HFD Kids Do the Darn'dest Things

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD Kids Do the Darn'dest Things

Postby Craig » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Morty wrote:
Craig wrote:
Morty wrote:So we sent our son to an arts camp in upstate New York last summer, it was a great experience for him and the surroundings were beautiful. One of the many people he met in his three weeks there was Woody Allen's daughter. They are friends via certain social media platforms, and we are treated to some very amusing reports, and video clips. One degree of separation. So there's that.

Your daughter and Soon-Yi were cabin-mates?

Soon-Yi is the mom in this scenario, and she's not not locked in time, She's 46 now. The daughter posted a video of her running a red light the other day.

Once the daughter, now the wife. However hot she may been or seemed to have been I can only imagine the logical and ethical twists old Woodrow must have gone through to justify his attraction and then acting on it.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm

So I'm in a meeting yesterday, a small and casaual affair, and I unintentionally brought everything to a standstill with one phrase: "...and the miracle that we will use to turn the sow's ear into a silk purse is..." The 30-somethings in the room had no clue what I was saying, so out came the smartphones to hunt down the reference. Holy cow, these kids...

Speaking of which, try saying something like "holy cats" in an obviously ironic sense (trying not to say "holy shit") in meetings with the same crowd and they'll look at you like you're Grandpa from the Waltons. And "Lucky Strike extra".... just don't go there.

"Old" isn't defined by a specific age, rather it is established by the proven irrelevancy of one's go-to idioms in casual conversation.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Mud Bug » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:58 pm

"Old" is also defined by the failure to grasp nuanced meanings used in the argon of today's youth. Example: 20-something to another 20-something: "That chick you met at the bar last night was SICK!" To my generation, such a statement would infer that the woman needs medical treatment. That's not what they mean, though.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Mud Bug wrote:...To my generation, such a statement would infer that the woman needs medical treatment...

We use this -

spoiler alert: it burns (as evidenced by grown men crying)

edit: oh, and try 250mg, not 10g as illustrated
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Another older woman is in hot water for snagging a youngster.

Heywood has been AWOL so I'll weigh in: that's a nice-looking woman!

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2017/03/chelsea-area_mom_accused_of_ha.html#incart_most-read_news_article
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 am

So there's a new "thing" that wasn't around when I was a kid and in the opinion of my kids I'm a lout and a prick and no damn good because I'm not embracing it: out of town trips for high schoolers over spring break. I have two high schoolers and both have been into me about going away. My daughter, 16 went purple and all Susan B. Anthony, crying and shouting and calling me a sexist because I won't let her and a pal (17) drive to Chicago to stay with an aunt and then prowl the city. And my son, 18, is all WTF that I don't want him pairing up with a pal and then driving to Indy to stay in the dorm room of an older buddy who is now an undergrad at Whatsamatta U.

No one else sees the multitude of potential life-altering disasters hovering just at arms' reach? Not these kids, and to a point neither does my wife.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am

Craig wrote:So there's a new "thing" that wasn't around when I was a kid and in the opinion of my kids I'm a lout and a prick and no damn good because I'm not embracing it: out of town trips for high schoolers over spring break. I have two high schoolers and both have been into me about going away. My daughter, 16 went purple and all Susan B. Anthony, crying and shouting and calling me a sexist because I won't let her and a pal (17) drive to Chicago to stay with an aunt and then prowl the city. And my son, 18, is all WTF that I don't want him pairing up with a pal and then driving to Indy to stay in the dorm room of an older buddy who is now an undergrad at Whatsamatta U.

No one else sees the multitude of potential life-altering disasters hovering just at arms' reach? Not these kids, and to a point neither does my wife.

There's a school of thought that letting them do something like this helps prepare them for college when parents will not be hovering nearby to pull them out of scrapes or to make sure they never get into any in the first place. I'd ask a few questions, though, before I let them go off wandering:
How old is Chicago aunt? Is she like 2 yrs or 10 yrs older than pal? Does Aunt live IN the city or burbs? Will she be prowling with them at least part of the time? Could they take the train instead of driving?
Is your boy, who IS 18, going away to college himself next year or will he be living at home with you?
There is something said to letting them fly a little in late in high school. When my older one was in college(18) we let her take the younger one(17) and go to Toronto with a couple "friends" who happened to be boys for 3 days. They drove to Sarnia and took the train so there wasn't a lot of worry about car accidents and in fact there were no incidents that were worth reporting back on. It's kind of gut-grinding when you're going through it but in retrospect I'm glad we trusted them to be adults for a few days. They are both stellar citizens of the world now and one of them even goes to church.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 am

middle aged female wrote:There's a school of thought that letting them do something like this helps prepare them for college when parents will not be hovering nearby to pull them out of scrapes or to make sure they never get into any in the first place. I'd ask a few questions, though, before I let them go off wandering:
How old is Chicago aunt? Is she like 2 yrs or 10 yrs older than pal? Does Aunt live IN the city or burbs? Will she be prowling with them at least part of the time? Could they take the train instead of driving?
Is your boy, who IS 18, going away to college himself next year or will he be living at home with you?
There is something said to letting them fly a little in late in high school. When my older one was in college(18) we let her take the younger one(17) and go to Toronto with a couple "friends" who happened to be boys for 3 days. They drove to Sarnia and took the train so there wasn't a lot of worry about car accidents and in fact there were no incidents that were worth reporting back on. It's kind of gut-grinding when you're going through it but in retrospect I'm glad we trusted them to be adults for a few days. They are both stellar citizens of the world now and one of them even goes to church.

I'm onboard with allowing them to spread their wings and overall they're good and reasonably trustworthy kids...

...when the old man is just around the corner or over the hill & in the shadows. What is terribly spooky is the prospect of these kids encountering people who are genuinely bad. Walk down one wrong street or leave a beverage unattended and then what happens?

Something that pisses me off about the present is the speed with which these and similar requests roll in. Example: a few weeks ago I worked late on the phone with the other side of the country, arrived home wiped out at 8 PM and my son presented a proposal: a pal attending USC offered him frequent-flier points to catch a flight out for a long weekend, with the rub being that he would need to fly out the next afternoon. WTF. Surprise! No, absolutely not. No more ambush proposals where I am asked to countenance something that must be decided RIGHT NOW or else some supposed deal-of-lifetime opportunity passes.

Coda: lest everyone think I'm a complete jerk the deal from the USC pal was to share enough points for half of a ticket. Anyone who flies knows that a one-way ticket is about as expensive as a round-way ride, and one-way from LAX to home was $800 which is a boatload for a high school kid working part time.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Craig wrote:
middle aged female wrote:There's a school of thought that letting them do something like this helps prepare them for college when parents will not be hovering nearby to pull them out of scrapes or to make sure they never get into any in the first place. I'd ask a few questions, though, before I let them go off wandering:

I'm onboard with allowing them to spread their wings and overall they're good and reasonably trustworthy kids...

...when the old man is just around the corner or over the hill & in the shadows. What is terribly spooky is the prospect of these kids encountering people who are genuinely bad. Walk down one wrong street or leave a beverage unattended and then what happens?

Something that pisses me off about the present is the speed with which these and similar requests roll in. Example: a few weeks ago I worked late on the phone with the other side of the country, arrived home wiped out at 8 PM and my son presented a proposal: a pal attending USC offered him frequent-flier points to catch a flight out for a long weekend, with the rub being that he would need to fly out the next afternoon. WTF. Surprise! No, absolutely not. No more ambush proposals where I am asked to countenance something that must be decided RIGHT NOW or else some supposed deal-of-lifetime opportunity passes.

Coda: lest everyone think I'm a complete jerk the deal from the USC pal was to share enough points for half of a ticket. Anyone who flies knows that a one-way ticket is about as expensive as a round-way ride, and one-way from LAX to home was $800 which is a boatload for a high school kid working part time.

The thing is, it's going to be just as scary in a year or two when they go out on their own. I know you have one out of the nest already, but he's more or less protected by Uncle Sam. I'm not advocating letting them run wild, but it's going to happen sooner or later.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Previous

Return to General Discussion