Big Thinks

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Big Thinks

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Using a nav system shuts down the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus in the sense that when navigating the brain stops learning landmarks and routes. The consequence is, of course, an inability to navigate by anything but the nav route as learning has slowed.

I've always been a map reader, as in I can study and enjoy a street, highway, or topo map as much as I can a book, and I've wondered how people perceive their world when they cannot read a map and/or always fall asleep when riding as a passenger. Is the destination of every trip a surprise?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-03/ucl-so031617.php
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Big Thinks

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Funny you should mention this.
My wife worked in public affairs for AAA in Chicago for several years before her current job and chuckled when I went digging for an old TripTik before our road trip. She worships at the altar of Google Maps.

I'm a map person. Always have and always will be. Years of driving down I-75 to visit my sister in Knoxville made me a sucker for roadside attractions, museums or other curiosities.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Re: Big Thinks

Postby Craig » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Everywhere, lately, we see evidence of the collapse of brick and mortar retail. Chains are going bankrupt and the delivery business is so good that maybe the USPS will be saved, albeit by hauling on Sundays the crap that is ordered online. "But people will always want to actually shop" retort the naysayers, and indeed why would one fool around with finding online and then having shipped the things that you really need. Books and jewelry, yeah, but nuts and bolts?

Well, maybe now I see how retail truly will die.

In a wind storm one of the plastic shutters on my house was blown off and snapped in two. It was a hell of a storm so I have no complaints about this happening. So the thing is busted beyond repair but I'm handy enoufh to find and install another so off to Menards I go. But Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot all have the same answer: the size and style that I want is available only by special order. Bullshit, these are all but standard issue: colonial-style, raised panel, come in twenty colors but they can be painted any way that you like. The choice is easy, either I fumble-fuck around with a hard to find retail dunce OR I find an online supplier and the product is in my hands by Wednesday. I'm thinking online is the way to go: no more returning to the store and no more frustrations. Something simple like disposable shutters and the big three of home improvement cannot deliver.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Return to General Discussion