HFD Memo of the Day

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD Memo of the Day

Postby middle aged female » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:05 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Your trip has been approved and you will receive a Trip Case notification with your complete itinerary, once the ticket has been issued. No further action is required on your part.

Melbourne here I come! To say that the flight sucks is to make an understatement, but the thrill of flying to other side of the world on the company and then tearing things up... looking forward to it.

Buy some postcards and post them on here. I'd love to go to Melbourne or Sydney!
Have fun and be careful
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Amadeus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:07 am

middle aged female wrote:
Your trip has been approved and you will receive a Trip Case notification with your complete itinerary, once the ticket has been issued. No further action is required on your part.

Melbourne here I come! To say that the flight sucks is to make an understatement, but the thrill of flying to other side of the world on the company and then tearing things up... looking forward to it.

Buy some postcards and post them on here. I'd love to go to Melbourne or Sydney!
Have fun and be careful

And be sure to tell us which way the water drains in your sink and toilet!
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Amadeus wrote:
middle aged female wrote:

Have fun and be careful

And be sure to tell us which way the water drains in your sink and toilet!

Unknown. We went last year and could not find a damn proper toilet. They're all pressure-assisted and so NFW to determine. They do drive on the wrong side of the road and I learned that its impossible to drive without endangering yourself and everyone else. My buddy and I played navigator while the other drove and at all times we were only seconds away from a real dangerous outcome.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Rivers do not flow in a circle

Women stranded overnight on Muskegon River while tubing
Holly Fournier, The Detroit News 10:14 a.m. EDT July 14, 2016

Three women were stranded overnight on the banks of the Muskegon River earlier this week after a first-time tubing trip turned into a 20-plus hour ordeal, according to the Muskegon Township Fire Department.

The trio, all in their 20s and from Muskegon and Muskegon Heights, set out alone at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Deputy Fire Chief Bob Grabinski said. They were rescued by fire officials around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

“They went and bought some tubes and they went to the Maple Island Bridge, which is one of the access points to the river, a popular spot,” Grabinski said Thursday. “They were misinformed: Somebody said (the river) makes a big loop and they’d come right back to their car.”

Grabinski said the women did not know the individual who offered the faulty advice, and no one has come forward to claim credit. The women were unfamiliar with the river and had never gone tubing.

“They thought it was great,” Grabinski said of the alleged circular river. “They believed it.”

The group set out on what was expected to be a quick and easy trip.

“Right about dark they realized that that was not the case and so they got off the river onto the bank, screaming for help,” Grabinski said. “It was an isolated area. Unless somebody else is coming down the river, nobody’s going to hear them.

“I can only imagine how frightened they were,” Grabinski continued. “They had no food, no shelter, and they were in swimsuits.”

They also had no cellphones, Grabinski said. They were rescued by chance more than 20 hours later, about 3 miles downriver from where they launched their tubes.

“Luckily, just before noon (Wednesday) a drift fisherman heard them,” he said. “He had a phone and called 911.”

First responders launched from the Holton-Duck Lake Road ramp about a quarter mile upriver from the women’s makeshift campsite, Grabinski said. They arrived around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

“They were ecstatic that we found them and they were in pretty good spirits,” Grabinski said. “They have several scratches (from trying) to walk through some pricker-type bushes, and lots of bug bites.”

First responders took the women back to their vehicle, Grabinski said. It was determined that their body temperatures were slightly lower than normal and the women were advised to get checked out at a local hospital.

They declined transport by ambulance and officials do not know if they followed up for medical treatment.

Their tubing days are over, according to Grabinski.

“They did say that,” he said. “They said, ‘I will never do this again.’ ”

For those planning on braving area rivers this summer, Grabinski offered several pieces of advice to avoid any impromptu overnight campouts.

“I’d really like people to go with someone who is familiar with the water and where they’re going so they don’t get into this type of situation,” he said. “Bring some food, bring a hat.”

Grabinski also suggested tubers bring cellphones in case of an emergency. Wrap them in plastic bags or purchase an affordable waterproof bag, he said.

“You never know if something’s going to happen,” Grabinski said.

It also is important to bring along more than a few simple snacks. The stranded women had some food at the beginning of their trip, but it was long gone by the time they landed on the bank Tuesday night.

“Although it doesn’t look like a very long distance, you’re traveling slow and you’re going around curves and bends,” he said. “So it’s going to take you longer than you’d really anticipate if you’ve never done this before.”

Perhaps most importantly, Grabinski urged adventurers to detail their plans to friends or family back home.

“(The stranded women) didn’t let anyone know what they were doing,” he said. “There were no reports of people missing that night.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/07/14/women-stranded-muskegon-river-tubing/87074472/

Postby middle aged female » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:24 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Rivers do not flow in a circle
Women stranded overnight on Muskegon River while tubing
Holly Fournier, The Detroit News 10:14 a.m. EDT July 14, 2016

Three women were stranded overnight on the banks of the Muskegon River earlier this week after a first-time tubing trip turned into a 20-plus hour ordeal, according to the Muskegon Township Fire Department.

The trio, all in their 20s and from Muskegon and Muskegon Heights, set out alone at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Deputy Fire Chief Bob Grabinski said. They were rescued by fire officials around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

“They went and bought some tubes and they went to the Maple Island Bridge, which is one of the access points to the river, a popular spot,” Grabinski said Thursday. “They were misinformed: Somebody said (the river) makes a big loop and they’d come right back to their car.”

Grabinski said the women did not know the individual who offered the faulty advice, and no one has come forward to claim credit. The women were unfamiliar with the river and had never gone tubing.

“They thought it was great,” Grabinski said of the alleged circular river. “They believed it.”

The group set out on what was expected to be a quick and easy trip.

“Right about dark they realized that that was not the case and so they got off the river onto the bank, screaming for help,” Grabinski said. “It was an isolated area. Unless somebody else is coming down the river, nobody’s going to hear them.

“I can only imagine how frightened they were,” Grabinski continued. “They had no food, no shelter, and they were in swimsuits.”

They also had no cellphones, Grabinski said. They were rescued by chance more than 20 hours later, about 3 miles downriver from where they launched their tubes.

“Luckily, just before noon (Wednesday) a drift fisherman heard them,” he said. “He had a phone and called 911.”

First responders launched from the Holton-Duck Lake Road ramp about a quarter mile upriver from the women’s makeshift campsite, Grabinski said. They arrived around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

“They were ecstatic that we found them and they were in pretty good spirits,” Grabinski said. “They have several scratches (from trying) to walk through some pricker-type bushes, and lots of bug bites.”

First responders took the women back to their vehicle, Grabinski said. It was determined that their body temperatures were slightly lower than normal and the women were advised to get checked out at a local hospital.

They declined transport by ambulance and officials do not know if they followed up for medical treatment.

Their tubing days are over, according to Grabinski.

“They did say that,” he said. “They said, ‘I will never do this again.’ ”

For those planning on braving area rivers this summer, Grabinski offered several pieces of advice to avoid any impromptu overnight campouts.

“I’d really like people to go with someone who is familiar with the water and where they’re going so they don’t get into this type of situation,” he said. “Bring some food, bring a hat.”

Grabinski also suggested tubers bring cellphones in case of an emergency. Wrap them in plastic bags or purchase an affordable waterproof bag, he said.

“You never know if something’s going to happen,” Grabinski said.

It also is important to bring along more than a few simple snacks. The stranded women had some food at the beginning of their trip, but it was long gone by the time they landed on the bank Tuesday night.

“Although it doesn’t look like a very long distance, you’re traveling slow and you’re going around curves and bends,” he said. “So it’s going to take you longer than you’d really anticipate if you’ve never done this before.”

Perhaps most importantly, Grabinski urged adventurers to detail their plans to friends or family back home.

“(The stranded women) didn’t let anyone know what they were doing,” he said. “There were no reports of people missing that night.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/07/14/women-stranded-muskegon-river-tubing/87074472/
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:02 pm

^ you might be close to the same spot but truly you shall pass this way but once.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:01 pm

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160715/VIDEO/307159918/autonews-now-pokemon-go-pushback?cciid=email-autonews-annow

Per the pansies at AAA it is dangerous to play Pokemon Go behind the wheel because it can result in distracted driving. If you need evidence that AAA has outlived it's usefulness beyond providing expense, lousy insurance well, dangit, this alert is it. No-f*ing-sh*t, playing with your phone while driving is bad? You don't say, mother hen.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:26 pm

Two memos today. ..

1) frank gets half-fired. Not really but they've moved some things around and now I feel exposed in an ugly way. In my world we live budget year to budget year, and so even mighty may fall. This has been a very good run and I'd begun to hope that I might stretch this into being my last job but my confidence is fading. We will be more than ok, but still the stressof a sea change and the prospect of an impending job hunt is a downer

2) I've been Shanghai'd into a golf outing with clients scheduled for this friday. Honestly, I've never even held a golf club outside of Putt-putt. But that's ok says the team lead as Frank (a) can drink and is (b) entertaining to clients when in this state as they will be drinking too. The course is a few miles from home so maybe I'll just plan to walk home.

Postby Roquefort Robert » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:22 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Two memos today. ..

1) frank gets half-fired. Not really but they've moved some things around and now I feel exposed in an ugly way. In my world we live budget year to budget year, and so even mighty may fall. This has been a very good run and I'd begun to hope that I might stretch this into being my last job but my confidence is fading. We will be more than ok, but still the stressof a sea change and the prospect of an impending job hunt is a downer

2) I've been Shanghai'd into a golf outing with clients scheduled for this friday. Honestly, I've never even held a golf club outside of Putt-putt. But that's ok says the team lead as Frank (a) can drink and is (b) entertaining to clients when in this state as they will be drinking too. The course is a few miles from home so maybe I'll just plan to walk home.

I'm guess "The Jewel". I've golf there a few times, drank at the bar a few times more.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:I'm guess "The Jewel". I've golf there a few times, drank at the bar a few times more.

Actually it's Woodfield. The walk won't be awful but it is uphill and in an area largely without sidewalks.

I just pulled up the flier and it turns out that this is a UNCF benefit. The irony here is that I've been writing checks for my own guys: two more started college in July.

Postby MICHIGAN » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 am

1) frank gets half-fired. .... We will be more than ok, but still the stressof a sea change and the prospect of an impending job hunt is a downer

Thank you, JCPenney.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:50 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:

1) frank gets half-fired. .... We will be more than ok, but still the stressof a sea change and the prospect of an impending job hunt is a downer

Thank you, JCPenney.

For shizzle. I wish that I could say that I have the magic touch but for nearly every JCP and Diplomat Pharmacy there's been a Lucent.

Tomorrow, anyway is the big outing. A pal loaned me his old spikes and then his old clubs. Dude lives for golf and offered to take me to a driving range. Heck no, i told him. This is all about drinking. If i can get away with it i won't even take the bag out clubs out of my car.

Postby Toolbox » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:48 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:This is all about drinking. If i can get away with it i won't even take the bag out clubs out of my car.

I see you are already primed for this event.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Today was employee appreciation day. Who knew that there was such a thing?

They celebrated with donuts and "faux mimosas." I didn't even leave my desk for these so I don't know what constituted the faux. Anyway, after the designated time there must have been some left over, hence...

Thank you and Big Company appreciates you!

Please help yourself to the rest of the donuts on the table and the orange juice is in the refrigerator in the lunchroom!

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Remember how in the Sunday comics Mr. Dithers would get good and pissed at Dagwood and then kick him right in the ass? Dagwood would howl and hold onto his rear end as he was launched off of the ground.

Well, the man can no longer do that to you. Far from the stern and grim old days the M.O. in the present era is to twist the workplace into a scene of levity and joy. Hanging out with coworker-pals after five or on the weekend is one thing, but the officially directed stuff is so transparently disingenuous that it, well, makes me want to kick an ass. A favorite of mine was the time that they had a company-wide contest to write and then perform songs about our business and core values. The usual toadies submitted entries and were recorded onto film and tape by professional crews. One entry was written (by me) and circulated only among a trusted few: it was a parody of the old Johnny Cash tune "I've been everywhere," but it was turned into "we've fucked up everywhere" and went on to chronicle a long, long list of huge errors in lieu of all of the places where Johnny Cash drove his truck.

And just when you thought things couldn't get worse this memo arrives:

We have a film crew coming with cameras and costumes next Wednesday, September 28th. If you are interested in participating in any of the roles, please email me the ROLE NUMBER that you would be willing to perform. Please note, if you are currently scheduled to be in a meeting during the filming time, your manager should be able to excuse you from the meeting to participate in the filming.

Some roles have a preferred male/female due to the nature of the role (e.g.: impersonating a member of all boy band Backstreet Boys, etc.) If you do not have a preferred role, please indicate that as well and I’ll place you in the area we need filled

And then there is a list of singing and dancing roles, some in costumes and some without. To wit they are asking for maybe 80 people to participate in some kind of a "fun" music video to be showcased around the company. There is a God, you know why? First, in my present role I'm expected to be a leader and take on one of the more egregious characters, like lead singer or comic foil or something worse. But the presence of divinity comes in here: on the designated date I will be in Melbourne, Australia, talking shit and then getting pie-eyed on local beer after the meeting. Take THAT, sensitive new-age revisionist Mr. Dithers.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion