The Booze Thread

About all things in and around the Detroit area

The Booze Thread

Postby D-Day » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Stopped in at Two James after TdT 15, where I met a good friend from HS who also did the ride. Gotta say I was a little skeptical of what to expect given the hipsterification of Corktown of which Two James is kind of emblematic, but ho-lee shit. Drinks were outstanding. Friend bought me a bottle of Grass Widow and is it ever good. Not sure it's $60 good, which is what it cost, based upon what I can get for that price here on the Southern OP, but it is outstanding

Looking forward to going back
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Re: The Booze Thread

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Good booze? I hope to get some: I'm in San Diego for a few days of meeting fun and am counting on someone with more stripes than me to pick up the tab. Hoping to do some exploring around the high end of the Dewars' line ( in keeping with an earlier theme). If not, well, I've not died of thirst yet...
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Morty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:47 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I had me some awesome Miller high Life and Kesslers on Saturday night.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby MICHIGAN » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Morty wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I had me some awesome Miller high Life and Kesslers on Saturday night.

Good man, I hope you had quite a few Hoover Specials for those of us out of town.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby Toolbox » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:21 am

MICHIGAN wrote:
Morty wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I had me some awesome Miller high Life and Kesslers on Saturday night.

Good man, I hope you had quite a few Hoover Specials for those of us out of town.

Trust me, he did! I stayed with soft drinks because I had a company car for the weekend.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Toolbox wrote:
MICHIGAN wrote:

Trust me, he did! I stayed with soft drinks because I had a company car for the weekend.

Were you there when I got banned by phone??
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Beav » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:55 pm

I don't remember a damn thing.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm changing planes at Heathrow on my way to Rome in a couple of weeks and will have some duty-free time whilst I wait. Any suggestions on decent, not so smoky, Scots whiskey I might want to pick up? Preferably something that's hard (or impossible) to find in the US of A?
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby MICHIGAN » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 pm

When I want a non-smokey scotch, I like Dalwhinnie. I know that it can be purchased in the US of A, so it doesn't meet all requirements, but damn if it is not the smoothest single malt out there.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby D-Day » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:13 pm

MICHIGAN wrote:When I want a non-smokey scotch, I like Dalwhinnie. I know that it can be purchased in the US of A, so it doesn't meet all requirements, but damn if it is not the smoothest single malt out there.

They sell it here!!

http://thepartysource.com/dalwhinnie-si ... otch-15-yr
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Got this as a gift from my brother-in-law and finally cracked it open last night. Not bad. Not bad at all.

My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Craig » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:23 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Got this as a gift from my brother-in-law and finally cracked it open last night. Not bad. Not bad at all.

There some very good whiskies that come out of Japan. Suntory, the brand pitched by Bill Murray's character in Lost in Translation, is an excellent Asian interpretation of Scotch. It's not a cheap date, though.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby guest » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Windsor mayor faces online backlash after gifting whiskey to Michael Phelps

I thought it was a nice gesture, 850ml of Canadian Club with a personalized label and all, but if you can't handle having it in the house then just re-gift it and be done with it.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:25 am

guest wrote:
Windsor mayor faces online backlash after gifting whiskey to Michael Phelps

I thought it was a nice gesture, 850ml of Canadian Club with a personalized label and all, but if you can't handle having it in the house then just re-gift it and be done with it.

I know absolutely nothing about Michael Phelps relationship with booze, but I do know a lot of people who can't handle having it in the house and it would never make it to the regifting phase. It would be gone before they got it into the aforementioned home.
That said, I'm guessing the mayor just wanted to give him something that Windsor is famous for and unless Phelps wanted to go to the ballet, the choices are limited
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Return to General Discussion