HFD Embarrassments

About all things in and around the Detroit area

HFD Embarrassments

Postby D-Day » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Did this thread get lost in the last version of HFD?? In any event, more of an avoidance of embarrassment than an embarrassment.....

(18 1/2 year old)D-Day II's trying to grow his hair long and now he looks like he's wearing a flippin' Justin Bieber helmet......

Mrs D-Day to the Prodigal D-Day: D-Day II has an extra ticket to the Cinci Cyclones tonight....you wanna go with him?
Prodigal D-Day to Mrs. D-Day: No, he looks like Justin Bieber. He embarrasses me......I don't want to be seen in public with a Justin Bieber lookalike

(Two hours Later as D-Day comes home from work)

Mrs D-Day: D-Day II has an extra ticket to the Cinci Cyclones tonight....you wanna go with him?
D-Day: No, he looks like Justin Bieber. He embarrasses me......I don't want to be seen in public with a Justin Bieber lookalike
Mrs. D-Day: Did you and the Prodigal D-Day talk about this beforehand? Because one of you needs to drive him or he won't be able to go
D-Day: No....Why?
Mrs. D-Day: Because the Prodigal D-Day said the same thing you did verbatim
D-Day: Well, that's life when you look like you're wearing a Justin Bieber helmet..........maybe he should get a haircut or, better yet, you take him
Mrs. D-Day: Yeah....he does kind of look like Justin Bieber, doesn't he.....

Puck drop was an hour ago........D-Day II, the Prodigal D-Day, Mrs. D-Day and I are still here.......
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Re: HFD Embarrassments

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 am

D-Day wrote:Did this thread get lost in the last version of HFD?? In any event, more of an avoidance of embarrassment than an embarrassment.....

(18 1/2 year old)D-Day II's trying to grow his hair long and now he looks like he's wearing a flippin' Justin Bieber helmet......

Mrs D-Day to the Prodigal D-Day: D-Day II has an extra ticket to the Cinci Cyclones tonight....you wanna go with him?
Prodigal D-Day to Mrs. D-Day: No, he looks like Justin Bieber. He embarrasses me......I don't want to be seen in public with a Justin Bieber lookalike

Mrs D-Day: D-Day II has an extra ticket to the Cinci Cyclones tonight....you wanna go with him?
D-Day: No, he looks like Justin Bieber. He embarrasses me......I don't want to be seen in public with a Justin Bieber lookalike
Mrs. D-Day: Did you and the Prodigal D-Day talk about this beforehand? Because one of you needs to drive him or he won't be able to go
D-Day: Well, that's life when you look like you're wearing a Justin Bieber helmet..........maybe he should get a haircut or, better yet, you take him

Puck drop was an hour ago........D-Day II, the Prodigal D-Day, Mrs. D-Day and I are still here.......

Just remember, your children will pick your nursing home.
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby higgs1634 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Sterile Whites 48313 wrote:
D-Day wrote:Did this thread get lost in the last version of HFD?? In any event, more of an avoidance of embarrassment than an embarrassment.....

Why can't 18 1/2 yr old beiber wannabe drive himself to the game?
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:20 pm

higgs1634 wrote:

Something to do with other people in the stands picking on him for aforementioned hairstyle?
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Craig wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:

Something to do with other people in the stands picking on him for aforementioned hairstyle?

Just pull a "Jackass" on him and skip the back of his head with a dog clippers....he'll have no choice but to get it all buzzed off to even it out. Best done while he sleeps.
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby D-Day » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Craig wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:

He doesn't own a car yet and, well, he's not taking either one of ours as Mrs. D-Day caught him smoking in her car and he's lucky he's still alive let alone having a ride to work. Mine's a stick and I got the, "Whatever," treatment when I tried to teach him. Apparently none of his friends are hockey fans enough to have wanted to go either. He ended up eating the ticket....No worries, though, as he got them from someone at his work and isn't out any money.

I like the "Jackass" idea. I'm sure I could have gotten his brother to do it. Unfortunately, the beiber helmet is gone. He finally got his hair cut tonight
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Roquefort Robert » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 am

Union: Guard at federal building stored package found to be bomb for 3 weeks

A security officer at the McNamara Federal Building stored a suspicious package that turned out to contain a bomb for three weeks before alerting authorities, said a spokesman for a union that represents guards at the site, who called the incident "a total embarrassment."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110323/MET ... z1HP9zCzc2
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby thunderstruck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Too lazy to cut-n-paste, but Charles Pugh's comment about wanting to count in the census those in prison outside Detroit who will soon be returning to Detroit was a doozy.
thunderstruck
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby vlad the impaler » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Detroit anchorman Mort Crim inspired Ferrell's 'Ron Burgundy'

Adam Graham
The Detroit News

Ron Burgundy is everywhere, but Ron Burgundy wouldn’t be Ron Burgundy without Mort Crim.

“Anchorman” star Will Ferrell recently told the New York Times that his bloated, egotistical, wildman news anchor character is inspired by Crim, who spent nearly 20 years anchoring the news on WDIV-TV (Channel 4) between 1978 and 1997.

Ferrell says he drew his inspiration from a documentary about former broadcaster Jessica Savitch, one of the first women anchors in the television news business, whom Crim worked with in Philadelphia prior to landing in Detroit. In the documentary, Crim described being not-so-nice to Savitch, and admitting to being a “real male chauvinist pig” in pitch-perfect newsman-ese.

Crim, reached Wednesday by phone from his home in Florida, says he’s been aware he inspired the Burgundy character since Ferrell mentioned it during the promotional rounds for the first “Anchorman” film in 2004. “I enjoy a parody and a satire as much as the next person,” says Crim, mentioning he’s a big fan of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. “I think all of us need to be able to laugh at ourselves, and I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly.”

The Majic Windows pitchman says he enjoyed the first “Anchorman” film and said it did a good job of satirizing the era. When it came time for the second film, Crim says Ferrell’s agent reached out and requested an autographed head shot to give to Ferrell at the end of filming. “I wrote, ‘Dear Will, you’ve almost got it. A little more authenticity. Your friend, the real Anchorman, Mort Crim.’ ”

Crim says he got an immediate response that Ferrell loved it — so much so that he extended an invite to next week’s New York premiere of “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.” Crim plans to attend the event, along with his wife, where he hopes to meet Ferrell for the first time.

In addition to inspiring Burgundy, Crim also appeared on “Little Acorns,” a track from the White Stripes’ 2003 album “Elephant.” Both are a nice feather in the cap for the 78-year-old.

“I don’t consider myself a part of pop culture at my age,” he says. “So it’s just kind of fun to have my kids and my grandkids be impressed.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2mY1mEU8E

First Kwame was the template for Chris Rock's farce as hip hop president in Head of State and now this? When did we become a fountain of archetypes for Hollywood to parody?

Crim seems proud to be the model for bumbling misogynist Ron Burgundy. Does he not get it?
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:47 am

You wouldn't think that ol' Mort could have been a dick, what with the perpetual dim-bulb slight grin and the melodious voice, but they don't call actors "actors" because they're transparent. In my work I've dealt with many "talent" as we call them, and the feature that links the better ones is the ability to figuratively flip a switch and go into character. One standout was a man that we had on a PA system doing annoncements and running commentary at an outdoor exhibit at the Daytona 500. The guy would be on mike for hours just bubbling with joy and excitement in his radio voice, but when he'd break you would swear that he was clinically depressed unto the point of being in tears. An even better one was a guy who could go into character even when staggering drunk. He was an on-camera guy and at a particular industry event he was in the aforemetioned state, slinging around glasses of champagne and giving off the sloppy-drunk vibe. But when the lights went on will overcame wine and he was back, albeit for only a few minutes before we wrapped. So Mort, the trusted voice of WDIV as a shithead off camera? 100% possible.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:You wouldn't think that ol' Mort could have been a dick, what with the perpetual dim-bulb slight grin and the melodious voice, but they don't call actors "actors" because they're transparent. In my work I've dealt with many "talent" as we call them, and the feature that links the better ones is the ability to figuratively flip a switch and go into character. One standout was a man that we had on a PA system doing annoncements and running commentary at an outdoor exhibit at the Daytona 500. The guy would be on mike for hours just bubbling with joy and excitement in his radio voice, but when he'd break you would swear that he was clinically depressed unto the point of being in tears. An even better one was a guy who could go into character even when staggering drunk. He was an on-camera guy and at a particular industry event he was in the aforemetioned state, slinging around glasses of champagne and giving off the sloppy-drunk vibe. But when the lights went on will overcame wine and he was back, albeit for only a few minutes before we wrapped. So Mort, the trusted voice of WDIV as a shithead off camera? 100% possible.

The stories of Mort Crim are legion: He'd badger producers before he was an anchor and always was angling for the meatiest stories. One conversation with a PA went something like this:
Mort: "That was a pretty nice story you gave (some other reporter), what do you have for me?"
PA: "Contempt."

He apparently toned his shit down by the time he arrived in Detroit, but was famous in Philly for his tantrums and shenanigans ... though I've never heard stories involving drinking or drugs, so there's that.

Bill Kurtis, who was pretty much the Mort Crim of Chicago in the late 70s and early 80s, was cut from the same cloth; pretty much a nightmare for anyone that had to work with him.

That's all in the past now. There's no need for the Bill Bonds-type local news anchor because no one watches the local news anymore, save old folks and the early riser checking on the traffic and weather before they leave for work. Travel to most any mid-size to large media market today and you'll have trouble distinguishing one news team from the next.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Morty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:44 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:You wouldn't think that ol' Mort could have been a dick, what with the perpetual dim-bulb slight grin and the melodious voice, but they don't call actors "actors" because they're transparent. In my work I've dealt with many "talent" as we call them, and the feature that links the better ones is the ability to figuratively flip a switch and go into character. One standout was a man that we had on a PA system doing annoncements and running commentary at an outdoor exhibit at the Daytona 500. The guy would be on mike for hours just bubbling with joy and excitement in his radio voice, but when he'd break you would swear that he was clinically depressed unto the point of being in tears. An even better one was a guy who could go into character even when staggering drunk. He was an on-camera guy and at a particular industry event he was in the aforemetioned state, slinging around glasses of champagne and giving off the sloppy-drunk vibe. But when the lights went on will overcame wine and he was back, albeit for only a few minutes before we wrapped. So Mort, the trusted voice of WDIV as a shithead off camera? 100% possible.

I always thought that the Ron Burgundy character was based somewhat on Bill Bonds. I guess every major market had a Bill Bonds once upon a time.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Still, it's understandable how those old line guys could behave badly, just a stars today fall into it. Their egos are stoked from two sides, the company and the public, and under circumstances where the self-centered have their aggrandizing narrative reinforced it may be inevitable that the "Mort" or "Bill" acts out. Think about it, if your program brings in ratings and thereby ad revenue then you are gold to the station and will be rewarded and treated as such. And the public is notorious for being star-fuckers, or at least swooning in the presence of faces from TV. I won't excuse the bad behavior, but I can see how the environment makes it less necessary to think about the little things, like being pleasant to underlings.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Toolbox » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:30 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote: An even better one was a guy who could go into character even when staggering drunk. He was an on-camera guy and at a particular industry event he was in the aforemetioned state, slinging around glasses of champagne and giving off the sloppy-drunk vibe. But when the lights went on will overcame wine and he was back, albeit for only a few minutes before we wrapped. So Mort, the trusted voice of WDIV as a shithead off camera? 100% possible.

Sub junk for wine and you have described a Hole show. Courtney Love was carried into St Andrews by a couple of street entrepreneurs unconscious 5 minutes before set time. She was carried to the stage, a guitar was shoved in her hands, the lights went up and she performed a flawless set, for Hole at least.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm

If this thread exists as a companion to Hot Fudge Embarrassments, shouldn't we give it a sub-title?
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Next

Return to General Discussion