Where are they now?

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Where are they now?

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Shark wrote:Apparently M.L. Curly is on parole somewhere in Metro Detroit. Hide your kids.

http://detroitsportsrag.net/dsr-warning ... e-streets/

I always wondered who that was. I had no idea he was a pederast.

Not sure if he ever went away, but one of the official scorers for the Tigers back in the 2000s was arrested for arranging to meet kids on the internet.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby pdtpuck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Shark wrote:Apparently M.L. Curly is on parole somewhere in Metro Detroit. Hide your kids.

http://detroitsportsrag.net/dsr-warning ... e-streets/

I always wondered who that was. I had no idea he was a pederast.

Not sure if he ever went away, but one of the official scorers for the Tigers back in the 2000s was arrested for arranging to meet kids on the internet.

"What's a 'pederast,' Walter?"
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby guest » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Saw a story the other day about a whole pile of new restaurants to expect this year http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles ... MRfqNLytaQ , and it got me thinking of this...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/us/10startup.html (cross to The NYTimes Loves Them a Detroit Comeback Story)

How many are still in business? How many are even still in the area? What about all those Thirty Under Thirties that Crain's makes us suffer through every year?

What about that Torya Blanchard? (Good Girls Crepes and Rodin) She went from can't-do-anything-wrong to consistently 1 star Yelp reviews, and she did it fast, before falling off the map. Where is that one now? I'd really like to know.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Tea Bag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:40 am

It's hard to keep up with all the failures. And with all the unwarranted fanfare for every start up, it's hard to know what's hype and what's for real.

For example, I offer up Rubbed. Opening was in May 2014 and got lots of press and attention. I went to see what all the hoopla was about: $14 sandwiches ("artisan", of course, but let's be honest, a ham and cheese is still a ham and cheese), made by two women who could've once been in the Indigo Girls. The furnishings were a mish mash of wobbly tables and chairs that probably came from garage sales and abandoned DPS schools. Closed, December 2016.
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Tea Bag wrote:For example, I offer up Rubbed.

I may have mentioned here that I love reading bad Yelp reviews. The closed Rubbed scored relatively well, but there's a Rub downtown that really satisfies with the one star reviews. Apparently it's near the stadium and they don't rely on return business. Then there's Townhouse (downtown, not Birmingham) which has truly horrific ratings.

I know that Yelp people aren't professionals, but if a restaurant can't average 3 stars or more they may as well give up. Especially so if it's a high end concept. If you're going to ask $20 for a burger and upcharge another dollar or two for a slice of onion or a pickle chip, you'd better well have it together. These places don't.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Did "Rubbed" open after "Rub"?
I think they may have done better had they opened in a red-light district.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Previous

Return to General Discussion