Streets of Detroit

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Streets of Detroit

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:13 am

Now that the Washington Blvd. signs on my street are being replaced with John Conyers Jr. Boulevard signs I feel the urge to move.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:30 am

Andy wrote:Now that the Washington Blvd. signs on my street are being replaced with John Conyers Jr. Boulevard signs I feel the urge to move.

I noticed that on Sunday. When did this happen?
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:39 am

I was looking on Google and it appears to have been in the works for a few years.

It's nauseating to see that name on a street sign.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 am

Andy wrote:I was looking on Google and it appears to have been in the works for a few years.

I find that quite gauche to allow something to be named for you while you're alive. Even the stuff named for John Dingell in the Downriver/Dearborn areas are named for his father.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Andy wrote:I was looking on Google and it appears to have been in the works for a few years.

I find that quite gauche to allow something to be named for you while you're alive. Even the stuff named for John Dingell in the Downriver/Dearborn areas are named for his father.

I agree completely. Promoting or even allowing this brings to mind pharohs having their own names chiseled into monuments.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Who knows how much longer I'll live here but as long as I do I'll keep using the Washington Blvd. name. They'll have to recognize it for years to come anyway.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby middle aged female » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:03 pm

I wonder how long it will take before there's a hue and cry to change the names of streets like Livernois, Campau, John R, Macomb, etc once this article gets some legs.
Maybe then can change the name of the Dequindre Cut to Aretha Franklin Way.
http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/1686/slavery_is_detroit_s_big_bad_secret_why_don_t_we_know_anything_about_it
August 27th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Metro Detroiters love to celebrate their local history, especially when it involves the noble, magnificent and world-class chapters of the past: The auto industry. Motown Records. The Underground Railroad. Diego Rivera. Coney Islands.

On the other hand, local history has its crazy uncles. Those are chapters that might be fascinating and important, but they are hidden in the back room and rarely talked about. Henry Ford’s anti-Semitism, taking land from the Indians, the Free Press’ 19th Century racism and the auto companies’ early abuse of workers come to mind.

Then there is the granddaddy of all forgotten local history. The subject no one talks about, virtually ever. The most neglected topic of all.

Slavery.

Slavery in Detroit has remained an enormous secret. It is an essential chapter in Detroit’s 311-year story, but it has been pushed back into archives and covered up by decades of neglect and denial. Few people, even well-informed college graduates, know that slavery played a key role in the growth of Detroit, and wealthy Detroiters owned slaves for the first 120 years of the city's existence.

When metro Detroiters talk about slavery, they talk about black men and women picking cotton in Georgia and Mississippi because that is what students in southeastern Michigan learn in school.

Yet slavery is very much homegrown. What has been called the “national sin” is also Detroit’s sin. It is the origin of our racial crisis, our peculiar institution, our “necessary evil.” Slavery belongs to Detroit just like slavery belongs to Charleston, Monticello and New Orleans.

Many roads, schools and communities across southeast Michigan carry the names of old, prominent families that owned slaves: Macomb, Campau; Beaubien; McDougall; Abbott; Brush; Cass; Hamtramck; Gouin; Meldrum; Dequindre; Beaufait; Groesbeck; Livernois and Rivard, among many others....
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby James Scott » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:56 pm

middle aged female wrote:I wonder how long it will take before there's a hue and cry to change the names of streets like Livernois, Campau, John R, Macomb, etc once this article gets some legs.
Maybe then can change the name of the Dequindre Cut to Aretha Franklin Way.
http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/1686/slavery_is_detroit_s_big_bad_secret_why_don_t_we_know_anything_about_it
August 27th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Metro Detroiters love to celebrate their local history, especially when it involves the noble, magnificent and world-class chapters of the past: The auto industry. Motown Records. The Underground Railroad. Diego Rivera. Coney Islands.

On the other hand, local history has its crazy uncles. Those are chapters that might be fascinating and important, but they are hidden in the back room and rarely talked about. Henry Ford’s anti-Semitism, taking land from the Indians, the Free Press’ 19th Century racism and the auto companies’ early abuse of workers come to mind.

Then there is the granddaddy of all forgotten local history. The subject no one talks about, virtually ever. The most neglected topic of all.

Slavery.

Slavery in Detroit has remained an enormous secret. It is an essential chapter in Detroit’s 311-year story, but it has been pushed back into archives and covered up by decades of neglect and denial. Few people, even well-informed college graduates, know that slavery played a key role in the growth of Detroit, and wealthy Detroiters owned slaves for the first 120 years of the city's existence.

When metro Detroiters talk about slavery, they talk about black men and women picking cotton in Georgia and Mississippi because that is what students in southeastern Michigan learn in school.

Yet slavery is very much homegrown. What has been called the “national sin” is also Detroit’s sin. It is the origin of our racial crisis, our peculiar institution, our “necessary evil.” Slavery belongs to Detroit just like slavery belongs to Charleston, Monticello and New Orleans.

Many roads, schools and communities across southeast Michigan carry the names of old, prominent families that owned slaves: Macomb, Campau; Beaubien; McDougall; Abbott; Brush; Cass; Hamtramck; Gouin; Meldrum; Dequindre; Beaufait; Groesbeck; Livernois and Rivard, among many others....

Not to worry. On this side of 8 Mile, and in cities and counties that they don't control, Dequindre, Groesbeck, Livernois, etc. will still be around. I guess the rest are SOL.
Hipsters, douchebags and lumberjacks. All can be found in abundance in Midtown and Downtown.
James Scott
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Not in Detroit, but close. Just like hand grenades, tiddlywinks, and horseshoes.

Postby Cuddles the Dead Bear » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Salem

Newport

Winston

Montclair

Marlborough

Chesterfield

Benson and Hedge
Cuddles the Dead Bear
Hot Fudge Regular