signs of spring

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: signs of spring

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 am

Mulligan wrote:
Craig wrote:Nesting cardinals kee ecking at the glass of my office. Second sign of sring may be a Daisy BB gun.

Remain vigilant. Cardinals are known to pick apart a keyboard one letter at a time.

True, but in this case the P key on my mobile is giving me trouble.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 am

Craig wrote:
Mulligan wrote:
Craig wrote:Nesting cardinals kee ecking at the glass of my office. Second sign of sring may be a Daisy BB gun.

Remain vigilant. Cardinals are known to pick apart a keyboard one letter at a time.

Maybe it should see a Urologist
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 am

middle aged female wrote:
Craig wrote:
Mulligan wrote:

It's going to see a hammer if a blast of compressed air does not take care of the problem.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 am

Craig wrote:
Craig wrote:
Mulligan wrote:

It's going to see a hammer if a blast of compressed air does not take care of the problem.

Pop the offending key off, gently, and take a q-tip with some alcohol and clean under and around the base of the key and the bottom of the key itself. Unless of course it's a $10 keyboard, then go buy a decent one.
middle aged female

Postby middle aged female » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 am

Craig wrote:
Craig wrote:
Mulligan wrote:

Pop the offending key off, gently, and take a q-tip with some alcohol and clean under and around the base of the key and the bottom of the key itself. Unless of course it's a $10 keyboard, then go buy a decent one.

Oops, disregard. I just noticed that it's a 'mobile' whatever a 'mobile' is.
middle aged female

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 pm

I always enjoy receiving the emailed list (originated by someone at CHM) of substances of abuse one might see associated with the Movement event. K2/spice got some props this year, along with an alphabet's worth of mind bending chemicals I've never heard of, but traditionalists need not despair: alcohol continues to hold its own.
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby ldodger » Sun May 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:I always enjoy receiving the emailed list (originated by someone at CHM) of substances of abuse one might see associated with the Movement event. K2/spice got some props this year, along with an alphabet's worth of mind bending chemicals I've never heard of, but traditionalists need not despair: alcohol continues to hold its own.

I have to ask: How does someone wind up in the ER from drinking alcohol? People in comas from drinking too much? I get that. Perhaps it's a drunk and disorderly charge? Sure. Someone falls and bumps their pumpkin? Understandable. But how do you tell if someone who is drinking should be in the ER?

One time, when sitting with my Dad in an ER, there was a guy who was under observation. The doctor mentioned some ungodly high alcohol number--it was so high, I didn't know people could be that drunk. I remember the doctor stating the guy should be in a coma, but he was still talking and making a nuisance of himself. I've always wondered how he ended up in the ER. I'd have left him at home/in the gutter/at the curb to sleep it off.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby middle aged female » Sun May 27, 2012 3:25 pm

ldodger wrote:
Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:I always enjoy receiving the emailed list (originated by someone at CHM) of substances of abuse one might see associated with the Movement event. K2/spice got some props this year, along with an alphabet's worth of mind bending chemicals I've never heard of, but traditionalists need not despair: alcohol continues to hold its own.

I have to ask: How does someone wind up in the ER from drinking alcohol? People in comas from drinking too much? I get that. Perhaps it's a drunk and disorderly charge? Sure. Someone falls and bumps their pumpkin? Understandable. But how do you tell if someone who is drinking should be in the ER?

One time, when sitting with my Dad in an ER, there was a guy who was under observation. The doctor mentioned some ungodly high alcohol number--it was so high, I didn't know people could be that drunk. I remember the doctor stating the guy should be in a coma, but he was still talking and making a nuisance of himself. I've always wondered how he ended up in the ER. I'd have left him at home/in the gutter/at the curb to sleep it off.

If the police pulled him over for drunk driving and he blew an "ungodly high alcohol number" they may not have wanted to be responsible for him in lockup. So they took him to emergency to be under observation until they could safely take responsibility for him. Also, over-imbibing can cause symptoms you may not associate with being drunk; respiratory distress, inability to walk or move about correctly among others. Also, people get popped for drunk in public, not just drunk driving, and they may have been so drunk that, again, the cops don't want to be responsible if they go into a coma or alcohol related distress.
Alcohol poisoning is another fun filled factor in all of this. You leave someone to "sleep it off" in the gutter or whatever and they may not wake up.
middle aged female

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm

ldodger wrote:

If the police pulled him over for drunk driving and he blew an "ungodly high alcohol number" they may not have wanted to be responsible for him in lockup. So they took him to emergency to be under observation until they could safely take responsibility for him. Also, over-imbibing can cause symptoms you may not associate with being drunk; respiratory distress, inability to walk or move about correctly among others. Also, people get popped for drunk in public, not just drunk driving, and they may have been so drunk that, again, the cops don't want to be responsible if they go into a coma or alcohol related distress.
Alcohol poisoning is another fun filled factor in all of this. You leave someone to "sleep it off" in the gutter or whatever and they may not wake up.

These "ungodly high alcohol numbers" are only ungodly high for amateurs. A seasoned drunk will tilt the machine and you might not guess they've had so much as a thimbleful.

I have to execute the occasional blood warrant, mostly for the MSP as DPD doesn't have time to bothered with this shit, and most of the time the cops give them a notice to appear and cut them loose.

Most of the players we see are chronics and we know them by name. Some come in as many as two or three times a day. We don't always draw a level because then we're obligated to keep them until clinically sober. It takes 4 hours to metabalize 100mg/dl (0.1%) so if they're say at 300mg/dl that's 12 hours babysitting them, listening to their shit and watching them piss themselves, and then we have to get them out to get their drink on before they start seizing. At any given time we'll have several patients whose only problem is being drunk (and a lot more who are drunk but that's not their chief issue). DPD has no such thing as a drunk tank so they all get dumped on the ERs.
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby middle aged female » Sun May 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:
ldodger wrote:

These "ungodly high alcohol numbers" are only ungodly high for amateurs. A seasoned drunk will tilt the machine and you might not guess they've had so much as a thimbleful.

I have to execute the occasional blood warrant, mostly for the MSP as DPD doesn't have time to bothered with this shit, and most of the time the cops give them a notice to appear and cut them loose.

Most of the players we see are chronics and we know them by name. Some come in as many as two or three times a day. We don't always draw a level because then we're obligated to keep them until clinically sober. It takes 4 hours to metabalize 100mg/dl (0.1%) so if they're say at 300mg/dl that's 12 hours babysitting them, listening to their shit and watching them piss themselves, and then we have to get them out to get their drink on before they start seizing. At any given time we'll have several patients whose only problem is being drunk (and a lot more who are drunk but that's not their chief issue). DPD has no such thing as a drunk tank so they all get dumped on the ERs.

So, basically, DPD just releases them to the ER until the ER personnel deems them to be in shape to be released. Do you get many alcohol poisonings or are your clientele usually beyond being affected to that extent? Or do they just have to imbibe so much that they just keel over dead without all the intermediate bullshit?
middle aged female

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sun May 27, 2012 6:37 pm

middle aged female wrote:So, basically, DPD just releases them to the ER until the ER personnel deems them to be in shape to be released. Do you get many alcohol poisonings or are your clientele usually beyond being affected to that extent? Or do they just have to imbibe so much that they just keel over dead without all the intermediate bullshit?

Alcohol poisoning? Like the guy who does 21 shots on his 21st birthday, or the kid who gets into the liquor cabinet and chugs a tumbler of vodka, requiring aggressive measures which may include intubation? Very rarely. Like maybe I've seen that twice in a dozen years. Actually, I'd like to intubate some of them. It'd be a lot less trouble.
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue May 29, 2012 9:52 am

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:12 hours babysitting them, listening to their shit and watching them piss themselves, and then we have to get them out to get their drink on before they start seizing.

My wife told stories of when she was in a medical unit at DMC and they would have beakers of alcohol on the med cart from the hospital pharmacy. It was easier, I guess, to medicate the serious alcoholics with liquor and keep them from spazzing than to just strap them down and close the door.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Tue May 29, 2012 10:42 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:12 hours babysitting them, listening to their shit and watching them piss themselves, and then we have to get them out to get their drink on before they start seizing.

My wife told stories of when she was in a medical unit at DMC and they would have beakers of alcohol on the med cart from the hospital pharmacy. It was easier, I guess, to medicate the serious alcoholics with liquor and keep them from spazzing than to just strap them down and close the door.

I've heard of this kind of thing but that's all inpatient stuff so I wouldn't know. I do know that full blown DTs are something. A hardcore case can absorb ridiculous amounts of Ativan or Valium. One of my earliest experiences, I had given him a stupid amount of Ativan and started him on a drip and then he stopped moving and I though oh fuck I killed this guy so I touched him and he went off like a Tasmanian devil again. Mmmmmmkay, time to bump up that drip.

These people end up in an ICU and it's hard to tip a glass when you're chemically snowed and sporting leather restraints.
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby middle aged female » Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 am

I saw one instance of DT's and never want to see that again. Chick went into fullblown seizure; scared the shit out of me
middle aged female

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:

I've heard of this kind of thing but that's all inpatient stuff so I wouldn't know. I do know that full blown DTs are something. A hardcore case can absorb ridiculous amounts of Ativan or Valium. One of my earliest experiences, I had given him a stupid amount of Ativan and started him on a drip and then he stopped moving and I though oh fuck I killed this guy so I touched him and he went off like a Tasmanian devil again. Mmmmmmkay, time to bump up that drip.

These people end up in an ICU and it's hard to tip a glass when you're chemically snowed and sporting leather restraints.

My wife is a skinny little thing from the suburbs, so it's long amused me that someone with that pedigree (and so young, at the time) had to deal with louts, behomeths, people bouncing off of walls, and everything else. Comes with the territory, I guess.

When I went through my big career changed years ago I interviewed at a research facility at the DMC. Maybe I've already shared this, but bear with me if I haven't. Anyway, I met with the directors of a sleep-deprivation clinic for a research assistant's position. The whole time I was interviewing I was like "what in the hell am I doing here?" but a job is a job, and I needed one. One of the directors shared that the research subjects were, by definition, not well-rested and as a result could be challenging, so would difficult people present a problem for me? "Absolutely not," I said. "I grew up in Brightmoor and so long as these patients don't have access to beer bottles or bike chains then I can handle 'em." Didn't get the gig.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion