That blowed up REAL good

About all things in and around the Detroit area

That blowed up REAL good

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I just thought I'd start a thread devoted to the seemingly increasing natural gas explosions in the tri-county area

The blast in Royal Oak yesterday appears to have been very powerful, 35 houses in the neighborhood are damaged, some are not inhabitable due to the blast.
I don't remember this ever happening before a few years ago. Last year the furniture store in Wayne blowed up, and various and sundry homes around the area. The gas company was working on that block in Royal Oak this week, Dollars to doughnuts they are covering ass at warp speed today.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby Toolbox » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Heard and felt it when I was loading the kids in the car at daycare in downtown Clawson. It was really loud, thought something in the industrial section of RO went up.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 pm

I was driving on I-75 near 13 Mile around 11am yesterday and smelled a strong natural gas smell. Is this explosion my fault for not speaking up on that?
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby D-Day » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Andy wrote:I was driving on I-75 near 13 Mile around 11am yesterday and smelled a strong natural gas smell. Is this explosion my fault for not speaking up on that?

Yep
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Beav » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 pm

D-Day wrote:
Andy wrote:I was driving on I-75 near 13 Mile around 11am yesterday and smelled a strong natural gas smell. Is this explosion my fault for not speaking up on that?

Yep

Easy, Andy, you can blame it on your minions.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Doctor Detroit » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 pm

If anybody around here still reads that other board, please tell me Gannon has a theory, and please post it here.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby middle aged female » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 am

Oddly enough, there is no thread regarding this at the adult's table. Unless, of course, the title is so obscure that I'm not connecting the two. It's happened before
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Amadeus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am

We're moving up in the world here at HFD. I think this reporter must troll the board, looking for news ideas.

Building explosions occur in every part of state

By Carol Hopkins
For the Daily Tribune Posted: Thursday, 02/28/13 10:10 pm

Gas leaks and, at times, drug manufacturing and scrap metal thieves tend to be the cause of past building explosions in communities around Michigan in recent years.

A man barely escaped with his life after his house exploded Jan. 29 in Coldwater. Fire officials said there wasn’t a wall standing in the one-story home after the explosion, which was caused by a propane gas leak.

Three men were severely burned when the house they were in exploded. Officials determined the men were making hash oil, a derivative of marijuana, on Clark Street in Lansing on May 8. The house had to be demolished.

An unoccupied house exploded on Duck Lake Road in Milford May 31. The home was a total loss. No one was injured.

Natural gas was suspected as the reason for house explosion in Muskegon Sept. 23 on Elwood Street. Sections of the roof landed on other homes, damaging them. No one was injured.

A Muskegon Township homeowner was burned over 80 percent of his body when his house exploded Oct. 2. The homeowner was found dazed, his clothing completely gone, wandering around his attached garage on Vine Avenue.

A meth lab explosion ruined a house in Lansing Township Nov. 14. A man living at the home was treated for burns. The house was a total loss.

A gas leak was blamed for a house explosion near Devil’s Lake in the Irish Hills about 20 miles south of Jackson Nov. 29. The subsequent fire from the leak destroyed two summer homes. Witnesses heard the explosion two miles away.

A house on Detroit’s west side exploded Dec. 2, leaving a man with second-degree burns. The explosion was not considered suspicious. Utility workers were investigating whether natural gas was the cause.

A house was ripped apart during an explosion on Carlisle Street in Pontiac May 25. Officials speculated scrap metal thieves may have caused a gas leak.

A vacant home exploded on South Shirley near Chandler in Pontiac on June 17. Fire crews suspected a natural gas leak caused the explosion and fire. Officials speculated scrap metal thieves may have caused the gas leak.

A couple’s home exploded in Montcalm County’s Cato Township Aug. 31. The explosion caused the roof to collapse, trapping the wife in the bathroom. Officials said a propane line leaked, with gas building up in the structure for days. The couple suffered minor injuries.

The William Franks Furniture store in Wayne exploded Dec. 29, killing two people. Store owner Paul Franks was severely burned. Jackson-based Consumers Energy stated people reported possible gas odors prior to the explosion. A year after the incident, the utility said the exact cause could not be determined. Consumers Energy dealt with 10 separate lawsuits after the explosion. Crain’s Detroit estimated the settlement at $10 million in the cases of Paul Franks v. Consumers Energy and the Estates of Diane Zell and Leslie Machniak v. Consumers Energy. Zell and Machniak were employed at Franks and died in the explosion.

Crain’s noted that it was believed a leak had been found in a gas main coupling.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -explosion

Investigators believe natural gas was the cause of a house explosion on Rialto Avenue in Madison Heights Jan. 14. The homeowner — who escaped with her teenage grandson — said she smelled gas and called 911. Consumers Energy workers reportedly checked the area for problems and found nothing, saying whatever happened took place inside the home.

Harebell Childress of Rose Township survived a house explosion on Davisburg Road Nov. 22. Officials said the cause appeared to be the result of a propane leak. The home’s water heater, furnace and stove ran on propane. A decade earlier, Childress was taking a bath when lightning struck his home and set it on fire.

The Oakland Press/TIM THOMPSON

The home of Harebell Childress on E. Davisburg Road in Rose Township was completely destroyed by an explosion and fire in 2006. The explosion was just one several homes that has exploded around the state.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Morty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

The Wayne furniture store blowed up in 2010? looking at my initial post I said "last year" , shit , that's what old people do...............

nevermind
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Toolbox » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 pm

There were 2 or 3 houses in the Hills of Rochester the went up over a few years back a bit. The sub was built on an "unknown" landfill and methane was the combustible.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mulligan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm

HFD documented a gas explosion on the east side.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Morty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 am

Toolbox wrote:There were 2 or 3 houses in the Hills of Rochester the went up over a few years back a bit. The sub was built on an "unknown" landfill and methane was the combustible.

Wonder if they needed Craig T. Nelson to get over there and get to the bottom of the situation?

Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 am

...Drone strikes...
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:40 am

Westbound Interstate 94 will be shut down between Interstate 96 and West Grand Boulevard starting Friday night and ending at 5 a.m. Monday.

The shut down will allow for demolition of the overpass.

The detour takes drivers onto Interstate 96 to the Southfield Freeway and back to I-94.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/WB-I ... index.html

That ramp was a disaster and they need to start from scratch, but still it's crazy to see them destroy the whole thing.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby middle aged female » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am

Andy wrote:
Westbound Interstate 94 will be shut down between Interstate 96 and West Grand Boulevard starting Friday night and ending at 5 a.m. Monday.

The shut down will allow for demolition of the overpass.

The detour takes drivers onto Interstate 96 to the Southfield Freeway and back to I-94.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/WB-I ... index.html

That ramp was a disaster and they need to start from scratch, but still it's crazy to see them destroy the whole thing.

Which overpass are they removing; the pedestrian or the vehicular one? I'm assuming they aren't removing the cloverleaf?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Next

Return to General Discussion