HFD The End of Times

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: HFD The End of Times

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 pm

jmy wrote:We're screwed. We barely have a week's groceries at a time, but I suppose we could scrape by for another eating canned kidney beans and pumpkin pie filling and the enormous jar of tahini I bought for some reason. Any longer than that and we'll have to eat the dogs.

Odd, given her inability to plan, the wife describes the prepper habits of the mormons with whom she works. "Their religious duty is to have at least a year's worth of food stored away. When a young couple marries the congregation has a food shower where they gift them freeze dried food. Etc." I remind her that we could live a couple of months, albeit leanly, on what we naturally have on hand. Plan B is to open my arsenal, load up some of the thousands of rounds that I have hidden, and then go and visit mormons. They won't stand a chance.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby higgs1634 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:41 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
jmy wrote:We're screwed. We barely have a week's groceries at a time, but I suppose we could scrape by for another eating canned kidney beans and pumpkin pie filling and the enormous jar of tahini I bought for some reason. Any longer than that and we'll have to eat the dogs.

Odd, given her inability to plan, the wife describes the prepper habits of the mormons with whom she works. "Their religious duty is to have at least a year's worth of food stored away. When a young couple marries the congregation has a food shower where they gift them freeze dried food. Etc." I remind her that we could live a couple of months, albeit leanly, on what we naturally have on hand. Plan B is to open my arsenal, load up some of the thousands of rounds that I have hidden, and then go and visit mormons. They won't stand a chance.

my parents have a place up north. most of the neighbors are seasonal...some are year rounders. one of the year rounders is a bit of a prepper. Actually more of a hoarder, but calls herself a prepper. couple of years ago at a neighborhood party the discussion turned to teotwawki scenarios and her lecturing about her prepping and supplies and how everyone should be buying gold and prepping. because obama. he's destroying the country, You're all going to be sorry that you didn't take steps...blah blah. Well, one of the other neighbors who had obviously heard this all a few too many times laid it our for her.. "Susan, we all have guns...and you're one old lady who has made sure we all know you're sitting on a pile of food and supplies. if the shit hits the fan, who do you think is going to be dead in that scenario?" ......crickets......
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Conscience » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 am

Hey folks. Been awhile I know. Nice to see there are four or five of you that still come here. You are most dedicated to HFD, I give you that. Even the owner hasn't stopped by in five years. I too have pretty much given up on the site, but I figured I'd chime in as our world is about to change. Bigly.

I was enjoying a new episode of the Jack Van Impe show last night (for those of you who don't know, Jack and his wife, Rexella, host a weekly syndicated show about the coming Apocalypse from their studio in Troy. I'm surprised we don't hear more about them locally; they've been around for decades, have a worldwide viewership of 2.5 million/week, and have become a local brand unto themselves, just like the Bernstein family, the Illitches, etc). Anyways, Jack was saying that the Book of Revelations is quickly becoming reality, and we will soon begin 1,000 years of peace, as prophesized in Chapter 20; "And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit, and a great chain in his hand, and he laid hold on the old dragon, that old serpent, which is the devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, and cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him that he would deceive the nations no more, until the thousand years should be fulfilled."

But first we have to deal with a little event called the Apocalypse, and much of it ties into foreboding current events, like Russia massing armies along the Baltic states, China asserting control over the South China seas, North Korea's nuclear missile ambitions, and of course ever-increasing tensions in the Middle East.

Then there were all the direct, undeniable connections to our next leader:

Physical Looks:
His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire (Rev 1:14)

The Wall:
And he had a wall great and high…And the building of the wall of it was of jasper…And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. (Rev 21:12)

Those silly red and white hats:
And his servants shall serve him; And they shall see his face; and his name shall be on their foreheads.

Drumpf:
And he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself (Rev 19:12)

The list goes on, but I have things to do right now, like stock up on propane, water filtration devices and canned foods, before this end of the world party gets started. Y'all might want to as well.
Last edited by The Conscience on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Conscience » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 am

Oh, don't forget toilet paper and soap.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:03 am

The Conscience wrote:Oh, don't forget toilet paper and soap.

As I have always said, I'm going to try and find out where Ground Zero is and stand there and wait
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:17 pm

The Conscience wrote:Hey folks. Been awhile I know. Nice to see there are four or five of you that still come here. You are most dedicated to HFD, I give you that. Even the owner hasn't stopped by in five years. I too have pretty much given up on the site, but I figured I'd chime in as our world is about to change. Bigly.

Yeah, it's been pretty much a dead site for a while, and that's too bad because things were a lot of fun when there was a full cast weighing in, teeing off and generally providing good clean distractions from this life spent behind a desk. I don't do Facebook, have no interest in Twitter, Reddit is a mess, and so am like the last few folks out there who still reach for their hardcopy newspaper every day: the world moved on and the survivors don't get why things had to change as new parties rage on elsewhere. It's cool to see old hands pop up from time to time.

Re: end of times... maybe. It seems that for as long as I've been aware there is one prophet or group or another railing about how the end is nigh, e.g. the tennis shoe guys and Hale-Bopp comet, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. and to date they've all been wrong. At the same time you can recognize the conceit in a "as long as I've been aware" claim: just how long can that be, especially in terms of timeframes cited in Revelations or geological time? Shit not going medieval in the past few decades or so means we're not really paying attention when a tree can live for centuries and the word is that a reich will last 1,000 years. Maybe it IS happening right now but we think too narrowly.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby vlad the impaler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:47 am

Are y'all keeping up current events? US vs Syria/Russia, US vs DPRK, US vs China, etc.? Looks like Jack and Rexella Van Impe, those Biblical seers who have been broadcasting about nuclear doomsday for decades from their studio in Troy, were on to something after all....

I suppose all those exercises Mr. Buhse, my elementary school principle used to make us do in the 70's, might actually get put to use (get under your desks, corral everyone into the basement bomb shelter, etc).

For those of you who might want to know how the Era of Man will end, there's a ton of stuff floating on the internet, like de-classified reports about wind patterns and fallout (we're not in the best spot, thanks to all the silos in ND and MT), what kind of warheads will likely be used, primary vs. tertiary targets, how to survive the initial flurry of incoming missiles, etc. There's dated websites about primary strike targets in Michigan; I say dated because Wurtsmith AFB and Kincheloe AFB were decommissioned over twenty years ago. But that doesn't mean SE Michigan won't get a decent share of the 7,000 missiles pointed at the US, thanks to Selfridge AFB and Fermi Power Plant.

http://www.webpal.org/SAFE/state/MI/mi_nuclear.htm

I work in the heart of a "yellow area" (5 PSI or more) but my house is on the outer fringes of a "red ring" (.5 to 2 PSI). Hopefully this happens at night or on a weekend.

Everything I've been reading follows the general static outline- there will be a pre-emptive strike by us (or them); the other country will simultaneously release their arrows; these volleys will be aimed at military and infrastructure targets; then there will be assessment of what's left and who will concede; if no resolution then whatever remains in the arsenals will be used on population centers.

The perception has long been that mankind will be eliminated in a matter of minutes. The more I'm reading is that will not be the case... yes, there will be tens of millions of fatalities, but most of the world's population will live to see another day. Now there may not be electricity for a year or food on the shelves but life will go on.
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:17 pm

In the total war scenario humanity survives but the industrial economies of the northern hemisphere are toast with severe repercussions for what's left. Scientific advancement and production capacity is overwhelmingly located between n the areas likely found in the bonfires. Ready for a world where Brazil, Nigeria, Australia, and Malaysia are the leaders? Humanity will survive the war but it will be centuries before lost ground is made up. I see a future that is cold, hungry, sickly, and ignorant by comparison to today. Unlike Vlad I don't foresee the lights coming back on in North America for many generations. We really don't want a proper war.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Mud Bug » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:28 pm

In the words of Cyprus Hill, When the shit goes down, you better be ready. I don't have an underground bunker with ventilation and septic but I do have about six weeks worth of freeze dried food. And enough ammo to keep a ready supply of freshly smoked squirrel/deer/possum hanging from the garage rafters.

I just hope DefCon 1 doesn't happen until after July 25 (I have main floor tickets for The Who, Van Andel Arena). And I've been looking forward to Blade Runner II (October).
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:40 pm

I'd like to think our proximity to Chicago and/or the nuke plants in SW Michigan will make our exit fairly swift.
I'm sure my wife will remain calm and order me to help clean the house in case someone should stop by to vacuum us up.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Craig » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 pm

I believe all of us here are old enough to have participated in Civil Defense drills. I enjoyed the novelty of trooping en masse to the fall out shelterunder my school, and despite the shit-talking of the peacenik-defeatists I still believe that duck and cover offered hope to those outside of the immediate blast zone.

Is it the logical inner-statistician or the Li'l Orphan Annie who tells me that the worst will never come to pass. That's straight up egocenticism -thinking one will always survive because one is to importantant to dismiss or erase as we might a gnat or weed. Whatever the reason and the improbability of global calamity it is a fact that improbable events have happened and have laid low life and civilizations. Think of the line of great civilizations that have preceded ours: some stupid stuff like rivers going dry and serious earthquakes and war have knocked out many. I think of these and wonder if we are special or sophisticated enough to prevent or survive a tragedy. Anyone else remember or was moved by the cover to the Kansas album Monolith?
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:04 pm

I like to think the biggest reason we all won't go up in a flash is the fact that folks with long military pedigrees on both sides are wise enough to know what happens once the buttons get pushed and there's no turning back. That's what I like to think, anyway.

I've seen the phrase "the end of American exceptionalism" a lot recently and I'm not so sure we're there yet, or even close. We still educate most of the world, we're still a place folks would take great risks to live in and many other things. I certainly hope the future is bright, because my nieces and nephew are pretty bright, curious, kind kids who could turn out to be wonderful adults.
But like Craig said, shit happens. If it happens in the near future, I hope my exit is as quick and painless as possible. Survival is a young man's game.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby MICHIGAN » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:33 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:...... If it happens in the near future, I hope my exit is as quick and painless as possible. Survival is a young man's game.

Sounds like you just don't have the stomach for it! Too soon?
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:...... If it happens in the near future, I hope my exit is as quick and painless as possible. Survival is a young man's game.

Sounds like you just don't have the stomach for it! Too soon?

Well done!
Please don't share that with my wife ... then she'll know TWO jokes.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Beav » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:09 pm

So I shouldn't send this link to her?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion