Detroit Rises!

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Detroit Rises!

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Tom Gores owns the Detroit Pistons, but the Los Angeles mogul and chairman of Platinum Equity LLC doesn’t appear to be much for playing games.

Rarely does a big-league owner use a press conference before the home opener to confirm a deal is “close” to uproot his team from its suburban home in The Palace of Auburn Hills and return to its downtown roots, perhaps by as early as next season. But Gores did exactly that Friday.

He says talks with the Ilitch family over the Pistons sharing playing time in the new Red Wings arena, a cornerstone of their District Detroit development north of I-75 and west of Woodward, are “very close in crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s. We’re serious about making this move.”

And just like that, the quarter-century-plus exodus of Detroit’s major league sports teams to Oakland County is poised to be fully reversed. That’s less a commentary on the suburbs than it is affirmation by some of this region’s savviest business people that the reinvention of Detroit is real, is gaining traction and is offering a worthy home for their franchises.

Let that sink in. Just three years ago, Detroit was the largest city in American history to file Chapter 9 bankruptcy, and its highly touted mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, was sentenced to 28 years in prison for public corruption. Just eight years ago, its iconic automaker, General Motors Corp., and smaller rival Chrysler Group LLC teetered on the edge of collapse.

This town was, as an influential business leader described it to me Monday, the nation’s doormat. It was a laughingstock vilified by Wall Street and members of Congress in both parties; its defining auto industry’s operating methods defied generally accepted business principles; it represented the failure of 50 years of governance by the Democratic Party and its allies in organized labor.

It was a city criticized as much by its own people as it was the worldwide diaspora of Detroiters nursing grudges. Detroit was, as the New York Times said just last month in a piece wondering why “politicians are so obsessed with manufacturing,” the “nation’s official postindustrial wasteland.”

Not quite.

Detroit’s automakers are making more money in their home market than anytime since the 1960s. GM and Ford Motor Co. are emerging as players in mobility, self-driving vehicles, ride-sharing and electric vehicles that, in GM’s case, can go more than 230 miles on a single charge. The city is drawing private investment and public acclaim, even as City Hall steadily improves delivery of basic services and police protection.

A Pistons deal with the Ilitch family should add financial heft and additional allure to their District Detroit development, making downtown truly a year-round sports destination. That should provide incremental revenue for restaurants and bars, hotels and retail popping along the Lower Woodward corridor and nearby enclaves.

It would join the pile of investments stretching well into the billions, underscoring Detroit’s rep as one of America’s great sports towns — and one of the hottest redevelopment stories in the country. Between just the Ilitch family’s District Detroit and mortgage impresario Dan Gilbert’s downtown real estate empire, roughly $5 billion is being invested in downtown redevelopment.

That doesn’t include new restaurants and bars, condo rehabs and new residential construction, corporate relocations and satellite offices, reinvigorated cultural leadership and comparatively large commitments by philanthropies with names like Kresge and Ford, Davidson and Hudson-Webber, Knight and Kellogg.

With apologies to Mark Twain, reports of Detroit’s death are greatly exaggerated. A Pistons move downtown would be one more piece of evidence that the city’s post-meltdown reinvention is being powered by private capital looking for a return and looking to make a difference — not simply to commit acts of corporate charity.

The Pistons may not be the last big-league move into downtown. Gores and Gilbert still are pushing plans to acquire the abandoned county jail site from Wayne County and convert it into a cornerstone of their billion-dollar mixed use plan there. It would include a soccer stadium for a Major League Soccer franchise.

Not too long ago any of these developments would be front-page news, touted by City Hall, watched intensely by the business community, tracked by credit-ratings agencies for signs Detroit finally could be breaking from decades of deindustrialization, disinvestment and depopulation.

They still are news, and they should not be taken for granted. A mogul like Gores always has options, and that he’s poised to pick Detroit says once again there’s something real going on here.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/columnists/daniel-howes/2016/10/31/howes-pistons-return-detroit-reverse-exodus-suburbs/93092348/

If, as many believe, Gores is moving the Pistons to free up more dates at the Palace for other events (something people at PS&E have wished for for years), then this hardly is an affirmation of downtown's potential. It's just a chance for PS&E to wring more revenue out of an arena complex that basically is a license to print money.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Toolbox » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:13 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Tom Gores owns the Detroit Pistons, but the Los Angeles mogul and chairman of Platinum Equity LLC doesn’t appear to be much for playing games.

Rarely does a big-league owner use a press conference before the home opener to confirm a deal is “close” to uproot his team from its suburban home in The Palace of Auburn Hills and return to its downtown roots, perhaps by as early as next season. But Gores did exactly that Friday.

He says talks with the Ilitch family over the Pistons sharing playing time in the new Red Wings arena, a cornerstone of their District Detroit development north of I-75 and west of Woodward, are “very close in crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s. We’re serious about making this move.”

And just like that, the quarter-century-plus exodus of Detroit’s major league sports teams to Oakland County is poised to be fully reversed. That’s less a commentary on the suburbs than it is affirmation by some of this region’s savviest business people that the reinvention of Detroit is real, is gaining traction and is offering a worthy home for their franchises.

Let that sink in. Just three years ago, Detroit was the largest city in American history to file Chapter 9 bankruptcy, and its highly touted mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, was sentenced to 28 years in prison for public corruption. Just eight years ago, its iconic automaker, General Motors Corp., and smaller rival Chrysler Group LLC teetered on the edge of collapse.

This town was, as an influential business leader described it to me Monday, the nation’s doormat. It was a laughingstock vilified by Wall Street and members of Congress in both parties; its defining auto industry’s operating methods defied generally accepted business principles; it represented the failure of 50 years of governance by the Democratic Party and its allies in organized labor.

It was a city criticized as much by its own people as it was the worldwide diaspora of Detroiters nursing grudges. Detroit was, as the New York Times said just last month in a piece wondering why “politicians are so obsessed with manufacturing,” the “nation’s official postindustrial wasteland.”

Not quite.

Detroit’s automakers are making more money in their home market than anytime since the 1960s. GM and Ford Motor Co. are emerging as players in mobility, self-driving vehicles, ride-sharing and electric vehicles that, in GM’s case, can go more than 230 miles on a single charge. The city is drawing private investment and public acclaim, even as City Hall steadily improves delivery of basic services and police protection.

A Pistons deal with the Ilitch family should add financial heft and additional allure to their District Detroit development, making downtown truly a year-round sports destination. That should provide incremental revenue for restaurants and bars, hotels and retail popping along the Lower Woodward corridor and nearby enclaves.

It would join the pile of investments stretching well into the billions, underscoring Detroit’s rep as one of America’s great sports towns — and one of the hottest redevelopment stories in the country. Between just the Ilitch family’s District Detroit and mortgage impresario Dan Gilbert’s downtown real estate empire, roughly $5 billion is being invested in downtown redevelopment.

That doesn’t include new restaurants and bars, condo rehabs and new residential construction, corporate relocations and satellite offices, reinvigorated cultural leadership and comparatively large commitments by philanthropies with names like Kresge and Ford, Davidson and Hudson-Webber, Knight and Kellogg.

With apologies to Mark Twain, reports of Detroit’s death are greatly exaggerated. A Pistons move downtown would be one more piece of evidence that the city’s post-meltdown reinvention is being powered by private capital looking for a return and looking to make a difference — not simply to commit acts of corporate charity.

The Pistons may not be the last big-league move into downtown. Gores and Gilbert still are pushing plans to acquire the abandoned county jail site from Wayne County and convert it into a cornerstone of their billion-dollar mixed use plan there. It would include a soccer stadium for a Major League Soccer franchise.

Not too long ago any of these developments would be front-page news, touted by City Hall, watched intensely by the business community, tracked by credit-ratings agencies for signs Detroit finally could be breaking from decades of deindustrialization, disinvestment and depopulation.

They still are news, and they should not be taken for granted. A mogul like Gores always has options, and that he’s poised to pick Detroit says once again there’s something real going on here.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/columnists/daniel-howes/2016/10/31/howes-pistons-return-detroit-reverse-exodus-suburbs/93092348/

If, as many believe, Gores is moving the Pistons to free up more dates at the Palace for other events (something people at PS&E have wished for for years), then this hardly is an affirmation of downtown's potential. It's just a chance for PS&E to wring more revenue out of an arena complex that basically is a license to print money.

And he does not need to go the route of facing a ton of scrutiny in having the public pay for another venue by partnering with the pizza guy.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:27 am

^ & ^^

The thought is that by pulling out an NBA team the Palace/venue can become even more profitable? Seems like a lot dates that would need to be filled by touring acts, many more than my uniformed opinion believes are already on the road or who would be willing to come to Detroit now that an arena has a pile of new vacant dates.

The most encouraging word that I've heard about the Palace post-Piston's is that the location and land could be quickly sold to developers interested in more office or industrial space. This posiiton seems at least a little far-fetched, but "they" are saying that space in Auburn Hills is at record occupancy rates and as I look around even the little dirtbag commercial properties have been filling up. So maybe an engineering facility where they're playing bassitball today.

Meanwhile the Silverdome no longer has a dome and Pontiac is making Flint look kinda spiffy by comparison.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:^ & ^^

The thought is that by pulling out an NBA team the Palace/venue can become even more profitable? Seems like a lot dates that would need to be filled by touring acts, many more than my uniformed opinion believes are already on the road or who would be willing to come to Detroit now that an arena has a pile of new vacant dates.

The most encouraging word that I've heard about the Palace post-Piston's is that the location and land could be quickly sold to developers interested in more office or industrial space. This posiiton seems at least a little far-fetched, but "they" are saying that space in Auburn Hills is at record occupancy rates and as I look around even the little dirtbag commercial properties have been filling up. So maybe an engineering facility where they're playing bassitball today.

Meanwhile the Silverdome no longer has a dome and Pontiac is making Flint look kinda spiffy by comparison.

The city of Auburn Hills would love that, but they really have no control over it unless Gores decides to part with the facility ... which, and I have no MBA or billions in fuck-you money, seems a little far-fetched. The Palace still can book concerts and Sesame Street Live and Amish rake fighting and whatever and still turn a tidy profit. Plus, moving the Pistons to Detroit adds more dates at the pizza arena that concerts can't be staged.

Pontiac, meanwhile, should've begged Oakland County to be a white knight when the Silverdome was up for auction. I'd imagine the county could leverage a new use for the site a lot better than the city of Pontiac, which, like Detroit, is sucking its own dick because a couple of fools renovated an old theater to draw D-list acts on Indian Hill.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby middle aged female » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 am

Has anyone driven down Michigan Ave in Corktown lately? I know they've finished the road work but now they've added new painted lines for parking and I am a little confused. Did they move the bike lanes to the inner curb and now cars park on the traffic side of that instead of cars parking on curb with bike lanes on the outside of the cars?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby guest » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:48 pm

middle aged female wrote:Has anyone driven down Michigan Ave in Corktown lately? I know they've finished the road work but now they've added new painted lines for parking and I am a little confused. Did they move the bike lanes to the inner curb and now cars park on the traffic side of that instead of cars parking on curb with bike lanes on the outside of the cars?

That's the way it works on E Jefferson east of Chalmers now.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:13 pm

guest wrote:
middle aged female wrote:Has anyone driven down Michigan Ave in Corktown lately? I know they've finished the road work but now they've added new painted lines for parking and I am a little confused. Did they move the bike lanes to the inner curb and now cars park on the traffic side of that instead of cars parking on curb with bike lanes on the outside of the cars?

That's the way it works on E Jefferson east of Chalmers now.

middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm

QLINE streetcar vandalized with anti-police acronym

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/qline-streetcar-vandalized-with-anti-police-acronym

A little more of this and it'll be just like Brooklyn! ... circa 1977.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby vlad the impaler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:12 pm

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/qline-streetcar-vandalized-with-anti-police-acronym

Those suckers will be covered in pitchforks and five point stars and every other gang sign by June.

The only reason People Mover cars aren't covered in Detroit Pootie Boyz or Cash Money Killas graffiti is because jumping onto a charged el track involves a real risk of death.
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby guest » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Coalition demands clarity after fatal police shooting

Thank God for the coalition because his family shows no sign of missing him.

There's another story, which I can't find, detailing the events leading up to and following the recent west side shooting. This can all cross to Things You Expect to Hear -

The Bonneville driven by the honor student was stolen in a carjacking two days ago but reporting it stolen was complicated by the owner who failed to transfer the title years ago. And the owner caught a ride and followed him while on the phone to the cops who told him to stop following him. He didn't comply, but eventually lost sight of him.

Another car was reportedly hit, but they fled the scene.

After all was done, the police went to the only occupied home on the street but got no answer. Cross to Nothing Good Happens on Webb Street.

The honor student, aged 19, had an extensive criminal record. Crazy stuff. He walked into a school which he didn't attend, was told to leave, and took a ball from a phys ed teacher and clocked him in the head. He threw a wrench through his family's window. Wonder why they're not lamenting his demise. There was obviously something very wrong with dude, or he just wasn't raised right, probably both, but he was too young o be put away for his previous stupidity. He's away now.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby MICHIGAN » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Sans the proximity to Manhattan.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby Craig » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm

guest wrote:
Coalition demands clarity after fatal police shooting

Thank God for the coalition because his family shows no sign of missing him.

There's another story, which I can't find, detailing the events leading up to and following the recent west side shooting. This can all cross to Things You Expect to Hear -

The Bonneville driven by the honor student was stolen in a carjacking two days ago but reporting it stolen was complicated by the owner who failed to transfer the title years ago. And the owner caught a ride and followed him while on the phone to the cops who told him to stop following him. He didn't comply, but eventually lost sight of him.

Another car was reportedly hit, but they fled the scene.

After all was done, the police went to the only occupied home on the street but got no answer. Cross to Nothing Good Happens on Webb Street.

The honor student, aged 19, had an extensive criminal record. Crazy stuff. He walked into a school which he didn't attend, was told to leave, and took a ball from a phys ed teacher and clocked him in the head. He threw a wrench through his family's window. Wonder why they're not lamenting his demise. There was obviously something very wrong with dude, or he just wasn't raised right, probably both, but he was too young o be put away for his previous stupidity. He's away now.

I missed this story but by the sound of it the shooting was more of a public service than anything else. Is it possible that the unnamed coalition is happy that the deceased is gone and in asking for clarity they just want to know if it was a head-shot or slow bleed-out that cleansed society?
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Previous

Return to General Discussion