Hot Fudge Gastronomist

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Hot Fudge Gastronomist

Postby guest » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:20 pm

I was downtown today and decided to walk over to Neph's (NEE: McNally's). After Histeric got on DY and affirmed that you can, contrary to popular belief, get a glass of ice water there, I decided it was safe. Anything else I learned about the intrigue and politics of the place I'll leave to Gannon to tell you. I started this thread for people to review or criticize restaurants and eateries.

First off, the place was attractive and clean, but being well after lunchtime it was pretty much empty except for maybe one or two other customers and the staff. They had run out of corned beef, and pretty much the reason I had come was for a CB on rye, so I got a roast beef sandwich and, I gotta tell you, it may have been about as good a roast beef sandwich as I ever had.

I was kind of apprehensive at first because the bread looked kind of thick, like that weird Wonder Bread shit they use at Louies, but it was actually real good: full of air and soft but with a real crunchy crust. And the meat was pink and very tender.

Quick too. I had a Metro Times and I talked to one of the principals for a minute or two and and then opened up my paper but I didn't even get to Jack Lessenberry before a hot sandwich arrived. I wondered how they got it out hot like that that fast. The waitperson woman did forget to give me a pickle, but when I asked her about it she apologized and brought a jar. Real good pickles, too. They're the kind that are real tender and full of brine, not the crunchy kind like they served at Wolfie's.

As far as accusations over on DY that the sandwiches are too big, I'd say that it was actually a reasonable size. If anything, mine was smaller than what I've seen at Jewish delis in Oakland County I patronize like The Onion Roll, Dave's or Steve's.

In all, if I worked downtown I'd prob'ly be a frequent customer.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby David Hall » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:25 pm

It really is a great place. Histeric would be wise to admonish Gannon to keep his requests for restaurant feedback off Detroit Yes.
Basically, I believe you have to do what you love, learning as a loan wolf, before you can join a pack.
David Hall
Hot Fudge Mortgage Expert

Postby MICHIGAN » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:37 pm

David Hall wrote:It really is a great place. Histeric would be wise to admonish Gannon to keep his requests for restaurant feedback off Detroit Yes.

Like that'll happen
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby D-Day » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:14 pm

It really is a great place.

It concur....I try and get there every time I'm home. Both D-days II and III swore up and down that Eph's had the best sandwiches they had ever tasted when we were up for the Wings parade. Even the thought of a return trip elicts requests of a return trip to "the deli next to the building we watched the parade from"

Former co-workers at Compuware swear by Eph's, as well.

As far as the accusations that you get too much food......please. DON'T FUCKING EAT IT ALL AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!!! (Moderator--you may cross post to HFD All Caps if you like)

People who use the internet to complain make me laugh. I'm reminded of the people who brought their kid out to Tour de Troit IV(?) and then complained that the pace was to fast for a kid riding a BMX bike....but they had a great time and next time they would appreciate it the pace could be kept lower to accomodate kids!!!!!!

how 'bout you buy the little genetic masterpiece a bike better suited for long distances......better yet, leave the little fucker at home
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 pm

No love for Detroit Coney Island? Used to hate myself walking back from that place ("aren't you ashamed of yourself, Frank? Eating $1 coneys again.").
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Pancho » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:44 pm

DY's acclaimed restaurant critic from the Pacific Northwest--Jjaba--should make surprise visits to various Detroit cafes and such. Perhaps, he might order a discounted day-old bagel and write a detailed critique about it...

[He may require some additional water to wash it down. Being of Russian Jewish heritage, he'll complain about any additional costs.]
Pancho
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Rideron
Username: Rideron

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:55 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loved this place, but today the cook ARGUED with me over my breakfast! She put an obviously-wrong order down in front of me, and when I say "I think this is someone elses's" she grabs an order ticket (not mine) and wavies it in my face, yelling "Thats what the ticket says"

WTF????

Not going back

Did this really need its own thread?
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Kent » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:56 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would never recommend Roma Cafe. I know alot of people like it. I've been 7 or 8 times for lunch and dinner and have never had more than an average experience. I always thought it was dirty, slow, bland, overpriced and to be frank, creepy. All the old waiters is old, dirty, wrinkled tuxes standing around and staring.

Sorry guys.

Ha just found this on their site. See what I mean?

Hear that Fudgers? Roma's is now Quinn-free!
Kent
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Kent wrote:
Quinn

I would never recommend Roma Cafe. I know alot of people like it. I've been 7 or 8 times for lunch and dinner and have never had more than an average experience. I always thought it was dirty, slow, bland, overpriced and to be frank, creepy. All the old waiters is old, dirty, wrinkled tuxes standing around and staring.

Sorry guys.

There's always Mario's, right Quinn?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby A friend of ours » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Kent wrote:
Quinn

Sorry guys.

I doubt that little pindick was ever to Roma 7 or 8 times. Whiny little bitch like that is liable to choke on a ravioli or have some other type of accident.
Concrete, sanitation, trucking. These are legitimate businesses. I'm a legitimate businessman.
A friend of ours
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Chronic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Hmmmm...may I suggest Jack's Waterfront in St. Clair Shores?

Fuck me!
Chronic
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:31 pm

Chronic wrote:Hmmmm...may I suggest Jack's Waterfront in St. Clair Shores?

Fuck me!

I've been to Jack's a few times. It was never good, and the last time it was terrible. I wish I'd seen Chef Ramsey tear into them.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:16 am

guest wrote:

Fuck me!

I've been to Jack's a few times. It was never good, and the last time it was terrible. I wish I'd seen Chef Ramsey tear into them.

It was fuckin' beauty, yes!?!
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby Lafayette Coney Island » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:No love for Detroit Coney Island? Used to hate myself walking back from that place ("aren't you ashamed of yourself, Frank? Eating $1 coneys again.").

Please...
Three on two!
Lafayette Coney Island
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby David Hall » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:41 pm

guest wrote:

Fuck me!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/43139/kitchen ... waterfront

watch the whole thing for free at hulu.com
Basically, I believe you have to do what you love, learning as a loan wolf, before you can join a pack.
David Hall
Hot Fudge Mortgage Expert

Next

Return to General Discussion