Made It/ Fixed It/ Broke It

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Made It/ Fixed It/ Broke It

Postby Ya Mar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Sterile Whites 48313 wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:I must say I just re-screened a sliding screen door, and replaced about 10 switches with dimmers. First time I have ever done anything like this - I didn't even know you could replace a screen - actually thought I had to get a whole new door. The $8.00 for screen (the guy at the hardware store let me borrow his spliner) was much better than the $100+ I was planning on spending...

You really didn't know you could replace a screen? C'mon. yer shittin' me...Ya know, you can replace light bulbs too!

I have people that usually take care of all that stuff for me.
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby jmy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:15 pm

My dad and I made our annual December trek to Armstrong today. Hello, 100 bdft of quarter-sawn African mahogany and 80 bdft of quarter-sawn white oak (plus some poplar). I'll report back when I've made the door and bookcase, but it will be awhile.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 pm

jmy wrote:My dad and I made our annual December trek to Armstrong today. Hello, 100 bdft of quarter-sawn African mahogany and 80 bdft of quarter-sawn white oak (plus some poplar). I'll report back when I've made the door and bookcase, but it will be awhile.

In that vein, do you guys yet have a Menards nearby? They sell locally sourced 1x stock that is both damn good and inexpensive. Flat sawn only, but when it goes on sale it can be had for about a buck per foot. So cheap that many of my little utilitarian projects which would have utilized pine are now done in hard maple.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:09 pm

jmy wrote:My dad and I made our annual December trek to Armstrong today. Hello, 100 bdft of quarter-sawn African mahogany and 80 bdft of quarter-sawn white oak (plus some poplar). I'll report back when I've made the door and bookcase, but it will be awhile.

In that vein, do you guys yet have a Menards nearby? They sell locally sourced 1x stock that is both damn good and inexpensive. Flat sawn only, but when it goes on sale it can be had for about a buck per foot. So cheap that many of my little utilitarian projects which would have utilized pine are now done in hard maple.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Goddamn this phone...

Postby jmy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:

I saw one somewhere not too long ago, but I've never been in one. I'll have to check it out -- or tell my dad to.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:03 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Goddamn this phone...

Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Sterile Whites 48313 wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Goddamn this phone...

Exactly. If anyone knows how to un-Goddamn these phones please click over to Ask the Expert.

Postby April St.Clair » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:29 pm

My seven year old bag less vacuum stopped working. I took it apart and cleaned it up and put it back together. So now when you turn it on it sounds possessed. Yeah, time for Brotha Lawrence to buy me a new bag less vacuum.
Filthy water cannot be washed. ~African Proverb
April St.Clair
HFD Watery Tart

Postby D-Day » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 am

After 8 years of owning a home theater in a box, I finally have it set up correctly. The speakers are mounted on the wall and the wires are hidden behind the wall, running through the basement to a central panel behind the TV.

Previously, we only had the front and center hooked up. Wow, what difference in the sound. Upgrades are not done, though. Next month, I am picking up a new receiver with two powered zones, with the second zone being the back porch. Also, at some point we're going to replace the worn out current speakers with some new ones. The current system will then be moved upstairs to our room
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Ya Mar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

D-Day wrote:After 8 years of owning a home theater in a box, I finally have it set up correctly. The speakers are mounted on the wall and the wires are hidden behind the wall, running through the basement to a central panel behind the TV.

Previously, we only had the front and center hooked up. Wow, what difference in the sound. Upgrades are not done, though. Next month, I am picking up a new receiver with two powered zones, with the second zone being the back porch. Also, at some point we're going to replace the worn out current speakers with some new ones. The current system will then be moved upstairs to our room

I have one the I purchased for our Detroit house when we re-did the upsatirs in 2003.

I have a sub-woofer sitting on my floor in the family room and two speakers sitting on the fireplace - and they have been there since 2008 - they rext of the system is in the garage. I leave the 3 components (un-attached) out because I think one day it will motivate me to hook it up. I should probably throw it all in the garage. Or hire Gannon to hook it up...
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby middle aged female » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
D-Day wrote:After 8 years of owning a home theater in a box, I finally have it set up correctly. The speakers are mounted on the wall and the wires are hidden behind the wall, running through the basement to a central panel behind the TV.

I have one the I purchased for our Detroit house when we re-did the upsatirs in 2003.

I have a sub-woofer sitting on my floor in the family room and two speakers sitting on the fireplace - and they have been there since 2008 - they rext of the system is in the garage. I leave the 3 components (un-attached) out because I think one day it will motivate me to hook it up. I should probably throw it all in the garage. Or hire Gannon to hook it up...

No, he's still busy trying to figure out the Super Bowl conspiracy.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby D-Day » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:

After he fixes Ansel's turntable......
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:59 pm

One of our neighbors is a technophile and he's always bringing over his cast-off electronica. As has been evidenced many times over I'm pretty much King Idiot in that department, so I'm like "dude, what am I going to do with this stuff?" So the kids get it.

Somewhere in the lair of my boys is a home theater setup that's been connected to an iPod docking station, and the walls do shake. So if you need any pointers, Mr. Day, just post and I'll forward your questions to my technical support team/kids.

Postby D-Day » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am

D-Day wrote:
middle aged female wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:

After he fixes Ansel's turntable......

We've had the receiver for about three weeks now (Onkyo TX-NR515), but it didn't have a place to hook up the passive sub from the old system, so we've been running sans sub. Sound was OK. Nothing to write home about, though. Yesterday, I went and bought an active sub (Polk PSW-10) after a little bit of playing with the volume and levels we cranked up Prometheus and The Hobbit. And I mean cranked

Oh. My. Fucking. God....I thought I was going to come out of my seat on the couch. Just like being in the theater. The walls in the house were shaking. Amazing sound.....
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion