HFD Interesting Things Done In This Life

About all things in and around the Detroit area

HFD Interesting Things Done In This Life

Postby Mud Bug » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 am

Regal us.

I'll start.

Have canoed/rafted/kayaked all over Michigan, Ontario, Oregon, and Idaho. Almost bit it after flipping on a flooded Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho. Long story with simple ending: it wasn't my time to go.

Met Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

Witnessed Maglio Ordonez crank the ninth inning dinger to clinch the AL pennant, 2006. Best Tiger moment of this life, to date.

Have killed elk in Oregon, caribou in Alaska, pheasant in South Dakota, waterfowl in Minnesota, and 50,000 (low estimate) ground squirrels in Oregon.

Hit a five-figure slots jackpot at MGM Grand shortly after it opened in 1999. Haven't hit shit since.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Re: HFD Interesting Things Done In This Life

Postby middle aged female » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:59 am

Been to the top of Pike's Peak and numerous other mountains.
Saw The Supremes in a private concert only for families of Goodfellow members
Went to many movie premieres in the big movie houses downtown
Blew a .21 and lived to tell about it...(Too soon?)

(BTW, it's regalE, with an E)
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Mad Max » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Mud Bug wrote:Regal us.

I'll start.

Have canoed/rafted/kayaked all over Michigan, Ontario, Oregon, and Idaho. Almost bit it after flipping on a flooded Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho. Long story with simple ending: it wasn't my time to go.

Met Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

Witnessed Maglio Ordonez crank the ninth inning dinger to clinch the AL pennant, 2006. Best Tiger moment of this life, to date.

Have killed elk in Oregon, caribou in Alaska, pheasant in South Dakota, waterfowl in Minnesota, and 50,000 (low estimate) ground squirrels in Oregon.

Hit a five-figure slots jackpot at MGM Grand shortly after it opened in 1999. Haven't hit shit since.

What did you do with the carcass? In the family there's an old story about a great-uncle who poached a moose, and had to quarter it onsite and drag it back to camp with a sled.
Mad Max
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mud Bug » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:25 pm

middle aged female wrote:(BTW, it's regalE, with an E)

From Webster's:

re·gal
\ˈrē-gəl\

: of, relating to, or suitable for a king or queen

Since we're all kings and queens of our collective domains, regal or regale everyone with your highlights.

Mad Max wrote:What did you do with the carcass? In the family there's an old story about a great-uncle who poached a moose, and had to quarter it onsite and drag it back to camp with a sled.

It took five bullets and a halfmile foot chase before the elk went down, luckily only twenty feet from a logging road in the Malheur-Ochoco National Forest. The bull probably weighed 300 pounds gutted but was able to wrestle and hoist into the truck bed with the help of another hunter. Took two hours, start to finish.

The caribou was a different story. Eighty miles by jet boat up the Kwethlik River outside Bethel, Alaska. One bullet, one kill, about a mile from the boat. Had to skin and quarter and hike out piece by piece. The ground was wet lumpy moss and I had hip waders on, which offered no ankle support for carting out 100 pound fronts and hinds on the slippery tundra. Rolled each ankle good a few times and face planted once or twice from the weight. Took all day.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Spent a summer trying to make a go on a fishing boat in Alaska. Long story short, the end result was getting paid $40 for six weeks work, living in a Kodiak, AK homeless shelter while working in various canneries, and ten days sleeping under a bridge before making it home

Jumped out of a perfectly good airplane 32 times and got paid to do it
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:50 pm

For the most part my interesting stuff is pretty run of the mill. Mostly things others have done earlier, better, or more often. What might be unique, or at least what I hope is unique here, is watching one of my kids die and then be brought back right in front of me. This was when he was born early and went breach. He's fine now, but no bullshit, something like this is way too big for words. If you've ever had a profound religious experience or a moment of enlightenment then you've been there.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby James Scott » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:55 am

Come to think of it, my life hasn't been that incredibly interesting, at least to me.

Most things are famous people I've met, sports events, and concerts. I'd list all that stuff, but.... :lol:

I did catch a record perch once, but has been eclipsed since.

Ran for public office once, and lost. That's off the bucket list, if it ever was on it in the first place.

5 kids and 7 grand kids, and a wife that will put up with my BS, which matters more than anything else, I think.
Hipsters, douchebags and lumberjacks. All can be found in abundance in Midtown and Downtown.
James Scott
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Not in Detroit, but close. Just like hand grenades, tiddlywinks, and horseshoes.

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 am

James Scott wrote:Come to think of it, my life hasn't been that incredibly interesting, at least to me.

Most things are famous people I've met, sports events, and concerts. I'd list all that stuff, but.... :lol:

Ran for public office once, and lost. That's off the bucket list, if it ever was on it in the first place.

5 kids and 7 grand kids, and a wife that will put up with my BS, which matters more than anything else, I think.

You forgot to add this to your interesting things done list...

Kept it from HFD for years that I have as many kids as FUIGB and that I'm old enough to be your dad.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby James Scott » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 am

Roquefort Robert wrote:
James Scott wrote:Come to think of it, my life hasn't been that incredibly interesting, at least to me.

You forgot to add this to your interesting things done list...

Kept it from HFD for years that I have as many kids as FUIGB and that I'm old enough to be your dad.

I can't really say that it was a big secret about my age, but whatever. Frank still surpasses me in the kid department, though. technically.
Hipsters, douchebags and lumberjacks. All can be found in abundance in Midtown and Downtown.
James Scott
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Not in Detroit, but close. Just like hand grenades, tiddlywinks, and horseshoes.

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 am

- Met my share of famous (and infamous) people. The ones I remember most were the ones who said thank you at the end of the interview.
- Drove from San Francisco to Cleveland, by way of Chez Ya Mar, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, etc. Great trip with a great friend.
- Got my entry published in Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary. I about hit the ceiling when I saw my name printed in it.
- Was there when Yzerman scored in double OT against St. Louis, Ordonez homered against the A's, Duckett caught the last-second TD pass vs. Michigan and Manningham caught a last-second TD pass against Penn State. The Duckett game was the best.
- Hiked a five-mile trail to Abrams Falls in Cades Cove of the Smoky Mountains National Park with my sis and 2-month-old niece. That was one of the best.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby ldodger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Traveled Europe alone.

I've stayed on a houseboat on the Charles River in Prague.

Spent a bunch of time in the city of Berlin. I probably know Berlin as well as I know Detroit.

betterhalf proposed to me on the porch of the Grand Hotel. He'd planned to ask me the day before, but I'd had too much beer and was hiccuping uncontrollably.

I ran for office--unsuccessfully.

I ran three successful county commission campaigns for friends.

During my environmental activist days, I was taken into custody, but never charged.

Met quite a few famous people--including Christian Slater.

Gave a tour of Detroit to a popular television star. In fact, I gave the star a tour last year. This year, the entire family came along.

Successfully completed a MSU fellowship program.

Cared for both my parents at the end of the lives.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby guest » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Regrets? I've had a few. But, then again, too few to mention.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm

guest wrote:Regrets? I've had a few. But, then again, too few to mention.

Did what you had to do, and made it through without exemption?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby MICHIGAN » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 am

guest wrote:Regrets? I've had a few. But, then again, too few to mention.

I love you, man.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby higgs1634 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 am

I joined the Marines after my freshman year at MSU... on a bit of a whim.

I don't know if I'd say they were the best years of my life...but I'm not sure what I would've traded them for. Of course, my time in was while we were between our Middle east excursions. I spent the entire time (other than boot camp and schooling) out of the US and the vast majority of it as a Marine Security Guard. For some reason while i was on the program there was an unusually large attrition rate at MSG School (which already had a pretty high wash out rate) as well as a higher than usual number of guys getting booted off the program for some sort of shenanigans while on duty. Because of the shortage, and because of the African Embassy bombings driving a ramp up in embassy security needs, I had the opportunity to extend my tour and was able to spend way more time on the program than most people.

I'd like to thank the American taxpayer for allowing me to live very well in some pretty exotic locales. For those who don't know, Embassies and a few of the larger Consulates are protected by Marines. Watch standers are junior Marines...Lance Corporal to Sergeant. Watchstanders are required to be single and are housed either on the embassy compound in apartments or (as was my experience) in a large house nearby the embassy/consulate (think fraternity house...full of Marines). Houses are staffed with cooks, housekeepers, full time driver with dedicated embassy vehicle (watchstanders were not allowed to drive). Owing to their size, the houses are usually in the more swanky areas of town and every Marine House has a bar (in some countries, it's the only place to get booze) and large parties to raise funds for the Marine Ball every year. So, they were social centers of the the ex-pat community. Not just for parties, but for movie nights, trick or treating/haunted houses for the kids, and breakfast with Santa...etc. From what I hear, post 9/11 some of that has been curtailed. So, all in all, a pretty sweet life....in between other US embassies being truck bombed, massive scary protests, IEDs planted on the compound walls, US ally embassies being bombed nearby, and people lighting themselves on fire or otherwise going berserk in the Visa line that is. As the saying goes...the job was a 1000 hours of boredom and 30 seconds of sheer terror.

Met two US Presidents, a Sec Def, a Sec of State, various ambassadors and diplomatic VIPs, some high profile Congress critters, a few b list celebrities, went heli-snowboarding in Central Asia, got to go to quite a few black tie events, concerts, VIP/after hours/backstage tours of World Heritage type places due to embassy connections, and I was involved in a couple of things I'm (as far as I know) still not allowed to talk about- which really weren't that exciting...but it sounds cool when I say that.
Last edited by higgs1634 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to General Discussion