HFD The End of Times

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby RoryKasel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Catfish Jim wrote:
With about 60,000 deer-car collisions every year in the Great Lakes state, and deer ranging between 200 and 300 pounds each — that adds up to some prime eatin’.


If their are 300 pound deers in this state, I aint seen none. Mebbe they get up too 230, tops and thats only during a good acorn year.

Too bad the proposed legislation excludes birds.


Darn tootin. I wuld take teriyaki hawk wings over chicken wings any day of the weak..


If left in the sun for a couple days most deer will bloat enough to look to be 300 lbs though. Just once I'd like to see the first crow dig into one of those roadside piñatas.
RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby Mud Bug » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:06 pm

RoryKasel wrote:If left in the sun for a couple days most deer will bloat enough to look to be 300 lbs though. Just once I'd like to see the first crow dig into one of those roadside piñatas.


I think I told this story here before: one time, a couple of summers ago, I witnessed a county road worker on a big mower hit a sun-cooked doe on a suburban median. The carcass basically exploded and parts flew everywhere. Those guys must be told to avoid nothing that isn't cement or post.
User avatar
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:06 am

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby guest » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:26 am

The Post-Post-Apocalyptic Detroit


this NY Times Magazine piece looks to be pretty long (like most NYTimes Mag articles are)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/magazine/the-post-post-apocalyptic-detroit.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

if it mentions Slows and/or Phillip Cooley I may have to hurt somebody
User avatar
guest
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am
Location: the old windmill

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby Tea Bag » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:16 am

I scanned it and saw it was a fluff piece with the usual names- Gilbert, Cooley, etc. Nothing new In it for any of us, but it's not written for us.
User avatar
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:45 pm

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby guest » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:57 pm

courtesy of Deadline Detroit, here's 14 minutes of about a hundred kids going Mad Max with 4-wheelers and dirt bikes and minichoppers on Livernois and around Southwest

it takes about 3 mins for them to really get going http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles ... F1XR2ca__g

at 7:45 The Man makes at cameo, and another at around 10:45, but even their Penske cars are pretty much overwhelmed

edit: think I saw a Crown Vic at about 6:20, it took another 1:20 for him to get turned around and join the fun
User avatar
guest
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am
Location: the old windmill

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby Toolbox » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

guest wrote:courtesy of Deadline Detroit, here's 14 minutes of about a hundred kids going Mad Max with 4-wheelers and dirt bikes and minichoppers on Livernois and around Southwest

it takes about 3 mins for them to really get going http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles ... F1XR2ca__g

at 7:45 The Man makes at cameo, and another at around 10:45, but even their Penske cars are pretty much overwhelmed

edit: think I saw a Crown Vic at about 6:20, it took another 1:20 for him to get turned around and join the fun


White guys on sleds...

User avatar
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Lovin' it in the burbs

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby D-Day » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 am

D-Day wrote:http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/11135/new_detroit_debate_again_2_words_put_corkown_club_on_defensive#.VJIP2yvF98F


It made me think of the "white only" and "colored only" signs for water fountains. It made me think of segregated bathrooms and restaurants.

Cross-post to the hyperbole and Fuck-You threads.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
User avatar
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer
 
Posts: 6689
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: About $8.25 in tolls from Chicago.

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby MICHIGAN » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:26 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
D-Day wrote:http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/11135/new_detroit_debate_again_2_words_put_corkown_club_on_defensive#.VJIP2yvF98F


It made me think of the "white only" and "colored only" signs for water fountains. It made me think of segregated bathrooms and restaurants.

Cross-post to the hyperbole and Fuck-You threads.



"I'm an internationally known artist, I'm an activist and I love and work with good people of all races." I suppose having friends in Windsor does make you internationally known.
Santa Cleopatra
User avatar
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder
 
Posts: 4689
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Teatro Massimo

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby MICHIGAN » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Distant relative by marriage was at the lake this last week. He quit Detroit 4 years ago (got screwed on the home value) and now has a decent spread in Oakland County. Anyway, seems like a decent enough guy and then he started telling me about his prepping. Like serious prepping. He recently had a trailer buried out back on his land and is stocking it with all the requisite survival paraphernalia. Seems a little looney to me, I don't think that is a really smart option if things do go bad. TO me you need ot be able to move and not be trapped underground waiting for your air to be cut of or have smoke or worse pumped in. But to each his own.
Santa Cleopatra
User avatar
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder
 
Posts: 4689
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Teatro Massimo

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby Tea Bag » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:42 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:Distant relative by marriage was at the lake this last week. He quit Detroit 4 years ago (got screwed on the home value) and now has a decent spread in Oakland County. Anyway, seems like a decent enough guy and then he started telling me about his prepping. Like serious prepping. He recently had a trailer buried out back on his land and is stocking it with all the requisite survival paraphernalia. Seems a little looney to me, I don't think that is a really smart option if things do go bad. TO me you need ot be able to move and not be trapped underground waiting for your air to be cut of or have smoke or worse pumped in. But to each his own.


I'm not hardcore about it, but I try to think through the possible scenerios and maintain a basic prepper stash. I'm in pretty good shape for your average serious weather event or bout of civil unrest and if things go Def Con 4, I can probably make it six weeks with supplies on hand, unless of course I get incinerated in the primary strike.

Some people really go nuts about it though, and burying a trailer underground is an example of that. If you've ever watched those prepper tv shows, they show the amount of engineering it takes to properly build and vent underground bunkers. Human waste is a whole 'nother issue. A basic 10x20 room with a sealable blast door and venting and waste disposal would cost 100K, easy. In the end, what's the use? If global nuclear war were to happen (God forbid), it would be a half-million years before the pollinators had anything to pollinate.
User avatar
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:45 pm

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby middle aged female » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Tea Bag wrote:
MICHIGAN wrote:Distant relative by marriage was at the lake this last week. He quit Detroit 4 years ago (got screwed on the home value) and now has a decent spread in Oakland County. Anyway, seems like a decent enough guy and then he started telling me about his prepping. Like serious prepping. He recently had a trailer buried out back on his land and is stocking it with all the requisite survival paraphernalia. Seems a little looney to me, I don't think that is a really smart option if things do go bad. TO me you need ot be able to move and not be trapped underground waiting for your air to be cut of or have smoke or worse pumped in. But to each his own.


I'm not hardcore about it, but I try to think through the possible scenerios and maintain a basic prepper stash. I'm in pretty good shape for your average serious weather event or bout of civil unrest and if things go Def Con 4, I can probably make it six weeks with supplies on hand, unless of course I get incinerated in the primary strike.

Some people really go nuts about it though, and burying a trailer underground is an example of that. If you've ever watched those prepper tv shows, they show the amount of engineering it takes to properly build and vent underground bunkers. Human waste is a whole 'nother issue. A basic 10x20 room with a sealable blast door and venting and waste disposal would cost 100K, easy. In the end, what's the use? If global nuclear war were to happen (God forbid), it would be a half-million years before the pollinators had anything to pollinate.

Have grown up during the "Cold War" I've always said I was going to head for the tank plant in Warren and wait it out at Ground Zero. Now I don't know WHERE to head.
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7375
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm no prepper, but I do plan ahead. My M.O. is to have a ton more of packaged food than we will need for the coming week. This has been a source of low comedy and some genuine bitching in our house because my wife tends to live like her parents who would eat down to bare shelves before replenishment. I like to have what I want when I want it, and that's not hard to ensure IF you just make a list and plan. Just this past weekend there was a minor skirmish over contending policies: we were entertaining, I was having some rum & diet cola (Big K brand - as noted elsewhere I am frugal) when -BANG- there's none. Why not? How in the hell do you run out of cans of cheap pop? Easily, if you don't buy something until you hit the bottom of the box.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby Doctor Detroit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Planning ahead is good, having some canned goods, water and what have you. Sacrificing your quality of life or the quality of life of your family for years, possibly your whole life, on the possibility something catastrophic might happen moves you into the crazy camp. And as Tea Baggers insinuated above, if things are THAT shitty, fuck it anyway.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
User avatar
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby jmy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:07 pm

We're screwed. We barely have a week's groceries at a time, but I suppose we could scrape by for another eating canned kidney beans and pumpkin pie filling and the enormous jar of tahini I bought for some reason. Any longer than that and we'll have to eat the dogs.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
User avatar
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr
 
Posts: 4190
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Cass Park Village

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest