Hot Fudge Ask The Expert

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Ask The Expert

Postby Craig » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:51 pm

^ there may be a happier outcome than I'd hoped. A super-hero among us found what seems like contrary information. I'm taking this to my relative/father and will let him decide if the old friend actually did survive. Stay tuned.

Funny re: dead land lords. I know or knew of three in Detroit. One was an Irish guy from Warrendale but he died closer to 30 years ago. Another was an economics grad student that I knew at Wayne State. This guy was from Kenya and caught it about 25 years ago. The last one was a former classmate of my one brother; about 23 years ago and he got it when he accompanied his slum lord brother (also a federal agent, I believe) on a rent-collecting mission. Are any of these your guy, Mud Bug?

And for sure, so much goes uncovered and effectively forgotten by all but family and intrepid researchers.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Mud Bug » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:31 pm

The guy I knew was named Jim Baxter. I don't know a whole lot about him, other than in addition to owning a couple of Detroit slum houses, he worked the line at Woodhaven Stamping. No kids, no wife, as far as I can recall.

I do vaguely remember this Baxter guy telling stories about being a landlord in the hood, like the time one of his renter's kids took a hammer to the outside of a rental house and punched out a bunch of holes in the aluminum siding, out of boredom.

It was several months after he died that my dad heard about it. Baxter was the type of friend who would occasionally show up unannounced, usually on his motorcycle, every few months or so. When several months went by without a visit, my dad made some calls to see what the deal was. Finally he got in touch with someone who knew what happened, and the story was that a tenant killed him. Nowadays with Facebook and all that, word gets around much faster.

Like I said, out of simple curiousity regarding the details, I've given a half-ass effort to internet researching his demise. No luck. If any of the five people here want to give it shot, be my guest. I have no further information to add than what I've written. I would estimate this occurred in the early to mid 1990s. It may have been later 90s, but definitely before year 2000.

As far as going so far as filing a FOIA request with DPD or scouring microfiche records at the library, this Baxter guy doesn't rank high enough on my childhood memory scale to merit further inquiry. He was a fringe friend of my old man, not someone who mattered to my world, then or now.

His death, in reality, was simply one of 20,000 Detroit homicides in the past 30 years. If there once was a news story about, it was probably a three sentence account on page ten about an unnamed landlord no one cared about being shot while attempting to collect rent, or shot while chastising a tenant about his kid pounding holes in the aluminum siding for the hundredth time.

If the person who killed him was caught (I say 'if' because the Detroit homicide clearance rate is around 30%), he probably plead guilty to 2nd degree murder, got sentenced to 15-20 years, and got paroled after 7 years.

Btw, I would consider being a slumlord in Detroit to be as high risk a gig as a bomb tech in Afghanistan or game warden at an elephant reserve in Rwanda.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 am

^Sounds like you dead acquaintence isn't in my short portfolio of prematurely expired slum lords. And if the details are so then it sounds as though time and history are a meat grinder for Mr. Baxter, having taken him in and minced he and his memory, leaving no more trace than the old newspapers torn into bits to make blown insulation: occasionally a tiny fragment bearing letters or even a short word will surface but it's seperated from all else that gave it its original meaning. How is that for a comment on the impermancence of individual life? It's entirely possible that the most thought given to this man in the past quarter century occured right here in a barely-read thread in a barely-read forum. Here, gone, then eventually forgotten.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby meme » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Maybe it's my perspective, but I can't see these guys making enough money to make
the risk worth it. The risk of being murdered is quite low, but the rents I saw were
too low for me to bother with the property. Let alone the bullshit dished out by
this type of tenant.

I occasionally watch the shea show on youtube. guy is a property manager in Detroit. You couldnt get me to put up with half the crap he does.
meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm

meme wrote:Maybe it's my perspective, but I can't see these guys making enough money to make
the risk worth it. The risk of being murdered is quite low, but the rents I saw were
too low for me to bother with the property. Let alone the bullshit dished out by
this type of tenant.

I occasionally watch the shea show on youtube. guy is a property manager in Detroit. You couldnt get me to put up with half the crap he does.

Some years ago I knew some mopey guys who were all about rental properties: pick up a load of rentable properties in dumps like Detroit, Pontiac, and Flint and then have a management company take care of everything from repairs to collections to evictions. Not a bad deal, I suppose, to be the money guy with clean hands while some underachieving near-lumpen prol does the dirty work of unsticking toilets and pitching out the ADC mommas (who know's that term? you win a prize) when things go bad. It sounded like a can't-lose proposition. Passive income, you know, just rolling right the F in while you keep your day job until such time that your portfolio of misery was large enough to sit back and do nothing full-time. Meanwhile the machine would grind on.

I've fallen out of touch with the people who swore that there were going to do this, but through the power of LinkedIn nobody in the professional world is truly out of sight and so I can report that the biggest proponent is still hard at work managing IT schmoes and going to meetings. There was this spreadsheet that he'd show me that detailed future cash flow, overhead, and the like and then a projection where both he and his wife would retire to the manor. Like I said, he is still working, driving from Goodrich to Ren Cen each day and probably still asking himself what in the hell went wrong in those Excel formulas.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Craig wrote:Anyone know how to get information about a rape-murder case/investigation that took place in Detroit sixty years ago? Newspapers.com has a story from early on in the investigation but then the trail goes cold. The deceased was a former girlfriend of a relative. They fell out of touch, relative moved out of town, young woman was kidnapped, raped, and killed. Relative is now elderly, just discovered the internet, and called me tonight in a tizzy: how do I find out who did this and how they were punished? So, where in the hell does one start? My relative was good and gone at the time of the crime so stifle the smartass comments that I know I'd be tempted to make if it was someone else asking.

Any more input from Dad on the case?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:35 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Craig wrote:Anyone know how to get information about a rape-murder case/investigation that took place in Detroit sixty years ago? Newspapers.com has a story from early on in the investigation but then the trail goes cold. The deceased was a former girlfriend of a relative. They fell out of touch, relative moved out of town, young woman was kidnapped, raped, and killed. Relative is now elderly, just discovered the internet, and called me tonight in a tizzy: how do I find out who did this and how they were punished? So, where in the hell does one start? My relative was good and gone at the time of the crime so stifle the smartass comments that I know I'd be tempted to make if it was someone else asking.

I relayed a message that he'd probably misunderstood what he'd seen online and I wad continuing to investigate. Investigate nothing: you nailed it. Forwarding your stuff simply isn't an option because the old guy would be stopped dead by having to open email attachments. I'll get down soon to review the file and prove that the dead girl wasn't his friend, but for now his mind is at ease. Thanks again for the bang-up myth-busting job.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Craig wrote:
middle aged female wrote:

I relayed a message that he'd probably misunderstood what he'd seen online and I wad continuing to investigate. Investigate nothing: you nailed it. Forwarding your stuff simply isn't an option because the old guy would be stopped dead by having to open email attachments. I'll get down soon to review the file and prove that the dead girl wasn't his friend, but for now his mind is at ease. Thanks again for the bang-up myth-busting job.

I enjoy doing it.
middle aged female

Postby Craig » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 am

The overtime finish to the Superbowl has caused a controversy with the "squares" pool at my work. Evidently the overtime caught the entire world by surprise because the standard download-print grids that are found online and used everywhere call out winners by quarter but make no provision for OT. This is all academic to me because my interest in football is virtually nil and the square that I felt obligated to buy came out as 2 - 2. But these are ten-dollar squares and the payout by quarter is 200-200-200-400 so the amount is not trivial and the decision re: the last quarter is talking about real money. Not including people like me who are hopelessly out of the running and/or don't care about the integrity of the system there are three factions: pay to the one holding the square for the score at the end of regulation play, pay to the one holding the final score, and those saying just split the damn pot between the two. The woman with the fourth-quarter square is a little pissed because the commissioner won't make a decision (he's a mopey dude who has run the office pool from the beginning of time; someone has to do it, and frankly I'm proud that such a social wallflower has been willing to take the bullet for all of these years) and per the pool sheet it states that the fourth-quarter score is the payout. Final-score guy is almost like one of those desperately poor people who win the big lottery jackpots: he earns literally nothing (artist) and so even splitting the pool will be a noticeable improvement in his financial health. I guess that as I think about it the fair thing to do is to learn from the OT finish and write in a provision for the future but today we spilt the money between the fourth quarter and final score winners. Split the baby.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Doctor Detroit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Craig wrote:The overtime finish to the Superbowl has caused a controversy with the "squares" pool at my work. Evidently the overtime caught the entire world by surprise because the standard download-print grids that are found online and used everywhere call out winners by quarter but make no provision for OT. This is all academic to me because my interest in football is virtually nil and the square that I felt obligated to buy came out as 2 - 2. But these are ten-dollar squares and the payout by quarter is 200-200-200-400 so the amount is not trivial and the decision re: the last quarter is talking about real money. Not including people like me who are hopelessly out of the running and/or don't care about the integrity of the system there are three factions: pay to the one holding the square for the score at the end of regulation play, pay to the one holding the final score, and those saying just split the damn pot between the two. The woman with the fourth-quarter square is a little pissed because the commissioner won't make a decision (he's a mopey dude who has run the office pool from the beginning of time; someone has to do it, and frankly I'm proud that such a social wallflower has been willing to take the bullet for all of these years) and per the pool sheet it states that the fourth-quarter score is the payout. Final-score guy is almost like one of those desperately poor people who win the big lottery jackpots: he earns literally nothing (artist) and so even splitting the pool will be a noticeable improvement in his financial health. I guess that as I think about it the fair thing to do is to learn from the OT finish and write in a provision for the future but today we spilt the money between the fourth quarter and final score winners. Split the baby.

It should be the fourth quarter score, not the overtime score. Please pass this message on to Final-score guy.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Tea Bag » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Man dies after setting himself on fire in Wendy’s

Grief counselors were consoling employees of a Highland Park fast food restaurant Friday after they tried unsuccessfully to save the life of a man who set himself on fire inside the bathroom, police said.

The man stumbled out of the bathroom of the Wendy’s restaurant at 13525 Woodward engulfed in flames Friday afternoon. Employees doused the man with water and called 911, but he died from his injuries, according to a Highland Park police officer who did not give his name.

“’Help!’ That was all he could say at the time,” Highland Park Fire Chief Kevin Coney told WWJ (950 AM). “He was calling for help and (the employees) went back there to try to assist him. But being fully engulfed in flames there’s nothing too much nobody can do but try to put water on him.”

Firefighters arrived to render First Aid, but the man was dead at the scene, police said.

It was unknown why the man set himself on fire, officials said. Coney told WWJ the employees who witnessed the incident were traumatized.

“Anytime you see something like that it is traumatic. They’re doing their best. They’ve (got) grief counselors in there right now assisting them,” he said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /97766442/

Anyone know much about spontaneous combustion? Because I think the press may have jumped the gun here with the assumption that he lit himself on fire.

The first time I heard about human spontaneous combustion was in the late 1970s, on a show my fellow Gen Xers will remember: "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy. Every episode explored some long lingering mystery, like what happened to the Lost Colony on Roanoke Island or did 9th century Vikings bury gold on Oak Island in a sophisticated tunnel system. I can recall the episode about the 'human torch' phenom, the many historical accounts of people going up in flames for no reason, sometimes after they just died. Reason I think this event at Wendy's may fit in that category (and believe me, I am very skeptical in general about this kind of stuff), is the man was yelling for help while fully afire. Such plea seems counter to an intentional act of self-termination. Could this have been example of the human torch syndrome? I say yes.
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Tea Bag wrote:
Man dies after setting himself on fire in Wendy’s

Grief counselors were consoling employees of a Highland Park fast food restaurant Friday after they tried unsuccessfully to save the life of a man who set himself on fire inside the bathroom, police said.

The man stumbled out of the bathroom of the Wendy’s restaurant at 13525 Woodward engulfed in flames Friday afternoon. Employees doused the man with water and called 911, but he died from his injuries, according to a Highland Park police officer who did not give his name.

“’Help!’ That was all he could say at the time,” Highland Park Fire Chief Kevin Coney told WWJ (950 AM). “He was calling for help and (the employees) went back there to try to assist him. But being fully engulfed in flames there’s nothing too much nobody can do but try to put water on him.”

Firefighters arrived to render First Aid, but the man was dead at the scene, police said.

It was unknown why the man set himself on fire, officials said. Coney told WWJ the employees who witnessed the incident were traumatized.

“Anytime you see something like that it is traumatic. They’re doing their best. They’ve (got) grief counselors in there right now assisting them,” he said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /97766442/

Anyone know much about spontaneous combustion? Because I think the press may have jumped the gun here with the assumption that he lit himself on fire.

The first time I heard about human spontaneous combustion was in the late 1970s, on a show my fellow Gen Xers will remember: "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy. Every episode explored some long lingering mystery, like what happened to the Lost Colony on Roanoke Island or did 9th century Vikings bury gold on Oak Island in a sophisticated tunnel system. I can recall the episode about the 'human torch' phenom, the many historical accounts of people going up in flames for no reason, sometimes after they just died. Reason I think this event at Wendy's may fit in that category (and believe me, I am very skeptical in general about this kind of stuff), is the man was yelling for help while fully afire. Such plea seems counter to an intentional act of self-termination. Could this have been example of the human torch syndrome? I say yes.

Sounds more like "Oh, shit, I've changed my mind; this hurts like a bitch" syndrome to me
middle aged female

Postby Craig » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:22 pm

As cool as it might be to finally have something credible to redeem that long ago series of bullshit -In Search of...- and as probable as a self-immolation suicide rethinking the mode of their demise after only a few seconds of being alive i'm going with a third possibility: drunk. As for incredibly improbable occurrences Highland Park already had one: winning lottery ticket sold at the gay bookstore as reported in the news. And a suicide? Please. Wendy's is warm and it's well-known among travelers that their bathrooms are among the cleanest. This guy was in a good place so where was the motivation to die?
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Tea Bag » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 pm

How would a drunk man just suddenly catch fire other than the enigmatic but well documented SHC? Bathing in gasoline thinking an abandoned gallon jug behind the gas station was filled with soapy water?

I get that in the realm of possibility, anything is possible, and if it wasn't SHC or suicide, there could have been some freakish set of circumstances, but it's hard to come up with such a scenario that makes any sense. Could this man been filling his car at a nearby gas station and the hose ruptured and a golden shower of petro spewed all over him? It's possible. Could he have then gone to Wendy's to wash up in the restroom when the hand drier sparked and he exploded? It's possible. Crazy shit happens every that defies normal explanation. But I'd still bet more money on the human torch syndrome situation here than a bizarre concurrence of random but intermeshing events led to a man going up in flames like a Roman candle.
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Tea Bag wrote:How would a drunk man just suddenly catch fire other than the enigmatic but well documented SHC? Bathing in gasoline thinking an abandoned gallon jug behind the gas station was filled with soapy water?

I get that in the realm of possibility, anything is possible, and if it wasn't SHC or suicide, there could have been some freakish set of circumstances, but it's hard to come up with such a scenario that makes any sense. Could this man been filling his car at a nearby gas station and the hose ruptured and a golden shower of petro spewed all over him? It's possible. Could he have then gone to Wendy's to wash up in the restroom when the hand drier sparked and he exploded? It's possible. Crazy shit happens every that defies normal explanation. But I'd still bet more money on the human torch syndrome situation here than a bizarre concurrence of random but intermeshing events led to a man going up in flames like a Roman candle.

Alcohol is flammable and if he spilled it all over himself and had saturated his clothes then tried to light up, dropped a match on himself? Ooopsie!
middle aged female

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion