That blowed up REAL good

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:30 pm

I set my router table on fire yesterday. Accidentally. Didn't realize that you could do that without a match. My boys about pissed themselves laughing, and I'm sure that in their hearts they really all were all "burn baby burn" because none of them seem to really dig my hobby or the times that they're drafted into helping.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby meme » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:13 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:I set my router table on fire yesterday. Accidentally. Didn't realize that you could do that without a match. My boys about pissed themselves laughing, and I'm sure that in their hearts they really all were all "burn baby burn" because none of them seem to really dig my hobby or the times that they're drafted into helping.


I may regret asking this, but how did you do that?
meme
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:46 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 pm

meme wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:I set my router table on fire yesterday. Accidentally. Didn't realize that you could do that without a match. My boys about pissed themselves laughing, and I'm sure that in their hearts they really all were all "burn baby burn" because none of them seem to really dig my hobby or the times that they're drafted into helping.


I may regret asking this, but how did you do that?


By bein' fuckin' idiot, of course. I was experimenting, trying a different way to make a drawer-pull and left the test piece against the bit long enough to really heat up the stock. One damn ember later and all of the accumulated saw dust went up. No real damage, unless you count my diminishment in the eyes of the next generation.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby middle aged female » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
meme wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:I set my router table on fire yesterday. Accidentally. Didn't realize that you could do that without a match. My boys about pissed themselves laughing, and I'm sure that in their hearts they really all were all "burn baby burn" because none of them seem to really dig my hobby or the times that they're drafted into helping.


I may regret asking this, but how did you do that?


By bein' fuckin' idiot, of course. I was experimenting, trying a different way to make a drawer-pull and left the test piece against the bit long enough to really heat up the stock. One damn ember later and all of the accumulated saw dust went up. No real damage, unless you count my diminishment in the eyes of the next generation.

I'm sure this wasn't that much of a shock to your kids, Frank
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7394
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby meme » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
meme wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:I set my router table on fire yesterday. Accidentally. Didn't realize that you could do that without a match. My boys about pissed themselves laughing, and I'm sure that in their hearts they really all were all "burn baby burn" because none of them seem to really dig my hobby or the times that they're drafted into helping.


I may regret asking this, but how did you do that?


By bein' fuckin' idiot, of course. I was experimenting, trying a different way to make a drawer-pull and left the test piece against the bit long enough to really heat up the stock. One damn ember later and all of the accumulated saw dust went up. No real damage, unless you count my diminishment in the eyes of the next generation.


That's actually rather easy to do....did you ever play with that lathe you mentioned elsewhere? Picked up a 1940 Craftsman a while back. Enjoy
playing around with it.
meme
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:46 pm
Location: East Coast

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:17 am

meme wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
meme wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:I set my router table on fire yesterday. Accidentally. Didn't realize that you could do that without a match. My boys about pissed themselves laughing, and I'm sure that in their hearts they really all were all "burn baby burn" because none of them seem to really dig my hobby or the times that they're drafted into helping.


I may regret asking this, but how did you do that?


By bein' fuckin' idiot, of course. I was experimenting, trying a different way to make a drawer-pull and left the test piece against the bit long enough to really heat up the stock. One damn ember later and all of the accumulated saw dust went up. No real damage, unless you count my diminishment in the eyes of the next generation.


That's actually rather easy to do....did you ever play with that lathe you mentioned elsewhere? Picked up a 1940 Craftsman a while back. Enjoy
playing around with it.

Just a l'l bit. With regard to the lathe I mean. Been a lot more about hand-sawing and hand-cut dovetails. It's more a matter of limited time than a lack of interest. But I'm building up to it, and i'll admit that at times I still hink (foolishly) that I can make my own chuck. Prolly can make my own tools too, if the forums and there are to be believed. Flat stock, a tap, and one of those little inserts.....
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:16 am

My two younger boys are on drugs. Not certain what kind, but it's evident that they're on something that has radically changed their moods and behavior. Evidence: last night they came to me with a request to use my workshop: wanna make a device to hold and attach an iPhone to a longboard to record their tricks. They must be on bath salts or something because never in history have they willingly approached the tools. Coming soon to a YouTube channel near you...
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby middle aged female » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:59 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:My two younger boys are on drugs. Not certain what kind, but it's evident that they're on something that has radically changed their moods and behavior. Evidence: last night they came to me with a request to use my workshop: wanna make a device to hold and attach an iPhone to a longboard to record their tricks. They must be on bath salts or something because never in history have they willingly approached the tools. Coming soon to a YouTube channel near you...

Is it because Dad is too cheap to buy them a selfie stick?
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7394
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 pm

middle aged female wrote:Is it because Dad is too cheap to buy them a selfie stick?

Those tthings are a total ripoff. The people selling them just want your money.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:58 pm

This was a crowning achievement of my young life, and after much haranguing is finally available to show the world. First, the story;

The story of
“Operation Rip Van Winkle”
From 1977 until 1992 I worked at an electronics manufacturing company. I met and became best friends with a kindred soul, my buddy Dave. It was a medium-sized company, 100 employees. We were young, impulsive, and enjoyed ourselves at work. Dave made the mistake of (unknowingly) buying the house across the street from this personality we worked with, whom we’ll just call “Bob”.
Bob was older, knowledgeable about our products and services, but given to slacking. One particular habit he had was napping on company time. In the fair weather months he would go out to his car, prop open the door and lay across the bench seat and have a little snooze. It was a poorly kept secret in the company, it seems that everyone except the top management, including Bob’s boss knew this was going on. Dave and I wanted to do something about this. I suggested we stage a little “wake up alarm” with a string of Black Cat firecrackers, placed near his car.
In order to pull this off we needed operatives in certain positions within the company to tell us when we had a “code green”—that Bob was indeed in his car, napping. We enlisted the aid of Linda, the sales department secretary who dealt with all of the calls Bob was not there to take, and Gary in engineering, whose office was located in a strategic part of the building; his second story cubicle had a window overlooking the corner of the parking lot where Bob habitually parked. The plan was simple: when Linda suspected that Bob was out napping she would call up to Gary in engineering, when Gary confirmed she would get on the paging system and announce “Bob _______, call extension 217”. This was in effect a nonsensical page, that extension number was Bob’s extension, and he would not usually call his own extension from elsewhere in the building.
One beautiful October day we got the signal, “Bob _______, call extension 217” we were in code green. I mobilized by dropping what I was doing, go into my desk and grab the string of Black Cats and Bic lighter that had been there waiting. Dave grabbed the company’s video camera and we both proceeded to the back door to fulfill our mission. One big problem; the CEO and VP of sales were standing in the one doorway we needed to go through and were having a heated argument. Mission scuttled.
It was a long winter that year. Bob had to resort to sleeping in his cubicle with his phone off the hook for the duration. The following spring our opportunity came again. We were at work, the page came over the PA system “Bob ______, call extension 217” . I grabbed the Black Cats, Dave grabbed the company video cam, and this time the coast was clear. What you are about to see is the video of this event.



Post script: a few years later I was now in sales, and was picking up the slack on calls that Bob would routinely avoid. The kindly VP of sales (Bob’s boss, now my boss also) retired, the younger #2 man was promoted to that position, and after 90 days in that position, he fired Bob for general slackery. He gave him 90 days to see if his behavior might change, it didn’t. The new VP of sales invited Dave and I out to lunch one day, a somewhat uncharacteristic act. After menu orders were taken, and soft drinks delivered the VP looked to us and said “I’m sure you know by now that Bob has sued us for age discrimination” (we didn’t), he then looked at us and said “I understand you have a certain video tape”? we answered in the affirmative, there were all smiles around the table. The case never went to court.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby D-Day » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Morty wrote:This was a crowning achievement of my young life, and after much haranguing is finally available to show the world. First, the story;

The story of
“Operation Rip Van Winkle”
From 1977 until 1992 I worked at an electronics manufacturing company. I met and became best friends with a kindred soul, my buddy Dave. It was a medium-sized company, 100 employees. We were young, impulsive, and enjoyed ourselves at work. Dave made the mistake of (unknowingly) buying the house across the street from this personality we worked with, whom we’ll just call “Bob”.
Bob was older, knowledgeable about our products and services, but given to slacking. One particular habit he had was napping on company time. In the fair weather months he would go out to his car, prop open the door and lay across the bench seat and have a little snooze. It was a poorly kept secret in the company, it seems that everyone except the top management, including Bob’s boss knew this was going on. Dave and I wanted to do something about this. I suggested we stage a little “wake up alarm” with a string of Black Cat firecrackers, placed near his car.
In order to pull this off we needed operatives in certain positions within the company to tell us when we had a “code green”—that Bob was indeed in his car, napping. We enlisted the aid of Linda, the sales department secretary who dealt with all of the calls Bob was not there to take, and Gary in engineering, whose office was located in a strategic part of the building; his second story cubicle had a window overlooking the corner of the parking lot where Bob habitually parked. The plan was simple: when Linda suspected that Bob was out napping she would call up to Gary in engineering, when Gary confirmed she would get on the paging system and announce “Bob _______, call extension 217”. This was in effect a nonsensical page, that extension number was Bob’s extension, and he would not usually call his own extension from elsewhere in the building.
One beautiful October day we got the signal, “Bob _______, call extension 217” we were in code green. I mobilized by dropping what I was doing, go into my desk and grab the string of Black Cats and Bic lighter that had been there waiting. Dave grabbed the company’s video camera and we both proceeded to the back door to fulfill our mission. One big problem; the CEO and VP of sales were standing in the one doorway we needed to go through and were having a heated argument. Mission scuttled.
It was a long winter that year. Bob had to resort to sleeping in his cubicle with his phone off the hook for the duration. The following spring our opportunity came again. We were at work, the page came over the PA system “Bob ______, call extension 217” . I grabbed the Black Cats, Dave grabbed the company video cam, and this time the coast was clear. What you are about to see is the video of this event.



Post script: a few years later I was now in sales, and was picking up the slack on calls that Bob would routinely avoid. The kindly VP of sales (Bob’s boss, now my boss also) retired, the younger #2 man was promoted to that position, and after 90 days in that position, he fired Bob for general slackery. He gave him 90 days to see if his behavior might change, it didn’t. The new VP of sales invited Dave and I out to lunch one day, a somewhat uncharacteristic act. After menu orders were taken, and soft drinks delivered the VP looked to us and said “I’m sure you know by now that Bob has sued us for age discrimination” (we didn’t), he then looked at us and said “I understand you have a certain video tape”? we answered in the affirmative, there were all smiles around the table. The case never went to court.


This is awesome......

Image
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Yes, Morty, well done. And you get extra points for having the drive to line up 3/4" video, tripod, etc. I think that today we take for granted what it took to be shoot video back in before miniaturization of hardware.

No vids, of course (see first paragraph) but back in my youth we had a jerk-off also named "Bob" in the shoe store. The deal was that 15 or 20 minutes before the close each night everyone would pitch in to vacuum, dust, put things away, etc. All wanted to GTFO so all pitched in EXCEPT for Bob, who'd make a point of grabbing a last-minute customer or trotting off to take a crap. Getting a customer meant another crack at earning our 4% commission and going to the can meant that he could read the torn up GQ mags that lived in there, and in either case Bob didn't do the dirty work. Solution: I threatened to beat his ass once but no impact, so we'd screw with his car. All kinds of things, like bumper stickers for unworthy causes and string of cans tied to the frame. Those were fun stunts, but nothing like young Morty's pyrotechnics.
User avatar
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass
 
Posts: 9163
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: "Avatar repossessed for history of non-payment.."

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:56 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Yes, Morty, well done. And you get extra points for having the drive to line up 3/4" video, tripod, etc. I think that today we take for granted what it took to be shoot video back in before miniaturization of hardware.

No vids, of course (see first paragraph) but back in my youth we had a jerk-off also named "Bob" in the shoe store. The deal was that 15 or 20 minutes before the close each night everyone would pitch in to vacuum, dust, put things away, etc. All wanted to GTFO so all pitched in EXCEPT for Bob, who'd make a point of grabbing a last-minute customer or trotting off to take a crap. Getting a customer meant another crack at earning our 4% commission and going to the can meant that he could read the torn up GQ mags that lived in there, and in either case Bob didn't do the dirty work. Solution: I threatened to beat his ass once but no impact, so we'd screw with his car. All kinds of things, like bumper stickers for unworthy causes and string of cans tied to the frame. Those were fun stunts, but nothing like young Morty's pyrotechnics.


Yeah, this would have been around 1987-'88 and the company Video cam was one of those freakin' huge shoulder-mount things that recorded on a standard VHS cassette, so you know how big and heavy this thing was.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby guest » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:56 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote: ...All kinds of things, like bumper stickers for unworthy causes and string of cans tied to the frame...


Ah yes, the old fuck with their cars trick.

So I took this job in a small shop run by a huge multinational. Their plan was to recruit experienced talent, pick their brains, and take over the business (of gouging the government on price plus contracts). They were shut down within four years. In that time, it was immediately obvious they didn't want to hear from us.

So Roger, an old guy they brought from California, had a favorite prank: take a stiff plastic tie-wrap and snug it on the mark's drive shaft and the untrimmed end slaps on the undercarriage with each revolution, slowly inducing madness. Roger did this to Charlie's van. The next day Charlie was lamenting what a crappy day he had, which included buying a new transmission. The 'oh fuck' look Roger gave me was priceless, but Charlie was one of the three assholes who were around when they started up that misguided venture so fuck him. Especially fuck him for being that stupid.

My next job found me working with a bunch of ballbreakers, Italians from New York, who thought it was funny to soak heavy paper shop towels in water before layering them over some victim's car in freezing weather. I'm glad they didn't do that to me because I'd still be in jail after my revenge.
User avatar
guest
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition
 
Posts: 6633
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am
Location: the old windmill

Re: That blowed up REAL good

Postby Morty » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:15 pm

This probably seemed like a really good idea, at least initially.

https://www.facebook.com/katunews/video ... 350571448/
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests