Hot Fudge Gastronomist

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Gastronomist

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 am

Quitos. I'd never heard of these and, bluntly, if they were not on sale at Meijer I would not have tried them. As a snack they're so-so: some sort of corn meal crispy thing, from Mexico I believe. But they're hot, bloody hot, and so long as they're cheap they're my new favorite snack.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Roquefort Robert » Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Image

Quitos. I'd never heard of these and, bluntly, if they were not on sale at Meijer I would not have tried them. As a snack they're so-so: some sort of corn meal crispy thing, from Mexico I believe. But they're hot, bloody hot, and so long as they're cheap they're my new favorite snack.

I bought them the last time they were $1 at Meijer. Yep, muy picoso.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:

If that means "as hot as shit" then I agree, or should I say "agree-o." Seventy-nine cents at Meijer, btw.

Postby RoryKasel » Thu May 08, 2014 10:44 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:

If that means "as hot as shit" then I agree, or should I say "agree-o." Seventy-nine cents at Meijer, btw.

If you like heat try this stuff if you haven't already:

Walmart has it in the small Mexican section but not by the rest of the hot sauce, maybe Meijer is the same. 9,000 Scoville Heat Units where Frank's Red Hot is only 450. Hottest shit at the grocery store but I've grown immune to it.
RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 am

RoryKasel wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:

If you like heat try this stuff if you haven't already:

Walmart has it in the small Mexican section but not by the rest of the hot sauce, maybe Meijer is the same. 9,000 Scoville Heat Units where Frank's Red Hot is only 450. Hottest shit at the grocery store but I've grown immune to it.

We have that in the 'fridge at home but it's definitely not a daily-driver for hot-sauce needs.

I garden, not well, but I do and habanero peppers make the list every few years. I'm not a sissy when it comes to heat, but there's something about these and the hot banana peppers that make them almost inedible when taken right from the plant. But I've found that when finely chopped they add nicely to a meatless chilli.

Postby Shark » Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Reporting back from brunch at Marais. Outstanding! I was here for dinner a few weeks back. If you are able, I highly recommend making a reservation.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Sun May 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Bought a 12-pack of Dr Faygo. The Dr Pepper generics are usually OK, sometimes even good and occasionally better than the real thing, but this shit is crap (note that I used two synonyms for excrement to describe it).

cross to Now I Know Why ICP Just Buys Faygo Products to Hose People Down With
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Mulligan » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm

guest wrote:Bought a 12-pack of Dr Faygo. The Dr Pepper generics are usually OK, sometimes even good and occasionally better than the real thing, but this shit is crap (note that I used two synonyms for excrement to describe it).

Try Mr Faygo -- the Mr Pibb knockoff that is a knockoff of Dr Pepper. Much better.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 am

Mulligan wrote:
guest wrote:Bought a 12-pack of Dr Faygo. The Dr Pepper generics are usually OK, sometimes even good and occasionally better than the real thing, but this shit is crap (note that I used two synonyms for excrement to describe it).

Try Mr Faygo -- the Mr Pibb knockoff that is a knockoff of Dr Pepper. Much better.

Or next time your at Wal-Mart, pick up some Dr. Thunder. It is best described as a knock off of animal urine.
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby D-Day » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Yuengling Black and Tan pairs nicely with breakfast of eggs, hash browns, biscuits (made from scratch by me), and sausage links
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby middle aged female » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Probably would pair well with Rice Krispies, too; snap, crackle, burp
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby middle aged female » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Just got done having dinner at Christine's in Ferndale (tiny hole in the wall on 9 Mile and Hilton). Had the BEST crushed lentil soup I have ever had; tangy and redolent of cumin and other middle Eastern spices with just enough heat to make it interesting. Also had delicious Beef Burgundy over noodles; but the soup was the meal. Even bought an extra bowl for tomorrow's dinner.
This is about the 5th time I've eaten there and never have I had a bad or even approaching "iffy" meal; everything there has been great. Their Burrito Bomb IS the bomb.
And the prices are way decent. 10.50 for the Burgundy; vegetarian Bomb is 5 bucks, more if you add meat. They also run a Groupon for $11 for $20 worth of food.
middle aged female

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

middle aged female wrote:Just got done having dinner at Christine's in Ferndale (tiny hole in the wall on 9 Mile and Hilton). Had the BEST crushed lentil soup I have ever had; tangy and redolent of cumin and other middle Eastern spices with just enough heat to make it interesting. Also had delicious Beef Burgundy over noodles; but the soup was the meal. Even bought an extra bowl for tomorrow's dinner.
This is about the 5th time I've eaten there and never have I had a bad or even approaching "iffy" meal; everything there has been great. Their Burrito Bomb IS the bomb.
And the prices are way decent. 10.50 for the Burgundy; vegetarian Bomb is 5 bucks, more if you add meat. They also run a Groupon for $11 for $20 worth of food.

The building I used to work at in Birmingham used to have a small deli on the first floor run by an older (late 60's) couple. Her crushed lentil soup was off the hook! Had never had it before and hers hooked me. I may have to go try it out as most of the places I frequent usually have chicken noodle, lemon rice, and broccoli cheese...
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby middle aged female » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 am

Sterile Whites 48313 wrote:
middle aged female wrote:Just got done having dinner at Christine's in Ferndale (tiny hole in the wall on 9 Mile and Hilton). Had the BEST crushed lentil soup I have ever had; tangy and redolent of cumin and other middle Eastern spices with just enough heat to make it interesting. Also had delicious Beef Burgundy over noodles; but the soup was the meal. Even bought an extra bowl for tomorrow's dinner.

The building I used to work at in Birmingham used to have a small deli on the first floor run by an older (late 60's) couple. Her crushed lentil soup was off the hook! Had never had it before and hers hooked me. I may have to go try it out as most of the places I frequent usually have chicken noodle, lemon rice, and broccoli cheese...

I don't think they have it daily so call ahead. Another place that has a very fine crushed lentil soup is 2booli on Rochester and Big Beaver in that strip mall with Nordstrom Rack. Their pita bread is to die for also, so the two together are a bit of heaven. Good Shawarma too.
middle aged female

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Took Brunette 1.0 to Rose's on Jefferson for breakfast yesterday. We got lucky and got a table right away and it wasn't bad ... $20 for both of us and the food was very good.

The place is like you died and woke up in hipster heaven, but they've got green money, too. An open business is better than a vacant building by the side of the road.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion