Hot Fudge Chest Thumpers

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Chest Thumpers

Postby Random Douchebag » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 pm

The Beav wrote:Old student of mine wins the News photo contest.

http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/multimedia/gallery.php?id=18068

There's a puff piece in there about the kid overcoming great odds and obstacles...
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby Toolbox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Random Douchebag wrote:

There's a puff piece in there about the kid overcoming great odds and obstacles...

Was one of the odds and obstacles that he had a bartender as a teacher?
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Random Douchebag » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Toolbox wrote:
Random Douchebag wrote:

That's what I was insinuating.
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby The Beav » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Random Douchebag wrote:
Toolbox wrote:
Random Douchebag wrote:

That's what I was insinuating.

It helped him build character. Fuckers.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby guest » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:06 pm

Just saw that I made the cut for the upcoming Scarab Club photography show. Pretty surprising because I didn't put much thought into selecting my submission, after dropping it off I was going through some image files and thought this is what I should have entered, but you never know what the juror will like.

This is part chest thump, it's something of an ego boost to know that this half blind miner can hold his own with professional artists and CCS students/alumni, and part goddammit because now I have to find the original, schlep up to Royal Oak and pay for scanning and printing, and drag it home and cut a matte and frame it. Cross to unpaid work (unless I win a prize which is unlikely, although I did take home $100 from their Silver Medal Exhibition this year - cross to Almost Covered Expenses.)
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Just finished setting up a Windows 98 box with no floppy drive to boot from for a friend to restore back ups to. If this sounds easy to you, you're wrong. It was a bitch. New computer equipment is too good for 98.
Therefor, I am still Queen of the Obsolete!! Just give me a copy of DOS, some Windows 3.11 disks, a floppy drive and a dial up modem and I will rule the world!! Bwahahahaha. After the collapse of course. Now it's a fairly useless ability.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Don't sell yourself short, MAF. Years ago there were big bonfires and scrap metal drives with hand planes once power equipment was available and cheap. Now those old tools and the skill to use them are in high demand. You might one day become the Roy Underhill of tech row.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Roy Underhill » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Craig wrote:Don't sell yourself short, MAF. Years ago there were big bonfires and scrap metal drives with hand planes once power equipment was available and cheap. Now those old tools and the skill to use them are in high demand. You might one day become the Roy Underhill of tech row.

Skiddildee doo!
Roy Underhill
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Having been named after my grandfather, I came into possession of anything with his name or monogram on it including his retirement book and related letters and a bound book of photographs documenting a train trip taken by a group of industrialists and other players including Spike Briggs - these people partied hard and it's some funny shit.

So what do you do with something like that? I got an idea - give it to local museum's archives (hint - it's in Dearborn, has cars and planes and trains and an outside collection of old building including the Wright Brothers' bicycle shop and a facsimile of Edison's lab). I just found out that they've accepted it. It takes a long time for these decisions to be made. Cross to One Less Box of Crap In My Basement.

My sister thought I should've given it to her kids, my nephews, but fuck that. There's one collection of this and there's two of them; they're not going to do anything more with it than I have except maybe spill beer on it all or lose it. Now it will be available to scholars, researchers, and really anybody who wants to walk in and ask to see it including my punk-ass nephews. The curator's staff will clean it up, catalogue it and keep it safe, and I'll get a token tax exemption. I call it a good deal.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:55 pm

guest wrote:Having been named after my grandfather, I came into possession of anything with his name or monogram on it including his retirement book and related letters and a bound book of photographs documenting a train trip taken by a group of industrialists and other players including Spike Briggs - these people partied hard and it's some funny shit.

So what do you do with something like that? I got an idea - give it to local museum's archives (hint - it's in Dearborn, has cars and planes and trains and an outside collection of old building including the Wright Brothers' bicycle shop and a facsimile of Edison's lab). I just found out that they've accepted it. It takes a long time for these decisions to be made. Cross to One Less Box of Crap In My Basement.

My sister thought I should've given it to her kids, my nephews, but fuck that. There's one collection of this and there's two of them; they're not going to do anything more with it than I have except maybe spill beer on it all or lose it. Now it will be available to scholars, researchers, and really anybody who wants to walk in and ask to see it including my punk-ass nephews. The curator's staff will clean it up, catalogue it and keep it safe, and I'll get a token tax exemption. I call it a good deal.

Very cool. Now, do we ask for "guest's crap" if we want to see it?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Previous

Return to General Discussion