Hot Fudge Ask The Expert

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Ask The Expert

Postby D-Day » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

middle aged female wrote:
D-Day wrote:Friend of D-Day Out Of The Can made this box for us in memoriam of the Tango Uniform D-Day. It needs to be finished, but I don't really know how to finish it.......the wood is really, really soft. Almost like balsa. Should I just put urethane on it? Light stain and then urethane?

Suggestions?

BTW......if anyone is concerned, D-Day Out Of The Can has been doing fine since he came back from the can. He's working and, for now, seems to be pretty dead set ob changing his ways. Time will tell, but so far, so good

Beautiful job on the box and I'm glad to hear D-Day II is doing well. How long since the can opener was applied? About a month, now? It's a good start

Yep....Mrs.D-Day picked him up on 31 Dec and, yeah, it's a good start. He works nights so we figure that will make it easier for him to stay out of trouble. It really seems like whatever he did in that lockdown rehab, he took seriously

If anyone knows how to get hold of Roq, can you put him in touch with me. PM me for my phone #
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby middle aged female » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:25 pm

D-Day wrote:
D-Day wrote:Friend of D-Day Out Of The Can made this box for us in memoriam of the Tango Uniform D-Day. It needs to be finished, but I don't really know how to finish it.......the wood is really, really soft. Almost like balsa. Should I just put urethane on it? Light stain and then urethane?

Suggestions?

BTW......if anyone is concerned, D-Day Out Of The Can has been doing fine since he came back from the can. He's working and, for now, seems to be pretty dead set ob changing his ways. Time will tell, but so far, so good

Beautiful job on the box and I'm glad to hear D-Day II is doing well. How long since the can opener was applied? About a month, now? It's a good start

Yep....Mrs.D-Day picked him up on 31 Dec and, yeah, it's a good start. He works nights so we figure that will make it easier for him to stay out of trouble. It really seems like whatever he did in that lockdown rehab, he took seriously

If anyone knows how to get hold of Roq, can you put him in touch with me. PM me for my phone #

D-Day, Roq and I are FB friends; message me your contact info on FB and I'll see if I can get it to him
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 pm

D-Day wrote:Yeah........I'm almost tempted to pay someone to do this. This isn't novice territory where there's room for mostakes

Was that intentional irony? :)

This isn't difficult stuff. Just practice on some scrap wood until you're proficient. But if you truly don't trust yourself then pay a visit to the stores that I cited. They probably can put you in touch with someone who will do it for you.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Roquefort Robert » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Shit, I'm no expert and I'd say FUIGB is the more experienced wood worker. That said, I've never finished wood that soft but I'd guess that it is a little more receptive to stain than the oak or maple I've usually finished. I'd also guess that the stain will penetrate deeper into the wood but I'm not sure either of those things matter. For something like that I would normally wipe it down with water to open up the wood cells to be more receptive of the stain but if my thinking is right regarding the porousness of the wood, that might not be necessary and I wouldn't do any resanding with it either. I agree with Frank regarding testing on the bottom or obtaining like wood for testing. I tend to prefer dark stains but I would go with something lighter for this project. A lighter stain would make the darkened areas and the lettering pop. An English Chestnut or light walnut type would be my preference. It would probably only need one coat with a soft bristle brush but you would judge it after that first coat. Let it dry for a couple days then if need be, go over it lightly with a very fine steel wool to smooth out any inconsistencies in the stain if it's heavier in some areas. Then apply a light coat of polyurethane, probably semi-gloss. Let it dry for another day or two. Apply another coat of poly and let it dry again. If there's any issues with the poly after it dries, you can go over trouble areas with very fine sand paper (220 or so) and then apply another light coat but that usually isn't an issue when you apply multiple light coats.

That's what I got but I'm sure someone around here knows Norm Abrams. I believe he's an actual, real wood worker.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby jmy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:50 am

All good advice, especially about trying things out on the bottom first. You might also ask if the maker has any scraps you can use. Soft wood will also sometimes become blotchy with stain when different areas absorb it differently. In the past, I've used a thin layer of shellac to seal the wood before applying stain. The wood will still take stain, but it won't suck it right in and it helps even out the color. Plus if it's too dark, or you don't like it, you can always remove it (to some degree) with mineral spirits.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Anybody ever been to Rome? Any suggestions for a decent place to stay? We'll be there Dec. 31-Jan. 3.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby middle aged female » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:05 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Anybody ever been to Rome? Any suggestions for a decent place to stay? We'll be there Dec. 31-Jan. 3.

Check out the Pope; I hear he's interesting
middle aged female

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:50 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Anybody ever been to Rome? Any suggestions for a decent place to stay? We'll be there Dec. 31-Jan. 3.

Check out the Pope; I hear he's interesting

Brunette 1.0 googled -- I am not making this up -- "Vatican City hours" to see if the Holy See would, indeed, be open while we're there.
Good news: It's only closed Jan. 1.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby D-Day » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 pm

So, I'll just throw this out there and maybe one of you left can answer this.

Just picked up an '04 Town and Country as a stopgap to replace Mrs. D-Day's Impala that recently gave up the ghost. It's in really good shape, low miles for a 12 year old van, and Mrs. D-Day actually got a pretty good deal on it, but the right rear taillight is out. There's two bulbs in the housing. My guess is one is the tail/brake light, and the other is the reverse light. Here's the weird part.....if you put the damn thing in reverse, the tail light illuminates...nothing when you turn on the lights or hit the brake......WTF?

Wires crossed somewhere? (Although I have no idea how THAT could happen)
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Beav » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Bad brake switch? I totally lost my lights (and cruise control) when that happened.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:05 am

Turns out it was a bulb. I changed them both out and one was misnumbered (but still fit). All is good now. Still, that was the weirdest thing. The only thing I can figure is that they share a ground and that' why they acted like that's
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Craig » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:36 am

D-Day wrote:Turns out it was a bulb. I changed them both out and one was misnumbered (but still fit). All is good now. Still, that was the weirdest thing. The only thing I can figure is that they share a ground and that' why they acted like that's

Glad to hear that the issue was resolved. Chryslers are odd, in my experience: the engineering is there, but the production quality is at best so-so. A friend has an '06 Grand Caravan with a tail light that went out years ago and no matter what is done it will not come back to life so he tries to not drive after dark.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Anyone know how to get information about a rape-murder case/investigation that took place in Detroit sixty years ago? Newspapers.com has a story from early on in the investigation but then the trail goes cold. The deceased was a former girlfriend of a relative. They fell out of touch, relative moved out of town, young woman was kidnapped, raped, and killed. Relative is now elderly, just discovered the internet, and called me tonight in a tizzy: how do I find out who did this and how they were punished? So, where in the hell does one start? My relative was good and gone at the time of the crime so stifle the smartass comments that I know I'd be tempted to make if it was someone else asking.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 am

Craig wrote:Anyone know how to get information about a rape-murder case/investigation that took place in Detroit sixty years ago? Newspapers.com has a story from early on in the investigation but then the trail goes cold. The deceased was a former girlfriend of a relative. They fell out of touch, relative moved out of town, young woman was kidnapped, raped, and killed. Relative is now elderly, just discovered the internet, and called me tonight in a tizzy: how do I find out who did this and how they were punished? So, where in the hell does one start? My relative was good and gone at the time of the crime so stifle the smartass comments that I know I'd be tempted to make if it was someone else asking.

I was going to suggest Newspapers.com, but it seems that you already did. Do you have Ancestry.com; you might be able to get some info through there. If you don't and you want to PM me the name, I will take a look for you.
middle aged female

Postby Mud Bug » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Craig wrote:Anyone know how to get information about a rape-murder case/investigation that took place in Detroit sixty years ago? Newspapers.com has a story from early on in the investigation but then the trail goes cold. The deceased was a former girlfriend of a relative. They fell out of touch, relative moved out of town, young woman was kidnapped, raped, and killed. Relative is now elderly, just discovered the internet, and called me tonight in a tizzy: how do I find out who did this and how they were punished? So, where in the hell does one start? My relative was good and gone at the time of the crime so stifle the smartass comments that I know I'd be tempted to make if it was someone else asking.

I was going to suggest Newspapers.com, but it seems that you already did. Do you have Ancestry.com; you might be able to get some info through there. If you don't and you want to PM me the name, I will take a look for you.

Your options are limited, but there are a couple of options.

You could scour old Detroit newspaper microfiche records from that period. My experience with sites like newspapers.com is they are limited in capturing what was actually reported. I'd start at the main Detroit public library branch on Woodward.

My dad had a friend who was killed in the city, oh twenty-five years ago. This friend owned a couple of ghetto houses he rented out and a dispute with a tenant went violent and that was that. Curious about what happened years after the homicide, long after the Al Gore internet was invented, I tried to find a news story about the incident. There was nada. Just like today, newspapers only report a fraction of what goes on. Yesterday, there were probably fifteen to twenty shootings in the city, two dozen car jackings, and a couple of homicides. How many of those stories will get covered in today's news? Maybe one or two, maybe none.

The smarter approach would probably be submitting a Freedom of Information Act Request with DPD or the 36th district court asking for copies of the investigative file. You'll get the run-around at first, like a letter stating that all archived records are maintained by another department, or that such request would cost you hundreds of dollars blah blah blah, but the bottom line is once you cut through all the bureaucratic red tape, somewhere out there is a file containing the police reports and court adjudications. It's one of millions of buried files that aren't digitized, and may even be misfiled, so be very specific in what you are asking for as ambiguity makes it easy for a frustrated (and over-worked) clerk to dismiss the request as unanswerable. And be prepared to be patient- it could take months before you hear anything back and many more before you get to the bottom of it. Good luck and hopefully your relative has many moons left, as it could take that long.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion