Hot Fudge Road Trips

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Road Trips

Postby MICHIGAN » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:11 am

The Beav wrote:Don't apologize to me, SRosa and I can barely handle the crowds up there anymore. We spent a good hour walking around the fish hatchery on 31 & 669. Saw the group of eagles that live there. All of a sudden half a dozen cars pull up. WTF? Even the least likely tourist area in all of NW Michigan is becoming crowded.

If the UP wasn't so damn far north... Anyways, we found a decent breakfast spot in Maple City, but even that sleepy fruit farm town is becoming crowded because of that silly La Bécasse.

Thank god for the trailer. We hid out there and swam a bit, read a ton and basically acted like 70 year olds.

I know where you were.... My BIL has a house on Maple City Road on Lime Lake.

Empire is the new Glen Arbor. Love Joe's Friendly Tavern, It will be ruined in two years...
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby The Beav » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:50 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:
The Beav wrote:Don't apologize to me, SRosa and I can barely handle the crowds up there anymore. We spent a good hour walking around the fish hatchery on 31 & 669. Saw the group of eagles that live there. All of a sudden half a dozen cars pull up. WTF? Even the least likely tourist area in all of NW Michigan is becoming crowded.

If the UP wasn't so damn far north... Anyways, we found a decent breakfast spot in Maple City, but even that sleepy fruit farm town is becoming crowded because of that silly La Bécasse.

Thank god for the trailer. We hid out there and swam a bit, read a ton and basically acted like 70 year olds.

I know where you were.... My BIL has a house on Maple City Road on Lime Lake.

Empire is the new Glen Arbor. Love Joe's Friendly Tavern, It will be ruined in two years...

I haven't been able to even get into Art's in 5 years plus.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby MICHIGAN » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:13 am

The Beav wrote:....

I haven't been able to even get into Art's in 5 years plus.

Count yourself lucky.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:47 pm

At home we're talking options for a big anniversary trip. So we're researching options. Oklahoma City is hot these days. #15 top attraction per Google: banjo museum. Sorry, make that the American Banjo Museum. If this is true then how in tbe fuck isFlint not even in the top 50?
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Beav » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:At home we're talking options for a big anniversary trip. So we're researching options. Oklahoma City is hot these days. #15 top attraction per Google: banjo museum. Sorry, make that the American Banjo Museum. If this is true then how in tbe fuck isFlint not even in the top 50?

The drinking and bathing water is a bit of a deterrent.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:14 pm

The Beav wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:At home we're talking options for a big anniversary trip. So we're researching options. Oklahoma City is hot these days. #15 top attraction per Google: banjo museum. Sorry, make that the American Banjo Museum. If this is true then how in tbe fuck isFlint not even in the top 50?

The drinking and bathing water is a bit of a deterrent.

Advertise your town as NOT having a banjo museum and it will have an advantage over OKC.

Postby jmy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:47 am

Brenda and I went to Oklahoma City on a lark a few years back. We were pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it's a major anniversary-level destination, but it's worth a trip. The weather in early March was gorgeous, the food was great, and, yes, even the banjo museum was enjoyable.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby MICHIGAN » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:59 am

When is the big trip? Would you go to Charleston? (SC, not WV)
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN

Postby middle aged female » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am

Anywhere in Colorado west of Denver is great. Eastern Colorado would be a like visiting rural Oklahoma or Nebraska. Flat and dusty.
Denver is a fantastic city with a ton to do; restaurants, museums, theater, etc. And it's a great hopping off point for the mountains.
If you want a slightly more yuppified experience, go to Boulder. I guess the Hotel Boulderado is amazing and the restaurants there, too, are incredible.
Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs sits right at the foot of Pike's Peak and has a ton of outdoorsy stuff and shopping. Rudy's BBQ from Texas just put a branch in there and there's a little place called Rasta Pasta that I love. Also, you can easily get to Sand Dunes national park from there as well as Cripple Creek if you want a little slot machine action in an Old West atmosphere.
I love Colorado. I could go on, but you get the drift.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:08 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:When is the big trip? Would you go to Charleston? (SC, not WV)

The actual date is in November, but there's leeway for the travel. Charleston, SC was mentioned, as was Colorado. My wife came up with Salt Lake City but having spent time there I vetoed it on the spot: it's not the funniest place to visit.

Our leisure travel M.O. is at odds with the way that I run other parts of life where the norm is careful measurement & deliberate forethought: usually we hit the road in possession of only a vague idea of what we will do / see. For the actual honeymoon we rented a car and started driving east through Ontario, and that was one of the best trips of my life with random discovery and encounters. Sure, I miss some things that are obvious to one with a planned itinerary, but then via this method and the road less traveled we've encountered those things that have made all of the difference or however the line goes. Abandoned wrecks of wooden sailing ships in northern Maine harbors and a Syracuse football tailgate are examples of what I mean.

Colorado, for example, came up because the thought of seeing mountains and then having some day-hike experiences sound good. Also, getting high legally was a draw, but the getting-high part is now off of the table for me as it't increasingly likely that I'll be back on the job market before too many more quarters. So a flight into Whatever-is-Available, CO could be it, and from there we're vagabonds but with credit cards.

Charleston... I flew in there once. I'd go, if only to see Fort Sumter, and then head out in a rental car to explore -what?- the salt marshes, old plantation houses, the ocean, old towns? Dunno, I'd be happy just to go.

Re: banjo museum... per the website that's $15 out of the hide of JMY. When I read aloud the description to my wife I laughed until I felt like I was having a stroke, but I get how this might be cool for some folk. Not for me, but I get it.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:09 pm

FWW my first pick is a flight to DC and then a long exploratory car trip along the shores of the Chesapeake bay. I'd love to visit Martin's Hundred

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin%27s_Hundred

Postby Morty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Mrs. Morty, daughter and I went week before last to upstate NY to collect son of Morty from Camp in a charming town called Long Lake. Way, Way up on the Adirondacks, we left I-90 around Utica, and it was all two-lane blacktop for the next long, long time. Not a single McDonalds, Subway, Arbys--none of that. Just really cool mom & pop stores and bars, an occasional marina or boat store. Beautiful country. The camp is on the lake (Long Lake) and that body of water is 14 miles long, one mile wide and surrounded by mountains, so the water was still as a millpond. We rented a cottage near town, I made some outstanding breakfast foods there (if I do say so myself). The camp was cool, and a world cheaper than Interlochen. It's not Interlochen, for those who are snooty about that camp, but we saved oh, about $5K sending the boy there. On the way home we stayed in Niagara Falls, and saw that tourist trap. My GPS REALLY wants me to go to the 402 hwy/Blue Water bridge, but that is nothing but a pain in the ass, and long, long waits at customs, no place around to take a leak. I instinctively took the 401 to Windsor, saw the final product of all that road construction there, went over Matty's broken down bridge and was second in line at customs. Nicey-nice.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:01 am

MICHIGAN wrote:When is the big trip? Would you go to Charleston? (SC, not WV)

SR and I are headed to Charleston and Savannah in the Spring.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Beav » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:04 am

jmy wrote:

Brenda and I went to Oklahoma City on a lark a few years back. We were pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it's a major anniversary-level destination, but it's worth a trip. The weather in early March was gorgeous, the food was great, and, yes, even the banjo museum was enjoyable.

SR and I didn't visit the banjo museum, but did hit up the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, which was a high light for me, since he is a personal hero of mine. We then visited Tulsa and OCK. I can agree on the food, weather and would go back in a second.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 am

Headed back up to Detroit tonight after spending all of last week up there dealing with a death in the family. This time for fun. Tour de Troit on Saturday and the fun that usually leads up to that. And helping to see The Beav out that night on his second to last shift at H?J's where I hope to get totally shitfaced on penalty shots that I'm owed and banned (again) for life
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion