That blowed up REAL good

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Amadeus wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:So I go onto the interwebs the other day on a unit shared by the family and I get an Amazon banner ad for aluminum powder. Que? As I think about it the boys have talking about some home-experiments and getting material. I've never studied chemistry, but my Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that (a) the boys have been shopping, (b) aluminum powder can be bent to a destructive use, and (c) if the BATF shows up at my door I'm going to point them down the hall to where the kids claim to be doing homework.

Aluminum powder isn't something they should messing around with in the house. If the particles are small enough, it can spontaneously ignite, and if they've got a big enough pile, it can do some serious damage.

Keep an eye on any blenders you might have around the house. They can create their own aluminum powder by grinding pop cans and aluminum foil in a blender.

Just interrogated the youngest boy about this stuff. Turns out that he and his brother DID order this, and he swears that it having a dark capability is only an unfortunate coincidence. I told him that if this happens again then me beating his ass could be the next coincidence in his life.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby RoryKasel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Amadeus wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:So I go onto the interwebs the other day on a unit shared by the family and I get an Amazon banner ad for aluminum powder. Que? As I think about it the boys have talking about some home-experiments and getting material. I've never studied chemistry, but my Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that (a) the boys have been shopping, (b) aluminum powder can be bent to a destructive use, and (c) if the BATF shows up at my door I'm going to point them down the hall to where the kids claim to be doing homework.

Aluminum powder isn't something they should messing around with in the house. If the particles are small enough, it can spontaneously ignite, and if they've got a big enough pile, it can do some serious damage.

Keep an eye on any blenders you might have around the house. They can create their own aluminum powder by grinding pop cans and aluminum foil in a blender.

Just interrogated the youngest boy about this stuff. Turns out that he and his brother DID order this, and he swears that it having a dark capability is only an unfortunate coincidence. I told him that if this happens again then me beating his ass could be the next coincidence in his life.

But did you tell them they could have made their own for free according to Amadeus? Never dismiss an opportunity for a lesson on thriftiness.
RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm

RoryKasel wrote:
Amadeus wrote:

But did you tell them they could have made their own for free according to Amadeus? Never dismiss an opportunity for a lesson on thriftiness.

Give 'em a pop can and a Ginsu knife and let them go at it.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 pm

middle aged female wrote:
RoryKasel wrote:
Amadeus wrote:

Give 'em a pop can and a Ginsu knife and let them go at it.

I'm the guy who's trying to ferment homemade cider because it'll be chealer than Five Star, so of course this crossed my mind. But then they don't give whiskey n guns to the Indians for a reason.

Postby Tea Bag » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:05 pm

A 44-year-old Detroit man celebrating July Fourth has been killed after fireworks he was lighting struck him in the chest and exploded.

WXYZ-TV and WDIV-TV report Saturday that instead of shooting toward the sky, the fireworks shot out horizontally about 10:30 p.m. Friday on the city’s west side.

A neighbor tells WWJ-AM that the man was holding the fireworks when it went off.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z36bvGBmtU

Like the ending to Dead Calm?

Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Tea Bag » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 am

WXYZ chief meteorologist Dave Rexroth loses eye in fireworks accident

The chief meteorologist with WXYZ Channel 7 in Detroit was seriously injured in a July 4 fireworks accident in Iowa that caused him to lose vision in his left eye, the station reports.

Dave Rexroth remains hospitalized in Iowa City and is scheduled for surgery Wednesday. He is to receive a prosthetic eye and expects to have recovered by September, according to the station.

Rexroth was vacationing with his family when the accident occurred Friday night, and further details of the circumstances weren’t immediately available Monday morning.

Ed Fernandez, vice president and general manager of the station, said they’re hoping for a speedy recovery and for Rexroth to return soon. He said word of the accident was sent to staff overnight.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Dave and his family, and they have our full support during this difficult time,” he said in a report on wxyz.com.

Rexroth was named chief meteorologist in August 2010 and gives forecasts and updates on the evening and night-time newscasts. He’s been with the station since 2000 and lives in Oakland County with his wife Deborah and their three sons, according to WXYZ.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140707/E ... eorologist

Jeez even the weather guy. I'm not lighting nothing from this point, not even lady fingers or those little snake pellets.
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby higgs1634 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:27 am

Tea Bag wrote:

The chief meteorologist with WXYZ Channel 7 in Detroit was seriously injured in a July 4 fireworks accident in Iowa that caused him to lose vision in his left eye, the station reports.

Dave Rexroth remains hospitalized in Iowa City and is scheduled for surgery Wednesday. He is to receive a prosthetic eye and expects to have recovered by September, according to the station.

Rexroth was vacationing with his family when the accident occurred Friday night, and further details of the circumstances weren’t immediately available Monday morning.

Ed Fernandez, vice president and general manager of the station, said they’re hoping for a speedy recovery and for Rexroth to return soon. He said word of the accident was sent to staff overnight.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Dave and his family, and they have our full support during this difficult time,” he said in a report on wxyz.com.

Rexroth was named chief meteorologist in August 2010 and gives forecasts and updates on the evening and night-time newscasts. He’s been with the station since 2000 and lives in Oakland County with his wife Deborah and their three sons, according to WXYZ.

Jeez even the weather guy. I'm not lighting nothing from this point, not even lady fingers or those little snake pellets.

After this weekend I'm with you. For the first time in a long time, we bought a bunch of "real" fireworks (as in something more than some roman candles and sparklers) from the roadside stand in town. Bought a couple of those boxes that fire off like 20-30 shots a piece. Go out on the beach, read the labels on how to position them safely, placed them as directed. Turns out all three boxes had the labels on the wrong side of the box. Each "front" was actually the "side". So when placing them (per the directions) with the "front" toward the viewers, we were actually placing ourselves directly in the blast zone as we were placing the "side" towards the group. No one was hurt, but there was some scrambling to get out of the way and we slightly toasted some trees.
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 am

higgs1634 wrote:
Tea Bag wrote:

After this weekend I'm with you. For the first time in a long time, we bought a bunch of "real" fireworks (as in something more than some roman candles and sparklers) from the roadside stand in town. Bought a couple of those boxes that fire off like 20-30 shots a piece. Go out on the beach, read the labels on how to position them safely, placed them as directed. Turns out all three boxes had the labels on the wrong side of the box. Each "front" was actually the "side". So when placing them (per the directions) with the "front" toward the viewers, we were actually placing ourselves directly in the blast zone as we were placing the "side" towards the group. No one was hurt, but there was some scrambling to get out of the way and we slightly toasted some trees.

Somewhere in this event there was a woman saying "you shouldn't be doing this" and a male of the species ignoring her. Sad story, I hope he recovers and is able to get back to work.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mud Bug » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 am

Last year I moved to a better neighborhood but for the ten years prior, I hated life for three weeks prior to and after every July 4. I don't know what it was about the people who lived on the next street over with their love of fireworks but Good God, did they ever make my life hell with the constant booms and screeches. 2pm or 2am, they could give a shit. They lived in shitty little houses and drove shitty little cars and didn't seem to have regular jobs, so how they were able to buy an arsenal of rockets and window rattling explosives every year is beyond me. I'm always amazed at what people with marginal incomes spend their money on; hell, they can't afford baby formula or a decent suit but the fridge is always stocked with beer or their dirty children are driving around in new battery-powered humvies.

I tried talking to these people once and letting them know how rude it is to light off rocket after booming rocket at 1am on a random Tuesday, but like you'd expect from low class people, there wasn't much sympathy for someone who was threatening their preferred form of recreation.

I feel sorry for the weatherman who lost an eye, that's a horrible thing to have happen. I read that ER visits are up 4X from firework injuries now they're legal in Michigan, so you think this would be a boom time for the personal injury lawyers. I'm not seeing any fresh ads on cable tv looking to recruit fresh victims of fireworks injuries so I wonder if that's because it's practically impossible to sue the companies in China making these finger and eye oblitoraters.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Mud Bug wrote:Last year I moved to a better neighborhood but for the ten years prior, I hated life for three weeks prior to and after every July 4. I don't know what it was about the people who lived on the next street over with their love of fireworks but good God, did they ever make my life hell with the constant booms and screeches. 2pm or 2am, they could give a shit. They lived in shitty little houses and drove shitty little cars and didn't seem to have regular jobs, so how they were able to buy an arsenal of rockets and window rattling explosives every year is beyond me. I'm always amazed at what people with marginal incomes spend their money on; hell, they can't afford baby formula or a decent suit but the fridge is always stocked with beer or their dirty children are driving around in new battery-powered little humvies.

I tried talking to these people once and letting them know how rude it is to light off rocket after booming rocket at 1am on a random Tuesday, but like you'd expect from low class people, there wasn't much sympathy for someone who was threatening their preferred form of recreation.

Yeah, dirtbags are dirtbags and will forever be. The ability to empathize and then mitigate one's own wants & behaviors for the sake of others is a roadmarker for one's level of civilization, and into the bag containing inappropriate use of fireworks I'll add loud gratuitous swearing, littering, honking a horn in the middle of the night to summon somone from a house, etc. Dirtbags.

Postby guest » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Pyrotechnics expert dead after 140-year-old stone house explodes

...he was a licensed explosives expert...

I'll bet there's plenty other explosive experts where he is now.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Tea Bag » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:24 am

Motorist sets lighter to spider at gas station, burns pump

A man with an apparent case of arachnophobia caused a fire at a Center Line gas pump by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door.

WJBK-TV reports Saturday that he escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed. A clerk shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.

The motorist can be heard on the surveillance video at the station asking: “Is that a spider in there?” The video then shows flames erupting along the car’s side, the pump and the pavement.

The man darts to safety and later uses a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. A spider is not seen.

The clerk says he apologized the next day.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /72900542/
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:54 am

Tea Bag wrote:
Motorist sets lighter to spider at gas station, burns pump

A man with an apparent case of arachnophobia caused a fire at a Center Line gas pump by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door.

WJBK-TV reports Saturday that he escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed. A clerk shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.

The motorist can be heard on the surveillance video at the station asking: “Is that a spider in there?” The video then shows flames erupting along the car’s side, the pump and the pavement.

The man darts to safety and later uses a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. A spider is not seen.

The clerk says he apologized the next day.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /72900542/

Is there a "Coulda blowed up real good" thread?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby The Conscience » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:26 am

Fox2 interviewed the attendant. Luckily she saw this guy whip out his lighter and she hit the pump kill switch or there'd be a crater instead of a gas station today.

Whenever I read stories like this, I assume we are dealing with an 'arrested development' type. This probably wasn't this guy's first big 'oops' moment in life- any adult person dumb enough to flick a Bic to kill a spider on his open gas cap surely has a long track record of clueless actions. There were kids in my childhood who would do jackass stoopid things, like riding their bikes off garage roofs, pouring gasoline into a fire, etc. It's a miracle these people make it past adolescence (although some don't).
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:04 pm

The Conscience wrote:Fox2 interviewed the attendant. Luckily she saw this guy whip out his lighter and she hit the pump kill switch or there'd be a crater instead of a gas station today.

Whenever I read stories like this, I assume we are dealing with an 'arrested development' type. This probably wasn't this guy's first big 'oops' moment in life- any adult person dumb enough to flick a Bic to kill a spider on his open gas cap surely has a long track record of clueless actions. There were kids in my childhood who would do jackass stoopid things, like riding their bikes off garage roofs, pouring gasoline into a fire, etc. It's a miracle these people make it past adolescence (although some don't).
stupid doesn't necessarily equate to dare-devil and thrill-seeker, I've found. Sometimes it just means stupid. Case in point was the near-mouth breather boyfriend of a coworkwr at my college job. Dude was nice enough but was just maybe a half-step behind, which nearly did him in the one early morning that he went to turn on the signs for the gas station that he co-managed. Nothing happened when he flipped the swtch so he stuck his key into the breaker and jiggled. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what he touched or how, but the result was that he was blown backward across room and the ignition key for the Firebird was burnes so badly that it never again worked.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion