Hot Fudge Road Trips

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Road Trips

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:00 pm

So we had/have a client dinner at some place deep enough into Delray that I honestly have no fucking idea where I am. Couple blocks off of Zug island they told me. JWB and calmari.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby middle aged female » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:So we had/have a client dinner at some place deep enough into Delray that I honestly have no fucking idea where I am. Couple blocks off of Zug island they told me. JWB and calmari.

Vince's or Giovanni's?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Giovanni's. On the back of their business card is a complicated little map. Very good food, but what a damned adventure finding the place.

Postby The Beav » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:28 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Giovanni's. On the back of their business card is a complicated little map. Very good food, but what a damned adventure finding the place.

A classic. Right down the street from the defunct Brady's Bridge Cafe Bar, home of Fresh Booze.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby middle aged female » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:35 pm

getting ready for the annual trek to Colorado; flight leaves at 10am tomorrow. Several road trips planned while we're there which qualifies this post for this thread.
Guanella Pass this weekend as well as Gold Hill loop and probably RMNP again with a side trip to either Estes Park or Fort Collins as well as the usual trips to Boulder, Lafayette and maybe a pumpkin patch.
Oh, and a bit of mountain gambling up at Black Hawk/Central City.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:12 am

counting the minutes until I leave our hotel for the airport in Melbourne, Australia. Being off by 14 hours has played hell with my sleep: it's about 11 pm here and my body hates me for effectively staying awake all damn night for the past four or five (lost track) nights. Coming here is an adventure that I do enjoy but the flying is awful (total of 23 hours in the air spread across three legs.

Since I'm not sleeping until as late as possible there's time to share a few things:

-these people are really friendly, more like Americans than Brits or Canadians. go to a bar and in short order you can have a handful of best friends for the evening.
-the American elections are a big topic of conversation in Australia. Upon discovering that I'm an American many will ask my position on the presidential candidates and most will offer that while both are crap they are frightened by Donald Trump. Funny, because I cannot think of which party currently holds power in Oz parliament or who is their prime minister. Sure, Google can answer that but the point is that they know plenty about us while their leader could have served us drinks last night and I wouldn't have known
-standard price for a beer in the CBD is ten or 11 bucks Australian. So maybe this works out to only nine dollars US, but still you have to admire the financial commitment needed to get a buzz by locals and others not an expense account
-Australian rules football Super Bowl (called something else. don't care so I've forgotten) is Saturday and is being held at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds, a former olympic stadium that is really Goddamn big, They'll fill it up I'm told. It's the Swans vs. Bulldogs,

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:44 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:counting the minutes until I leave our hotel for the airport in Melbourne, Australia. Being off by 14 hours has played hell with my sleep: it's about 11 pm here and my body hates me for effectively staying awake all damn night for the past four or five (lost track) nights. Coming here is an adventure that I do enjoy but the flying is awful (total of 23 hours in the air spread across three legs.

Since I'm not sleeping until as late as possible there's time to share a few things:

-these people are really friendly, more like Americans than Brits or Canadians. go to a bar and in short order you can have a handful of best friends for the evening.
-the American elections are a big topic of conversation in Australia. Upon discovering that I'm an American many will ask my position on the presidential candidates and most will offer that while both are crap they are frightened by Donald Trump. Funny, because I cannot think of which party currently holds power in Oz parliament or who is their prime minister. Sure, Google can answer that but the point is that they know plenty about us while their leader could have served us drinks last night and I wouldn't have known
-standard price for a beer in the CBD is ten or 11 bucks Australian. So maybe this works out to only nine dollars US, but still you have to admire the financial commitment needed to get a buzz by locals and others not an expense account
-Australian rules football Super Bowl (called something else. don't care so I've forgotten) is Saturday and is being held at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds, a former olympic stadium that is really Goddamn big, They'll fill it up I'm told. It's the Swans vs. Bulldogs,

I've heard as much from the handful of people I know who've been to Australia.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:16 am

We took a ferry from Malta to Sicily yesterday and were pretty knocked out by the whole experience.
We started at Mount Etna, where you can have a nice lunch in a chalet about 1500 meters from the summit. It was cold and snow-covered and cool as hell to be scuffling around one of the craters. The windy road to get up and down the mountain is an attraction unto itself.

Two hours later, we were in Modica, a village that makes you think you traveled back to the late 19th century. Beautiful churches on every block (it seemed) and the pace of things just seemed to say "I'll get to it when I get to it."

In between, you pass rows and rows of olive, orange, lemon and carob trees, with the odd prickly pear bush thrown in (the liqueur made from it is sold everywhere ... the wife likes it). Beautiful.

The downside: We did the trip through our hotel concierge, which means we were stuck on a bus full of shrivs who could've died at any second. One lady from the UK was barfing up a lung, it seemed, every 10 minutes and it was clear the thinner air near the mountain wasn't helping. But I'm going to stop there and bite my tongue because, God willing, I'll be one of those shrivs one day riding the tour bus.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 pm

I spent a few days travelling northwestern Michigan in July. One of the best areas of the world, in my opinion. Went back to Vegas in early December. It's cold there in winter but it's always a blast. Five days/four nights and about 12 hours of sleep.

I've also been enjoying pics of SA's honeymoon trip. Great pics of really cool places.

middle aged female wrote:getting ready for the annual trek to Colorado; flight leaves at 10am tomorrow. Several road trips planned while we're there which qualifies this post for this thread.
Guanella Pass this weekend as well as Gold Hill loop and probably RMNP again with a side trip to either Estes Park or Fort Collins as well as the usual trips to Boulder, Lafayette and maybe a pumpkin patch.
Oh, and a bit of mountain gambling up at Black Hawk/Central City.

The best thing about MAF's annual Colorado trip: There will be pictures of her disturbingly hot daughters. X-post to Creepy Posts.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Craig » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 am

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/03/25/nc-homicide-suspect-arrested-ambassador-bridge/99627512/

Lowell (does anyone care about Lowell any longer?) must feel conflicted over this story. A killer from N.C. was making a border dash on the Ambassador but was discovered and captured because he lacked identification. Yeah/boo, right? Funny, as a relative local, to hear of people who believe that you just drive across an international border and encounter no more scrutiny than even a lackluster bullshit artist can sidestep.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Storm chasers with Weather Channel ties killed in 2-vehicle crash as tornadic storms move near Spur, Texas
SPUR — Three storm chasers were killed in a two-vehicle crash Tuesday afternoon in Dickens County as a line of tornadic thunderstorms moved through the South Plains.

News of the crash spread quickly through the weather-monitoring community, prompting an outpouring of support for the chasers who were from out of state, including a statement from The Weather Channel.

DPS Sgt. John Gonzalez said the crash between a Jeep and a Suburban happened about 3:30 p.m. 5 miles west of Spur at FM 2794 and FM 1081. The crash came as a line of severe storms moved through the eastern South Plains and Rolling Plains, triggering several tornado warnings, including in the Spur area, according to the National Weather Service in Lubbock. Gonzalez released a statement early Tuesday evening identifying the victims:

“The driver of the Suburban was identified as Kelley Gene Williamson, 57, of Cassville, Missouri. Mr. Williamson was ejected from the vehicle at the time of the crash. Mr. Williamson was not wearing his seat belt. The passenger in the Suburban was identified as Randall Delane Yarnall, 55, also of Cassville, Missouri. Mr. Yarnall was wearing a seat belt.

The driver of the Jeep was identified as Corbin Lee Jaeger, 25, of Peoria, Arizona.”

Williamson and Yarnall were contractors for the Weather Channel, according to a statement released by The Weather Channel late Tuesday.

“Kelley and Randy were beloved members of the weather community,” the statement reads. “We are saddened by this loss and our deepest sympathies go out to the families and loved ones of all involved.”

Investigators believe the black Suburban was traveling northbound on FM 1081 when it disregarded a stop sign and collided with the black Jeep that was traveling west on FM 2794.

“There were two drivers and one passenger in the two vehicles,” Gonzalez said in a statement. “All three occupants were pronounced deceased at the scene.”

Gonzalez confirmed all three were storm chasers.

DPS was still at the scene by 7 p.m. marking the road and taking note of debris scattered across both sides of the road.

The crash prompted statements of support from storm chasers on social media.

“Extremely bad news west of Spur TX. I’m at a scene of triple fatality accident two are storm chasers,” chaser Kat Piotrowski wrote through Twitter.

The Tornado Trackers Twitter account — managed by a handful of storm chasers — also reacted to the news.

“Terrible news coming out of Spur, TX. Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends of those involved,” a Tuesday afternoon post reads.

First off, big dramatic weather appeals to me. Maybe this harkens back to when I was a little kid seeing the tornado on the Wizard of Oz or the sudden storms that would spring up on Lake St. Clair, but regardless the loud and monstrous captures my imagination and, if one were around, heck yes I'd be one of the last to run for shelter. Having said that I say that the storm-chasing deceased are grade-A assholes for blowing a stop sign and killing some other guy happened to be in the way. I can say the same for anyone who allows their interests to jam up other people, like the inevitable gawker delay that comes with every little fender-bender. Certainly, many things are interesting and fun to peek in on, but cripes, don't burden others with your vouyerism and for fuck's-sake don't kill people because you're excited to see a funnel cloud.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Previous

Return to General Discussion