Made It/ Fixed It/ Broke It

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Made It/ Fixed It/ Broke It

Postby jmy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:18 pm

I thought I start a new thread instead of clogging up "Reporting Back" with my failed attempts at posting a pic.

My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Re: Made It/ Fixed It/ Broke It

Postby jmy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Well, I'll be damned. It worked. Thanks, Doctor Detroit!
jmy

Postby Doctor Detroit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 pm

No problem. Very nice, I especially like the "night light" base.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby ldodger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 pm

JMY, we have a broken lamp like that in our basement. Shall I bring it with me the next time I'm in town?

Where'd you get the lamp shade? We have the shade, but it needs to have new material--it's disintegrating.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby middle aged female » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 pm

ldodger wrote:JMY, we have a broken lamp like that in our basement. Shall I bring it with me the next time I'm in town?

Where'd you get the lamp shade? We have the shade, but it needs to have new material--it's disintegrating.

Most of those old lampshades are silk. I'll bet that there are still shops around the area that refurbish old shades. My mom used to be able to do it herself, but I never picked up that skill.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby ldodger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 pm

middle aged female wrote:
ldodger wrote:JMY, we have a broken lamp like that in our basement. Shall I bring it with me the next time I'm in town?

Most of those old lampshades are silk. I'll bet that there are still shops around the area that refurbish old shades. My mom used to be able to do it herself, but I never picked up that skill.

You're right--it is silk. I'll check around.
ldodger

Postby jmy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:51 pm

I went to Cook's Lamp Shades on Gratiot and 696. Nice folks, tons of shades and a lot of hard-to-find lamp parts. Brenda likes some place at 12 Mile and Southfield, but he doesn't remember the name.

I can take a look at it, or if you want something faster, Cook's also repairs lamps.
jmy

Postby ldodger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 am

jmy wrote:I went to Cook's Lamp Shades on Gratiot and 696. Nice folks, tons of shades and a lot of hard-to-find lamp parts. Brenda likes some place at 12 Mile and Southfield, but he doesn't remember the name.

I can take a look at it, or if you want something faster, Cook's also repairs lamps.

Thanks, JMY. I'll take it to Cook's. I know just the perfect place for the lamp after it's been fixed.
ldodger

Postby gullycanyon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:30 am

Jmy, that is not only a sweet lamp, but perfect in Gully's eyes for two reasons:

A ) Warm lighting (unless you're a dope and twist a 100-watt Naturalite bulb into it so it looks like ET's folks are there to pick him up, but I'm thinking you're not that kind of dope; maybe some other kind, but not that one.)

B) Perfect-- because of the height and the light-dispersion from the shade-- reading light.

I want it. Can I have it? Gimme.
You owe me for allowing you to harass Ravine over his sloppy thatwhich sandwich until he made up his mind to conquer his personal writer's black hole of confoundery, anyway.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 am

Well done, Jimbo. Lamp looks nice. Based upon your description I'm imagining that you started with something that looked like Andre the Giant had bent it over his knee after using it to smash snakes, crack walnuts, or something.

It's not like I'm personally strapped for project ideas, but I've found that out of the way junk stores (read as: consignment antique dealers) can be a good jumping off point for worthwhile restoration projects. In the margins I'm hunting for and refurbishing old hand planes. The objective is not to make money or produce a museum piece. On the contrary, I want to add high-quality tools to my roster of carpentry equipment. On the search list: jointer planes and router planes.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm

How does one upload a photo? Do you have to load it to Flikr or some such site first? I have only ever linked to exisitng we based photos.
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby middle aged female » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Ansel Rakestraw wrote:How does one upload a photo? Do you have to load it to Flikr or some such site first? I have only ever linked to exisitng we based photos.

I find the best place to upload and share photos from is 'imgur'. http://imgur.com/
It's free and, if you don't want to, you don't even have to create an acct. Just drag the pic you want to upload to the page I linked above and release it. Then click 'start upload'.After it's uploaded and your desired pic appears on the page, make sure to highlight the little page icon under BB code entry and click 'copy' so that you can share it after you go back to the HFD site.
Oh your entry on HFD, click the IMG button above and paste the link you created between the center brackets (a la this: Image) without the parentheses.

And please, no comments from those that find this NSFHC (Not suitable for Hot Chicks)
Last edited by middle aged female on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby gullycanyon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm

MAF, that is tremendously helpful to them (us'n) what don't know our rear portions from burrow spots left out back by moles an' such.

I very, very seldom feel the wish to do all of that, but it's happened, and I'm sure that Ansel & me are not alone in that.

Then-kew.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Here's something I've been working on for the past month or so. Converting my 55 gallon tank with gravel substrate and fake plants and dumb plastic decor into a South American biotope tank with sand substrate and all live plants.

There are 8 neon tetras, 10 head-and-tail light tetras, 2 rubberlip plecos and 4 cory cats. Plants include the large water sprite in the middle, java fern attached to the driftwood, hornwort (the tall seaweed looking stuff), hygrophilia augustifolia (the shorter grass looking stuff). It's considered a low-tech/low-light set up, meaning there is about 1 watt per gallon of lighting, and no CO2 injection.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 pm

That pic would be better if that chick was flipping everyone off, MAF.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Next

Return to General Discussion