Hot Fudge Gastronomist

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Gastronomist

Postby guest » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:15 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Took Brunette 1.0 to Rose's on Jefferson...

I was thinking about going there so I looked up the menu online. Looks like they raised prices and dropped the BBQ chicken sandwich since my previous visit. From what I've seen, packed counter and tables every time I drive past, they won't suffer much if I skip it.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:00 pm

guest wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:Took Brunette 1.0 to Rose's on Jefferson...

I was thinking about going there so I looked up the menu online. Looks like they raised prices and dropped the BBQ chicken sandwich since my previous visit. From what I've seen, packed counter and tables every time I drive past, they won't suffer much if I skip it.

We got lucky. They told seven or eight people to come back later in the half-hour or so it took us to have breakfast.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby guest » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:55 am

I'm cooking a pork tenderloin and I seasoned it with kosher salt. Am I going to Hell? Wait, Jews don't believe in Hell. I should be good. Asked and answered.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby D-Day » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:49 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:
middle aged female wrote:
ldodger wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:
ldodger wrote:While in Buffalo, last week, betterhalf and I stopped at the Anchor Bar (betterhalf's family is so hardcore about wings, they have them shipped in from the Anchor Bar for Christmas.) I really don't see what the fuss is all about. When the wings arrive at Christmas, I'll eat one to be polite, but I leave the rest for the the family, as it's such a treat.

Any place that sells wings (BW3 included) is subject to the betterhalf taste test. Best in the area is Highland House. Any suggestions for great wings locally?

My New Year's resolution is to make wings as good as or better than the Anchor Bar. Of course, Santa'd better bring me a deep fryer.

Frank's right, no fryer needed. What I do is get a bag of wings, spinkle with pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder, lay some foil down on the broiler, and broil them until crispy (or you can cook them on the grill if it's not too cold for you). When the wings are done, put them in a big bowl with a little red wine vinegar and spin them so it coats the wings. Then add some Franks Red Hot sauce or Sweet baby Rays BBQ (or both for hot-bbq). Serve with bleu cheese dressing. Outstanding wings.

I'm going to try this. Thanks so much.

The way we do it here is similar, but no vinegar. You melt butter and stir in an equal amount of Frank's and toss the broiled wings in that, serve with celery and bleu cheese dressing. You can also bake instead of broil, but it takes longer. I think they lose more grease when baking, but when using the butter/hot sauce mix, it's a wash anyway.

I think I've done that before, too. I don't use the vinegar for taste, just to help the sauce adhere to the wings. I don't know if it works, but it makes me feel better about myself.

The butter/oleo is supposed to make it stick, too, but the vinegar is a hell of a lot less fattening.
This is supposed to be the 'real' recipe (I've heard that Frank's was the original sauce):
Sauce
6 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine - not butter
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
Dash of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
Carrot and celery sticks
Marie's Bleu Cheese Dressing

The Sauce: This makes enough for about 30 "wingettes." Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted. Stir occasionally.

The Wings: Fry the wings in a deep fryer set at 375 degrees F using vegetable or peanut oil. Fry 15 wings at a time for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the wings for a few minutes then put them in a bowl. After all the wings have been fried, pour the sauce over them, cover the bowl, and shake to completely coat the wings.

They can be eaten now, or you can put them on a baking sheet and bake them for a few minutes to get an extra-crispy coating.

Serve with carrot and celery sticks and Marie's Bleu Cheese Dressing and cold beer (Genee Cream Ale is traditional).

Source: Ladies Home Journal - August 1991 - This is supposed to be the REAL Buffalo Wing recipe from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

Made this sauce tonight to go over some wings. I've tried it before but it came out pretty thin and didn't really stick to the wings the last time I made it. Cue the house chef (not Mrs. D-Day, actually D-Day Out of The Can) with the suggestion to take a tablespoon of corn starch and mix with 2 tablespoons of water with a whisk until the corn starch is fully mixed in

Heat the sauce past simmer and stir the corn starch mixture in slowly while whisking the sauce. Let simmer for 15 mins..........Perfecto. As good as you'll get in any wing place
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby guest » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:42 pm

It's official - Vernors is the best tasting ginger ale http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/06/t ... emper.html

cross to I Knew That
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:29 am

There was a wine-tasting event held in the lobby of the Flint Institute of Arts over the weekend. I was passing through for an art movie so I missed the fun. The party was still rocking as the film ended as my wife ducked quick-like into the john for some post-movie relief. Ten seconds later and she's back out, and any guy who's married knows damn well that it's impossible for a woman to take a leak, wash up, touch-up, check her phone, and generally waste time in under five minutes let alone ten seconds, so what gives? Turns out that a wine-taster was blowing her guts out in great grape-infused gouts into one of the sinks. One security guard was clearing the bathroom (hence the unprecedented ten-second turn-around) while another was heard to say "ma'am, you've consumed too much wine and we're going to have to ask you to leave the premises." Sounds like it was a canned speech written by the PR director with the intent of indemnifying the museum while not overtaxing the vocabulary of the Cultural Center security detail.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Roquefort Robert » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:There was a wine-tasting event held in the lobby of the Flint Institute of Arts over the weekend. I was passing through for an art movie so I missed the fun. The party was still rocking as the film ended as my wife ducked quick-like into the john for some post-movie relief. Ten seconds later and she's back out, and any guy who's married knows damn well that it's impossible for a woman to take a leak, wash up, touch-up, check her phone, and generally waste time in under five minutes let alone ten seconds, so what gives? Turns out that a wine-taster was blowing her guts out in great grape-infused gouts into one of the sinks. One security guard was clearing the bathroom (hence the unprecedented ten-second turn-around) while another was heard to say "ma'am, you've consumed too much wine and we're going to have to ask you to leave the premises." Sounds like it was a canned speech written by the PR director with the intent of indemnifying the museum while not overtaxing the vocabulary of the Cultural Center security detail.

There goes my neighborhood. Of course there's a 93% chance it was one of my neighbors.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby D-Day » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:There was a wine-tasting event held in the lobby of the Flint Institute of Arts over the weekend. I was passing through for an art movie so I missed the fun. The party was still rocking as the film ended as my wife ducked quick-like into the john for some post-movie relief. Ten seconds later and she's back out, and any guy who's married knows damn well that it's impossible for a woman to take a leak, wash up, touch-up, check her phone, and generally waste time in under five minutes let alone ten seconds, so what gives? Turns out that a wine-taster was blowing her guts out in great grape-infused gouts into one of the sinks. One security guard was clearing the bathroom (hence the unprecedented ten-second turn-around) while another was heard to say "ma'am, you've consumed too much wine and we're going to have to ask you to leave the premises." Sounds like it was a canned speech written by the PR director with the intent of indemnifying the museum while not overtaxing the vocabulary of the Cultural Center security detail.

There goes my neighborhood. Of course there's a 93% chance it was one of my neighbors.

Cross post to HFD Percentages
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby guest » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Gogo’s
4 star rating 20 reviews
Downtown Detroit
Downtown Detroit
2040 Park Ave, Detroit, MI

cross to Opening & Closing, Shout-Outs, Where Are They Now, etc
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Against my judgement my wife brought home three tiny rabbits in a box. They were huddled under a tree at her work and lest some stray ghetto pit bull get them she brought "the orphans" home. Yes, they're cute as hell but they have fur, eyes are open, and we all know what is really happening here. Still, wife and girls are playing unnecessary protectors. My mother and I spoke briefly about this and, depression baby that she is, she offered that if things dont work out then "grandma's Mennonite cookbook that I gave <my wife> has recipes for rabbit."
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Beav » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:18 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Against my judgement my wife

You could have stopped right there.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:37 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Against my judgement my wife brought home three tiny rabbits in a box. They were huddled under a tree at her work and lest some stray ghetto pit bull get them she brought "the orphans" home. Yes, they're cute as hell but they have fur, eyes are open, and we all know what is really happening here. Still, wife and girls are playing unnecessary protectors. My mother and I spoke briefly about this and, depression baby that she is, she offered that if things dont work out then "grandma's Mennonite cookbook that I gave <my wife> has recipes for rabbit."

D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:32 am

Had a burger at Redamak's last night in New Buffalo. I don't eat a lot of burgers, but this one was as good as any I've had.

A worthwhile stop if you're ever making the drive to Chicago from Detroit.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Potluck last night (early morning). I brought CVS cookies, don't laugh they're good, and lacking a better idea I made peanut butter and blackberry sandwiches (I make my own bread). Used most of a pound of peanut butter to make two big sandwiches and cut them into six pieces. Yeah, people think it's funny but that shit was gone before I made it to the table myself. Took half the cookies home.
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 am

In town for a few days and had dinner last night at Rock City on Woodward. Very good, just as good as it was in Hamtramck.

The Mack Avenue Grille still does a wonderful breakfast, too.
The Suburban Avenger

Previous

Return to General Discussion