HFD Kids Do the Darn'dest Things

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD Kids Do the Darn'dest Things

Postby Mud Bug » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:49 am

London girl’s remains cryogenically preserved in Mich

Clinton Township — The remains of a 14-year-old London girl whose dying wish was to be cryogenically preserved with the hope of someday being brought back to life are being kept at the Michigan-based Cryonics Institute.
“It was her wish to be cryopreserved, and her wish was granted,” Andy Zawacki, facility manager at the Cryonics Institute in the Detroit suburb of Clinton Township, said Monday. It is one of three full-service cryonics facilities in the world. The others are in Arizona and Russia.

The unidentified girl’s remains were brought to the facility last month after a British High Court judge granted her wish. She died in mid-October after telling the court she hoped she could be woken after a cure for her cancer is found, even if that’s “in hundreds of years’ time.”

“I don’t want to be buried underground,” the girl wrote. “I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up. I want to have this chance. This is my wish.”
The matter ultimately was resolved in the Family Division of the court because the girl was a minor whose divorced parents did not agree on what should be done with her body. The girl’s father, who initially opposed the procedure that offered no evidence of success, eventually softened his stance as his daughter’s death neared and after she expressed her wishes in a heartfelt letter.

“The idea of freezing whole bodies and bringing them back to life has basically zero scientific support at this point,” said Hank Greely, a professor and director of the Stanford University Center for Law and the Biosciences.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /94258906/

I heard the headlines but wasn't really paying attention until reading she's being stored in Macomb County. Welcome to Michigan! Hopefully someday, when you thaw out, you can enjoy our Great Lakes splendor!

This idea of being frozen until science advances is a fascinating notion. I've read that scientists are only 10 to 20 years out from the ability to hook a corpse up to a machine that pumps it full of warm green goo and stimulates electrical activity in the brain that essentially brings the dead back to life. The big question is the unchartered waters of living with the undead that has bio-ethicists, religious leaders, and zombie hunters concerned. If the soul has departed, what would manifest the earthly vessel? Would people never die, but 'live' a Frankenstein-type existence forever? Would the decision to freeze and unfreeze dead relatives be made by the living, and generations of aunts and uncles, moms and dads, brothers and sisters, etc would get thawed out to join in Thanksgiving dinners before getting put back in their freezers? Big questions that will have to get worked out in the coming decades.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:18 am

Mud Bug wrote:
London girl’s remains cryogenically preserved in Mich

Clinton Township — The remains of a 14-year-old London girl whose dying wish was to be cryogenically preserved with the hope of someday being brought back to life are being kept at the Michigan-based Cryonics Institute.
“It was her wish to be cryopreserved, and her wish was granted,” Andy Zawacki, facility manager at the Cryonics Institute in the Detroit suburb of Clinton Township, said Monday. It is one of three full-service cryonics facilities in the world. The others are in Arizona and Russia.

The unidentified girl’s remains were brought to the facility last month after a British High Court judge granted her wish. She died in mid-October after telling the court she hoped she could be woken after a cure for her cancer is found, even if that’s “in hundreds of years’ time.”

“I don’t want to be buried underground,” the girl wrote. “I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up. I want to have this chance. This is my wish.”
The matter ultimately was resolved in the Family Division of the court because the girl was a minor whose divorced parents did not agree on what should be done with her body. The girl’s father, who initially opposed the procedure that offered no evidence of success, eventually softened his stance as his daughter’s death neared and after she expressed her wishes in a heartfelt letter.

“The idea of freezing whole bodies and bringing them back to life has basically zero scientific support at this point,” said Hank Greely, a professor and director of the Stanford University Center for Law and the Biosciences.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /94258906/

I heard the headlines but wasn't really paying attention until reading she's being stored in Macomb County. Welcome to Michigan! Hopefully someday, when you thaw out, you can enjoy our Great Lakes splendor!

This idea of being frozen until science advances is a fascinating notion. I've read that scientists are only 10 to 20 years out from the ability to hook a corpse up to a machine that pumps it full of warm green goo and stimulates electrical activity in the brain that essentially brings the dead back to life. The big question is the unchartered waters of living with the undead that has bio-ethicists, religious leaders, and zombie hunters concerned. If the soul has departed, what would manifest the earthly vessel? Would people never die, but 'live' a Frankenstein-type existence forever? Would the decision to freeze and unfreeze dead relatives be made by the living, and generations of aunts and uncles, moms and dads, brothers and sisters, etc would get thawed out to join in Thanksgiving dinners before getting put back in their freezers? Big questions that will have to get worked out in the coming decades.

If they manage to reanimate one, it's going to turn the whole concept of "soul" on its head.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:58 am

middle aged female wrote:If they manage to reanimate one, it's going to turn the whole concept of "soul" on its head.

For sure. What comes back or rather what is in the mind of the reanimated might answer a lot of questions re: afterlife, religion, and the definition of humanity. Firstly, can a soul be recalled? And even if there is no soul are soft things like memory and personality imprinted upon the brain, or will the reanimated be like a newborn baby/tabulae rasa? People have died and been brought back, like drowning victims and some on the operating table, but "death" in those cases was a matter of minutes, not hours, days, or years.

Kind of related is something that I read recently (BBC?) about faint sparks of brain activity occuring after pronouncements of death, as in one objectively dies but the brain is slower to stop and so science has shown syptoms of unease and even terror among those who have just died. "Don't shreik and wail when you're sitting bedside vigil and your loved one passes" the article went on, because evidence points to "them" still being in "there" albeit fading and so continue to hold the deceased hands and speak in soothing tones until the last lights of life truly have flickered out. I don't know how compelling is the evidence for this slow fade, but the prospect is terrifying, that is the prospect of knowing that one is dying or even dead.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby guest » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:55 pm

middle aged female wrote:If they manage to reanimate one, it's going to turn the whole concept of "soul" on its head.

You don't have to wait for death to be frozen anymore.

I recently read about this place where they put you in a booth and they chill the crap out of you. It's supposedly therapeutic, but like anything else some people find things to bitch about...

Woman allegedly burned at CryoWorks facility

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /94177524/

Really, I'm going to pay someone to make me really fucking uncomfortable, and maybe cause some permanent damage in the process?

It's not stopping them from continuing to freeze people.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:15 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:

For sure. What comes back or rather what is in the mind of the reanimated might answer a lot of questions re: afterlife, religion, and the definition of humanity. Firstly, can a soul be recalled? And even if there is no soul are soft things like memory and personality imprinted upon the brain, or will the reanimated be like a newborn baby/tabulae rasa? People have died and been brought back, like drowning victims and some on the operating table, but "death" in those cases was a matter of minutes, not hours, days, or years.

Kind of related is something that I read recently (BBC?) about faint sparks of brain activity occuring after pronouncements of death, as in one objectively dies but the brain is slower to stop and so science has shown syptoms of unease and even terror among those who have just died. "Don't shreik and wail when you're sitting bedside vigil and your loved one passes" the article went on, because evidence points to "them" still being in "there" albeit fading and so continue to hold the deceased hands and speak in soothing tones until the last lights of life truly have flickered out. I don't know how compelling is the evidence for this slow fade, but the prospect is terrifying, that is the prospect of knowing that one is dying or even dead.

They say hearing is the last sense to go so it would make sense that freaking out at the bedside would be disconcerting to the dying
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:19 pm

guest wrote:

You don't have to wait for death to be frozen anymore.

I recently read about this place where they put you in a booth and they chill the crap out of you. It's supposedly therapeutic, but like anything else some people find things to bitch about...

Woman allegedly burned at CryoWorks facility

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /94177524/

Really, I'm going to pay someone to make me really fucking uncomfortable, and maybe cause some permanent damage in the process?

It's not stopping them from continuing to freeze people.

I'd like to make a crack about people getting pissed that their McDona'd's coffee is too hot but I'm remember Yamar tearing the ass out of someone over that kind of remark.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F5B3IhXySniQ%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5B3IhXySniQ&docid=hRIwkGtXSbSWYM&tbnid=351N3ee4-V6NpM%3A&vet=1&w=1920&h=1080&bih=960&biw=1920&ved=0ahUKEwjk1crZib3QAhWB54MKHb13D94QMwg0KAgwCA&iact=mrc&uact=8
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Morty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 am

So we sent our son to an arts camp in upstate New York last summer, it was a great experience for him and the surroundings were beautiful. One of the many people he met in his three weeks there was Woody Allen's daughter. They are friends via certain social media platforms, and we are treated to some very amusing reports, and video clips. One degree of separation. So there's that.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby vlad the impaler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Morty wrote:So we sent our son to an arts camp in upstate New York last summer, it was a great experience for him and the surroundings were beautiful. One of the many people he met in his three weeks there was Woody Allen's daughter. They are friends via certain social media platforms, and we are treated to some very amusing reports, and video clips. One degree of separation. So there's that.

Summer camps do make for interesting connections. I never went to one as a kid (too expensive for my family), but I worked at couple back during my college days. Like Camp Tamakwa in Algonquin Park, Ontario, where I guided movie producer Shauna Robertson (also Ed Norton's wife) on a week-long canoe trip when she was 14 and where Sam Raimi handed me a fifth of Crown Royal when he arrived for post-camp. I could prattle off names of fifty famous people who went there, half from Detroit and half from Toronto. The camp's elite status among summer camps makes for an interesting mix of cabin mates: a couple of years ago, a Toronto paper reported that Larry David's daughter, Henry Kissinger's granddaughter, and Robert F. Kennedy's granddaughter were bunk mates. Imagine the conversation around the campfire amongst that trio....
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Morty wrote:So we sent our son to an arts camp in upstate New York last summer, it was a great experience for him and the surroundings were beautiful. One of the many people he met in his three weeks there was Woody Allen's daughter. They are friends via certain social media platforms, and we are treated to some very amusing reports, and video clips. One degree of separation. So there's that.

Your daughter and Soon-Yi were cabin-mates?
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Mud Bug wrote:
WDIV reporter Lauren Podell resigns over alleged racist slur

They say it's not enough that WDIV-Channel 4 reporter Lauren Podell has resigned over a racist slur she uttered off the air, months ago. Protesters want a boycott.

WDIV-Channel 4 news reporter Lauren Podell has resigned from the station following allegations she uttered a racial slur off the air in a conversation with a coworker.

The 31-year-old Podell's departure was confirmed Wednesday by station management, which declined further comment.

The incident was first confirmed in an e-mail sent Monday by WDIV Vice President Marla Drutz to a Detroit minister, who had demanded that the station apologize to Detroiters. On Thursday morning, the Rev. W.J. Rideout led a protest outside WDIV's studios on West Lafayette in downtown Detroit, where about three dozen people joined him and called for boycotting the station, said Rideout, who is pastor of All God’s People Church.

Among those at the protest were political activist Sam Riddle, the former chief of staff to former Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers, both of whom served time in prison after being convicted in a bribery scheme.
Podell did not respond to a voicemail left Thursday on her cell phone. In WDIV's e-mail sent Monday to Rideout, Drutz said she was "very sorry that this happened." She said that the incident took place six months ago, and that “it was investigated swiftly and thoroughly and appropriate action was taken.”

Although Drutz did not mention Podell by name, by Wednesday Podell had resigned, said  Jamie Walters,  WDIV's Creative Services & Programming director. The station had no further comment on Thursday, Walters said in an e-mail. Drutz did not respond to a voicemail request for comment. The station has removed Podell's bio from its website.

Podell, the daughter of longtime WCSX-FM (94.7) radio DJ Doug Podell, is a nine-year veteran of WDIV. She is a graduate of Oakland University  and began her stint at WDIV as its traffic reporter.

Rideout said Podell's alleged use of the N-word came to his attention only a few days ago. That’s when Rideout’s friend, Riddle, posted what Riddle said he'd recently heard "from unimpeachable, multiple sources in the media" that Podell had told a coworker. The posting referred to Podell's alleged use of the N-word in referring to not wanting to cover certain stories.

Drutz implied in her e-mail that the alleged quote was not entirely accurate. She wrote that "a situation did occur more than six months ago, when an unacceptable off-air comment was made by a reporter in front of a coworker, but not as quoted on social media."

Drutz told the Free Press on Tuesday that the incident occurred last March.

"As also mentioned, the original social media post was not an accurate quote and it suggested that our reporter made those specific remarks on-air.  This is untrue. You also asked if any action was taken against her and yes, action was taken," Drutz said. "However, as you can understand, this is a personnel matter."

“In the Trump-orchestrated era that we’re in now, this is a dehumanizing word of torment. That’s why, even though she resigned, we’re still going to protest.”
Riddle said Thursday that he had "posted the approximate language used by a well-known WDIV reporter.”

Rideout gained media coverage over the summer for leading anti-Donald Trump protests. This week, the activist pastor, also known for leading picket lines at fast-food restaurants in support of a higher minimum wage, said he saw a link between Podell’s alleged comments and the attitude of intolerance fostered in this election year.

“In the Trump-orchestrated era that we’re in now, this is a dehumanizing word of torment. That’s why, even though she resigned, we’re still going to protest” on Thursday, Rideout said.
“She is a news reporter and supposed to be concerned about the community. If you’re going to work with black people, Latinos, Jews, what have you, you’re supposed to be able to work without bias,” he said

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainmen ... /94003336/

Looks like the Doc of Rock's kid is done working local television in this town....

This 'incident' (I say 'incident' because every time I walk past Rosa Parks Transit Center I hear the same exact word used fifty times in loud, public conversations but no one seems to lose employment over it) happened six months ago and was dealt with internally, like what happens countless times in the workplace where someone says something stupid or offensive. Sam Riddle must have run out of things to make a big sqwack about.

Maybe Lauren will end up working for her dad at WCSX, spinning Eric Clapton and Aerosmith tunes all day. Funny how Doug occasionally pops up in conversation about the W4 days on the Howard Stern show. The most recent time Howard recalled how Podell hated him from day one, because Howard was getting paid $30,000 a year to start, while Podell, who had been at the station for awhile and was the program manager, was only getting $29,000. Howard also likes to tell the story about the day the Doc of Rock showed up to work only to discover the station had gone country.

Don't forget that she also said fuck on the air a few years ago and didn't get fired.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Morty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Craig wrote:

Your daughter and Soon-Yi were cabin-mates?

Soon-Yi is the mom in this scenario, and she's not not locked in time, She's 46 now. The daughter posted a video of her running a red light the other day.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Putski » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Semi related...Morty will appreciate...

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg ... story.html
Visionary Extrepreneur and Investor
Putski
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Putski wrote:Semi related...Morty will appreciate...

Funny. We'd have do that over here for Ram truck owners.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 am

Morty wrote:

Semi-semi related...when it snows there's no telling where my parking space on the riverside lot is. The front lot is easy enough, put that sign in the middle of the back-up camera and I'm there, but the other space lacks a reference.

So a few months ago somebody left five tall traffic cones in front of my building. I asked the super about them and he said we didn't put them there, and i told him I was going to steal two of them to mark my spot. Last night I tossed a pair of them on top of my car and set them up. They're heavy, about forty pounds of industrial grade plastic in each one, and must have cost somebody something. Eh, they must forget about these things all the time.

In other Car Talk news, the wagon took a crap on the day before New Year's Eve. I'm not fixing it, I bought it used fifteen years ago, and that evening I was driving a brand spanking new 2010 Subaru Forester.

The snow tonight started late, maybe two hours ago, but it came down fast and this was my first test of the 4WD. Works pretty good. Accelerating from a stop it's like snow?, what snow? I didn't get up over 45mph because I figure if you go into a skid the all-wheel feature won't help, but it did plenty good.

I've wanted a 'Ru wagon for a while because you can find them with manual transmissions and they have a reputation as being unbreakable. I'm tired of fixing cars. The four wheel drive thing is just an extra as far as I'm concerned.

I think I'm going to be happy with this thing.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Morty » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:48 pm

guest wrote:
Morty wrote:

Semi-semi related...when it snows there's no telling where my parking space on the riverside lot is. The front lot is easy enough, put that sign in the middle of the back-up camera and I'm there, but the other space lacks a reference.

So a few months ago somebody left five tall traffic cones in front of my building. I asked the super about them and he said we didn't put them there, and i told him I was going to steal two of them to mark my spot. Last night I tossed a pair of them on top of my car and set them up. They're heavy, about forty pounds of industrial grade plastic in each one, and must have cost somebody something. Eh, they must forget about these things all the time.

In other Car Talk news, the wagon took a crap on the day before New Year's Eve. I'm not fixing it, I bought it used fifteen years ago, and that evening I was driving a brand spanking new 2010 Subaru Forester.

The snow tonight started late, maybe two hours ago, but it came down fast and this was my first test of the 4WD. Works pretty good. Accelerating from a stop it's like snow?, what snow? I didn't get up over 45mph because I figure if you go into a skid the all-wheel feature won't help, but it did plenty good.

I've wanted a 'Ru wagon for a while because you can find them with manual transmissions and they have a reputation as being unbreakable. I'm tired of fixing cars. The four wheel drive thing is just an extra as far as I'm concerned.

I think I'm going to be happy with this thing.

a Ru is a fine automobile, and give my friends great service life, little or no issues. That, and they have such a strong appeal to Lesbians that the company ran an ad campaign aimed at that market.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion