HFD Kids Do the Darn'dest Things

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD Kids Do the Darn'dest Things

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Think about your 'hood and general area over ther3 past few days. Lot's of young people out on foot? Of course: it's summer and it's been beautiful. But it's not what you think. Im seeing clouds of kids where otherwise there would be none. Per my children the game Pokemon Go has erupted and has kids out running around with their mobile devices and gettng actual exercise while running from location to location guided by GPS.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby D-Day » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:21 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Think about your 'hood and general area over ther3 past few days. Lot's of young people out on foot? Of course: it's summer and it's been beautiful. But it's not what you think. Im seeing clouds of kids where otherwise there would be none. Per my children the game Pokemon Go has erupted and has kids out running around with their mobile devices and gettng actual exercise while running from location to location guided by GPS.

The Concubine has this on her phone and her and the kids were over today.........and the following statement was heard

MT: Your neighborhood sucks. There's nothing here

Cross post to HFD Overheard
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:06 am

D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Think about your 'hood and general area over ther3 past few days. Lot's of young people out on foot? Of course: it's summer and it's been beautiful. But it's not what you think. Im seeing clouds of kids where otherwise there would be none. Per my children the game Pokemon Go has erupted and has kids out running around with their mobile devices and gettng actual exercise while running from location to location guided by GPS.

The Concubine has this on her phone and her and the kids were over today.........and the following statement was heard

I don't know if this craze is slowing down, but in my area it's felt like an ongoing street festival. Streets and sidewalks where the norm is dead-quiet have individuals and clots of kids out playing the game, hustling from place to place. I like it.

Postby middle aged female » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:03 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:

I don't know if this craze is slowing down, but in my area it's felt like an ongoing street festival. Streets and sidewalks where the norm is dead-quiet have individuals and clots of kids out playing the game, hustling from place to place. I like it.

"Clots of kids" sounds gross
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 am

My wife and I drove out to Owosso last night for dinner and the normally dead downtown of the sleepy burg was hoping with young people holding phones. One week in and the fad isn't fading. Instead the crowds are spreading and sidewalk pavement is now looking crowded.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:12 pm

It's a first for us: dropped off a kid for college. He's only an hour away so I'm like meh, but the wife is nearly crawling the walls. I'm almost a little hurt because even with some extended biz travel I don't know that she ever missed me like this. Different when it's your baby, I guess.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:52 am

Very nice: junior gets drunk and socks a deputy, and then dad blindsides another with a chokehold. Can you imagine how much fun family events must be with these pigs? By that I mean events like Christmas or little Cheyenne-Dakota-Neveah's fourth birthday party where nine-dollar beer prices do not have a dampening effect on consumption.

Father, son arrested at Hank Williams Jr. concert
Charles E. Ramirez, The Detroit News 8:08 a.m. EDT August 22, 2016
Three may have taken the Hank Williams Jr. song, “All My Rowdy Friends,” a little too far at his concert this weekend.

Officials said police arrested three people Saturday for two separate alleged assaults during a Hank Williams Jr. concert at DTE Energy Music Theatre.

In one case, a man punched a sheriff’s deputy in the face, according to authorities. In another, a man elbowed one of the theater’s female employees in the neck and groped her.

In the first incident, deputies were called to the venue’s pavilion area at about 9:45 p.m. Saturday to deal with a patron who was intoxicated and disorderly, according to officials.

As they approached, the man, 22, of Monroe, became combative and struck a deputy in the face with his fist, authorities said.

When the officers tried to restrain the man, another man, 44, also of Monroe, who police later determined was the first subject’s father, approached a deputy from behind and put him in a chokehold.

Deputies used a stun gun to subdue the younger man and additional officers arrived to help restrain his father, according to a release from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.

Both were arrested and are waiting to be charged. The deputy who was struck was treated for minor injuries.

Elsewhere in the concert theater and a little later, deputies responded to a report that a drunken man had assaulted one of the facility’s employees.

The worker and other patrons told police that the man, 44, of Linden, assaulted a 18-year-old female DTE Energy Theatre worker after she asked to see his ticket. The man pushed the woman and struck her in the throat area with his elbow, according to authorities.

He then grabbed her breast and dragged her around until her co-workers and other patrons pulled him off of her, police said.

Deputies arrested the man and he is also awaiting charges.

Police said the victim was treated by emergency medical technicians at the theater for minor injuries.

Postby middle aged female » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Very nice: junior gets drunk and socks a deputy, and then dad blindsides another with a chokehold. Can you imagine how much fun family events must be with these pigs? By that I mean events like Christmas or little Cheyenne-Dakota-Neveah's fourth birthday party where nine-dollar beer prices do not have a dampening effect on consumption.

Charles E. Ramirez, The Detroit News 8:08 a.m. EDT August 22, 2016
Three may have taken the Hank Williams Jr. song, “All My Rowdy Friends,” a little too far at his concert this weekend.

Officials said police arrested three people Saturday for two separate alleged assaults during a Hank Williams Jr. concert at DTE Energy Music Theatre.

In one case, a man punched a sheriff’s deputy in the face, according to authorities. In another, a man elbowed one of the theater’s female employees in the neck and groped her.

In the first incident, deputies were called to the venue’s pavilion area at about 9:45 p.m. Saturday to deal with a patron who was intoxicated and disorderly, according to officials.

As they approached, the man, 22, of Monroe, became combative and struck a deputy in the face with his fist, authorities said.

When the officers tried to restrain the man, another man, 44, also of Monroe, who police later determined was the first subject’s father, approached a deputy from behind and put him in a chokehold.

Deputies used a stun gun to subdue the younger man and additional officers arrived to help restrain his father, according to a release from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.

Both were arrested and are waiting to be charged. The deputy who was struck was treated for minor injuries.

Elsewhere in the concert theater and a little later, deputies responded to a report that a drunken man had assaulted one of the facility’s employees.

The worker and other patrons told police that the man, 44, of Linden, assaulted a 18-year-old female DTE Energy Theatre worker after she asked to see his ticket. The man pushed the woman and struck her in the throat area with his elbow, according to authorities.

He then grabbed her breast and dragged her around until her co-workers and other patrons pulled him off of her, police said.

Deputies arrested the man and he is also awaiting charges.

Police said the victim was treated by emergency medical technicians at the theater for minor injuries.

Jaysus, that's bad enough, but did you read on to the second assault were the asshole elbowed and 18 yr old in the throat and then dragged her around by her breast??? I think he wins asshole of the week, hands down.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:34 pm

middle aged female wrote:Jaysus, that's bad enough, but did you read on to the second assault were the asshole elbowed and 18 yr old in the throat and then dragged her around by her breast??? I think he wins asshole of the week, hands down.

Another classification of animal, for sure. This is one of those cases where you start rooting for the Freddie Gray treatment less the death. You know, a good old fashioned ass-beating for the sub-human who thought that it was acceptable to treat a young person in the way described.

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Long ago, when rock acts like the Byrds were beginning to cover country music (but before the Eagles made hippie/country mainstream) I went to a country review at the Masonic. Lorretta Lynn was the headliner, they had the guy who wrote Wolverton Mountain, and HW Jr backed by the Cheating Hearts. The Hearts were his Hank Sr's band, but the only original member was the old guy on fiddle. At one point Hank Jr played everybody's instrument; he picked up the bass or sat down to hit the skins while the musician stood by and watched with a if-I-could-kill-you-I-would look. He didn't dare touch the fiddle, though.

Kenny Chesney was here last week and he didn't disappoint. His fans are the tops when it comes to drunken stupidity, although two or three nights ago we received a few from some technofest. Acid and "Molly water" are apparently popular. One chick did a sprint, ass-naked, through the department. She was plenty fast. I was thinking we could've sent her to Rio. She couldn't have embarrassed us more than the people who actually went.
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby Vow of Silence » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:
Kenny Chesney was here last week and he didn't disappoint. His fans are the tops when it comes to drunken stupidity, although two or three nights ago we received a few from some technofest. Acid and "Molly water" are apparently popular. One chick did a sprint, ass-naked, through the department.

"..... .. .......... .... ..........."
Vow of Silence
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 pm

This just in from my wife's buddy with a goofball son: goofball's girlfriend beat the hell out of him. The trigger event was nothing, meaning either she's crazy or on drugs. The guy is a smug little know-it-all so in a way I'm tickled that he got lumped up and didnt have the brains or balls to put a stop to everything after the first haymaker and cat's claw. 25 and he got thrashed. "Call the cops and kick her out (theyre engaged and living together, but he sleeps on the couch)" I said.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:17 pm

My littlest girl worked with me in the garage last night and caught me up on the shit-show that is her middle school. It's either drama or entertainment, depending upon your POV, and all of it involves starring roles for "guest teachers." Guest teachers, btw, are what they called "substitutes" when I was in school. Back then they were often DFD guys earning a few bucks on their days off, or they were jugheads from DPS central casting who flew around the district filling in where needed. But this later-day version seems to be staffed principally with otherwise unemployable dregs.

In the first case, Spanish class, my daughter has had a "long-term guest teacher" because the primary has been out on maternity leave. The sub is youngish hippy sort who teaches very little and pretty much bitches about the establishment and how impoverished for ideas the educational mainstream has become. These are little kids learning how to conjugate simple verbs in Spanish but, per my girl, he continually declares a preference for the Socratic method ("I have no idea what that means") and railing against the shackles that the primary teacher's lesson plan has laid upon his enlightened ass. His last day is Friday, two days from now, and the pace of whining has really picked up. "He's going back to his regular job; what is it?" I asked, and the answer, no shit, is worm-farming. Ha. Worm-farming. He has a worm farm. This explains why he has been so put out: the sixty-bucks a day that he earns for babysitting probably beats the pants off of a good day's take down on the worm farm.

Case two involves poltical intrigue last week. In science class they had another sub for a couple of days while the regular teacher was out ill, and on Wednesday the sub began class by taping up a piece of plain paper over the Trump half of an eduational poster about the presidential election. "I cannot stand to look at HIM all day," she announced and a few kids went apeshit. Well, not apeshit, but a couple of principled young souls objected to the one-sided veiling, there was back and forth that sounds like a grown woman bickering with middle schoolers, and ultimately the assistant principal arrived and called the teacher into the hallway. After a short confab the sub stormed in, packed her shit, declared that she had been subjected to verbally confrontational students (remember, these are young kids, like with lunchboxes and set bedtimes) and stamped out. "I've been assured that she'll never again be a guest teacher in our schools" said the regular teacher when she returned the next day. Note the deep dark blue that they colored my area after last week's election and know that aside from select pockets Republicans cannot get elected dogcatcher up this way. Still, the adult baby was punted out of the classroom.

Postby Mud Bug » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:01 am

WDIV reporter Lauren Podell resigns over alleged racist slur

They say it's not enough that WDIV-Channel 4 reporter Lauren Podell has resigned over a racist slur she uttered off the air, months ago. Protesters want a boycott.

WDIV-Channel 4 news reporter Lauren Podell has resigned from the station following allegations she uttered a racial slur off the air in a conversation with a coworker.

The 31-year-old Podell's departure was confirmed Wednesday by station management, which declined further comment.

The incident was first confirmed in an e-mail sent Monday by WDIV Vice President Marla Drutz to a Detroit minister, who had demanded that the station apologize to Detroiters. On Thursday morning, the Rev. W.J. Rideout led a protest outside WDIV's studios on West Lafayette in downtown Detroit, where about three dozen people joined him and called for boycotting the station, said Rideout, who is pastor of All God’s People Church.

Among those at the protest were political activist Sam Riddle, the former chief of staff to former Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers, both of whom served time in prison after being convicted in a bribery scheme.
Podell did not respond to a voicemail left Thursday on her cell phone. In WDIV's e-mail sent Monday to Rideout, Drutz said she was "very sorry that this happened." She said that the incident took place six months ago, and that “it was investigated swiftly and thoroughly and appropriate action was taken.”

Although Drutz did not mention Podell by name, by Wednesday Podell had resigned, said  Jamie Walters,  WDIV's Creative Services & Programming director. The station had no further comment on Thursday, Walters said in an e-mail. Drutz did not respond to a voicemail request for comment. The station has removed Podell's bio from its website.

Podell, the daughter of longtime WCSX-FM (94.7) radio DJ Doug Podell, is a nine-year veteran of WDIV. She is a graduate of Oakland University  and began her stint at WDIV as its traffic reporter.

Rideout said Podell's alleged use of the N-word came to his attention only a few days ago. That’s when Rideout’s friend, Riddle, posted what Riddle said he'd recently heard "from unimpeachable, multiple sources in the media" that Podell had told a coworker. The posting referred to Podell's alleged use of the N-word in referring to not wanting to cover certain stories.

Drutz implied in her e-mail that the alleged quote was not entirely accurate. She wrote that "a situation did occur more than six months ago, when an unacceptable off-air comment was made by a reporter in front of a coworker, but not as quoted on social media."

Drutz told the Free Press on Tuesday that the incident occurred last March.

"As also mentioned, the original social media post was not an accurate quote and it suggested that our reporter made those specific remarks on-air.  This is untrue. You also asked if any action was taken against her and yes, action was taken," Drutz said. "However, as you can understand, this is a personnel matter."

“In the Trump-orchestrated era that we’re in now, this is a dehumanizing word of torment. That’s why, even though she resigned, we’re still going to protest.”
Riddle said Thursday that he had "posted the approximate language used by a well-known WDIV reporter.”

Rideout gained media coverage over the summer for leading anti-Donald Trump protests. This week, the activist pastor, also known for leading picket lines at fast-food restaurants in support of a higher minimum wage, said he saw a link between Podell’s alleged comments and the attitude of intolerance fostered in this election year.

“In the Trump-orchestrated era that we’re in now, this is a dehumanizing word of torment. That’s why, even though she resigned, we’re still going to protest” on Thursday, Rideout said.
“She is a news reporter and supposed to be concerned about the community. If you’re going to work with black people, Latinos, Jews, what have you, you’re supposed to be able to work without bias,” he said

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainmen ... /94003336/

Looks like the Doc of Rock's kid is done working local television in this town....

This 'incident' (I say 'incident' because every time I walk past Rosa Parks Transit Center I hear the same exact word used fifty times in loud, public conversations but no one seems to lose employment over it) happened six months ago and was dealt with internally, like what happens countless times in the workplace where someone says something stupid or offensive. Sam Riddle must have run out of things to make a big sqwack about.

Maybe Lauren will end up working for her dad at WCSX, spinning Eric Clapton and Aerosmith tunes all day. Funny how Doug occasionally pops up in conversation about the W4 days on the Howard Stern show. The most recent time Howard recalled how Podell hated him from day one, because Howard was getting paid $30,000 a year to start, while Podell, who had been at the station for awhile and was the program manager, was only getting $29,000. Howard also likes to tell the story about the day the Doc of Rock showed up to work only to discover the station had gone country.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 am

I've got mixed feelings on this one. Schadefreud-Frank says "ha." This is after all some chick who flounced to the font of the line ahead of legions of Specs Howard grads and made it to the air on the strength of being The Doc's kid. So on behalf of the person who's dream of TV was displaced due to her having been born a somebody I say ha ha ha.

Then again there's the double standard thing going again. Just as the tears and "not my president" horseshit came flying out after the presidential election we are defining one course as anathema while other is perfectly fine without any acknowledgement of the inherent hypocrisy. Seems to me that when society strays from a uniform good for the goose good for the gander state of parsimonious justice and behavioral guidelines we've ensured that things will forever be complicated and fractious and even unfair. Kill the word and be done with it or stop acting horrified when a pale face spins it out in casual conversation. Those are the options unless we want forever to have to juggle double standards and the disruptions that follow.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion