Opening and Closing

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Opening and Closing

Postby The Beav » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Toolbox wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
The Beav wrote:
Shark wrote:Seeing some social media saying that Jacoby's is done after Saturday. Anyone know if they're just selling it to a new owner or if it's gone for good?

If I heard some rumors and remember them correctly, it's being bought by the folks who own Legends. Something like that.

Does that mean anything: good, bad, or benign? Jacoby's isn't the cat's ass but it's good enough that I've driven people down from way up here to experience it. Hate to see it implode.

Probably means titty bar.

Nope. New owners, same concept, is what I heard.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby meme » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:33 am

meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:59 am

Just read the Freep version and was barely surprised to see that they guy who sold me historic pocket versions of Evangeline and Rime of the Ancient Mariner with stitched binding for two bucks in 1988 was still on the job. That was a cool stop when I was in school down there: a hippy anachronism but not at all creepy like Little Read Books just across from Wayne. I remember the guy at Big usual going on with some other holdout freak or two about erudite bullshit like contending theories about the origins of domesticated maize or who might have been the real author of Taming of the Shrew. Little Red Books dude struck me as a straight up deviant and it was easy to imagine him somehow enticing in a naive undergrad, like the witch in Hansel and Gretel with the gingerbread house, and then locking the door.

I feel sad for the Big Books hippy, though. He had THE life for decades. People like me moved on and broke their spirit raising families and working for the man, but Hippy just bullshitted on and had a life that may have been stilted in some want s but also is to be envied because he did what he loved.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby meme » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:11 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
meme wrote:Detroit's oldest bookstore is closing:http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/15815/detroit_s_oldest_bookstore_close_to_turning_its_final_page#.V96Uha2HOKl

I feel sad for the Big Books hippy, though. He had THE life for decades. People like me moved on and broke their spirit raising families and working for the man, but Hippy just bullshitted on and had a life that may have been stilted in some want s but also is to be envied because he did what he loved.

Guy had the life he wanted for a long time....he'll find some other store soon enough. maybe a bar to be the local character in....

made it a point to go to the big king store. great place but like all used book stores they are hit and miss. you never know what you[ll find but odds of finding a particular book are not great.

i think i drove past this store but it didnt look like it was open....or maybe just a little too creepy looking to bother with....
meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:21 pm

I wonder why John King isn't making room for this guy elsewhere? My first ever thought was "what a heartless shit" to not give him some made-up position at minimum wage. The guy basically has worked his entire life for you, Joh-o, so throw him a bone and let him work another five or ten as deputy commander of floor five or whatever. Then it occurred to me: maybe here's not a minimum employee. Good on him if so, but maybe that's why he's without a seat on the last helicopter out.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby meme » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:20 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:I wonder why John King isn't making room for this guy elsewhere? My first ever thought was "what a heartless shit" to not give him some made-up position at minimum wage. The guy basically has worked his entire life for you, Joh-o, so throw him a bone and let him work another five or ten as deputy commander of floor five or whatever. Then it occurred to me: maybe here's not a minimum employee. Good on him if so, but maybe that's why he's without a seat on the last helicopter out.

The guy travels from Sterling Heights to get there (if i read correctly) so i dont think
he could work for the min wage. my guess is he is salaried to get around the 40 hr thing. probably didnt want to go min wage flunky at his age. at 62 he can pull social security so he has to hang in there til then.
meme
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Toolbox » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:29 pm

He will have a few openings a day/night while serving time.

Charles Pugh pleads guilty, could spend 15 years in prison

Former Detroit City Council president and ex-TV anchor Charles Pugh admitted to having sex with a minor today and agreed to serve 5 1/2 to 15 years in prison as part of a plea deal he accepted.

Walking into court, Pugh, 45, faced five counts of criminal sexual conduct, including three first-degree charges that carry a maximum life prison sentence and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct, punishable by up to 15 years in prison...

Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Toolbox wrote:He will have a few openings a day/night while serving time.

Former Detroit City Council president and ex-TV anchor Charles Pugh admitted to having sex with a minor today and agreed to serve 5 1/2 to 15 years in prison as part of a plea deal he accepted.

Walking into court, Pugh, 45, faced five counts of criminal sexual conduct, including three first-degree charges that carry a maximum life prison sentence and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct, punishable by up to 15 years in prison...

Yeah, like that'll be a real hardship for him
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Toolbox » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:18 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Toolbox wrote:He will have a few openings a day/night while serving time.

Yeah, like that'll be a real hardship for him

But now he will be the bitch and not the top.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:44 pm

The Pistons will play in the new arena begining in the '17-'18 season per a leak reported in the DN.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2016/11/21/dda-meeting-tuesday/94223866/

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing if the optimism shared earlier about a rich life AFTER a departure of the Pistons holds up.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby guest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:55 pm

the QLINE powers up today

edit - OK, so it's actually being pulled up and down Woodward by a tow truck, close enough
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Toolbox » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:41 am

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /98185364/

Detroit officials on Monday ordered that the Russell Industrial Center close following a city inspection that claimed ordinance violations and other issues at the sprawling complex seen as a bustling artist hotspot amid urban decay.

The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department claims the owners of the site at 1600 Clay failed to follow guidelines when erecting several multiple commercial and residential tenant units, director David Bell said in a statement.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Toolbox wrote:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/02/21/detroits-russell-industrial-center-ordered-closed/98185364/

Detroit officials on Monday ordered that the Russell Industrial Center close following a city inspection that claimed ordinance violations and other issues at the sprawling complex seen as a bustling artist hotspot amid urban decay.

The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department claims the owners of the site at 1600 Clay failed to follow guidelines when erecting several multiple commercial and residential tenant units, director David Bell said in a statement.

I imagine it's hard to keep something that big off the radar.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby gravitymachine » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:35 am

Toolbox wrote:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/02/21/detroits-russell-industrial-center-ordered-closed/98185364/

Still waiting on those dicks to fix the goddamn freight elevator in our building (#2) so i can get my shit out, almost a month after the city issued this. goddamn thing has been broken since July 2016.

Sure Keffalinos got a deal to fix it or whatever, but after dealing with the shitbag used car salesman managment in front office for years, them moving in a weed dispensary on my floor, power outages and this broken elevator, there is no going back. Even if they do fix it all in 120 days, the same dicks are going to keep running it.

I feel bad for the large scale businesses that are so rooted in that place due to size, installed infrastructure, etc that have to tough it out or have little short term alternatives.
gravitymachine
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: she'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Previous

Return to General Discussion