That blowed up REAL good

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby Amadeus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:41 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Andy wrote:
Westbound Interstate 94 will be shut down between Interstate 96 and West Grand Boulevard starting Friday night and ending at 5 a.m. Monday.

The shut down will allow for demolition of the overpass.

The detour takes drivers onto Interstate 96 to the Southfield Freeway and back to I-94.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/WB-I ... index.html

That ramp was a disaster and they need to start from scratch, but still it's crazy to see them destroy the whole thing.

Which overpass are they removing; the pedestrian or the vehicular one? I'm assuming they aren't removing the cloverleaf?

The Boulevard over the freeway is getting replaced, including losing the left lane exit from the freeway.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Andy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 am

Detroit police, fire and the bomb squad have surrounded areas around Ford Field and Comerica Park after finding something suspicious during a sweep.

There are areas of Brush Street between Madison and I-75 that are blocked off with police tape.

The area was being swept ahead of the Taylor Swift concert on Saturday when the suspicious item was found somewhere inside Ford Field.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detr ... index.html

That's probably why a helicopter has been hanging above Grand Circus Park for the last 45 min.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Doctor Detroit » Fri May 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Andy wrote:
Detroit police, fire and the bomb squad have surrounded areas around Ford Field and Comerica Park after finding something suspicious during a sweep.

There are areas of Brush Street between Madison and I-75 that are blocked off with police tape.

The area was being swept ahead of the Taylor Swift concert on Saturday when the suspicious item was found somewhere inside Ford Field.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detr ... index.html

That's probably why a helicopter has been hanging above Grand Circus Park for the last 45 min.

However, investigators told Local 4 that suspicious hit turned out to be a scent or residue from pyrotechnics that were inside Ford Field for Saturday's Taylor Swift concert.

Herp derp.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby guest » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 am

Police: Woman buys explosive device at Lansing area garage sale

yes, there are some good bargains out there but sometimes in the wealthier neighborhoods you can find things just sitting on the curb for the taking
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:39 am

DTE confirms the explosion Saturday morning that blew off several manhole covers in downtown Detroit was the result of a failed underground power line.

It happened in the area of Washington and Grand River. Witnesses reported several commercial windows were also blown out in the area.

Coleman Coates and his friend David Crumbie, heard and felt the explosion. Coates, a veteran, says he hit the ground to take cover. Crumbie says he witnessed yellow smoke wafting in the area. He says the explosion blew the chain off his bike. They were both unharmed, but say they were startled and concerned.

DTE is still investigating why the power line failed and crews are still making repairs.

No one lost power during the blast and no injuries were reported.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/unde ... index.html

And I missed it. Dang.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby guest » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 am

6 hurt in house explosion on Detroit's east side
18-month-old girl, 2-year-old boy critical after explosion at Manning & Fairport

squatters + illegal utilities hookup = KABOOM!!!

let the blaming of DTE and Consumers begin
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Morty » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:53 am

guest wrote:
18-month-old girl, 2-year-old boy critical after explosion at Manning & Fairport

Followed by statements of "they didn't deserve this, they were just squatting (stealing, shoplifting,scrapping, murder 1, involuntary manslaughter-etc.)
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:23 am

On one of the NPR XM shows last week there was a discussion of decaying infrastructure and unabated gas leaks, like a surprising proportion of natural gas is lost due to leaking and broken lines that go unfixed.

We once lived in a flat where the maple tree in the strip of government property was pretty stunted. These were city-planted trees, as in they all likely went in at the same time, but this one was smaller than the rest and visibly twisted. An older neighbor told us that for a long time the people had called and reported a gas smell when in the yard, but Michcon (this was a while ago) either never came out or did come out but did nothing. Anyway, someone finally did do some digging and found a broken line in the vicinity of the tree, and thus the deformity was explained.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Heywood McCrakin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Morty wrote:
guest wrote:

Followed by statements of "they didn't deserve this, they were just squatting (stealing, shoplifting,scrapping, murder 1, involuntary manslaughter-etc.)

there is a crazy mentality that says that if you are poor, you are allowed to do whatever you can in order to survive...except of course if that activity is to act responsibly.

I have a tenant who always comes up short in rent....i feel for her. she isn't educated, and she isn't bright (two different things). When she drops off her rent, she always has her nails done. She always wears nice clothes, and she always has her iPhone.....but she is poor, so i feel bad for her.

My wife tells me that I am a sucker
GO BUCKEYES!

www.the3wows.com
Heywood McCrakin
Hot Fudge Downtown Diva

Postby D-Day » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Heywood McCrakin wrote:
Morty wrote:
guest wrote:

there is a crazy mentality that says that if you are poor, you are allowed to do whatever you can in order to survive...except of course if that activity is to act responsibly.

I have a tenant who always comes up short in rent....i feel for her. she isn't educated, and she isn't bright (two different things). When she drops off her rent, she always has her nails done. She always wears nice clothes, and she always has her iPhone.....but she is poor, so i feel bad for her.

Had a friend who lived at Fairport and Manning....the area just north of there (between Manning and State Fair) looks like a fucking bomb hit it
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby middle aged female » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:27 pm

D-Day wrote:
Heywood McCrakin wrote:
Morty wrote:
guest wrote:

Had a friend who lived at Fairport and Manning....the area just north of there (between Manning and State Fair) looks like a fucking bomb hit it

My sister lived on the corner of Manning and Joann, a block east; it looks like Little Baghdad.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Toolbox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Morty wrote:
guest wrote:

And it gets shadier...

Utilities were shut off Feb. 18 at the request of the homeowner, officials said, but on Wednesday, the electricity was turned back on legally but had been tampered with. Fire officials said the gas had been shut off for several months before being turned on again illegally some time after Wednesday.

“There was no meter in this box,” McNulty said. “Just two straps of aluminum that someone used to make connection. We don’t know what they did with the meter. The people that moved into the house, they swore they weren’t aware.”

At 4 p.m. Thursday, the family moved in with their belongings and the stove after being evicted from a house on Holcomb Street. The family told investigators they found the home through Craigslist and word of mouth.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:23 pm

So I go onto the interwebs the other day on a unit shared by the family and I get an Amazon banner ad for aluminum powder. Que? As I think about it the boys have talking about some home-experiments and getting material. I've never studied chemistry, but my Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that (a) the boys have been shopping, (b) aluminum powder can be bent to a destructive use, and (c) if the BATF shows up at my door I'm going to point them down the hall to where the kids claim to be doing homework.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Morty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:So I go onto the interwebs the other day on a unit shared by the family and I get an Amazon banner ad for aluminum powder. Que? As I think about it the boys have talking about some home-experiments and getting material. I've never studied chemistry, but my Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that (a) the boys have been shopping, (b) aluminum powder can be bent to a destructive use, and (c) if the BATF shows up at my door I'm going to point them down the hall to where the kids claim to be doing homework.

Claim it's a second amendment right, get your neighborhood gun pals to back you up.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Amadeus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:56 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:So I go onto the interwebs the other day on a unit shared by the family and I get an Amazon banner ad for aluminum powder. Que? As I think about it the boys have talking about some home-experiments and getting material. I've never studied chemistry, but my Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that (a) the boys have been shopping, (b) aluminum powder can be bent to a destructive use, and (c) if the BATF shows up at my door I'm going to point them down the hall to where the kids claim to be doing homework.

Aluminum powder isn't something they should messing around with in the house. If the particles are small enough, it can spontaneously ignite, and if they've got a big enough pile, it can do some serious damage.

Keep an eye on any blenders you might have around the house. They can create their own aluminum powder by grinding pop cans and aluminum foil in a blender.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion