this morning details of the Sixth Annual Motor City Makeover, a volunteer drive to clean up parts of Detroit during the month of May.

The mayor, who will be at Dingeman Park this morning to kick off this year's effort, will explain how people can volunteer and when specific parts of the city will be targeted for trash removal.

The city will help coordinate volunteer workers and provide clean up supplies and drop off points.

Detroit hopes to get 65,000 volunteers and clean up 6,000 tons of trash.

For more information, contact the city at (313) 224-4415.

And how are they going to keep up with the 300,000 (rough estimate of litterers) city residents, plus the countless suburbanites trashing the city on a daily basis?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm

gogodetroit313 wrote:
That is an easy quota to fill just walk up 3rd then down 2nd between Warren and Cass Tech.

The intersection of MLK Jr. Blvd. and Third is remarkable as far as spread out trash is concerned. Truly worth a look.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Megatron » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:15 am

Look around, it's really sinking.

Comerica report: Michigan sole state that did not grow
June 12, 2007

BY ALEJANDRO BODIPO-MEMBA

Michigan’s sluggish economy over the last several years has resulted in a “one-state recession,” the according to a report by Comerica Bank Chief Economist Dana Johnson.

Eight sectors showed cumulative declines in real terms over the past three years. The hardest hit industries were manufacturing, construction and government, which accounted for a combined 80% of the overall decline in growth.

“The 2006 data for Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by state confirm what most of us suspected,” said Johnson in his Michigan Brief report, released Monday night. “Last year, Michigan was the only state that did not grow. Its real GDP contracted 0.5%, while the nation expanded by 3.4%.”
Blaming the restructuring in the domestic auto industry, Johnson’s assessment of Michigan’s economic future appears discouraging.

“The hard truth is that the Michigan economy remains in a one-state recession,” said Johnson.

Johnson’s prescription includes a reinvigoration of that national economy that could help buoy Michigan’s prospects for growth. Next, a constructive settlement with the United Auto workers that allows for the Detroit carmakers to sustained profitability is paramount. Lastly, Johnson said General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group must slow the loss of market share in the light vehicle segment to foreign competitors.

“A lot needs to go right the state economy to bottom out,” he said. “The state is going through a difficult and protracted structural adjustment, not a short-lived cyclical downturn.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/BUSINESS06/70612007/1002
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby e_hemingander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:57 am

Megatron wrote:Look around, it's really sinking.

Comerica report: Michigan sole state that did not grow
June 12, 2007

BY ALEJANDRO BODIPO-MEMBA

Michigan’s sluggish economy over the last several years has resulted in a “one-state recession,” the according to a report by Comerica Bank Chief Economist Dana Johnson.

Eight sectors showed cumulative declines in real terms over the past three years. The hardest hit industries were manufacturing, construction and government, which accounted for a combined 80% of the overall decline in growth.

“The 2006 data for Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by state confirm what most of us suspected,” said Johnson in his Michigan Brief report, released Monday night. “Last year, Michigan was the only state that did not grow. Its real GDP contracted 0.5%, while the nation expanded by 3.4%.”
Blaming the restructuring in the domestic auto industry, Johnson’s assessment of Michigan’s economic future appears discouraging.

“The hard truth is that the Michigan economy remains in a one-state recession,” said Johnson.

Johnson’s prescription includes a reinvigoration of that national economy that could help buoy Michigan’s prospects for growth. Next, a constructive settlement with the United Auto workers that allows for the Detroit carmakers to sustained profitability is paramount. Lastly, Johnson said General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group must slow the loss of market share in the light vehicle segment to foreign competitors.

“A lot needs to go right the state economy to bottom out,” he said. “The state is going through a difficult and protracted structural adjustment, not a short-lived cyclical downturn.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/BUSINESS06/70612007/1002

Um, excuse me. This article is mostly referring to the state, not the city. By 2012 this city will be above the rest of the nation. It's just the rest of this crappy state that's holding us back.
e_hemingander
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mulligan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:23 am

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3948

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:33 am: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
That's great news! A pennant-chasing team is the best thing to happen to the steadily rising downtown Detroit. I remember being so disappointed that we had such a losing and colorless team when the new stadium first opened.

Baseball, which occurs in warm weather, has more spill over effect than anything else. And happy crowds make the party continue.

Now that many from the "lost generation" [those who stopped or never visited downtown] are re-learning downtown Detroit, the long term effect is very promising and will continue to drive business, housing sales and interest in other downtown offerings.

Detroit Rises!

Forget Roger Penske and Dan Gilbert, Jim Leyland will save the city.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Beav » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:32 am

Mulligan wrote:
Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3948

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:33 am: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
That's great news! A pennant-chasing team is the best thing to happen to the steadily rising downtown Detroit. I remember being so disappointed that we had such a losing and colorless team when the new stadium first opened.

Baseball, which occurs in warm weather, has more spill over effect than anything else. And happy crowds make the party continue.

Now that many from the "lost generation" [those who stopped or never visited downtown] are re-learning downtown Detroit, the long term effect is very promising and will continue to drive business, housing sales and interest in other downtown offerings.

Detroit Rises!

Forget Roger Penske and Dan Gilbert, Jim Leyland will save the city.

No, no. That just means Lowell is turning it over to Ilitch again.

By the way Lowell, after using that phrase, Gertrude Stein is doing flips in her grave while Hemingway's family is now sand-blasting those words off of his headstone. Nice going.

What a fucking self-righteous, egotistical douchebag.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Next

Return to General Discussion