HFD The End of Times

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby vlad the impaler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:20 am

Big cat has northeast Detroit neighborhood on edge

Ambling down the block a couple of weeks ago with his 1-year-old daughter perched on his shoulders, Antwaun Asberry sensed something was behind him.

He turned around and spotted a tall creature that appeared to be a cat, only a lot bigger.

“His tail is longer than my arm,” Asberry, a 6-foot-5 Detroiter with a lanky build, said of the cat. “I was like, what the (expletive) ... I don’t know what it is. I just want it gone.”

So do other residents in the northeast Detroit neighborhood, who said they’re unnerved by this supersize cat roaming the streets in recent weeks. They’ve tried calling Detroit police and Animal Control, but have gotten no response. On Friday, the Michigan Humane Society said it will investigate the case and try to find the cat.

“We’re going to put some effort into this,” said Nancy Gunnigle, a director with the Humane Society. Cats this size, she said, are “not easy to catch.”

The area around Joann Street south of 8 Mile doesn’t have roaming dogs — an issue publicized in news media reports this past week.

It’s the cat that has bothered residents.

In some places, people might buy exotic cats illegally as a way to show off, said Tom McPhee, executive director of the World Animal Awareness Society, based in Ann Arbor.

“It’s part of the culture,” McPhee said. “You’re showing off your exotic cat because you can and you have the money.”

It’s unclear whether the cat is feral or domesticated and what breed it is, Gunnigle said. A photo taken by Nathan McGuire, 47, of Detroit shows the cat to be gray with black marks.

Last Saturday, his 12-year-old ran in the house screaming after spotting the big cat, McGuire said. McGuire rushed out to find the cat, but it scampered away. A few days ago, he spotted it outside his home on the corner of Joann and Fairmount, its yellow eyes starting back at him.

“I’ve never seen a cat that big — even on TV,” McGuire said.

Paul Hatley, 14, ran into the cat a few days ago while walking down Joann, where St. Raymond-Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church anchors the block.

“It wasn’t normal,” he said of the big cat. “It didn’t run away like normal cat. It just stared at you. ... It was scary.”

The cat was about 4 feet tall, Asberry said. Others said it was shorter than that. It’s on the skinny side and arched its back when approached by his mother, Asberry said.

A leader with the neighborhood association where the cat is roaming said several residents have contacted him after seeing the big feline.

“I’m really concerned,” said Vondell Boyer, 55, vice president of the Greenbrier Council. Boyer and other residents said they’re worried that if the cat runs out of rabbits, squirrels and other small critters to eat, it will target small kids.

McPhee, who is helping conduct a study of stray dogs in Detroit, said there are about 10-20 stray cats in the city for every stray dog. A recent report said there are 50,000 stray dogs, but he said the actual figure is much lower.

Detroit Animal Control could not be reached for comment Friday. Cities and counties, such as Oakland County, have discontinued programs aimed at rounding up stray cats in recent years because of tightening budgets.

While stray dogs are usually seen as the bigger threat, this cat is the problem for now for residents on Joann Street.

“When I first seen it, he looked at me,” Asberry said. “I looked at him. He walked like he ain’t scared of nothing.

“This thing is out here, bro.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20130824/N ... it-big-cat

Cheetahs are here now.

One positive aspect to this Detroit de-evolution is that empty houses, previously safe houses for scrappers, drug users, and child abductors, are now carnivore lairs. Imagine how safe the neighborhoods will be when the grizzly bears and mountain lions arrive....
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby middle aged female » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:41 am

vlad the impaler wrote:
Big cat has northeast Detroit neighborhood on edge

Ambling down the block a couple of weeks ago with his 1-year-old daughter perched on his shoulders, Antwaun Asberry sensed something was behind him.

He turned around and spotted a tall creature that appeared to be a cat, only a lot bigger.

“His tail is longer than my arm,” Asberry, a 6-foot-5 Detroiter with a lanky build, said of the cat. “I was like, what the (expletive) ... I don’t know what it is. I just want it gone.”

So do other residents in the northeast Detroit neighborhood, who said they’re unnerved by this supersize cat roaming the streets in recent weeks. They’ve tried calling Detroit police and Animal Control, but have gotten no response. On Friday, the Michigan Humane Society said it will investigate the case and try to find the cat.

“We’re going to put some effort into this,” said Nancy Gunnigle, a director with the Humane Society. Cats this size, she said, are “not easy to catch.”

The area around Joann Street south of 8 Mile doesn’t have roaming dogs — an issue publicized in news media reports this past week.

It’s the cat that has bothered residents.

In some places, people might buy exotic cats illegally as a way to show off, said Tom McPhee, executive director of the World Animal Awareness Society, based in Ann Arbor.

“It’s part of the culture,” McPhee said. “You’re showing off your exotic cat because you can and you have the money.”

It’s unclear whether the cat is feral or domesticated and what breed it is, Gunnigle said. A photo taken by Nathan McGuire, 47, of Detroit shows the cat to be gray with black marks.

Last Saturday, his 12-year-old ran in the house screaming after spotting the big cat, McGuire said. McGuire rushed out to find the cat, but it scampered away. A few days ago, he spotted it outside his home on the corner of Joann and Fairmount, its yellow eyes starting back at him.

“I’ve never seen a cat that big — even on TV,” McGuire said.

Paul Hatley, 14, ran into the cat a few days ago while walking down Joann, where St. Raymond-Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church anchors the block.

“It wasn’t normal,” he said of the big cat. “It didn’t run away like normal cat. It just stared at you. ... It was scary.”

The cat was about 4 feet tall, Asberry said. Others said it was shorter than that. It’s on the skinny side and arched its back when approached by his mother, Asberry said.

A leader with the neighborhood association where the cat is roaming said several residents have contacted him after seeing the big feline.

“I’m really concerned,” said Vondell Boyer, 55, vice president of the Greenbrier Council. Boyer and other residents said they’re worried that if the cat runs out of rabbits, squirrels and other small critters to eat, it will target small kids.

McPhee, who is helping conduct a study of stray dogs in Detroit, said there are about 10-20 stray cats in the city for every stray dog. A recent report said there are 50,000 stray dogs, but he said the actual figure is much lower.

Detroit Animal Control could not be reached for comment Friday. Cities and counties, such as Oakland County, have discontinued programs aimed at rounding up stray cats in recent years because of tightening budgets.

While stray dogs are usually seen as the bigger threat, this cat is the problem for now for residents on Joann Street.

“When I first seen it, he looked at me,” Asberry said. “I looked at him. He walked like he ain’t scared of nothing.

“This thing is out here, bro.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20130824/N ... it-big-cat

Cheetahs are here now.

One positive aspect to this Detroit de-evolution is that empty houses, previously safe houses for scrappers, drug users, and child abductors, are now carnivore lairs. Imagine how safe the neighborhoods will be when the grizzly bears and mountain lions arrive....

Maybe it will take care of the stray dog population:
Here, doggy, doggy, doggy
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

HFD The End of Times? Metro Times, perhaps.

Postby The Fickle Finger » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 pm

End of Times, indeed.
The company that owns the Metro Times told its Detroit staff this morning the paper is for sale, throwing the future of the 33-year-old alternative weekly into doubt.

Few details were available; employees were told not to speak to the media.

A lively presence in Detroit since 1980, the Metro Times has won numerous awards for its coverage of local culture and news. But like all print publications, it has suffered a loss of ad revenue in recent years and, in turn, a dwindling staff.

The longtime editor, W. Kim Heron, resigned in December.

The paper is owned by Times-Shamrock Communications of Scranton, Penn., that owns newspapers, radio stations in several states and alternative weeklies like Metro Times in Orlando, Baltimore and San Antonio.

Come back to Deadline Detroit for further coverage today.
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

Re: HFD The End of Times? Metro Times, perhaps.

Postby The Beav » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:29 pm

The Fickle Finger wrote:End of Times, indeed.
The company that owns the Metro Times told its Detroit staff this morning the paper is for sale, throwing the future of the 33-year-old alternative weekly into doubt.

A lively presence in Detroit since 1980, the Metro Times has won numerous awards for its coverage of local culture and news. But like all print publications, it has suffered a loss of ad revenue in recent years and, in turn, a dwindling staff.

The paper is owned by Times-Shamrock Communications of Scranton, Penn., that owns newspapers, radio stations in several states and alternative weeklies like Metro Times in Orlando, Baltimore and San Antonio.

I wonder what D-Nerd will do now? Weep for the world's wisdom?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

The Beav wrote:

Doesn't the sanctimonious prick write for them?
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Beav » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:59 pm

D-Day wrote:
The Beav wrote:

Yup. I wonder what he does for a living, though.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Stosh Kielbasa » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

The Beav wrote:
D-Day wrote:
The Beav wrote:

Yup. I wonder what he does for a living, though.

It must be eating him fucking alive not to be able to post about this.
Niech żyje reinkarnacja!
Stosh Kielbasa
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mad Max » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 am

Michigan GOP Introduces Eat-Your-Roadkill Law

Yep, you could tag, claim and cook your roadkill if Michigan Senators Darwin Booher (R-35) and John Pappageorge (R-13) have their way. Today they introduced an important piece of legislation to fight hunger in the state of Michigan. Senate Bill 613 would allow the driver of a car to have first dibs on the animal they hit. All they must do is file for a salvage tag to collect and consume their tasty vehicular bounty.

With about 60,000 deer-car collisions every year in the Great Lakes state, and deer ranging between 200 and 300 pounds each — that adds up to some prime eatin’.

Fire-up the barbecue Clem!

Too bad the proposed legislation excludes birds. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, that would have been a real treat. The wild turkey population in the state has exploded in recent years. The species could benefit from a little bumper to bird action — just not too hard though, because they really do explode. But alas, we’re stuck with our frozen Butterballs and the liquid version of Wild Turkey.

So folks, if the good Senators have their way, we can all get out there — hit the highways at dusk and dawn, and put a little something special on the family table.

http://www.democracy-tree.com/michigan-gop-senators-introduce-eat-roadkill-law/

My cousin's husband is known as Roadkill Bill in the east coast town where they live, because he'll pull over to collect dead deer on the side of the road for meat. He once threw the carcass on the hood of his car, and didn't immediately wash the blood off of it, just as the local news was reporting the hit-and-run of a small child.
Mad Max
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby higgs1634 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 am

I had no idea this wasn't legal. It's not just rednecks doing it. A housemate in college dated this uber-eco-vegan "meat is murder"-hippie chick (pretty much a walking stereotype...hairy armpits, dreds, slightly smelly..) This was back in the days just before the ubiquity of cells phones and whenever there was a roadkill event of significance anywhere relatively close to MSU, she would get a call. It was like a snow day phone tree we had in elementary school... everyone on the list was responsible to call the next one the list until someone committed to pick it up. up until then, I had no idea people ate roadkill. She said they did it because it was the only way to ethically eat meat.

I did not partake.

side issue... as this is the "end of times" thread... I was over at a friend's place last night. over the evening it came out that he has become a bit of a "prepper". He has several months of food and supplies stored and various "bug out bags" and plans all prepped and ready as well as a significant arsenal. This guy is a long time friend and a regular, even keeled, easy going type person and not at all a nutjob.... that was turn I did not expect.
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Roadkill venison is fine: had it many times. I have a buddy up here with an inside track on fresh ones: two BILs who are cops in semi-rural communities. Sometimes the call comes in the middle of the night, and my pal is up and on it. Depending upon the hit the meat may be beat beyond consumption or hardly damaged at all. Either way, I've had plenty of venison sausage sourced to roadkills and I'm alive to tell the story.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby D-Day » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:18 pm

I used to work for a lawn service when I was in college and the guy who was the mechanic for the trucks and mowers (yes, that picture you have in your mind's eye of someone straight out of Deliverance is correct) used to sit and listen to a police scanner in his trailer for calls that a deer had been hit on 96. He'd then jump in his truck and go get the carcass

Disgusting.....
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby D-Day » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I used to work for a lawn service when I was in college and the guy who was the mechanic for the trucks and mowers (yes, that picture you have in your mind's eye of someone straight out of Deliverance is correct) used to sit and listen to a police scanner in his trailer for calls that an animal (any animal) had been hit on 96. He'd then jump in his truck and go get the carcass. This was his idea of fun on a any given night........

Disgusting.....
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby RoryKasel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Mad Max wrote:

Yep, you could tag, claim and cook your roadkill if Michigan Senators Darwin Booher (R-35) and John Pappageorge (R-13) have their way. Today they introduced an important piece of legislation to fight hunger in the state of Michigan. Senate Bill 613 would allow the driver of a car to have first dibs on the animal they hit. All they must do is file for a salvage tag to collect and consume their tasty vehicular bounty.

With about 60,000 deer-car collisions every year in the Great Lakes state, and deer ranging between 200 and 300 pounds each — that adds up to some prime eatin’.

Too bad the proposed legislation excludes birds. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, that would have been a real treat. The wild turkey population in the state has exploded in recent years. The species could benefit from a little bumper to bird action — just not too hard though, because they really do explode. But alas, we’re stuck with our frozen Butterballs and the liquid version of Wild Turkey.

So folks, if the good Senators have their way, we can all get out there — hit the highways at dusk and dawn, and put a little something special on the family table.

My cousin's husband is known as Roadkill Bill in the east coast town where they live, because he'll pull over to collect dead deer on the side of the road for meat. He once threw the carcass on the hood of his car, and didn't immediately wash the blood off of it, just as the local news was reporting the hit-and-run of a small child.

This law is already on the books and has been for decades.
5.10 Highway killed deer and bear permit, issuance; prohibited acts.
Sec. 5.10 (1) A deer or bear killed by collision with a motor vehicle, or so injured that it must be killed, may be possessed by a person only if that person
has obtained a highway killed deer and bear permit. The highway killed deer and bear permit may be issued by a police or peace officer investigating the motor vehicle collision upon a form prescribed by the director according to the following rules:
(a) The driver of the damaged vehicle shall have first priority to the highway killed deer or bear.
(b) A highway killed deer and bear permit shall not be issued to possess a spotted fawn or cub bear.
(c) A person possessing a highway killed deer or bear shall immediately produce the highway killed deer and bear permit upon the demand of a conservation officer or peace officer. Within 24 hours following the issuance of a highway killed deer and bear permit, a person possessing a highway killed deer or bear carcass shall securely attach the permit to the carcass. The permit shall remain attached until the carcass is processed or butchered for consumption.
(2) A permit authorized under this section may be issued by a conservation officer to dispose of the carcass of a deer or bear which was otherwise accidentally or unlawfully taken, or unlawfully possessed.
History: Eff. Mar 31, 1989; Am. 15, 1989, Eff. Sep 1, 1989; Am. 3, 1996, Eff. Apr 11, 1996

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ChapterV_128589_7.pdf
RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby RoryKasel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:45 pm

RoryKasel wrote:
Mad Max wrote:

This law is already on the books and has been for decades.
5.10 Highway killed deer and bear permit, issuance; prohibited acts.
Sec. 5.10 (1) A deer or bear killed by collision with a motor vehicle, or so injured that it must be killed, may be possessed by a person only if that person
has obtained a highway killed deer and bear permit. The highway killed deer and bear permit may be issued by a police or peace officer investigating the motor vehicle collision upon a form prescribed by the director according to the following rules:
(a) The driver of the damaged vehicle shall have first priority to the highway killed deer or bear.
(b) A highway killed deer and bear permit shall not be issued to possess a spotted fawn or cub bear.
(c) A person possessing a highway killed deer or bear shall immediately produce the highway killed deer and bear permit upon the demand of a conservation officer or peace officer. Within 24 hours following the issuance of a highway killed deer and bear permit, a person possessing a highway killed deer or bear carcass shall securely attach the permit to the carcass. The permit shall remain attached until the carcass is processed or butchered for consumption.
(2) A permit authorized under this section may be issued by a conservation officer to dispose of the carcass of a deer or bear which was otherwise accidentally or unlawfully taken, or unlawfully possessed.
History: Eff. Mar 31, 1989; Am. 15, 1989, Eff. Sep 1, 1989; Am. 3, 1996, Eff. Apr 11, 1996

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ChapterV_128589_7.pdf

Cross to Late To The Party
RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Catfish Jim » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:05 pm

If their are 300 pound deers in this state, I aint seen none. Mebbe they get up too 230, tops and thats only during a good acorn year.

Too bad the proposed legislation excludes birds.

Darn tootin. I wuld take teriyaki hawk wings over chicken wings any day of the weak..
Catfish Jim
Worst HFD character ever

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion