first world problems

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: first world problems

Postby gnome » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:55 am

nothing worse than not having anything to complain about. Now I gotta be all sulky 'n stuff until I can find something crappy-ish.
Sic semper tyrannis
gnome
Hot Fudge Team Player

Postby MICHIGAN » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:30 am

Yoga instructor opened our practice by reading from Mitch Albom's new book.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby middle aged female » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:14 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:Yoga instructor opened our practice by reading from Mitch Albom's new book.

Time to find a new yoga instructor
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Roquefort Robert » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:03 pm

middle aged female wrote:
MICHIGAN wrote:Yoga instructor opened our practice by reading from Mitch Albom's new book.

Time to find a new yoga instructor

Little Boys.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:35 pm

It can be a little aggravating when someone comes in shot, rolled their car, can't breathe or whatever and we can't get them to put down the cell and stop texting so we can start working on them. That, and when the whole neighborhood shows up before we even receive the patient after word went out on social media (although it can be entertaining to watch the fights that ensue in the waiting room).
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:40 pm

Back to back to back Christmas parties. At work. With clients. Vendors. Neighbors. Friends. It's getting that I need a break from shrimp and pale ales.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Craig wrote:Back to back to back Christmas parties. At work. With clients. Vendors. Neighbors. Friends. It's getting that I need a break from shrimp and pale ales.

Only thing worse would be lobster and champagne
middle aged female

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:41 am

Detroit renters frustrated by lack of recycling options

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/2016/09/01/detroit-renters-frustrated-lack-recycling-options/89678210/

Oh dear, the Neandertals running this apartment block don't love the earth!

I liked the lead-in:
Walk into Ryan Floring’s storage closet, and you’ll find cases of empty Oberon, Angry Orchard and Summer Shandy bottles. The beer bottles, among other cans and boxes, have cluttered the closet for over a year because his apartment doesn’t offer recycling.

“Because there’s no real easy way to do it, I just don’t do it,” says Floring, a resident of Detroit City Apartments on Washington Boulevard, “so they just build up.”

I had a friend like that. He took over his father's house after the old guy retired and moved out. In time the basement had bags full of empty beer cans and pop bottles. But we didn't diagnose him as tree-loving, instead we said that he was lazy.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby middle aged female » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:05 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/2016/09/01/detroit-renters-frustrated-lack-recycling-options/89678210/

I liked the lead-in:
Walk into Ryan Floring’s storage closet, and you’ll find cases of empty Oberon, Angry Orchard and Summer Shandy bottles. The beer bottles, among other cans and boxes, have cluttered the closet for over a year because his apartment doesn’t offer recycling.

“Because there’s no real easy way to do it, I just don’t do it,” says Floring, a resident of Detroit City Apartments on Washington Boulevard, “so they just build up.”

I had a friend like that. He took over his father's house after the old guy retired and moved out. In time the basement had bags full of empty beer cans and pop bottles. But we didn't diagnose him as tree-loving, instead we said that he was lazy.

What's he talking about recycling for; that's bottle returns. I'll pick 'em up; shit, a years worth of bottles is a fair chunk of change.
middle aged female

Postby middle aged female » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:

I liked the lead-in:

Follow up story (sorta)
Apparently not everyone knows this. The Detroit News has had some groundbreaking work lately, such as a terrifying investigation into dirty surgical tools used at the Detroit Medical Center, but now they’re doing a bang-up job of exposing how stupid and lazy millennials living downtown really are.

Once, he left four bags on the street, where a homeless person soon picked them up. Otherwise, the 28-year-old Quicken Loans mortgage banker can’t bring himself to throw away items of value.

“When I was a kid we didn’t have a whole lot of money, so I would grab all the empty bottles from my house, cash them in and buy whatever I needed,” he says. “I saved a lot of money that way.”....
We know that Floring regularly buys beer since he’s got a closet full of empties. And you mean to tell me that it never dawned on him that each time he goes to buy more beer, he could have returned some of his empties at the same store? Do I have that right? Or even if that particular store didn’t take them, he couldn’t take them to another store nearby?

The kid knows how bottle returns work, as explained when he used to cash in old bottles when he was younger, but does he not know that it works exactly the same way in the city of Detroit?

Is this the price we pay for Detroit’s revival? Bringing in a bunch of spoiled, clueless kids who are too bothered to carry a few empty bottles to the store and get money back for them?

http://www.blacdetroit.com/BLAC-Detroit/September-2016/Detroit-is-overrun-with-lazy-millennials-who-dont-know-how-to-return-bottles-or-function-as-adults/
middle aged female

Postby Amadeus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Both of my kids paid for their 8th grade trip to DC with a bottle and can drive from people like this guy. There are more people like these millenials than you might think.

The school they went to canvasses the neighborhoods around the school in the fall. One weekend the kids pass out flyers to the houses and the next weekend they collect the offerings and deliver them to several Kroger's for redemption. For about 3 hours of work on two weekends, the boys got around $800.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Toolbox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:06 am

Amadeus wrote:Both of my kids paid for their 8th grade trip to DC with a bottle and can drive from people like this guy. There are more people like these millenials than you might think.

The school they went to canvasses the neighborhoods around the school in the fall. One weekend the kids pass out flyers to the houses and the next weekend they collect the offerings and deliver them to several Kroger's for redemption. For about 3 hours of work on two weekends, the boys got around $800.

When the bottle return started that's how we paid for our Atari 2600 game cartridges.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Toolbox wrote:
Amadeus wrote:Both of my kids paid for their 8th grade trip to DC with a bottle and can drive from people like this guy. There are more people like these millenials than you might think.

When the bottle return started that's how we paid for our Atari 2600 game cartridges.

Ha, I remember having a conversation along these lines with my father. No, was the answer, as in if I were able to raise that kind of money then the last thing that I'd be allowed to do is shoot it all away on a damn TV game.

We got the better of him, though: every year my brothers and I would submit drawings for the Kellogg's big giveaway contest (Stick up for Breakfast?) and I'll be damned if my younger brother didn't win the time that they gave away Atari games. So as to not burn images into the screen of the color TV we were allowed to hook up this freebie to a portable black and white that was inherited from a deceased distant cousin. Nonetheless we were ecstatic.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Four days after our Christmas feast and we're still chipping away at the leftover prime rib. Boy, I could just go for a salad about now.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:19 am

Craig wrote:Four days after our Christmas feast and we're still chipping away at the leftover prime rib. Boy, I could just go for a salad about now.

I know that feeling; between the kielbasa and chocolates and cookies my innards feel like they're riding on a tramp steamer. Went to dinner at Traffic Jam and Snug last night and the tossed salad was like a little rescue boat.
middle aged female

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion