Hot Fudge Witnessed

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Witnessed

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Putski wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:Rode down to SW Detroit today for tacos at Mi Pueblo. Along the way, we saw plenty of what looked like CO2 cartridges all over the street.

Or were they something else?

Cross-post to "I don't know much about drugs."

Maybe cross post to not knowing much about cycling either....

Fastest way to inflate after fixing a flat: http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#co2

Nope, the cartridges were too small. I've got one of the fast-fill devices in my pack ... the ones we saw were too small to fill an inner tube.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Fickle Finger » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Putski wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:Rode down to SW Detroit today for tacos at Mi Pueblo. Along the way, we saw plenty of what looked like CO2 cartridges all over the street.

Or were they something else?

Cross-post to "I don't know much about drugs."

Maybe cross post to not knowing much about cycling either....

Fastest way to inflate after fixing a flat: http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#co2

Nope, the cartridges were too small. I've got one of the fast-fill devices in my pack ... the ones we saw were too small to fill an inner tube.

SW denizens probably destroying their brains with co2 gas. Huffing is still popular, apparently.
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Little three-year old neighbor is running around in his front yard playing unsupervised. It's cool: he's trained not to stray and I was half keeping an eye out. He climbs down out of the little ornamental crabapple tree that he'd been climbing, pulled his draws down a bit and peed on the door of his father's Accord. Bah hah hah, justice.

Don't get the wrong idea: this isn't Appalachia so this kind of this isn't a common sight from my front porch. I've got an upbringing so I played the crotchey old man card and shouted "hey, now wash your hands!" Little dude looks around then replies "but I didn't touch anything." No, I guess that he didn't. Next time the 'hood gathers for cocktails I'll tell his old man that he's raised a legalist and a literalist.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue May 10, 2016 12:58 pm

A long-empty little engineering building near my work has a new tenant and they have me cracking up. Shortly after moving in they put up a new sign; something like Dong Wan Engineering. The actual name is lost to me, but it was definitely Dong for about a month when suddenly it changed. I'm guessing that some kind soul at Chrysler or GM cued them in that having "dick" in your name only works if you're selling adult toys or you're a gender-reassignment surgeon.

After getting the name straightened out (ha!) I see what appears to be engineers our working in the parking lot, filling in potholes and breaking up a crumbling concrete walk. I say "engineers" because it's a couple of guys in white shirts and ties working the shovels and swinging the big hammers. Business must be slow and so these guys are out performing repairs.

For as amusing as it's been to watch things develop I have to give them props: these Chinese or Korean guys look like a modern rewrite of a Horatio Alger story. It's the first chapter in a story about the American dream. Chapter 20 will have them selling a ton of parts and living in Oakland Township.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:A long-empty little engineering building near my work has a new tenant and they have me cracking up. Shortly after moving in they put up a new sign; something like Dong Wan Engineering. The actual name is lost to me, but it was definitely Dong for about a month when suddenly it changed. I'm guessing that some kind soul at Chrysler or GM cued them in that having "dick" in your name only works if you're selling adult toys or you're a gender-reassignment surgeon.

After getting the name straightened out (ha!) I see what appears to be engineers our working in the parking lot, filling in potholes and breaking up a crumbling concrete walk. I say "engineers" because it's a couple of guys in white shirts and ties working the shovels and swinging the big hammers. Business must be slow and so these guys are out performing repairs.

For as amusing as it's been to watch things develop I have to give them props: these Chinese or Korean guys look like a modern rewrite of a Horatio Alger story. It's the first chapter in a story about the American dream. Chapter 20 will have them selling a ton of parts and living in Oakland Township.

Update: today, in the rain, one Asian guy was laying sod

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:39 am

The AP has only one parking spot reserved for Cubs games (I have no idea why anyone would drive to a Cubs game, btw) so I have a little system worked out for night games. I SpotHero a place near the bottom end of the Loop, usually $10-$15 for 12 hours, then ride the Red Line up to Wrigley. Because of last night's rain delay, I didn't get on the subway until about 11:45.
About halfway to my stop, Methadone Molly starts barfing while hanging on to a pair of overhead straps. The older fellow who fled to the other side of the car with me informed me this is quite the regular thing with this lady.

I hope the next night game I cover at Wrigley is a pitchers' duel that end in less than two hours.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Independence Twp. man jumps from overpass on I-75
The Detroit News 10:29 a.m. EDT June 8, 2016
A 21-year-old Independence Township resident who authorities said deliberately jumped from an Interstate 75 overpass Tuesday night is recovering in a hospital in critical condition.

Oakland County Sheriff’s deputies and township fire department workers responded to the area on northbound I-75 below the M-15 overpass about 7:19 p.m. after witnesses reported seeing the man climb a fence on the overpass and jump into the northbound lanes below. The man did not appear to have been hit by any vehicles, according to a preliminary report of the incident. He was rushed to Genesys Hospital for treatment.

The man, who had no identification on him, is believed to have parked a vehicle at a nearby gas station. The vehicle is registered to people believed to be his relatives, who have been contacted by authorities.

The man’s father lives in North Carolina and his mother is visiting friends in Las Vegas, deputies said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2016/06/08/independence-man-overpass/85593308/

Must have made only a little splat because I was through there about 30 minutes past the time cited in the story and there was no sign at all of excitement, clean-up, rescue, etc. Unlike the one time five or six years ago when I was heading north on 75 through Warren and a lost soul took a dive just ahead of me. Eeep.

Postby The Fickle Finger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:46 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Independence Twp. man jumps from overpass on I-75
The Detroit News 10:29 a.m. EDT June 8, 2016
A 21-year-old Independence Township resident who authorities said deliberately jumped from an Interstate 75 overpass Tuesday night is recovering in a hospital in critical condition.

Oakland County Sheriff’s deputies and township fire department workers responded to the area on northbound I-75 below the M-15 overpass about 7:19 p.m. after witnesses reported seeing the man climb a fence on the overpass and jump into the northbound lanes below. The man did not appear to have been hit by any vehicles, according to a preliminary report of the incident. He was rushed to Genesys Hospital for treatment.

The man, who had no identification on him, is believed to have parked a vehicle at a nearby gas station. The vehicle is registered to people believed to be his relatives, who have been contacted by authorities.

The man’s father lives in North Carolina and his mother is visiting friends in Las Vegas, deputies said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2016/06/08/independence-man-overpass/85593308/

Must have made only a little splat because I was through there about 30 minutes past the time cited in the story and there was no sign at all of excitement, clean-up, rescue, etc. Unlike the one time five or six years ago when I was heading north on 75 through Warren and a lost soul took a dive just ahead of me. Eeep.

75 doesn't go through Warren. Maybe Hazel Park or Madison Heights? Besides that, the Holiday Inn in HP used to be a mecca for those despondent people. They'd book a room, and dive off onto the parking deck there. Those folks probably come for the high dive, and decide to just plunge off the 75 bridge because it's close. Was that close to 696? THAT bridge, especially the upper level, would do the job nicely. Height is about right...
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:54 pm

The Fickle Finger wrote: 75 doesn't go through Warren. Maybe Hazel Park or Madison Heights?

It doesn't? Holy shit, I didn't know that. I was from the west side, and everything up and over there was Warren to my thinking because I didn't spend much time at all in that part of town. And these days everything on 75 from the Holbrook exit to maybe 14 Mile or Big Beaver is equivalent to flyover country: just something to get through on the way to or from the important places.

the Holiday Inn in HP used to be a mecca for those despondent people. They'd book a room, and dive off onto the parking deck there.

More lore from the east side that I'd not heard before today. I did hear about the couple, within living memory, who were relaxing in a post-coital embrace on the balcony of that hotel when, sonofabitch, the rail failed and the fell. No death, as I recall, which probably complicated what came next when they had to explain to others why they were together in a hotel room.

Was that close to 696?

The bridge was either John R. or Nine Mile or whatever mile road runs through that area where the speed limit drops to 50. I don't think much about it anymore, but the next time through I'll try to note exactly which overpass it was. At any rate the guy didn't fall more than 25 feet but it sure as hell killed him.

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:15 pm

The Fickle Finger wrote: 75 doesn't go through Warren. Maybe Hazel Park or Madison Heights?

It doesn't? Holy shit, I didn't know that. I was from the west side, and everything up and over there was Warren to my thinking because I didn't spend much time at all in that part of town. And these days everything on 75 from the Holbrook exit to maybe 14 Mile or Big Beaver is equivalent to flyover country: just something to get through on the way to or from the important places.

the Holiday Inn in HP used to be a mecca for those despondent people. They'd book a room, and dive off onto the parking deck there.

More lore from the east side that I'd not heard before today. I did hear about the couple, within living memory, who were relaxing in a post-coital embrace on the balcony of that hotel when, sonofabitch, the rail failed and the fell. No death, as I recall, which probably complicated what came next when they had to explain to others why they were together in a hotel room.

Was that close to 696?

The bridge was either John R. or Nine Mile or whatever mile road runs through that area where the speed limit drops to 50. I don't think much about it anymore, but the next time through I'll try to note exactly which overpass it was. At any rate the guy didn't fall more than 25 feet but it sure as hell killed him.

It's Nine Mile. John R. parallels the freeway there.
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby middle aged female » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Sterile Whites 48313 wrote:

Was that close to 696?

It's Nine Mile. John R. parallels the freeway there.

Both John R and 9 Mile cross over 75 there.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Mulligan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Drove next to the new choo-choo train on Woodward yesterday. Sharp-looking ride. Will be interesting to see the traffic flow when the train comes online.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Craig » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am

2 women stabbed as crowd cheers, records with phones

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/04/10/crowd-records-fight-ending-stabbing/100284846/

I didn't personally witness this but I did scan the vid that is embedded in the DN story. It includes about what you expect: a large and jubilant crowd enjoying the blood-sport, but no apparent peace-makers. If this is the future then our society is cooked. Bring on the NK nukes because there's little left to save.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Craig wrote:
2 women stabbed as crowd cheers, records with phones

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/04/10/crowd-records-fight-ending-stabbing/100284846/

I didn't personally witness this but I did scan the vid that is embedded in the DN story. It includes about what you expect: a large and jubilant crowd enjoying the blood-sport, but no apparent peace-makers. If this is the future then our society is cooked. Bring on the NK nukes because there's little left to save.

Is there some sort of depraved indifference statute that would apply to the amateur filmmakers?
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Craig » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 pm

On the freeway on the way home from work there was a boat on a trailer on the shoulder. A wheel was missing from the trailer as was the tow vehicle which presumably was off getting a flat repaired. What was there in place of a jack or a jackstand? Why nothing other than a standard issue plastic Coleman cooler. The hub was resting on the damn thing.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Previous

Return to General Discussion